Tapology Forums

i think we all agree that jones is the #1 LHW, so who's #2 ??

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

putaforkinya
putaforkinya
  • Predictions:  10,025  |  59.2%
  • Forum Posts:  736
  • Post Score: 236

09.26.2011 | 2:59 PM ET

205 probably the most stacked division.  LW is up there as well but any ways it just seems like anyone of the top 5 guys could be champ at any time hence why the belt keeps changing hands the way that it does.
how ever even though rampage just got walked over i personally think that he is the next best thing.  i think if he fought rashad again and in shape this time like in his fight against machida that he would have KO'd rashad.
and i know a lot of you ill say machida is but athough i think that Mashida will probably give bones the toughest time of them all, i think that other guys in the div can still beat him.  rampage already proved he can,   i think that if rashad used his wrestling and didn't try to stand up with machida this time that he would.  and clearly shogun has his number as he already beat him twice. thoughts?!?

" holy **** did you see that?, baddest ***********er ever, hooooly ****" -Dana White seconds after Silva KO'd Vitor

Responses

BodyModifier
BodyModifier
  • Predictions:  21  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,608
  • Post Score: 152

09.26.2011 | 3:06 PM ET

Personally and this isn't biased. Machida hasn't been figured out besides Shogun. Rampage was swinging for air and felt even beat after the fight. Machida needed to learn to pull the trigger and I think he's made adjustments. 
The Division is so tricky to just lay out the names of the fighters on the table and rank them. In my opinion Shogun is a far better fighter than how he's performed. Machida has proving to do since his decision losses and I think he's made adjustments. Phil Davis/Machida will definitely show where these two stand. 
Rampage can do far better than he did against Jones. Could have used his wrestling and more leg kicks to set up his hands. 
The LHW Division before Jones came into the picture was the most talented, but on paper he(Jones) should be able to beat everyone in the division. 
If Shogun wasn't so off with his performances and coming off surgery I'd be ranking him higher than he seems to be. Machida I'd be ranking higher if he wasn't so hesitant in the Octagon. 
Rashad wouldn't beat Machida imo. Every fighter in this division will be hungry and fighting each other while Jones just keeps winning. 
The styles in this division is mind blowing. It's my favorite division even though it's not the most stacked.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

09.26.2011 | 3:07 PM ET

But to be honest I think Rashad is #2 currently.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

09.26.2011 | 3:16 PM ET

its Dana's favorite too

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

jeremy
jeremy
  • Predictions:  1,062  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  819
  • Post Score: 168

09.26.2011 | 3:22 PM ET

i consider lightweight and welterweight to be the two most stacked divisions, but i agree 205 is one of if not the most fascinating due to the stylistic differences.  almost every guy from 1-8 has a different approach to the game and it makes for great matchups.

i think i'd have to put rashad at 2 now.  he looked transformed against tito.

"Damn right I like the life I live / Cause I went from negative to positive."

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

09.26.2011 | 3:26 PM ET

Rashad has really grown on me. How humble he was after the Tito fight and his performance was amazing.

mmAPR0digy
mmAPR0digy
  • Predictions:  13,158  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,307
  • Post Score: 144

09.26.2011 | 3:27 PM ET

I agree.  Right now I'd put Rashad at #2.

"I just want to be known as the best ever, is that too much to ask? - BJ Penn"

TownStar
TownStar
  • Predictions:  944  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  329
  • Post Score: 62

09.26.2011 | 3:27 PM ET

205 is the premier weight class in the ufc, though im sure dana would tell you its the Heavys. I think its the most stacked division in the ufc only next to the lightweights and Jon has plenty of interesting match ups left. I think machida is the most promising of the contenders as it stands now, but hendo is lurking, davis is lurking and there are some interesting strikeforce fighters that are waiting in the wings.

"fresh outta Oakland..."

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

09.26.2011 | 3:30 PM ET

If Shogun beats Hendo does anyone wanna see Bones/Shogun 2?

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

09.26.2011 | 3:31 PM ET

After very decisive wins over Thiago Silva, Rampage and Tito I think there is no doubt Rashad is at worst the #2 lhw in the world if not #1.

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

09.26.2011 | 3:32 PM ET

Out of respect for Shogun and how he never makes excuses for his performances. I'd like to see a healthy Shogun fight Jones yes.

CashBrewyn
CashBrewyn
  • Predictions:  21,572  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  4,045
  • Post Score: 212

09.26.2011 | 3:34 PM ET

If Jones beat Shogun 9 times in a row I'd still want to see the 10th fight....no matter who he beats, if he can't beat Jones he will be stuck as the #2 LHW

"My hearts pumpin' the blood of Royce Gracie My thoughts dumpin' the slug and point straightly"

SoccerKick
SoccerKick

09.26.2011 | 3:35 PM ET

@p4p theres a few pounds of gold around Jones' waist that says he's #1!

