Topic: UFC on FOX 28

UFC on FOX 28: Emmett vs. Stephens Discussion Thread

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

02.23.2018 | 11:01 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 455 Points   |   Tied for 483rd

The fighters are weighed in and we're set for a FOX show that's light on star power but pretty deep in terms of match-making. 

Prelims kick off on UFC Fight Pass at 4pm ET before switching to FOX at 6pm. 

Enjoy!

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

UFC on FOX 28
  • Saturday 02.24.2018 at 08:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: FOX | Prelims: Fox Sports 1
  • Name: UFC on FOX 28: Emmett vs. Stephens
  • Also Known As: UFC Fight Night Orlando
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: WME-IMG
  • Venue: Amway Center
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Jon Anik
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $1,064,303
  • Attendance: 10,124
  • TV Ratings: 2.03M avg. viewers (2.73M peak, 1.21M FOX prelims)
  • MMA Bouts: 12
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Jeremy Stephens   defeats   Josh Emmett   via KO/TKO, Punches   1:35 Round 2 of 5, 6:35 Total Bout Page
Jéssica Andrade   defeats   Tecia Torres   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Ilir Latifi   defeats   Ovince St. Preux   via Submission, Standing Guillotine Choke   3:48 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Max Griffin   defeats   Mike Perry   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Brian Kelleher   defeats   Renan Barão   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Marion Reneau   defeats   Sara McMann   via Submission, Triangle Choke   3:40 Round 2 of 3, 8:40 Total Bout Page
Angela Hill   defeats   Maryna Moroz   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Alan Jouban   defeats   Ben Saunders   via KO/TKO, Punch   2:38 Round 2 of 3, 7:38 Total Bout Page
Sam Alvey   defeats   Marcin Prachnio   via KO/TKO, Punch   4:23 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Rani Yahya   defeats   Russell Doane   via Submission, Arm Triangle Choke   2:32 Round 3 of 3, 12:32 Total Bout Page
Alex Perez   defeats   Eric Shelton   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Manny Bermudez   defeats   Albert Morales   via Submission, Guillotine Choke   2:33 Round 2 of 3, 7:33 Total Bout Page

Responses

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

02.23.2018 | 9:15 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 6 Perfect, 630 Points   |   24th Place

"..."

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,816  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,560
  • Post Score: 275

02.23.2018 | 9:25 PM ET

Predictions: 4 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 255 Points   |   Tied for 1306th

I'll watch. I'll do it.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Kuma
Kuma
  • Predictions:  40,025  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,845
  • Post Score: 210

02.23.2018 | 9:42 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 410 Points   |   Tied for 750th

This is a sick card from top to bottom despite a mediocre main event.This card is kinda amazing.
Zulizani
Zulizani
  • Predictions:  3,156  |  60.5%
  • Forum Posts:  685
  • Post Score: 226

02.23.2018 | 10:46 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 530 Points   |   Tied for 204th

@Kuma I think you are too used to watching a garbage card every week and now you've convinced yourself that this is AMAZING!!! It's pretty good for a free one but the best fighter on there is who?  A shadow of Barao?  An "unlikely to ever be the champ" Stevens?  AMAZING it ain't.

"You're all my children, I'll discipline you how I feel" Massabruce

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

02.23.2018 | 10:49 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 495 Points   |   Tied for 324th

Ya, this card kinda sucks, main event should be a main card opening bout.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 6 hours, and 6 minutes from now.
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

02.23.2018 | 10:52 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 420 Points   |   Tied for 681st

It's not a complete pile of steaming IMG-WME poo but it's not great. Honestly noting really springs me other than the Andrade and Stephens fight. Usually I come on to tapology for the live results discussions but after the last couple of cards my interest is waning. I'll probably come on to talk ******** with the usual suspects from the waist-up for this one.
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 2 days, 7 hours, and 5 minutes from now.
Zulizani
Zulizani

02.23.2018 | 10:57 PM ET

@mikeyg - agree.  And I feel I have to call out guys like Kuma because if we accept this as AMAZING then we are saying to UFC that 'it's perfectly fine for you to water down your product and pump out a card every week' and I am not OK with that.  Less cards, better cards.  When did watching MMA become a full time job? I need a break.

