Topic: Kenny Florian

Fighter Rant: Kenny Florian.

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

BodyModifier
BodyModifier
  • Predictions:  21  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,608
  • Post Score: 152

10.14.2011 | 12:52 AM ET

A very well thought out post showing laud from a member on ufc.com. Thought I'd share.

Kenny Florian showed allot of heart in his last bout against Aldo, and he earned some more respect from me. 
Florian has competed in four weight classes in the UFC, and that is amazing, he started in 185 on The Ultimate Fighter, making it to the Finale against against Diego Sanchez, a fight which he ultimately lost. After that fight, he dropped to 170 lbs and won two fights there, only to drop to Lightweight where he was a mainstay for years. 
Kenny's Lightweight career was where I started to see him in a new light, he dominated Sam Stout for a shot at the Lightweight Title against Sean Sherk, where he was out-wrestled. This would be his first Title loss, and the only shot he would get for three years. 
After the loss to Sherk, Florian went undefeated for over a year with 7 wins and 6 finishes over top LW competition, earning his second challenge for the Lightweight belt. Sadly, this time he had to fight a BJ Penn at the top of his game, and of course, Florian lost that fight. Proving that he isn't the best in the division, but a strong #2. Kenny proceeded to get two more finishes by submission in the Lightweight division, gaining another #1 contender fight, this time against Gray Maynard, which Kenny lost. Florian was still #2 in the division as Gray Maynard was essentially tied for the #1 spot with Frankie Edgar until last Saturday, given the draw. 
Florian opted to move to Featherweight after the loss to Maynard, rather than making another run at the coveted Lightweight belt. He made a quick run at the Title at 145 lbs, getting a shot with only one decision win over Diego Nunes. 
The bout with 145 champ Aldo was a great technical display where Kenny just came up short against the younger, faster fighter. Kenny is #2 again. 

The reason I am writing this is because people hate on KenFlo for always coming up short, where I think he deserves a tonne of respect for always putting it on the line and being able to fight for a Title so much. This guy had four number one contender match ups, and won 3, that is really impressive. Kenny always comes to finish fights, and he is one of the best technical fighters in the UFC; he has outstanding Jiu Jitsu, great Muay Thai striking, and he uses his reach well. Yet people hate on him for not winning a World Title.
I see nothing wrong with being #2, with so many people striving to be numero uno, there has to be some respect for the second best. No one has been able to hold that number two spot longer, and in more places than Florian. Kenny also has a good win percentage, if you can't beat Kenny, the chances are, you aren't Championship material, he is the Ultimate gatekeeper. KenFlo also has a great finishing record, seriously, does anyone in the UFC have more Rear Naked Choke wins in the Octagon than Florian?
Regardless of whether he has worn the belt, he has always been around to fight for it, and he has always been a challenge for the Champion. Sherk was cut and bleeding all over the place against Florian, BJ Penn took four rounds to get him out of there. While Aldo couldn't put Kenny away despite being the younger, higher ranked, more athletic fighter.
Florian is a nice guy, he is articulate, intelligent, and good looking. He makes a good commentator when he isn't fighting. When he is fighting, Florian is exciting, he finishes fights, and he is respectful, all good things to see in MMA. Regardless of his future, I don't think he will be going away from MMA anytime soon. 
This thread was actually inspired by the article on the UFC home page, and I just wanted to give my thoughts on Kenny's current position, his past, and his future. I hope my opinion is welcome, and leave some thoughts on Florian's future, and what you think of the long-time bi-divisional number two fighter on the planet (even if he does have a stupid nickname).

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Kenny "KenFlo" Florian

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Kenneth Alan Florian
  • Pro MMA Record: 14-6-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: KenFlo
  • Current Streak: 1 Loss
  • Last Fight: October 08, 2011 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Featherweight | Last Weigh-In: 145.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Florian Martial Arts Center
  • Height: 5'10" (178cm) | Reach: 74.0" (188cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $428,000 USD
  • Born: Westwood, Massachusetts, United States
  • Fighting out of: Brookline, Massachusetts
  • Head Coach: Keith Florian
  • Other Coaches: Firas Zahabi
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

Crumx7
Crumx7
  • Predictions:  1,598  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,110
  • Post Score: 181

10.14.2011 | 12:55 AM ET

He gets down on himself because of his lack of a championship.  He really is an incredible fighter and a great model for the sport of MMA.  I'm sure no matter where he ends up he will thrive.  He makes a great commentator and he could still dominate a lot of people in a lot of divisions.  Easily one of my favorite fighters of all time.  Hopefully we find out his fate soon.

"If you think about it, life is your one big chance" Follow @CRUMxMMA on Twitter

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

10.14.2011 | 2:24 AM ET

I'm a fan of his and hope he sticks around.  He's a wonderful fighter, has tons of heart & I enjoy his fights.  I'd love to see him fight Edgar, Henderson, Guillard and lots more.  Hang in there, Kenny!

