Topic: All-Time Greatest Fighters

Dan Henderson is ranked WHERE !?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

USMC
USMC
  • Predictions:  804  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  170
  • Post Score: 58

12.08.2010 | 10:40 PM ET

Dan Henderon is ranked #53... ?!?#??$!%??

That's the wackiest thing I've seen on this site.Henderson may not be the flashiest/most memorable type of fighter, but you can not discount his greatness to that degree !

Responses

ScottBJJ
ScottBJJ
  • Predictions:  580  |  60.0%
  • Forum Posts:  27
  • Post Score: 52

12.09.2010 | 6:07 AM ET

cry about it.

"obsessed is just another word the lazy use to describe the dedicated."

jeremy
jeremy
  • Predictions:  1,062  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  819
  • Post Score: 168

12.09.2010 | 6:10 AM ET

it's kinda true that despite delivering tons of epic knockouts through the years -- bustamante, chonan, renzo gracie, wandy, bisping . . . on and on -- henderson never quite catches on and gets the love from fans.  i don't know why that is.  maybe because even when he wins by knockout, his style is sort of deliberate and predictable.  he wades in and throws big right hands, and since he's very hard to off-balance you don't always see crazy unpredictable action with him.

"Damn right I like the life I live / Cause I went from negative to positive."

raray
raray
  • Predictions:  193  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  187
  • Post Score: 26

12.09.2010 | 6:20 AM ET

Sort of an odd thing to complain about when you haven't yet made your ranking. The site rankings are an amalgamation of the individual users' rankings. If you want to improve Hendo's spot, start by ranking him higher yourself.

"Any rational society would either kill me or put me to some use."

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,561
  • Post Score: 275

12.09.2010 | 6:55 AM ET

Make your ranking and put Hendo up high. It will probably bump him a few spots.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

12.09.2010 | 11:12 AM ET

He has a point, though, look at your guys rankings, you have wanderlei above hendo...........several spots, most of you who have responded to the thread......
Hendo is superior to wanderlei, he accomplished mored, like being both pride middle and welterweight champ, and he accomplish this by knocking wanderlei the f out.

"here I come to save the day"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

12.09.2010 | 11:13 AM ET

Though looking at my own rankings I should not be talking lol

"here I come to save the day"

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

12.09.2010 | 11:20 AM ET

Valid point about Henderson being a better fighter than Wanderlei. It's debatable, but there is a stronger argument for Hendo than against him. I think the argument essentially comes down to how you define an all-time great fighter. For example, on many of your lists, you have men in the same weight class ranked below fighters that they have defeated dominantly. It seems to be a combination of the fighter's skill and accomplishments in the cage, and secondly their accomplishments outside of the cage as well in terms of promoting the sport or being an important figure in the sport's history. Any fighter in the top ten all-time greats list should be impossible not to mention when giving a lengthy speech about the growth and history of MMA.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

12.09.2010 | 11:22 AM ET

All of that said, if I go by the definition of all all-time greats list that I just made, I need to re-work mine considerably.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

raray
raray

12.09.2010 | 11:44 AM ET

Wanderlei Silva is one of the enduring faces of MMA. His contributions to the sport, in terms of drawing people in, far outweigh those of Henderson. My list consists of those fighters that I believe you cannot think of MMA without.

old dirt dog
old dirt dog
  • Predictions:  447  |  66.7%
  • Forum Posts:  236
  • Post Score: 33

12.09.2010 | 12:23 PM ET

Sorry, Hendo not higher on all time greats than Wanderlei

Wanderlei was the face of Pride for years, was one of the biggest stars of all time, was involved in many of the most epic fights of all time, and when he was in his prime he beat Henderson. Just because Henderson KO'd a declining Wanderlei doesn't change all that.  

And even if technically Dan Henderson held both the Pride middleweight and welterweight titles, if you look up "Pride champion" in the dictionary there's really only 2 names that define it: Fedor and Wanderlei.  

Henderson won the middleweight belt as Pride was collapsing, in a match that didn't even adhere to Pride rules, and then never defended it.  Henderson won the welterweight title in a tournament for a division that didn't even exist before, and it was kind of a controversial decision over Murilo Bustamante anyway, where Hendo didn't look so great. He lost at that weight class a couple fights later but they called it a non-title fight.  By today's standards Hendo wouldn't qualify as holding 2 belts at once.

Not that he isn't a great fighter and deserves to be on the all-time greats list, but there's a big difference between him and Wanderlei. Enough said.
USMC
USMC

12.09.2010 | 12:39 PM ET

Reply to raray:

About my list of All-Team Greats -- I'm working on it. I'll post my list at some point. I don't know where Henderson end up, but it won't be as far down as 53.

