Topic: Thompson vs. Till

Thompson vs. Till

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,582  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,524
  • Post Score: 60

03.23.2018 | 3:17 PM ET

This is the official discussion thread for Thompson vs. Till. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 2

MassaBruce
MassaBruce

03.25.2018 | 10:05 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Thompson   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

I'm just trying to be more civil on here. The name calling isn't getting me anywhere. Not trying to get banned from a site I love. I get your point though man haha. 

I also picked McGregor to KO Floyd and legit thought he had a chance. Fook it. Picking McGregor vs Aldo seemed just as stupid to people. Imagine being the guy who picked Douglas vs Tyson...ostracized. I just love me a Cinderella story apparently. I've never been afraid to look stupid lmfao. Makes it that much more sweet when you get it right. 
This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 2 weeks, 2 days, 17 hours, and 41 minutes from now.
Fishrat de Pseud
Fishrat de Pseud

03.25.2018 | 10:11 PM ET

Prediction: correct Till   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

I didn't pick McGregor to win. I called it two rounds earlier than it got stopped for Mayweather. I never once ever said Conor would win, this guy is deeply unstable, as his OTT rant shows. 

I'm simply a fan of McGregor. This sociopath hates him so much that in his mind simply being a fan of his fight game makes him need to go off on a sick, sexual depraved, ****erotic rant and makes up lies like that.

It's what he does best. That and try to win duels on the internet and attempt to ''dominate others intellectually'' and make out he's smart.

* Edited at 03.25.2018, 10:14 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 3 years, 11 months, 2 days, 11 hours, and 20 minutes from now.
MassaBruce
MassaBruce

03.25.2018 | 10:20 PM ET

I disagree with pressures being the same. Some make diamonds, others crack walls. Having Tyson in your face is completely different from having a Kyle Snyder in your face. I never said Masvidal is Till, just that he preached about being able to get in WB's face..it didn't work.

WB has beaten a former Champ in Hendricks, KO'd him with his hands, fought and KO'd a future Champ in Whittaker, and smoked a former title-challenger in Rory Red King. All while Till went the distance with 2 guys that aren't even on the roster anymore and 1 that shouldn't' be (Bojan). 

Till has the right mindset and is coming off his best performance in beating Cowboy, who is also a former title-challenger. that's 100% a fact. But I still believe his bilingual bark is worse than his bite. 
This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 2 weeks, 2 days, 17 hours, and 41 minutes from now.
Fishrat de Pseud
Fishrat de Pseud

03.25.2018 | 10:32 PM ET

Putting it like that, I fully respect your position. I do still contend that Darren's offence and the skill of opening a fighter to land strikes is on a different level to Masvidal, and I believe it's going to take WB by surprise.

The Masvidal fight was a tight, scrappy back and forth and Masvidal knocked him out in the second.

It wasn't a mauling right of the bat that cut through Cerrone like butter like Till did. That the other guy tried to argue the Masvidal fight was an equal level of obliteration tells you all need to know about his ''expert opinion''.

I can't remember the young guy's name who fought recently, where he pretended to shake hands and put it on him and just overwhelmed him and knocked him out? A young guy against a vet who'd faced far better competition

That kind of massive aggression and overwhelm is very hard to deal with, and it's surprising rare that because most fighters play it way too cautious. That's the image I have in my mind, but I'm probably wrong to be judging WB just on his flops against Woodley, and perhaps he really has Till numbers and will be like the MMA version of Mayweather and read everything like a book.

I do think I'll be proved right on fight night still, but we'll see.

* Edited at 03.25.2018, 10:37 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 3 years, 11 months, 2 days, 11 hours, and 20 minutes from now.
MassaBruce
MassaBruce

03.25.2018 | 10:53 PM ET

Hernandez vs Dariush, good point. That was unbelievable! Murk'd em. 

At least we can all agree that Liverpool is getting an amazing main-event. Now lets hope the whole card gets stacked! 
Fishrat de Pseud
Fishrat de Pseud

03.25.2018 | 11:03 PM ET

Definitely. This discussion has got me completely hyped for this fight now. Going to be a very fascinating fight whatever happened. I'm probably guilty of thinking it will be more one sided than it will be. Can't wait to find out. 