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

thefreeman
thefreeman
  • Predictions:  9,459  |  59.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,751
  • Post Score: 198

10.14.2011 | 3:35 AM ET

@Bill are there any FW matches you want to see?
dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  20,574  |  71.3%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

10.14.2011 | 3:42 AM ET

kenny is a great fighter and i think we'll see him fight again, but hopefully in the LW divison he looked good against nunes and won 2 rounds against one of the best p4p fighters, at least on my score cards, but LW is the better div. for him. maybe he could rematch with sean sherk or something like that

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

10.14.2011 | 10:14 AM ET

Kenny is not my favorite

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

Digler
Digler
  • Predictions:  78  |  67.9%
  • Forum Posts:  111
  • Post Score: 149

10.14.2011 | 11:43 AM ET

I thought Florian gave Aldo the biggest challenge to date and fought an excellent fight. 
MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,050  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,481
  • Post Score: 203

10.14.2011 | 11:54 AM ET

KenFlo is a good fighter.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

mmAPR0digy
mmAPR0digy
  • Predictions:  13,158  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,307
  • Post Score: 144

10.14.2011 | 12:13 PM ET

I think he could take Mendes at 145 @freeman, or Jorgenson. 

"I just want to be known as the best ever, is that too much to ask? - BJ Penn"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

10.14.2011 | 12:22 PM ET

@thefreeman  I am really not that familiar with the FeatherWeight division.  I've seen Jose Aldo fight Mark Hominick and it was great.  I know that Mike Brown defeated Urijah Faber twice.  Tyson Griffin is good but I wish he had stayed at LW.  I'm sorry the UFC released Joe Stevenson.  He was a long-time favorite of mine.

I haven't taken the time to really research the FW or BW yet.  But I will get to it.  I can't afford to buy the PPVs so I have to catch whatever else is shown on free TV.  

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

10.14.2011 | 12:44 PM ET

Go to a bar @Bill

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

thefreeman
thefreeman
  • Predictions:  9,459  |  59.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,751
  • Post Score: 198

10.14.2011 | 12:48 PM ET

@Bill Good suggestions, I think the UFC will make the Hominick fight if Kenny decides to continue his career. Mike Brown probably needs a few wins before they give him a contender again as he just rebounded off a losing streak although I personally believe he will make a comeback.

@prodigy I think Mendes is too strong a wrestler for Florian but you never know. As for Jorgensen, who I love to watch, I don't think Kenny will be dropping weight again haha.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : Conor McGregor scoffs at retirement: ‘It’s to the motherf****** grave’
  • MMA Mania : Whittaker: Chimaev Fight ‘Came Out Of Nowhere’
  • MMA Junkie : Why 2022 PFL welterweight champ Sadibou Sy moved to light heavyweight for upcoming season
  • MMAFighting.com : Robert Whittaker reacts to Khamzat Chimaev fight at UFC Saudi Arabia: ‘It’s a bit of a shock’
  • MMA Mania : GSP ‘Would Have Put Khabib Down’
  • MMAFighting.com : Logan Paul reveals he had ‘suicidal thoughts’ amid CryptoZoo scandal fallout: ‘I was spiraling’
  • UFC.com : The State Of UFC During UFC 100 And 200
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Not the smartest in the ring fighter’: Robert Garcia not convinced Rolly will beat Pitbull
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Not the smartest in the ring fighter’: Robert Garcia not convinced Rolando Romero will beat Isaac Cruz
  • MMA Mania : Prospect Watch! Say Hello To Ernesto ‘Starboy’ Rodriguez
  • UFC.com : Vicente Luque: Expect Fireworks
  • MMA Mania : Aging Mac Will Fight Until He’s ‘Laid Out Flat’
  • Middle Easy : Georges St-Pierre Believes He ‘Would Have Beat’ Khabib in Rumored Superfight, Reveals His MMA GOATs
  • UFC.com : Erin Blanchfield Is Having A Full-Circle Moment
  • MMA Junkie : ONE 168 headlined by Stamp Fairtex vs. Jing Nan Xiong dual champion bout
  • MMAFighting.com : Dana White reveals story behind heated negotiation with UFC sponsor: ‘Take your money … shove it right up your ass’
  • UFC.com : Manon Fiorot Has Gold On Her Mind
  • Middle Easy : Brendan Schaub Calls Conor McGregor The ‘Most Underpaid Athlete’ of All Time: ‘No One Wants to Hear This’
  • MMA Mania : Adesanya ‘Ready To Go’ For DDP Fight At UFC 305
  • MMAFighting.com : Alexander Shabliy ‘not fully sure’ Usman Nurmagomedov fight happening, still awaiting contract and terms from PFL