Tapology Forums

Boxing Fighter Vs. MMA Fighter

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

pairofsixteenz
pairofsixteenz
  • Predictions:  1,123  |  58.8%
  • Forum Posts:  48
  • Post Score: 100

10.06.2011 | 1:18 PM ET

What two fighters would you like to see fight each other?
Tyson vs. Randy Couture would be cool to see.

"LIKE US on facebook @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pair-Of-Sixteenz/233492496679986"

Responses

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

10.06.2011 | 1:21 PM ET

I honestly would never be interested in seeing a top-flight boxer fight a top-flight MMA fighter in an MMA rules match or a boxing match. Each would get totally blown out in the other's domain. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

10.06.2011 | 1:25 PM ET

I agree with @Skelliher...The boxer would have a better shot against the MMA guy in MMA though, because of the stand-up, but for the hell of it lets throw out my pick

Andre Ward vs. Nick Diaz...In a boxing match would be awesome so we could see Nick Diaz get lit up  

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

10.06.2011 | 1:31 PM ET

I wouldn't necessarily say the boxer would have a better chance in MMA. People seem to forget how easy it is for even an intermediate level wrestler to take a boxer to the ground. Boxers also aren't used to fighting with 4ox gloves or reacting to the different punches and kicks thrown by martial arts fighters. I think it depends on the individuals involved.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

norbar
norbar
  • Predictions:  2,367  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  473
  • Post Score: 129

10.06.2011 | 2:50 PM ET

I agree with skelliher. If that was the case top level kickboxers would also own mma and without TDD they suck massively.

"“Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.” ― Oscar Wilde"

RWLawman
RWLawman
  • Predictions:  2,583  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,053
  • Post Score: 173

10.06.2011 | 3:37 PM ET

I think Nick Diaz vs. any top level professional boxer would end up with Diaz on the canvas.  His boxing is not that great, it's just that he applies it well to an MMA setting, and doesn't have many concerns about being taken down, because he has such high level Jits.

I also think that @skelliher's assessment is very fair.  Most of the MMA fighters would not perform very well in top tier professional boxing, just like most boxers would not fair very well in top tier MMA.  Guys like Chris Lytle, Jens Pulver, and others have tried professional boxing and have semi-impressive records, but they haven't faced anyone even in the top 500 rankings.  We saw what happened when James Toney (a comitted 100% through and through boxer) fought Randy Couture (a past-prime decorated MMA fighter.)  That pretty much sums up the question in this discussion. 

Take Floyd Mayweather Jr for example.  He is one of the best boxers in the history of the sport, whether you're talking about his record, quality of opposition, style, natural talent, knowledge, etc.  The guy simply has it all, and with the exception of maybe Pacquiao, Mayweather hasn't ducked anyone, and I would argue that Pacquiao is doing the ducking more so than Mayweather at this point.   Even a guy like Pretty Boy Floyd would not fair well at all in MMA, because his style is so committed to the rules and confines of the sport of boxing.  Because of his tendency to roll his shoulders, lean his weight, and stand up tall, he would find himself extremely susceptible to take downs, and once on the ground, he would squirm like a fish out of water. 

On the same token, if you took a guy like Georges St. Pierre (P4P one of the best in the sport's history, and one of the most decorated athletes in MMA), and threw him into a boxing ring with boxing rules, against a talented professional boxer, I say GSP gets dominated.  St. Pierre may have a good jab by MMA standards, and may be an extremely athletic guy, but when push comes to shove he is a mixed martial artist, not a boxer.  A seasoned, crisp striking boxer would pick him apart and make him pay for his technical errors all fight long.  He may not get stopped, but he would definitely get beaten. 

The rules, confines, and tendencies of each given sport would produce some overwhelming hurdles for anyone coming from either sport to the other.  I'm sure someone from each sport could probably pull it off, but like skelliher pointed out, it would depend greatly on the individual.

" "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran "

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,888  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

10.06.2011 | 4:09 PM ET

SoccerKick, you've got it backwards.  At least MMA fighters train striking.  At least the MMA fighter would have a clue.  The boxer would be much more out of his element in MMA.
pairofsixteenz
pairofsixteenz
  • Predictions:  1,123  |  58.8%
  • Forum Posts:  48
  • Post Score: 100

10.07.2011 | 8:24 PM ET

totally agree with soccerkick

"LIKE US on facebook @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pair-Of-Sixteenz/233492496679986"

TownStar
TownStar
  • Predictions:  944  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  329
  • Post Score: 62

10.07.2011 | 8:33 PM ET

there are plenty of good boxers who have crossed over to mma, several golden gloves and state champions. KJ Noons, that heaveyweight in bellator the giant ginger dude, Marcus Davis, and several more i cant think of...

"fresh outta Oakland..."

jersey0525
jersey0525
  • Predictions:  2,766  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,536
  • Post Score: 188

10.07.2011 | 8:40 PM ET

if the best boxer (for sake of avoiding a pacman vs money arguement, ima say..) Sergio Martinez fought in mma, he'd be as effective as mark hunt...in other words, every boxer in mma = james toney...take em down in 5 seconds, GnP, then sub..

mma fighters in boxing have a better chance, imo, because they train it daily...im NOT saying diaz/gsp/anderson silva could win a belt, but i AM saying they could go over 500 against decent to good boxers..while i dont think boxers have a chance to sniff 500 in mma

"im an OT (ORIGINAL TAPOLOGIST), I used to write for cagepages.com. NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT LEFT HAND SHOT"

FresnoMMA
FresnoMMA
  • Predictions:  54,494  |  68.6%
  • Forum Posts:  7,431
  • Post Score: 204

10.07.2011 | 8:49 PM ET

I agree with jersey I think MMA has too many other factors to consider that would overwhelm a boxer, so overall I think an MMA fighter would stand a better chance in boxing than a boxer would stand in MMA.  Honest opinion.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 Results: Koreshkov vs. Umalatov
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: ‘I Decide Who, When, And Where’
  • MMA Mania : Muhammad Goes Off On Edwards And ‘Fakest Team I’ve Ever Seen’
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia has skill set to compete with Devin Haney. Does he have mindset?
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway mocks Ilia Topuria’s demands for potential fight; Topuria responds
  • MMA Junkie : Henry Cejudo: Bo Nickal needs to hold his horses, 'maybe 10 fights away from possibly becoming UFC champion'
  • MMA Mania : Frenemies? ‘I Hate To See A Fighter Lose His Confidence’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 weigh-in results: Welterweights, featherweights set in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : ‘When I Was Your Age, I Already Had Title Defenses, Buddy’
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia fight card
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Belal Muhammad Claims He ‘Hates Leon Edwards’ Guts,’ Hopes To Dethrone The Welterweight King In Manchester
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Says He’s ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, Wants Logan Paul Or Floyd Mayweather Jr In Boxing After Nate Diaz
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Suggests Herb Dean Played a Part in Jamahal Hill’s UFC 300 Loss, ‘Big’ John McCarthy Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway responds to the 'un-BMF' demands from UFC champ Ilia Topuria
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Eddie Hearn says things about to get real for Ryan Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Hearn says things about to get real for Garcia
  • MMA Mania : PFL Chicago Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Relive every win of Conor McGregor’s epic UFC career
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Strickland vs. Paulo Costa: Odds and what to know ahead of UFC 302 co-headliner
  • MMA Mania : No Foul Play! ‘The Cutman Used A Boxing Technique’