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  31,957  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972
  • Post Score: 195

02.24.2018 | 12:12 AM ET

If you don't want to watch a card every week then don't?

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

02.24.2018 | 1:05 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 6 Perfect, 630 Points   |   24th Place

@Pillory

The problem isn't the card every week and not watching it because "UFC sucks! TROLOLOLOL!"  Bad cards deserve to get bashed.  And while I personally think the card is marginally acceptable, UFC's matchmaking in the past year plus has fallen off a cliff since Zuffa and Joe Silva's departure to the point where some cards are just straight up awful.  Never have their been more cards that are uninteresting in the past year that the fans have had to sit through in order to get a big "Super card" and neither has there been so little build up and investment in the UFC's fighters to where there are literally hundreds of men and women on the roster that I can honestly say that I don't have a strong feeling towards, to the point where I (and possibly many more MMA fans) feel completely burnt out from watching just one promotion.  It used to be that watching a UFC card felt like a treat, where now it feels like a chore as we drag on through mountains of dead air time sifting through bad Geico and Budweiser commercials before we get even to another 5 minute round of action.  Glacial drift moves faster than some of these UFC fight cards.  IMO, I think it is fair to say that the FOX deal has finally come back to bite the UFC in the ass.  What was once a fantastic deal that provided more content of high action MMA than ever before has now become an albatross where every card is as tedious to watch as an extra innings baseball game.

The UFC needs to quit FOX fast and possibly land a deal with someone like Netflix and fast so they can improve the pace of some of these fight cards.

* Edited at 02.24.2018, 1:06 AM ET *

"..."

Zulizani
Zulizani

02.24.2018 | 2:23 AM ET

@PilloryChoke - What a great and novel idea.  Imagine how good it will be for the sport if me and the people like me stop watching.  That is f*cking genius.  What other brilliant ideas do you have to share?

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

02.24.2018 | 2:32 AM ET

It doesn't matter what we think Zuli mate. WME are going to do what they're going to. The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Actually by continuing to tune in we're actively incentivizing them to continue to put on horse **** cards, if anything. Even if you're watching via illegal stream as I sometimes do ( not going to apologize for it, my heart doesn't bleed for the world's largest talent agency) that's still an incentive, because the suits in data analysis tally viewership from both legitimate and illegitimate streams when gauging market interest and no doubt use this as justification for their largely destructive business model.

And they know what they're doing, and they know it isn't working.This deal was backed by hedge funders and PE firms, and guys like that just don't make novice errors. I would not at all be surprised if there's some shady vulture capitalism in the works.

Voting with your wallet is always the best way to get desirable quality control outcomes.

Also Kuma is good dude. I think he just straight up likes MMA more than we do.

* Edited at 02.24.2018, 2:38 AM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 2 days, 7 hours, and 5 minutes from now.
Zulizani
Zulizani

02.24.2018 | 3:02 AM ET

Part of me knows you're right Fishrat, another part of me still has principles and requires I do/say something.  It wouldn't matter if Kuma was my best friend, if he/she/they said some thing I consider patently false, I would call him out on it. 

I didn't come to tapology for the Kool-aid.

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  31,957  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972
  • Post Score: 195

02.24.2018 | 5:49 AM ET

I didn't say to quit watching, I said not to watch the cards every week if you don't want to. I wouldn't consider cutting a ton of fighters from their roster & stopping international expansion to be a "brilliant idea" either.

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

02.24.2018 | 6:39 AM ET

All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts, it is made up of our thoughts. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him, as the wheel follows the foot of the ox that draws the carriage.

