Topic: dos Anjos vs. Covington

dos Anjos vs. Covington

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,574  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,522
  • Post Score: 60

03.22.2018 | 11:25 AM ET

This is the official discussion thread for dos Anjos vs. Covington. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

03.22.2018 | 11:25 AM ET

Prediction: dos Anjos  |  Decision

So ... we're having an Interim WW title fight in May.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

03.22.2018 | 11:27 AM ET

Man these interim titles are getting a bit ridiculous.

Is Woodley hurt?

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

03.22.2018 | 11:32 AM ET

This is prob to force Woodly to fight one of them. He been trying to duck people hard.  This looks like a way of the UFC being like, yea guess what, your fighting one of the two guys you refusing to fight.

"here I come to save the day"

rotojohn
rotojohn
  • Predictions:  237,996  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  238
  • Post Score: 279

03.22.2018 | 11:38 AM ET

Prediction: dos Anjos  |  Decision

he is coming off of shoulder surgery maybe he had a setback 
MassaBruce
MassaBruce

03.22.2018 | 12:16 PM ET

Are they really letting Colby go to Brazil again? Why? Love the match-up but it shouldn't happen anywhere but Vegas. Can't wait to watch the crowd throw stuff and try to hit Colby on his way to the Octagon. Oh but his comments were completely irrational.......This is Brown vs Maia all over again. I can't stand Sean Shelby. 
This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 2 weeks, 5 days, and 16 minutes from now.
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

03.22.2018 | 4:38 PM ET

Just another ****** booking straight out of the WWE playbook. UFC knows Covington will **** talk and flame for months leading up to the fight creating a subsequent media circus and more interest in the fight.Get ready for dozens of race baiting clickbait articles mined from Covington quotes at media days from Helwani and co. A good ol  rattling of a stick inside the swill bucket to bring out all the nationalist swine from both camps.Covington doesn't deserve this fight. He should be fed to Masvidal or Usman.He's basically just a ****tier version of RDA.RDA should be fighting for the belt.

Will not buy this fight.

* Edited at 03.22.2018, 4:44 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 5 days, 11 hours, and 1 minute from now.
MassaBruce
MassaBruce

03.22.2018 | 4:55 PM ET

Colby and Masvidal are friends and training partners man. Colby smashes Masvidal on a weekly basis. 

* Edited at 03.22.2018, 4:56 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 2 weeks, 5 days, and 16 minutes from now.
Thesnake101
Thesnake101
  • Predictions:  14,822  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,007
  • Post Score: 207

03.22.2018 | 5:21 PM ET

Prediction: Covington  |  Decision

Colby is gonna suffocate RDA, don't believe Rafael's defensive wrestling will be good enough to keep Colby off of him.
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

03.22.2018 | 5:27 PM ET

@Bruce ****, yeah I forgot Masvidal and Colby are sparring partners. Doubt the fight happens, but I think Masvidal KO's him early in a hypothetical bout. Gamebred doesn't get enough love IMO probably because he's prone to nuclear ******ry.Yeah, he lost to Wonderboy but I don't think anybody decisions captain pixie slap in a striking based contest. He knew he'd been in a fight though. Masvidal's problem is that he never pulls the trigger, when he does this once in every 6 fights he just merks people. He's an excellent boxer, among the best in the UFC.

* Edited at 03.22.2018, 5:27 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 5 days, 11 hours, and 1 minute from now.
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

03.22.2018 | 5:29 PM ET

@snake Colby can't hang with RDA. He was getting lit up by Demian ******* Maia in the first! RDA is a much better striker than Covington.Covington won't be the one doing the suffocation, he will be the one getting suffocated. Nobody outgrinds RDA, unless that person is named Khabib Nurmagomedov.

RDA dropped a combination of over thirty punches on Lawler against the fence. I thought for sure he'd gas. Never happened. The longer the fight goes on, the more it favors RDA.

* Edited at 03.22.2018, 5:40 PM ET *

MassaBruce
MassaBruce

03.22.2018 | 5:44 PM ET

@Fishrat All good. I agree with everything you said completely except for Masvidal beating Colby. I'm a big fan of Jorge. I hate that he loves fighting savages. I really do. Call me crazy (I am) but I would rather see him merk the Magny's, Stun Guns, Rocky Edwards of the division. Put him in there with the winner of Condit vs Brown, Alex Cowboy, Bahadurzada, Meek, Mathews, Luque etc...Maia and Wonderboy back to back? WHY MAN WHY.  
MassaBruce
MassaBruce

03.22.2018 | 5:53 PM ET

I think Colby could grind with Khabib all day long, and Askren. RDA couldn't. Still can't. Brazil has never cared about wrestling. Their answer to wrestling is jiu-jitsu. I won't even stoop to MMA Math. Just because Maia couldn't snag something doesn't mean RDA cant, but just because Maia landed strikes doesn't mean RDA can. I see RDA on his back early and often in this fight and IF he can survive down there then his cardio might hold up in the 4th & 5th where he'll more than likely have the advantage. 

RDA IG shows him practicing Capoeira & boxing...like really? You should be sprawling on HW's. Colby should be the one practicing striking. But hey, that's just my piss-poor opinion anyway. 

and this is all assuming the Brazilian crowd doesn't rip Colby's head off on his way to the octagon while screaming you're going to die. His comments on Brazil were 100% correct. Mike Perry's ex-girlfriend doesn't know a thing about fighting. I don't get why that's so controversial to say? I know nothing about tennis. I know Prize-Fighting. I don't get on twitter or go to tennis matches and yell "advice" to professional tennis players. 