* Edited at 03.25.2018, 11:04 PM ET *

Kuma
Kuma
  • Predictions:  40,025  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,845
  • Post Score: 210

03.25.2018 | 11:19 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Thompson   wrong Decision  

This fight could end up being pretty lame stylistically.Not sure where people are getting this Till is very aggressive stuff,he can be very inactive at times.I'm intrigued and psyched for the fight but i'm not going to have high expectations.I think Wonderboy will probably outpoint him especially over five rounds.
Thesnake101
Thesnake101
  • Predictions:  14,822  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,007
  • Post Score: 207

03.26.2018 | 12:55 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Thompson   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

That's what I'm feeling, Kuma. Till can be great offensively, but only when he finds openings, and even then, he usually lets his opponents off the hook. Hoping that if he does hurt Wonderboy, he'll do the same thing that he did against Cerrone - swarm him.
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

03.26.2018 | 1:24 AM ET

@ de psued lol come off the grass. This is basically what you do every time; say a bunch of absolutely bug**** ****, someone calls you out on it, and then you descend into ad hominem attacks whilst refusing to defend what you said in the first place. Let's reiterate:

You said nobody has ever just blown through Cerrone, which is wrong. Masvidal did. RDA did. The Masvidal fight was not a  'scrappy back and forth' deal. Cerrone was nearly put out in the first and got finished a minute into the second round. Cerrone's corner was literally screaming at him that he was 'not going to lose Denver' because he was that close to getting TKO'ed. He was basically out on his stool. He was staring into another dimension between the rounds.

So you're wrong on that count. Completely. I doubt you even watched that fight, because nobody who did would describe that as a 'scrappy back and forth'.

Then you said that Thompson will have 'never faced anyone like Till'. Again, this is an absurd proposition given that Thompson had 62 straight wins in kickboxing and MMA before fighting Woodley, has never lost to a kickboxer, is a karate blackbelt,  Till is himself a ******* kickboxer, and given Thompson is more experienced than Til in every way imaginable.

So you're wrong there, too. Utterly. If anyone is going to be on the wrong end of experience, it's going to be Till, not Thompson. Unless of course you think that all those Brazilian cans have sufficiently prepared him for someone who is probably the most decorated, complex striker on the roster.

You also tried to equate charlie Zelenof going ape**** on unsuspecting boxers who have turned up to spar, completely not expecting that happen, with Till's forward pressure and 'savagery'. This is so amazingly bananaballs I don't even know how to talk about it. It's like a pair of chocolate tits on a pony.

Look, I don't mind people having different opinions and predictions, that's what this site is about. But for ****'s sake, champ--use your nut. And when you say something stupid, just own it.

* Edited at 03.26.2018, 2:00 AM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 3 days, 4 hours, and 26 minutes from now.
Fishrat de Pseud
Fishrat de Pseud

03.26.2018 | 4:17 AM ET

Get some valium son, and chill out. No interest in your loony episodes and very obvious mental illness. Everyone can see how overboard you are now, how extreme you take these things. This isn't MMAfighting where you can blend in with all the other deeply unhinged deadbeats and oddballs.

To others not getting the Till thing and the aggression, my points are very simple, and nearly all based on observable fact:

* Both have elite skills, that is already beyond doubt. Similar physical attributes in build and reach. Technique wise watching WB is watching the very best technical counter striker in the game (even if far from the most effective). But Till has more killer instinct, way more going forward non-stop rather than a counter-style that relies on more point scoring type strikes. 44-0 kickboxing - 33 knock outs, plus 63% tko rate in MMA versus 50% for WB. WB has the experience, but I don't think Till is a hype-job where Thompson is leagues above him and will expose him. Till is just not that far of the pace from the elite already.

* You won't find a 24 year old rookie with a handful of UFC fights run through Cowboy like that (that does not mean no-one else has knocked him out or finished him quick, but someone in similar circumstances against his first top star opponent)

* He opened up Cerrone way more and was way more dominant than Masvidal v Cowboy. You just have to watch both fights and don't listen to morons who constantly see things that aren't there.

* Any fighter on the defensive and having to deal with non-stop pressure on the back foot can get flustered even if they are just going ape-**** like the GOAT Charlie Z and swinging wildly without technique or form. When you have fighters applying that kind of pressure but who actually have high level skills like Till, or that Hernandez fight, it's extremely tough to deal with for anyone. I don't think WB has faced someone like Till and he won't get to do many of the things he does to others, like he did to Masvidal for example, because Till chains all his striking and attacks, doesn't do 1-2 part shots or combos or wasted feigns, he's just as fluid as WB in footwork and in and out movement. When he goes forward he's extreme accurate and relentless, and it's rarely wasted.

