Topic: Gaethje vs. Poirier

Gaethje vs. Poirier

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,554  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,505
  • Post Score: 60

01.19.2018 | 8:33 PM ET

This is the official discussion thread for Gaethje vs. Poirier. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

01.19.2018 | 8:33 PM ET

Prediction: correct Poirier   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Nice, nice fight. Gaethje getting no easy road in the UFC.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

golfy77
golfy77
  • Predictions:  1,488  |  57.4%
  • Forum Posts:  150
  • Post Score: 155

01.19.2018 | 9:59 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Gaethje   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

The fight itself should be very entertaining, but why did UFC match Poirier against Gaethje and not Alvarez?
mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

01.20.2018 | 12:31 AM ET

Eddie will probably get the winner or loser of Tony/Khabib depending on if Connor comes back.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 11 hours, and 44 minutes from now.
golfy77
golfy77

01.20.2018 | 2:41 AM ET

Wow, that's ridiculous if Alvarez is fighting closer to the title than Poirier is.

Poirier was beating Alvarez until the latter threw an illegal knee, stopping the fight and ruling it a 'no contest'.

Poirier called for a rematch, but Alvarez ducked him. I don't want to see someone being rewarded for throwing an illegal knee, and ducking his opponent afterwards.

* Edited at 01.20.2018, 2:43 AM ET *

Spudgreg
Spudgreg
  • Predictions:  2,453  |  60.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,728
  • Post Score: 189

01.20.2018 | 2:49 AM ET

Prediction: correct Poirier   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

I actually see Alvarez fighting Kevin Lee next. He doesn’t want ferguson or khabib imo. The division is in a weird place. The only other fighters up there is barbosa so I would like porrier to fight barbosa next since Eddie won’t fight porrier and barbosa is a training partner

* Edited at 01.20.2018, 2:50 AM ET *

golfy77
golfy77

01.20.2018 | 3:16 AM ET

I don't know why Alvarez wouldn't want to fight Ferguson or Khabib to be honest.

The guy is not afraid to get hurt, as exemplified in his gritty victory against Gaethje.

He is, however, incredibly afraid of a career setback. That's why he doesn't want to rematch Poirier, but called out Tony Ferguson on Twitter, hoping he will be matched against him, even though Tony Ferguson seems more dangerous than Poirier.

Tony is ranked higher than Poirier, so Alvarez would have less to lose against Ferguson, than against Poirier.

However, a fighter should not be able to pick his opponents. That's unfair for fighters who are working their way to the top.

* Edited at 01.20.2018, 3:26 AM ET *

mikeyg
mikeyg

01.20.2018 | 3:28 AM ET

Eddie was 1-2 punches away from finishing Poirier before the illegal knee, don't forget that...

Alvarez is rightfully higher on the totem pole for that Gaethje win.

Alvarez>Gaethje>Johnson>Poirier if you use MMAth.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 11 hours, and 44 minutes from now.
golfy77
golfy77

01.20.2018 | 3:41 AM ET

I hate to break it to you, but Eddie was never close to finishing Poirier.

You're probably referring to this segment. 

https://gfycat.com/EnergeticTautHornedtoad

Here, you see Poirier blocking and evading majority of Alvarez's punches.

mikeyg
mikeyg

01.20.2018 | 5:33 AM ET

You go ahead and think that, it was obvious Eddie was close to a legit finish, and look at the result anyway, it took one single downed knee to get Dustin to quit after getting nearly finished.

Dustin isn't championship material anyway, why do you want Khabib or Tony to kill him.
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

01.20.2018 | 6:00 AM ET

I agree Mikey, there was a moment there when it looked like Alvarez was going to put his lights out. A very closely contested back and forth fight that could have gone either way.
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 2 days, 12 hours, and 43 minutes from now.
golfy77
golfy77

01.20.2018 | 6:19 AM ET

Mikey,

I agree that Dustin Poirier is not a championship material, but that was not what I was arguing.

I am saying that Alvarez needs to rematch Dustin Poirier before getting a shot at either Tony or Khabib, especially considering how their first match ended in a very controversial note.

Dustin Poirier was out-striking Eddie Alvarez for the entire fight. To Eddie's credit, he did recover and threw flurries of punches that many people thought hurt Poirier. But as shown in the above link I posted, if you count the number of Alvarez's shots that missed Poirier's head during that exact sequence, you would realize that Poirier was not even close to getting finished. To say otherwise is to completely ignore evidence that is in front of you.

Then, approximately 50 seconds after that sequence, Eddie takes Poirier down. And as Poirier tries to stand back up, Eddie Alvarez illegally knees Poirier not once but THREE times. Those illegal knees of Alvarez were enough to compromise Dustin Poirier.

For you to state it only took one knee for Dustin to 'quit' is wrong.

* Edited at 01.20.2018, 6:47 AM ET *

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

01.20.2018 | 8:45 AM ET

How is Poirier not championship material? He beat the current FW champ. He beat the former LW champ and had a close fight with another former LW champ.

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

golfy77
golfy77

01.20.2018 | 8:59 AM ET

Cuz Poirier still have few people ahead of him in the rankings.

Also, his victory over Max Holloway doesn't necessarily imply that he's a championship material at lightweight.

First of all, that was a featherweight bout, a completely different weight class.

Second, that fight was six years ago. Max has significantly improved since then.

* Edited at 01.20.2018, 9:17 AM ET *

lldowntoearthll
lldowntoearthll
  • Predictions:  3,926  |  60.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,375
  • Post Score: 39

04.10.2018 | 12:05 AM ET

Prediction: correct Poirier   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

would love to see a return to glory for gaethje, but i'll go against that heart pick and say that dustin can effectively counter the big shots.
mikeyg
mikeyg

04.10.2018 | 12:27 AM ET

@Poir420, Oh please, he beat a super young and green Holloway who would beat his ass if they fought today and a broken Pettis, let's not be naive...I get you're a fan of his but the fact is, Poirier has a weak chin, heart and suspect cardio, that's why he's not championship material...

