Topic: UFC Discussion

Is Mackenzie Dern the next Ronda Rousey? Will she beat Ashley Yoder?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

PaulieG
PaulieG
  • Predictions:  9  |  55.6%
  • Forum Posts:  56
  • Post Score: 75

01.09.2018 | 5:42 AM ET

She's fighting Ashley Yoder at UFC 222 and I think she will be a heavy favorite?
Also who wins that fight who do you pick?

Do you think she might be the marketable girl since Ronda Rousey? Yes or

Responses

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,478  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

01.09.2018 | 7:47 AM ET

Yes, marketable.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

HJWalker
HJWalker
  • Predictions:  3,064  |  67.6%
  • Forum Posts:  337
  • Post Score: 118

01.09.2018 | 9:49 AM ET

A lot of Ronda's marketability was based on how she tore through people and was attractive enough to put in an ESPN Body issue. Dern is marketable based on looks but the causal fan won't care about how she sets up a Peruvian necktie like they cared about Ronda throwing people on the their heads and knocking them out cold. 
PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  31,957  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972
  • Post Score: 195

01.09.2018 | 11:06 AM ET

No and calling anyone "The next ____" is a bad idea in MMA. Yoder should be an easy fight for her though.

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

01.09.2018 | 5:27 PM ET

Not unless she starts walking through competition. She needs to destroy opponents to gain that kind of marketability.

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

boredoms
boredoms
  • Predictions:  47,181  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,267
  • Post Score: 236

01.09.2018 | 7:09 PM ET

No because WSW is a much deeper and more competitive division in 2018 than WBW was in the 2011-2013 range when Ronda broke out.

"I am trained in gorilla warfare" - Stay Ready

Ifbbirds99
Ifbbirds99
  • Predictions:  5,455  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  96
  • Post Score: 146

01.09.2018 | 7:16 PM ET

I do think she will be able to beat Yoder because they are both grapplers, but I believe Dern is stronger in those areas. However, call her the next Ronda is ridiculous, until she can start winning dominantly and put together a title run. One thing she will not be able to do is be one of the WMMA pioneers like Ronda was, which made her a prominent figure in the UFC. Also, while I think she’s marketable, I think it will be a couple of fights until she will even come close to the “Rousey plateau.”

* Edited at 01.09.2018, 7:39 PM ET *

"“I don’t know what kind of technique was used there, but there was a lot of kicking and punching.” -Jim Brown at UFC 1"

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

01.09.2018 | 9:16 PM ET

I have no problem with comparing other fighters to dominate ones of the past. However, Ronda never went to a decision, she was more brash, had harder competition, etc etc so I would say no Dern will probably run into a wall far before Ronda ever would have. I thought Rose was gonna be the next Ronda but Ronda just had the "it" factor.

Rose was closer to a Ronda repeat than Dern, Rose was a hot armbar heavy girl like Ronda was and she still couldn't gain much steam EVEN when she was actually hot with long blond hair and not looking like a 12 year old boy. While Dern is really hot, she's not very marketable, she has no sass, not much polarity towards her name, while Ronda was gaining popularity about 4 fights into her career.

* Edited at 01.09.2018, 10:23 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 15 hours, and 43 minutes from now.
jodybanman
jodybanman
  • Predictions:  3,332  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,707
  • Post Score: 237

01.09.2018 | 10:58 PM ET

Too soon to say.  She has that kind of potential, though.

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,478  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

01.10.2018 | 7:52 AM ET

Yes, needs to be dominant first.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : ADXC 4: Ffion Davies And Morgan Black Face Each Other In The Grappling Co-Main Event
  • Jits Magazine : Stacked Tournaments Confirmed For Midwest Finishers 18
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 Results: Koreshkov vs. Umalatov
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: ‘I Decide Who, When, And Where’
  • MMA Mania : Muhammad Goes Off On Edwards And ‘Fakest Team I’ve Ever Seen’
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia has skill set to compete with Devin Haney. Does he have mindset?
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway mocks Ilia Topuria’s demands for potential fight; Topuria responds
  • MMA Junkie : Henry Cejudo: Bo Nickal needs to hold his horses, 'maybe 10 fights away from possibly becoming UFC champion'
  • MMA Mania : Frenemies? ‘I Hate To See A Fighter Lose His Confidence’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 weigh-in results: Welterweights, featherweights set in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : ‘When I Was Your Age, I Already Had Title Defenses, Buddy’
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia fight card
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Belal Muhammad Claims He ‘Hates Leon Edwards’ Guts,’ Hopes To Dethrone The Welterweight King In Manchester
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Says He’s ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, Wants Logan Paul Or Floyd Mayweather Jr In Boxing After Nate Diaz
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Suggests Herb Dean Played a Part in Jamahal Hill’s UFC 300 Loss, ‘Big’ John McCarthy Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway responds to the 'un-BMF' demands from UFC champ Ilia Topuria
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Eddie Hearn says things about to get real for Ryan Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Hearn says things about to get real for Garcia
  • MMA Mania : PFL Chicago Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Relive every win of Conor McGregor’s epic UFC career