* I've been fighting and studying it my whole life, and I'm going mostly on the potential I've seen in someone who seems to have reached his peak early like Conor did when he destroyed Aldo quick, when no-one else had done anything even remotely like that. Having a lack of caution and the confidence and aggression to keep going forward, the mental composure and belief Till showed in his last fight and which would have grown, and getting the fight in Liverpool (which will probably top any crowd), I'm thinking it has all the making a legendary night for Till, and that he will continue his progress. 

Saying all that,Till will be champion one day, I'm pretty certain, but of course he could get out-scored and beaten and shown there is levels and it might not be his time yet. But people expecting WB to completely at class him and not have to really fight will not happen with a Scouser on home turf who truly believes in his own destiny that he'll be one of the greats. You'd have to watch videos of Liverpool supporters singing you'll never walk alone at Anfield to get an idea of how amped up and insane that place will be. That is going to be a massive boost, that will either make or break a fighter, bring them to a new level or make them flop.

Everything I've seen of Darren says it will bring out the best in him. 

* Edited at 03.26.2018, 6:52 AM ET *

Fishrat de Pseud
Fishrat de Pseud

03.26.2018 | 6:41 AM ET

* Edited at 03.26.2018, 6:50 AM ET *

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

03.26.2018 | 8:13 AM ET

WB by UD like he did with Rory.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

Joker313
Joker313
  • Predictions:  34,431  |  65.4%
  • Forum Posts:  575
  • Post Score: 215

05.15.2018 | 10:37 AM ET

Till will win this fight. Not sure why everyone is picking Wonderboy
yasdas
yasdas
  • Predictions:  2,597  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  517
  • Post Score: 140

05.15.2018 | 11:20 AM ET

Prediction: correct Till   correct Decision  

It's obvious that Wonderboy is one of the most technically skilled strikers in the UFC, and he has a much more prestigious background in striking martial arts than Till does. Writing Wonderboy off completely in this fight is just dumb. That being said, I do think Till has a decent chance of winning, as you can see by the fact that I'm picking him.

"I must become shape" - Khabib Nurmagomedov

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner
  • Predictions:  9,964  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,398
  • Post Score: 283

05.21.2018 | 6:42 PM ET

This fight I hope will be disgustingly majestic. It has all the ingredients to do so.

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Bark Twain

lldowntoearthll
lldowntoearthll
  • Predictions:  3,926  |  60.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,375
  • Post Score: 39

05.25.2018 | 12:09 AM ET

Wonderboy did get clipped by tyron a few times and it hurt him, but he won't have to respect the TD like that here so hopefully his footwork carries him to another touch and go decision.
Down Hill
Down Hill
  • Predictions:  2,981  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  36
  • Post Score: 142