* Edited at 04.10.2018, 12:35 AM ET *

davidrowe34
davidrowe34
  • Predictions:  2,323  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  28
  • Post Score: 432

04.10.2018 | 12:40 AM ET

This could be an absolute slug fest of a match im really looking forward to it. 
Gaethje with his constant pressure and ability to absorb a hit and the diamond is a threat in many ways.
Its tough to predict but i feel like Gaethje might snap the chin of the diamond.... Still its weird that its not Eddie v The Diamond I feel like that fight needs another go around.
Hopefully this fight is as good as i expect it to be

But i cant wait to see The Style Bender this weekend huge fan that kid has insane potential 

"But I always feel that whatever I do, I could do better. I suppose it is perfectionism."

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

04.10.2018 | 9:04 AM ET

Prediction: correct Poirier   wrong Decision  

( whistle whistle.  derpi derp derpa derp derp whistle) nothing to see here folks... come on this way this way movin along now thats it

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

Indorfin
Indorfin
  • Predictions:  566  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  42
  • Post Score: 310

04.13.2018 | 8:08 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Gaethje   wrong  

I'm a little concerned for Gaethje's chin now that Eddie's rung his bell; otherwise, I'm confident Gaethje wins the long game with leg kicks and hopefully a little defense.

"Thiago Santos kicks really, really hard." - David Branch

ShakeANDBake720
ShakeANDBake720
  • Predictions:  10,079  |  65.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1,838
  • Post Score: 235

04.13.2018 | 12:24 PM ET

Prediction: correct Poirier   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Gaethje is coming back way too soon after a FOTY. And from him and his team have been saying there doesn't seem to be much of a change in approach. They are under the impression that they put on a great performance against Alvarez and that up until the knee it was anyone's fight when the reality is Eddie was clearly up 2 rounds and on his way to a 30-27 win. Poirier only struggles against fighters with fast hands like MJ and Conor. Justin is not even close to as fast as those guys nor as clean. And I don't even think they faced the same Michael Johnson, Poirier fought a hungry Michael Johnson who had his back against the wall coming off a losing streak. When looking at Johnson's record his best performances always happen when he's the dog and never as the favorite. He holds a 6-2 record as an underdog and 2-7 as a favorite what this shows is he always comes in ****y and underdog when he's the favorite and that is how he came into the Justin fight. Another thing to consider is he took that awful Khabib mauling his fight before. So he was already damaged goods ,this is a reason I think Kevin Lee has a better shot than people think next week. He's facing a victim of a vicious mauling. I see a Poirier TKO here. He is known for stopping fighters with great chins and durability like Yancy Meideros and Bobby Green two of the most durable guys in the game.

"Duck, I want to sleep with my wife tonight,"

MassaBruce
MassaBruce

04.13.2018 | 5:07 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Gaethje   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

He got finished by TKZ, exposed by Cub. Couldn't finish the job vs Eddie. That Yancy TKO had a lot to do with his weight cut. Poirier got KO'd by MJ because he was ****y himself. MJ was on a losing streak when he fought Justin as well...your logic baffles me. Poirier is a badass but this logic is just awful. You're clearly only seeing what you want to. Jim Miller about broke Dustins legs with kicks. Something Justin does very well. Castillo could hold Dustin down at will, if Justin decides to wrestle the same thing will happen, but that's doubtful. 
This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 3 weeks, 2 days, 1 hour, and 58 minutes from now.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : ‘I see it being an early night’: Haney doesn’t expect Garcia to last the distance
  • MMA Junkie : Jorge Masvidal proud to see fans bring Miami heat on Nate Diaz: 'He definitely felt it'
  • Middle Easy : Frustrated Ketlen Vieira Believes She is More ‘Deserving’ of a UFC Title Fight Than Kayla Harrison
  • MMA Mania : Chandler Reveals Plans For McGregor’s ‘Hurt Leg’
  • MMAFighting.com : Missed Fists: Fighter eats head kick after failing to exploit grounded fighter rule
  • MMA Junkie : Kyoji Horiguchi, Sergio Pettis to rematch at Rizin 47 in June
  • MMAFighting.com : Sergio Pettis vs. Kyoji Horiguchi 2 announced for RIZIN 47 in June
  • MMAFighting.com : Gegard Mousasi lashes out at PFL over lack of communication, refusal to book him since buying Bellator
  • MMA Junkie : PFL heads to Mohegan Sun, Salt Lake City, Sioux Falls for second half of 2024 regular season
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Eventually he burns out’: Wilder only expects a strong first half from Zhang
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Eventually he burns out’: Deontay Wilder only expects a strong first half from Zhilei Zhang
  • MMA Mania : Jake Paul’s $10 Million Offer ‘Still Stands’ For MMA Debut
  • MMA Junkie : Jake Paul offers Jorge Masvidal, Nate Diaz $10 million for MMA fight
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Robert Whittaker not sold on Bo Nickal after UFC 300, says he has ‘work to do’ before fighting Top 10
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 live results (7 p.m. ET): Welterweights, featherweights in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : Masvidal ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, But First...
  • MMAFighting.com : Devin Haney vs. Ryan Garcia weigh-in video at 2 p.m. ET.
  • Jits Magazine : ADXC 4: Ffion Davies And Morgan Black Face Each Other In The Grappling Co-Main Event
  • Jits Magazine : Stacked Tournaments Confirmed For Midwest Finishers 18
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 Results: Koreshkov vs. Umalatov