All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts, it is made up of our thoughts. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him.

'He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me,'--in those who harbour such thoughts hatred will never cease.

'He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me,'--in those who do not harbour such thoughts hatred will cease.

For hatred does not cease by hatred at any time: This is an eternal rule.

Alas, soon, this body will lie on the earth, despised, without understanding, like a useless log. Nowhere is there known a place where death did not overcome the mortal.The world does not know that we must all come to an end here;--but  for those who know it, their quarrels cease at once.

As a fletcher makes straight his arrow, a wise man makes straight his trembling and unsteady thought, which is difficult to guard, difficult to hold back.

As a fish taken from his watery home and thrown on dry ground, our thought trembles all over in order to escape the dominion of Mâra (the tempter).

It is good to tame the mind, which is difficult to hold in and flighty, rushing wherever it listeth; a tamed mind brings happiness.

Whatever a hater may do to a hater, or an enemy do to an enemy, a wrongly directed mind will do us greater mischief.Not a mother, not a father will do so much, nor any other relative; a well-directed mind will do us greater service.

Even though a speech be a thousand (of words), but made up of senseless words, one word of sense is better, which if a man hears, he becomes quiet.

If one man conquer in battle a thousand times thousand men, and if another conquer himself, he is the greatest of conquerors.

One's own self conquered is better than all other people; not even a god, a Gandharva, not Mâra with Brahman could change into defeat the victory of a man who has vanquished himself.

And he who lives a hundred years, not seeing beginning and end, a life of one day is better if a man sees beginning and end.

Better than a thousand useless verses is one useful verse, hearing which one attains peace.

Better than reciting a hundred meaningless verses is the reciting of one verse of Dhamma, hearing which one attains peace.

By oneself the evil is done, by oneself one suffers; by oneself evil is left undone, by oneself one is purified. Purity and impurity belong to oneself, no one can purify another.

Long is the night to him who is awake; long is a mile to him who is tired; long is life to the foolish who do not know the true law.

These sons belong to me, and this wealth belongs to me. With such thoughts a fool is tormented. He himself does not belong to himself; how much less sons and wealth?

The fool who knows his foolishness, is wise at least so far. But a fool who thinks himself wise, he is called a fool indeed.

An evil deed, like newly-drawn milk, does not turn (suddenly); smouldering, like fire covered by ashes, it follows the fool.And when the evil deed, after it has become known, brings sorrow to the fool, then it destroys his bright lot, nay, it cleaves his head.

As the lilly grows upon rubbish heaped along the side of a road, so do the enlightened shine forth by their knowledge, amongst the crowds who are as if dead already;

among the people,

who walk,

In darkness".

--From the dhammpada, being one of the main canonical Buddhist Texts.

HJWalker
HJWalker
  • Predictions:  3,064  |  67.6%
  • Forum Posts:  337
  • Post Score: 118

02.24.2018 | 9:10 AM ET

Predictions: 5 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 305 Points   |   Tied for 1171st

I think a lot of all this boils down to what you are looking for from a card and as fans we prioritise different things. I'm sat on the fence so hard I'm getting splinters for this one though. I agree that the product is diminishing and match making generally has weakened BUT not for this card. I'm with Kuma. This is a moving day card, so many fighters who are top 25 in their divisions fighting. I'm interested in every fight and that is rare for me these days.

Also I'm developing a serious mancrush on Fishrat, civility and opinions rarely go hand in hand on the internet these days! 
Kuma
Kuma
  • Predictions:  40,025  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,845
  • Post Score: 210

02.24.2018 | 3:19 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 410 Points   |   Tied for 750th

I love this card because there's a bunch of fighters I really like and a couple that I have met personally so i'm really looking forward to it.I don't have the mindset of a lot of the newer fans like looking at a card thinking about ratings,ppv buys,how many instagram followers a certain fighter has or say that guy doesn't even have a wikipedia page bro they suck!I look at stylistic match ups,potentially fun fights and watching fighters I really like.