* Edited at 03.22.2018, 5:56 PM ET *

Thesnake101
Thesnake101
  • Predictions:  14,822  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,007
  • Post Score: 207

03.22.2018 | 8:45 PM ET

@Imp Colby is not a striker though, he simply used as a means to an end against Maia because a grappling fight would've been the worse possible way to tackle that match. RDA is great when pressuring guys, very versatile and dangerous, but whenever he faces pressure, he starts to struggle. If Colby can impose his takedown game, I have a hard time seeing Rafael win unless he rocks him with a big shot, which could definitely happen.

I'm not saying that Dos Anjos has no chance, but I truly favor Colby due to his grinding ability. It could go either way though.
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

03.22.2018 | 10:22 PM ET

Yeah, that's fair snake. It's an intriguing fight, but I have to with RDA by KO/TKO, within 4. I've just never seen RDA struggle with a wrestler (other than Khabib, who isn't really a  typical wrestler). Even the Ferguson fight was close and RDA took some bad pokes.

I just don't think Colby is some next-level wrestler. Really I haven't seen anything that suggests that. If he has his way with RDA on the mat, I'll be on board.
Hyrm
Hyrm
  • Predictions:  6,115  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,255
  • Post Score: 189

03.22.2018 | 10:49 PM ET

The only fight Covington could win in the top 5... he should get is ass kick by Till Thomson or Usman...

Win or loose, I hope Colvington contract expire soon so he can go to bellator or anywere else & I dont hear of him again!

"Never go down without a fight"

sreimuth
sreimuth
  • Predictions:  79,248  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4,245
  • Post Score: 262

03.23.2018 | 2:13 PM ET

Prediction: dos Anjos  |  Submission  |  Round 3

Woodley said he'll be ready come July. Why not wait until May to book a interim title for July if Woodley isn't looking like he'll return. Real slap in the face. He's been out 8 months, but was the most active champion at one point defending the belt four times in twelve months. 

"Under my tutelage, you will grow from boys to men. From men into gladiators. And from gladiators into Swansons.- Ron Swanson https://www.instagram.com/seanreimuth/ Follow me."

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

03.23.2018 | 2:24 PM ET

I like this fight a lot and it forces Woodley to fight the top contender when it's said and done.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 6 days, 10 hours, and 2 minutes from now.
yasdas
yasdas
  • Predictions:  2,597  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  517
  • Post Score: 140

03.23.2018 | 4:47 PM ET

Historically, RDA has struggled against guys who pressure him and either grind him out (Tony, Khabib) or force boxing exchanges and catch him on the chin (Alvarez, Stephens). Covington's style is definitely a bad matchup for RDA on paper, he's a wrestler who pushes a relentless pace and beats guys by controlling them on the ground and landing ground and pound (like Khabib, but not quite as good). I think that Colby is competent enough on the feet to close the distance and get the takedown, and once he does, he'll start to run away with the fight as control time and ground strikes start to accumulate in his favor. Covington's only loss happened because someone caught him in a guillotine as he was shooting for a takedown, and RDA has a strong jiujitsu background, so who knows, maybe RDA could do that too. I doubt RDA will be able to do handle Colby on the ground, though. If Covington can outgrapple Maia, he can outgrapple RDA, too.

I hope RDA wins, though. I think RDA is a bad stylistic matchup for Woodley (would relentlessly pressure and strike with Woodley, which has always been the blueprint for beating him), but I think Woodley beats Covington pretty easily. Woodley has the wrestling ability and raw strength to handle Covington's takedown attempts, as well as the power and striking technique to beat Colby on the feet pretty easily.

"I must become shape" - Khabib Nurmagomedov

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Why Michael Chandler believes he could 'absolutely outclass' Conor McGregor at UFC 303
  • Bad Left Hook : Lopez vs Leo in the works for Aug. 10
  • Bad Left Hook : Luis Alberto Lopez vs Angelo Leo in the works for Aug. 10
  • Middle Easy : Michael Chandler Opens Up About Doubting Himself After Being Inactive For Too Long, Reveals Gameplan Against Conor McGregor
  • MMAFighting.com : Heck of a Morning: Who should Max Holloway fight next after spectacular UFC 300 knockout?
  • MMA Junkie : PFL's Derek Anderson shares graphic injury photo after alleged hit-and-run, out of Cedric Doumbe fight
  • UFC.com : UFC UNFILTERED | What’s Next For Jamahal Hill, Boxer Anthony Sims Jr. Talks What UFC Gets Right
  • MMAFighting.com : Derek Anderson out of Cedric Doumbe fight after suffering gruesome foot injury
  • Bad Left Hook : Billam-Smith vs Riakporhe rematch official for June 15 in London
  • MMA Junkie : Chael Sonnen rejects Daniel Cormier's idea of Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler for UFC 165-pound title
  • MMAFighting.com : Sean Strickland’s head coach explains what he could’ve done better vs. Dricus du Plessis, previews Paulo Costa bout
  • Middle Easy : Justin Gaethje Reflects On His UFC 300 KO Loss To Max Holloway, ‘Ready’ For Return After 6 Months
  • MMA Mania : MMA Fighter Kicks Ring Girl, Gets Jumped By Angry Mob
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway’s point-to-the-canvas UFC 300 moment was deja vu for Ricardo Lamas
  • Jits Magazine : PGF World Season 6: Best Of Day 1
  • MMA Mania : Feet Are Not Supposed To Bend This Way
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry believes a bare-knuckle fight with Conor McGregor really could happen: ‘Conor’s a real one’
  • Jits Magazine : Midwest Finishers 18 Full Results And Review
  • MMA Junkie : Shawne Merriman launches Lights Out Sports app, touts 'milestone' for MMA promotion
  • MMA Mania : Mac’s Skills ‘Not What They Used To Be’ After Layoff