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,888  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

09.26.2011 | 3:39 PM ET

Right now, Shogun is #2 in my book.
michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

09.26.2011 | 3:42 PM ET

Rashad is the #2, he has earned that. But, I don't see him stylistically being able to give Jones a tough test. Honestly, I don't see any LHW right now giving him a true test. I am a big Machida fan, but I don't think he stands any better chance than Rampage or Rashad IMO.

"Frig off, bud"

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

09.26.2011 | 4:19 PM ET

Rashad has definately earned #2, as far as 3,4,5 go.... I'm sure that will fluctuate a lot until Jones/Evans fight. Personally, i think Machida is close to worthy of a shot, but given his style and Jones massive reach advantage i dont see him coming close to beating Jones. The sky is the limit for this kid right now, and for the first time i'm struggling to see anyone who will dethrone the champion in this weight class, adding that to WW & MW.

Adding to that, i firmly believe it's going to take a very dimentional striker, who can throw combinations other than just his hands to get Jones' mind thinking about other things....

* Edited at 09.26.2011, 4:20 PM ET *

SoccerKick
SoccerKick

09.26.2011 | 4:22 PM ET

How does 1-2 in your last 3 and should be 1-3 in 4 get you close to a title shot?

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

09.26.2011 | 4:30 PM ET

As former champion I have Shogun as #2 not to mention he just ran through Forrest. I have Rashad #3 because of his long layoff before beating Tito.

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

09.26.2011 | 4:36 PM ET

@soccerkick If Shogun beat Hendo I wouldn't begrudge a title fight but there are other fights I would rather see first. On the other hand if Hendo beats Shogun he would deserve a title shot. But I'm always a fan of fresh fights first and in the LHW division new fights aren't hard to come by.

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,476  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,786
  • Post Score: 180

09.26.2011 | 5:08 PM ET

p4p, *** - "After very decisive wins over Thiago Silva, Rampage and Tito"?????

Tito, obviously but I know I think that he would lose to both Thiago and Rampage in a rematch. He didn't beat them, he won and by VERY slim margins due to "playing the game".

Obviously I'm biased because Silva is my favorite fighter but I think the only way to beat Jones is in close and obviously that would include being good, no very good, off your back unless you're Cormier. I also think Thiago is a good style matchup for him because a sweep is by far the most likely way we'll ever see Bones on his back.

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

ncookgraciebarra
ncookgraciebarra
  • Predictions:  651  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  57
  • Post Score: 107

09.26.2011 | 5:12 PM ET

even though hendo is old honestly i think he is at #2

"***** monkey!" - Ken Shamrock to ortiz

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : Chocolatito set for July 12 comeback against Barrera
  • MMA Junkie : Jiri Prochazka focused on reclaiming UFC light heavyweight title but contemplates future middleweight move
  • Middle Easy : Kamaru Usman Says Dana White ’10-7ed The Media’ With UFC 300’s Success
  • UFC.com : UFC And Morgan & Morgan Announce Multi-year Renewal Of Marketing Partnership
  • UFC.com : UFC 300 50/50 Charity Raffle Raises More Than $112,000
  • MMA Junkie : UFC heavyweight champ Jon Jones announces return to training after surgery for torn pectoral
  • MMA Mania : No-puria For ‘Suga’ — ‘Merab Is Going To Whoop His Ass’
  • Middle Easy : Arman Tsarukyan Fires Back At Michael Chandler For Criticizing His Decision To Turn Down Islam Makhachev Title Fight
  • Jits Magazine : Mikey Musumeci Moves Up To Challenge Kade Ruotolo For Lightweight Title At ONE 168
  • MMAFighting.com : Israel Adesanya reflects on Alex Pereira rivalry: ‘He’s a special human being’
  • MMA Junkie : Justin Gaethje plans to limit physical training for 'six months at least' after UFC 300 knockout loss
  • MMA Mania : Garcia: ‘Crazy’ Gimmick Planned Months In Advance
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Says He Is Likely To Earn ‘$30-50 Million’ From Devin Haney Fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘My son got down on you’: Bill Haney and Floyd Mayweather get into heated argument online
  • MMAFighting.com : Ilia Topuria on Sean O’Malley superfight: ‘If he defends the belt, that’s going to be the biggest fight in UFC history’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 pre-event facts: Karine Silva looks to continue historic octagon start
  • Middle Easy : Maycee Barber Details Parking Lot Incident With ‘Crazy Lady’, Says She Texted Dana White About Possibly Going To Jail
  • MMA Junkie : Mike Perry targets fights with Jake Paul and 'fat b*tch' Darren Till if successful at BKFC KnuckleMania 4
  • Jits Magazine : Star-Studded Lineup Confirmed For UFC Fight Pass Invitational 7
  • MMAFighting.com : Michael Chandler criticizes Arman Tsarukyan turning down UFC 302 title fight, Tsrukyan unloads back