05.25.2018 | 12:20 AM ET

Prediction: correct Till   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Tale of the tape: Darren Till is 25, 6 ft, with a 74.5 or 75 inch reach. Stephen Thompson is 35, 6 ft, with a 75 inch reach. Darren is currently undefeated. Who’s the superior striker? Answer: Darren Till… and it’s NOT because of overall technique. Kicks - Stephen. Boxing - Darren. Variety in offense - slight edge for Stephen Thompson. It’s harder to guess what Stephen will do than Darren. Although everybody knows stephen throws kicks, they don’t know when he’ll kick or if it’s a feint, what type of kicks he’ll throw, which area of the body he’ll focus his attack on, & if he’ll follow up with a punch or another kick. Ability to control distance - pretty even, but I believe Darren will dictate the range in this fight using his forward pressure & from catching low kicks. Power / Effective strikes - Darren Till. As flashy as Stephen’s kicks are, they don’t always land & not all his kicks are as effective as they appear to be. Better Chin - Darren Till… younger & shown he can take more clean headshots & follow-up shots with no problem… Stephen doesn’t do well when he’s taking follow-up shots over and over. He normally absorbs one or two shots at a time and then recover. Defense / Footwork / Head-Movement - slight edge for Darren Till. Both have hands low. Both rely a lot on sliding in & out of their opponent’s range. Darren has better head movement… Stephen doesn’t always move his head off the centerline especially when he throws a kick. He can be timed and counter punched to the head clean. Both are excellent strikers but I think the deciding factor in the striking department will be based on 1.) Darren Till’s superior boxing… faster hands & more power in his punches 2.) ability to close the distance & trap stephen along the fence using his forward pressure & by repeatedly catching (or attempts) stephen’s low kicks 3.) Darren is younger & has a better chin… he can absorb more shots. If Darren rocks Stephen with a punch and is able to land follow up shots the fight will most likely be over. Summary of Darren’s striking: wide southpaw stance, very upright stance… invites opponents into level changing on him, likes to use his right hand to probe, gauge distance, & to distract opponents so he can land his power left punch. Chin a bit too high at times but does a good job in using footwork to slide out of range & has decent head movement. He also has his hands low… the reason he has his hands low is to defend against takedowns, bait his opponents into striking with him thinking they have a clear opening to his head, his punches come from the hip which generates more power, and to catch body/leg kicks. His straight left punch is accurate, fast, & imo, is his best weapon. He throws a few head kicks with his left foot, good understanding of distance… slides in & out of his opponent’s range, catches a lot of body & leg kicks. By continuously catching his opponent’s low kicks he’s able to make them hesitant in throwing kicks, land potential takedowns as they are off balance, & to keep them moving backwards as he advances forward trapping them along the fence giving them little option but to only box with him in his range. Although his fight against Donald Cerrone only lasted for 1 round he was able to successfully catch 5 or 6 low kicks & attempted to catch another 5-8 low kicks. By catching low kicks, Darren was able to make Donald hesitant on throwing kicks & kept him continuously backing up as Darren was able to trap him along the fence & forced Donald to only box with him because he had no other option. Donald couldn’t out wrestle him, his low kicks were being caught, he didn't have enough space to throw head kicks, he was trapped along the fence, & his remaining option was to box. In his fight against Bojan Belickovic he successfully caught 8-10 low kicks. He prefers to catch leg kicks than to actually check them. Once he traps his opponents along the fence he likes to land his step-in elbow. He rocked Donald & Bojan with a stepping elbow when they were trapped along the fence. I can understand why everyone is talking about how his striking is similar to that of conor mcgregor’s. Both are southpaw, best weapon are their left punch, big for their division & know how to use their size advantage, wide karate stance, known for out-boxing their opponents, good at judging distance sliding in & out of opponent’s range, both have decent takedown defense, both like to trap opponents along the fence, both like to fight for hand control, both have their hands low for the exact same reasons: defend takedowns, generate power punches from the hip, & bait opponents into striking with them… specifically boxing & head-hunting. However, Conor throws more variety of kicks while Darren catches more low kicks & mixes his strikes with elbows. Areas in his stand-up striking that future opponents can take advantage of: 1.) doesn’t check leg kicks… either he catches the kicks or he eats them clean. Although he caught a lot of Bojan’s kicks, there was a good amount of leg kicks that Bojan was able to land on Darren and by end of rd 2 the thigh on his lead right leg was badly bruised. 2.) does not defend against body shots…specifically straight punches to the solar plexus. He moves his head & has footwork to move his entire body out of harm’s way & has his hands low to protect his ribcage but he is open to straight punches to the body. 3.) Upright stance & doesn’t always have a wide stance during the fight… leaves him open for a level change. There are moments as the fight progresses where Darren Till will have his feet close together & with an upright stance he can be taken down. Against a very good wrestler that will continuously pursue the takedowns he might find his striking nullified. He has decent takedown defense & is pretty big & strong for the welterweight division so he’s been able to defend a lot of takedowns and stand back up immediately. 4.) Overhead hunts with his left punch. He throws a few kicks but for the most part, his real weapon is his left punch. An opponent that can find a way to nullify his left punch will disrupt Darren Till’s gameplan & might be able to beat him Summary of Stephen’s striking: fights primarily at an orthodox stance but he does switch stance a lot during fights. Wide stance. Karate background. Throws a wide variety of kicks… don’t think I need to break down his kicks since we’ve all seen him throw his fancy kicks. He does a good job in sliding in & out of his opponent’s range. Pretty good in using his feints… mostly jumping up & down to test his opponent’s reaction. Opponents don’t know when he’ll pull the trigger. Similar to Lyoto Machida, he has his hands really low & doesn’t always move his head… he’ll slide out of harm’s way using his footwork but his head doesn’t move off the centerline when he throw kicks. Against a good boxer that’s just as tall as him, knows how to cover distance & close the gap, & that has good timing will be able to land clean shots to his head. Stephen throws a few punches but most of his punches are just to set-up his kicks. He doesn’t have a lot of power in his punches. Doesn’t throw a lot of combinations… after he throws a kick he sometimes follow up with a punch or immediately change stance but for the most part is one-and-done. He’s a point fighter. This is an area in his striking that future opponents can exploit. His weaknesses are very similar to lyoto machida’s. Who’s the superior grappler? Answer: Neither. Doubt there will be much grappling in this fight unless someone knocks the other person down to the ground & then enters their guard. Neither are known for vicious ground & pound or for their submission prowess. Good chance if someone gets on top of the other they will probably allow the other person to stand back up. Darren Till has allowed several of his past opponents to stand-back up after he knocked them down & followed up with a few ground & pound. Doubt either can takedown the other… both have good takedown defense. Who has a better chin? Answer: Darren Till. Darren is younger & absorbs shots to the head with no problem. Stephen isn’t known for absorbing a lot of headshots. How I see the fight going down: Darren Till tko’s Stephen Thompson under 3.5 rounds. Darren will be able to trap Stephen Thompson along the fence as he did the same to Donald Cerrone. Obviously, Donald is different from Stephen in that Donald has more of a muay-thai stance while Stephen has more of a karate stance. However, they both have one thing in common: majority of their offense is centered around their kicks. If you take away their kicks, close the distance on them, and force them to box at a limited range then they will lose. I believe Darren will catch a lot of Stephen’s low kicks, as well as absorb a lot of unanswered leg kicks, and eventually trap him along the fence and force him to box with him at his range. He’ll stun Stephen Thompson with a left punch & then follow up with more punches to end the fight by tko.
Shaolin86
Shaolin86
  • Predictions:  4,974  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,090
  • Post Score: 125

