Topic: Gaethje vs. Poirier

Gaethje vs. Poirier

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,566  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,519
  • Post Score: 60

01.19.2018 | 8:33 PM ET

This is the official discussion thread for Gaethje vs. Poirier. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 2

ShakeANDBake720
ShakeANDBake720
  • Predictions:  10,091  |  65.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1,838
  • Post Score: 235

04.13.2018 | 6:18 PM ET

Prediction: correct Poirier   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

You are comparing lightweight Poirier to featherweight that is awful logic. He was killing himself to make weight himself.What was that KZ fight like 6 years ago?  The point I was trying to make with MJ is he shines as the underdog and MJ was favored to win against Gaethje... and coming off a career changing beatdown... how did you not get that?

Exposed by Cub?  That was a competitive fight. No one got exposed. He also stepped in on short notice. Look at the examples you are using. Castillo ? Thats even older than the KZ fight. You can't be bashing my logic and calling it awful when you are using fights from a decade ago lmao.  Another thing. Justin's wrestling is about as reliable as Hendo's he never wrestles that isn't him. He wants to be known as the most violent fighter in the UFC for some reason and that mentality will stop him from reaching the top.

"Duck, I want to sleep with my wife tonight,"

Shaolin86
Shaolin86
  • Predictions:  4,974  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,090
  • Post Score: 125

04.13.2018 | 7:33 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Gaethje   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

I see Gaethje walking through hell like he always does, landing tight hooks and uppercuts and leg kicks. Poirier eventually will try to take Gaethje down, fail and then get caught up in the brawl since he's naturally prone to doing that. Eventually he gets broken down and stopped with a combination of leg kicks and punches like several others. I'll say 3rd round.
MassaBruce
MassaBruce

04.13.2018 | 8:28 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Gaethje   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

You spoke like Dustin has only lost 2 fights and is impervious to anything but striking..to which I proved was wrong. 

The odds are for gambling, nothing else. 

* Edited at 04.13.2018, 8:38 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 3 weeks, 1 day, 2 hours, and 36 minutes from now.
AtoZsportsinv
AtoZsportsinv
  • Predictions:  1,447  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  238
  • Post Score: 183

04.14.2018 | 2:42 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Gaethje   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Cant wait to see this one. Fans of both fighters. I trust Gaethje's chin just a little more. But it will be an instant classic.

"Aiming to be professional sports handicapper"

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,476  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,786
  • Post Score: 180

04.14.2018 | 12:22 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Gaethje   wrong Decision  

Great fight. ShakeandBake makes several great points while as usual MassaBruce is clearly trolling. I could see this fight going either way with Gaethje more likely to finish it early and Dustin late but the one mystery factor to me is how Dustin deals with the leg kicks. Can't recall him in a fight where he had to deal with those and I do fully expect Gaethje to continue to use them.

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

MassaBruce
MassaBruce

04.14.2018 | 12:26 PM ET

Funny you say i'm trolling then bring up the same point I did about the leg-kicks..but unlike you, i'm able to recall when Jim Miller nearly TKO'd Dustin with leg-kicks. Ya bum. 
This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 3 weeks, 1 day, 2 hours, and 36 minutes from now.
mulefloyd
mulefloyd

04.14.2018 | 12:33 PM ET

I truly don't remember the part of the Poirier/Miller fight where Jim hurt him with kicks just that Dustin won a pretty clear decision although against an obviously shopworn Miller but regardless Miller isn't known as a big leg-kicker while Justin is. And even an obvious troll makes a relevant point every now and then just like a broken clock is right twice a day. 

MassaBruce
MassaBruce

04.14.2018 | 12:34 PM ET

Majority decision. Not clear. Ya bum. 
MassaBruce
MassaBruce

04.14.2018 | 12:50 PM ET

refresh your memory. Its hard to remember fights you didn't actually watch

mulefloyd
mulefloyd

04.14.2018 | 1:16 PM ET

Pretty clear not clear. Perfect example of what I was talking about. I just rewatched the fight and I was coming back to give you credit and tell you you were right because Dustin even had his cornerman supporting him while the decision was read. And yes it was a majority decision which is very strange because 1 idiot judge had it 30-27 for Dustin and 1 28-28 which also doesn't make sense because none of the rounds were 10-8 and I'm one of the most freely giving 10-8 guys anywhere because to me 10-8 means "clear", not dominant. 

One of the biggest flaws of judges or fans is assuming their opinion is fact or must be shared by anyone or they're an idiot. For me ANY round that you score 10-9, you should be willing to accept and even expect others to score it 10-9 for the other guy. By the same token you should expect a round that you score 10-8 to scored 10-9 by at least a few and maybe even 10-7 by others. The problem is the boxing system and the fact that no 2 rounds are ever exactly alike so trying to pigeonhole them into the 10-pt must system is foolish and fights should be considered as a whole. As in you should take into consideration previous rounds when scoring later ones. 

I'm a huge Jim Miller fan and he's one of the more well-rounded old school fighters. Clearly his best aspect is BJJ while his striking is underrated and his wrestling overrated. But his best aspect in the Poirier fight was definitely his low leg kicks but he couldn't keep the fight at range long enough to use them until the 3rd and then he didn't have enough gas and/or wrestling to keep it standing. I also remember him winning the striking vs. Benson untli he foolishly jumped for a guillotine so sometimes his fight IQ is questionable. 

