Topic: UFC Discussion

Turner Sports Is A Major Player For The Next UFC TV Deal

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

01.15.2018 | 5:38 AM ET

Little belated in this article, but interesting nonetheless...

LINK

By Dan Hiergesell

The television deal between Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) and FOX is nearing its end and the mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion may be in the market for another partner.

While FOX has handed UFC what many consider to be a lowball offer of $200 million per year, UFC desperately needs a larger payday if WME-IMG is going to close any ground on its $4.2 billion purchase of the MMA juggernaut last year. Luckily for UFC, a potential merger between AT&T and Time Warner could lead to a bigger piece of the pie.

According to a report by Sports Business Daily's John Ourand, Turner could become a major player in forming a new TV deal with UFC should the proposed merger finalize:

“I know Fox is the clear front-runner to retain this package. But I have an inkling that once the AT&T deal gains approval, Turner’s David Levy will sign a big-time media rights deal that would put the UFC on all AT&T platforms. Imagine UFC fights on truTV, pay-per-view cards on DirecTV, mobile programming on AT&T Wireless, and over-the-top rights on Turner’s planned sports service. A caveat: If the AT&T deal is rejected (or if it takes too long), the UFC will cut a deal with Fox for around $250 million that will see Fox give up shows like “Ultimate Fighter” that UFC will shop elsewhere. Amazon showed early interest in picking up a streaming package, but it ultimately will pass on a UFC deal.”

Considering the UFC’s global reach and consistent growth, a new TV deal is most certainly worth more than $200 million. But the MMA promotion has already began to scare some suitors away with a ridiculous $450 million per year asking price. The common ground between UFC and its next television partner probably lies somewhere in the middle of those two gaudy numbers.

Of course, if UFC can get Conor McGregor to stay around and Floyd Mayweather to join Zuffa Boxing, maybe $450 million isn’t that high of an asking price.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very interesting to say the least.  This would be a major coup d'etat for Turner Broadcasting if they could pull the UFC away from FOX, especially since FS1 and FS2 are so dependent on UFC content to sustain their channels.  And while the numbers have steadily dropped over time due to oversaturation and the eventual death of cable, a deal with Turner might be a shot in the arm for the UFC to kick up ratings (especially if they get a less restrictive deal in comparison to the one they had with FOX so they can do something with Amazon Prime or Netflix).

Thoughts?

"..."

Responses

WorstPredictionMan
WorstPredictionMan
  • Predictions:  1,156  |  35.6%
  • Forum Posts:  343
  • Post Score: 675

01.15.2018 | 5:58 AM ET

I've heard rumors about the UFC going to ESPN/ABC.

I see Disney creating a brand new channel to feature the UFC and other less mainstream sports.

It will be called ESPN8: The Ocho.

"There goes WorstPredictionMan, the greatest predictor who ever lived."

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

01.15.2018 | 12:46 PM ET

Disney is very strong so why not?

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

01.16.2018 | 3:40 PM ET

@Rappinpap

Because ESPN's ratings are in the toilet and they are more interested in wasting hundreds of millions on Monday Night Football games that are bleeding the company dry of money than the UFC.  Plus I would rather the UFC be kept as far away from Disney as possible since anything that they touch in recent times has tanked into oblivion like Star Wars and Marvel.

"..."

MassaBruce
MassaBruce

01.16.2018 | 3:42 PM ET

Yea Disney knows Princesses and how to creepily entertain children. They haven't the slightest clue to Prize-Fighting. 

Money doesn't make up for such things. 

Knowledge is power. Wisdom is Gold. Money is nothing. 
This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 2 weeks, 4 days, 14 hours, and 58 minutes from now.
MassaBruce
MassaBruce

01.16.2018 | 3:45 PM ET

I'd rather have another broke Dana White then some old-crippled goofball with tens of billions of dollars ANYDAY. 

This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 2 weeks, 4 days, 14 hours, and 58 minutes from now.
GreenHornet
GreenHornet

01.16.2018 | 7:39 PM ET

@MassaBruce

It's not that. It's the SJW baggage that comes with Disney nowadays.  Everything that Disney has its monolithic tendrils in has some form of Social Justice BS in it.  Not only that, Disney has become a monopoly in the world of entertainment that should be hit with as big of an anti trust lawsuit that TimeWarner and AT&T are getting hit with over this merger.  I mean for god's sake, they are attempting to buy the majority of 21st Century Fox's assets to go along with their acquisitions of Marvel and LucasFilm.  I want the UFC to be kept as far away from anything associated with Disney as possible.

* Edited at 01.16.2018, 7:50 PM ET *

"..."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : ‘MMA Media Hates Me, It’s Fine’
  • Middle Easy : Jiri Prochazka Doubles Down On Callout For Alex Pereira Rematch At UFC 301: ‘I Think I Deserve It’
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Goes Off On Logan Paul For Child Trafficking Comments, Claims He Will ‘Destroy’ Paul In Boxing Match
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway's coach breaks down matchup against 'oversized bantamweight' Ilia Topuria
  • MMAFighting.com : Lyoto Machida ‘already breathing fire’ after Luke Rockhold callout, interested in Karate Combat rematch
  • MMA Mania : ‘It’s Crazy That Something Like This Is Happening At This Level’
  • MMA Junkie : Islam Makhachev's coach: 'Biggest threat' Justin Gaethje no longer in UFC title picture
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Whoever wants to fight Ryan, he feels comfortable at 144’: De La Hoya talks next steps for Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Whoever wants to fight Ryan, he feels comfortable at 144’: Oscar De La Hoya talks next steps for Ryan Garcia
  • MMA Mania : Double Champ Islam Next? ‘I Already Beat All These Guys’
  • MMAFighting.com : Justin Gaethje: It’ll be ‘6 months, at least, before I get back to taking shots’ after UFC 300 loss
  • MMA Junkie : Manon Fiorot open to Maycee Barber fight – but only if interim UFC flyweight title at stake
  • MMA Junkie : Arman Tsarukyan fires back at Michael Chandler: 'You are just waiting for a paycheck'
  • MMAFighting.com : Islam Makhachev not interested in Max Holloway matchup: ‘Maybe if he wins his next fight’
  • Bad Left Hook : PODCAST: How much credit does Ryan Garcia deserve for beating Devin Haney?
  • Middle Easy : Israel Adesanya Reflects on His Iconic Rivlary with Alex Pereira: ‘I Just Knew That I Can Beat This Guy’
  • MMA Junkie : Mike Perry lauds Max Holloway for being in phenomenal shape compared to Justin Gaethje
  • MMA Mania : Arman Erodes ‘Iron’ Critique With ‘Exciting’ Rebuttal
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 92 Gets ‘Old School Boxing Poster’
  • Middle Easy : Islam Makhachev Plans to Challenge Welterweight Champ Leon Edwards Following UFC 302 Title Fight with Dustin Poirier