I know about the rankings being a 'consensus' of the users' rankings, and that's kinda what I'm commenting on; the voters/users.
BTW, I'll be editing what I currently have on the list. The Gene LeBell pick (via Karo Parisyan), is kind of in tribute to the guy, a nod to one of the first MMArtists (Another BTW, Is there a way I can post fighters/fights that aren't listed in the queue/database).
Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

12.09.2010 | 12:50 PM ET

When I think All time greats I think of overall accomplishments in terms of titles and level of competition. Also what kind of impact you had on the sport as a whole. Guys who have won serious title and defended them, guys who have beat a lot of top ranked competition. Nogueira is the only title holder I have who never successfully defended his title, though he is a Pride and UFC champion. The reason I have him there is because he fought more top ranked competition after losing to Fedor than prior to facing him. Royce I have there because on his contribution to the sport more than his in ring ability though in his time he was the best. 
As for Dan he managed to take the Pride title in 2 divisions which is good, though it was right before the company collapse. He should have lost the title to Misaki before coming back and taking the LHW belt which to me puts an * on his duel title. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

Bigj383
Bigj383

12.09.2010 | 1:00 PM ET

Another thing with the consensus, I'm not sure how many do, but I know I don't rank past top 15 sometimes top 10. So many of us may think Henderson is higher than 54 but not top 10. So when the consensus calculates it just gives point value and ranks. Moving Karo out of your #1 spot might bump Karo down the rankings enough to bump Dan up. 

USMC
USMC

12.09.2010 | 2:02 PM ET

Reply to jeremy

Well said jeremy.  
Also, his general demeanor is just calm, matter-of-fact, and a bit sullen.  It's almost ironic that his nickname is "Hollywood" cause he actually lacks that kind of cachet.
USMC
USMC

12.09.2010 | 2:22 PM ET

Reply to skelliher AND Franklin88

Whether you give the edge to Wanderlei or Henderson, in this particular comparison, the point is that they're at least in the same ballpark.
Bigj383
Bigj383

12.10.2010 | 12:51 PM ET

Well you took Karo out and put Gene LeBell in, making Gene LeBell take the spot previously occupied by Karo and keeping Dan back where he was. If you think Dan deserves to be ranked put him in your top 10. It's as simple as that. 

raray
raray

12.13.2010 | 10:12 AM ET

I'm with BigJ. I currently only rank my top 10 (with a few exceptions). Beyond that the comparisons just get too granular. There isn't a lot of difference between #20 and #50.

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

12.13.2010 | 10:23 AM ET

I have Hendo right up there with the best he has done some amazing things man held titles in two weight classes knocked out wanderlei & bisping viciously .... I love hendo ...! he has been a top fighter all along & his knockout of babulu the other night shows us that hes far from finished ...

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

USMC
USMC

03.06.2011 | 1:22 PM ET

Another Championship belt for Dan Henderson... 
Anyone moving this man into their Top 10 after this?
BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

03.06.2011 | 1:52 PM ET

Henderson has fought some of the best fighter's in the world.But that was years ago he just isn't fighting top competition as before. Though I agree he shold not be ranked #53.If he succesfully defends his title I'll might even put him in my top ten. Winning another belt at 40 years of age is quite an accoplishment.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Ariane Lipski plots her 'best performance ever' against Karine Silva at UFC on ESPN 55
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This will be one of Canelo’s better performances’: Ellerbe expects showcase victory against Munguia
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight-week press conference live stream (6 p.m. ET)
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 press conference video at 6 p.m. ET
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Louisville lineup announced: Dominick Reyes vs. Dustin Jacoby, but no main event official
  • MMA Mania : Wanna Bet Someone Misses Weight? Now You Can!
  • MMA Junkie : Ronda Rousey thinks Joe Rogan, media turned on her after knockout losses: 'They're a bunch of assh*les'
  • MMAFighting.com : Curtis Blaydes: Tom Aspinall fight at UFC 304 makes sense, but I learned ‘don’t get my hopes up’
  • Middle Easy : Trial Date Set for Former UFC Heavyweight Champion Cain Velasquez in Attempted Murder Case
  • MMA Junkie : Israel Adesanya will always respect 'special fighter' Alex Pereira
  • Jits Magazine : PGF World Season 6: Day 3 Recap
  • MMAFighting.com : Shaq: Vitor Belfort knocked out person ‘talking crazy’ at bar
  • UFC.com : UFC UNFILTERED | Ariane Lipski, Austin Hubbard, UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez picks
  • MMA Junkie : Montana De La Rosa, Andrea Lee booked for UFC rematch in Louisville
  • MMA Mania : Cannonier Vs Imamov Headlines UFC Louisville
  • MMA Junkie : UFC's Tim Means doesn't expect to fight for long: 'I turned 40, I know my time is coming'
  • Bad Left Hook : Cieslak vs Chamberlain joins Billam-Smith vs Riakporhe 2 on June 15
  • Bad Left Hook : Michal Cieslak vs Isaac Chamberlain joins Billam-Smith vs Riakporhe 2 on June 15
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! BKFC ‘KnuckleMania 4’ Press Conference Video!
  • UFC.com : UFC Returns To Louisville For UFC Fight Night On June 8 At KFC Yum! Center