05.25.2018 | 3:07 AM ET

I think Wonderboy takes Till out or makes him pay the whole fight on route to a decision win in a fight that gets progressively more one sided and lackluster.
bkt1982
bkt1982
  • Predictions:  2,023  |  53.2%
  • Forum Posts:  135
  • Post Score: 19

05.25.2018 | 9:08 AM ET

Long shot I know but still think till can upset wonderboy.

"I dont fight to win, I fight to survive!"

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

05.25.2018 | 2:28 PM ET

This may be like the fight the WB had with Rory.  

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo hopes Conor McGregor 'of old' shows up vs. Michael Chandler at UFC 303
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC lightweight Paddy Pimblett announces arrival of twin baby girls
  • MMA Mania : Copycat! Satoshi Mimicked Oliveira To Score Stellar Finish
  • MMA Junkie : Ariane Lipski plots her 'best performance ever' against Karine Silva at UFC on ESPN 55
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This will be one of Canelo’s better performances’: Ellerbe expects showcase victory against Munguia
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight-week press conference live stream
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight-week press conference live stream (6 p.m. ET)
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch BKFC KnuckleMania 4 press conference video live now
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 press conference video at 6 p.m. ET
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Louisville lineup announced: Dominick Reyes vs. Dustin Jacoby, but no main event official
  • MMA Mania : Wanna Bet Someone Misses Weight? Now You Can!
  • MMA Junkie : Ronda Rousey thinks Joe Rogan, media turned on her after knockout losses: 'They're a bunch of assh*les'
  • MMAFighting.com : Curtis Blaydes: Tom Aspinall fight at UFC 304 makes sense, but I learned ‘don’t get my hopes up’
  • Middle Easy : Trial Date Set for Former UFC Heavyweight Champion Cain Velasquez in Attempted Murder Case
  • MMA Junkie : Israel Adesanya will always respect 'special fighter' Alex Pereira
  • Jits Magazine : PGF World Season 6: Day 3 Recap
  • MMAFighting.com : Shaq: Vitor Belfort knocked out person ‘talking crazy’ at bar
  • UFC.com : UFC UNFILTERED | Ariane Lipski, Austin Hubbard, UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez picks
  • MMA Junkie : Montana De La Rosa, Andrea Lee booked for UFC rematch in Louisville
  • MMA Mania : Cannonier Vs Imamov Headlines UFC Louisville