The unrealistic expectations of some of these "every card sucks they should all look like UFC 100","I don't even know half these guys" fans these days are ridiculous.Compare any UFC card to the other hundred events each weekend and tell me the card sucks lol.Or would you rather there be a UFC event every 6 months again,you'd be crying that there's not even events,the grass is always greener on the other side.

Stop drinking the UFC kool-aid bro!!1!! If you can't appreciate a card then ok,that sucks for you.I'm sorry that you think my opinion is so offensive.I have no clue why some of these "fans" watch mma,all they do is complain about it,it's pretty fricken sad lol.
skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

02.24.2018 | 3:56 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 455 Points   |   Tied for 483rd

I think it's an underrated card. Not a lot of name value, but some great match-making. 

I trained with Manny Bermudez a few times when I was about 21 and he 16. He's an incredible grappler. I think he's got a lot of potential.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

02.24.2018 | 3:59 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 495 Points   |   Tied for 324th

I feel the opposite I guess, the undercard is pretty weak, the WMMA fights will likely be underwhelming as well, hope I'm wrong but a few of them have the potential to be horrible. Alvey can make a fight really boring, Yahya can make a fight boring, Barao could look flat again. Skol though, good luck yall.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 6 hours, and 6 minutes from now.
MassaBruce
MassaBruce

02.24.2018 | 4:01 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 480 Points   |   Tied for 380th

I can't wait for this main-card. Pure violence. 
This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 3 weeks, 1 day, 20 hours, and 20 minutes from now.
Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

02.24.2018 | 4:34 PM ET

Predictions: 5 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 415 Points   |   Tied for 741st

Nice finish. Bermudez is a bit one dimensional though.

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Exclusive: Alex Perez Details Why Steve Erceg Got UFC Title Shot Over Muhammad Mokaev
  • Bad Left Hook : Terence Crawford to face Israil Madrimov for WBA title at 154
  • MMA Junkie : Photos: 2024 PFL 3 ceremonial weigh-ins, fighter faceoffs
  • MMA Junkie : MMA promotion adds bonus inspired by Max Holloway's UFC 300 knockout, and it's pretty wild
  • MMA Junkie : Daniel Cormier: Michael Chandler 'not driving the sales' in Conor McGregor fight, unlikely to get PPV points
  • Middle Easy : Jake Paul Lays Down $10 Million MMA Challenge to Nate Diaz and Jorge Masvidal: ‘I Want Either One’
  • MMA Mania : Garcia Misses Weight In Latest Circus Stunt
  • MMAFighting.com : Devin Haney vs. Ryan Garcia weigh-in video live now
  • Bad Left Hook : Charlo invokes right to Madrimov title fight
  • Jits Magazine : Free Fight Friday: Renato Canuto vs Damon Morgan
  • MMA Junkie : Nate Diaz sued by Rodney Petersen over 2023 New Orleans street fight
  • MMA Junkie : Nate Diaz sued by 'Not Logan Paul' Rodney Petersen over 2023 New Orleans street fight
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Haney Vs Garcia Official Weigh Ins!
  • MMAFighting.com : Nate Diaz targeted in new Rodney Petersen lawsuit for New Orleans street brawl, Diaz rep responds
  • MMAFighting.com : Ryan Garcia badly misses weight for Devin Haney fight
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘3 pounds is nothing stop crying’: Ryan Garcia, pros react to Garcia missing weight for Devin Haney showdown
  • Bad Left Hook : Ryan Garcia misses weight, will still fight Devin Haney
  • MMA Mania : ‘Half-Mexican’ Costa Is Not A ‘Dirty’ Brazilian!
  • MMAFighting.com : Olympic champ David Taylor says ‘door is open’ for move to MMA; Daniel Cormier tells him ‘stick to wrestling’
  • UFC.com : Steve Erceg Hopes To Open Some Eyes