Dustin has clearly improved and is still in his prime. The Zombie fight is still one the best fights of all time. The win over Holloway was Max's UFC debut and Castillo as well as current BW Alcantara KOed Lamas at LW in the WEC so that's how relative those are. Dustin is a black belt now as also clearly shown in the Miller fight. He defended everything Jim threw at him on the ground and to me clearly won the ground fight over a great ground fighter so I don't think Justin's wrestling will come into play. 

As I said in my first post, I think Gaethje could catch Dustin early but the later it goes the more Dustin's chances go up as he has much better defense and head movement but if Justin can hobble him like Jim did he has the wrestling to deny a desperation shot so this should be a GREAT fight.

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,701  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

04.14.2018 | 1:51 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Gaethje   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

going to be interesting, i think gaethje is going to come out hesitant or slightly slower starting then move towards having something to prove.

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,560
  • Post Score: 275

04.14.2018 | 2:07 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Gaethje   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

What a fight. I mean, obviously, who isn't pumped for this. I feel like Poirier should come in better prepared, with a better gameplan, and with better cardio if this goes deep. On the other hand, Poirier has a tendency to be drawn into brawls, and if that happens here I don't think he's got the chin to hang with Gaethje. I'll roll the dice on a Gaethje KO.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Thesnake101
Thesnake101
  • Predictions:  14,822  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,006
  • Post Score: 207

04.14.2018 | 2:48 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Gaethje   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Hope this fight hits the second or maybe even the third round, so that we can get an even bigger dose of violence. That being said, I think Justin draws Poirier into a brawl early and puts him down.
poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

04.15.2019 | 11:37 AM ET

Would just like to point out to those that thought Poirier wasn't "championship material" that he now has a belt!

And Mikeyg what was that about holloway would beat his ass if they fought again today???

* Edited at 04.15.2019, 11:42 AM ET *

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

04.15.2019 | 4:41 PM ET

@ Poir I genuinely didn't think he had it in him, I admit. I thought if he won, it would be by sub. I was very impressed by his conditioning and his boxing. I think he can beat khabib.
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 1 day, 13 hours, and 21 minutes from now.
poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

04.15.2019 | 4:53 PM ET

He is a beast if he can stuff those takedowns I think he pieces Khabib up for sure.  And I was completely worried for this fight because Max is such a beast. What a ******* chin on him couldn't believe he didnt get finished.

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

04.15.2019 | 5:29 PM ET

Yeah, that was insane. Halfway into the first round I thought he was gonna get put away for sure, and I kept thinking it the remainder of the fight. Ridiculous chin. I don't like Max at 155, he's one of those guys that doesn't benefit from moving up.

* Edited at 04.15.2019, 5:30 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 1 day, 13 hours, and 21 minutes from now.
WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

04.16.2019 | 5:36 PM ET

Prediction: correct Poirier   wrong Decision  

i predict 3 fights with these+ ! if it goes 0 - 2 then maybe 0 - 3 or 1 - 2 sets up 4 .. etc ( **** i should calm down sorry .. dont want them to kill each other!.. honestly! my bad )...

* Edited at 04.16.2019, 5:37 PM ET *

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : ‘Most Dominant Fight’ Of UFC 300?
  • MMAFighting.com : Devin Haney vs. Ryan Garcia start time, TV schedule, ring walks
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Haney Vs Garcia Results & Play-By-Play!
  • MMA Junkie : T.J. Dillashaw was rooting for ex-rival Cody Garbrandt at UFC 300: 'I hate to see a fighter lose his confidence'
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway reveals gnarly bruised leg from UFC 300 win: ‘That guy kicks like a Mack truck’
  • MMAFighting.com : U.S. Olympic Wrestling Results: Team trial finals
  • MMAFighting.com : Karate Combat 45 live stream online: Luke Rockhold vs. Joe Schilling
  • Bad Left Hook : Haney vs Garcia: Live updates and results, 8 pm ET
  • Jits Magazine : Bianca Basilio To Face Nanami Ichikawa At ONE Fight Night 22
  • Jits Magazine : Three Invites Announced For ADCC 2024 Under 77kg Division
  • MMA Junkie : PFL signs top prospect Paul Hughes, says promotion president
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 Results: Magomed Umalatov remains unbeaten, Brendan Loughnane gets back on track with quick win
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 full results: Magomed Umalatov, Shamil Musaev keep unbeaten records intact
  • MMAFighting.com : Devin Haney vs. Ryan Garcia: Live round-by-round updates
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia Results: Live updates of the undercard and main event
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Square Up With Yourself, Motherf—ker!
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 video: Brendan Loughnane TKOs Pedro Carvalho; stoppage sparks controversy
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 video: Shamil Musaev pulverizes Logan Storley with violent knockout blows
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Fighter’s puking causes TKO loss at Dynasty Combat Sports 91
  • MMAFighting.com : Nate Diaz walks out on final tour stop: ‘Square off with yourself motherf**ker’