Topic: Regulation, USADA, & PEDs

Congress Starting Hearings on Possibly Expanding Muhammad Ali Act into MMA

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

11.03.2017 | 11:54 PM ET

by John S. Nash

LINK

The Muhammad Ali Expansion Act Bill is slowly moving through Capital Hill. It was announced today that the Subcommittee on Digital Commerce and Consumer Protections would be holding a hearing entitled "Perspectives on Mixed Martial Arts" on November 9. The text to bill H.R. 44, Muhammad Ali Expansion Act is also to be considered during the hearing.

A list of witnesses was also announced. Among those scheduled to testify to congress are former the UFC heavyweight and light heavyweight champion, Randy Couture; the Senior Vice President of the UFC's Government and Regulatory Affairs, Marc Ratner; and the Executive Director of the Pennsylvania State Athletic Commission, Greg Sirb. Couture, who has been a vocal supporter of the bill, spoke at last year's hearing that did not examine the Muhammad Ali Expansion Act.

Despite reports that Conor McGregor might address Congress, his name wasn't amongst those listed.

H.R. 44, The Muhammad Ali Expansion Act Bill would expand the Muhammad Ali Reform Boxing Act so that mixed martial artist and other combat sports athletes would also be included under its protections. Those protections include:

1. Restrictions on coercive contracts

2. Disclosure from promoters and sanctioning bodies to fighters

3. Objective rankings

4. Prohibition on conflicts of interest between promoters, managers and sanctioning bodies.

There is some debate over how much the Ali Act has done to improve professional boxing. Many complain that the bill is never enforced, and thus does nothing to protect boxers. Others, like boxer Paulie Malignaggi, have argued that the Ali Act is one of the major reasons boxers earn more than MMA fighters.

Rep. Markwayne Mullin (R) from Oklohama's 2nd Congressional District, a former MMA fighter himself. introduced the Muhammad Ali Expansion Act earlier this year. Since the bills was introduced to the 115th Congress it has acquired 53 cosponsors - 28 Republicans and 25 Democrats.

The UFC has not been sitting idly on their hands. Records show they spent over $400,000 in 2016 lobbying against the bill. (Timothy Bissell should have more soon on how much has been spent this year on defeating the bill.) In turn, Cung Le, Nate Quarry, Jon Fitch and other fighters from the MMAFA (Mixed Martial Arts Fighters Association), have been making visits to DC to lobby in support of the bill.

While Congressional hearings are definitely a step forward for the bill, it still has a long way to go before becoming a law. First it has to pass a vote in the U.S. House of Representatives, and then has to be passed by the U.S. Senate. It it makes it through both chambers, it then goes to the President's desk to be either signed or vetoed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the last thing MMA needs. The Muhammad Ali Act is one of the most flawed pieces of legislation written with regards to regulation.  If this passes, it will mark the beginning of the end of MMA.  Hopefully this dies in Congress or via Presidential veto.

Thoughts?

"..."

Responses

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

11.04.2017 | 5:34 PM ET

It certainly disincentivises promoters from investing in fighters. It won't help low level fighters make any more money and Conor is showing more and more the true earning potential for a fighter in MMA. The Ali act is a lot of what is wrong with boxing. 

The sanctioning bodies are **** and rankings by definition are not objective. The way to make truly objective ranking is with a boxrec or fightmatrix style of algorithm and to take the human factor out.

Really this legistlation could effectively end the UFC as we know it. USADA would probably go away because UFC would have no incentive to leep their league clean.

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

11.05.2017 | 1:42 AM ET

It has its pros and cons, really.

I do hope it passes because the fact that fighters are locked in to a specific promotion is drastically unfair no matter which way you slice it. It might not be so bad in the UFC if not for the Reebok deal, but that's a thing, and it is essentially artful ass******y. Champions clauses etc...it's all pretty ******* gross, especially when you consider the redistribution of income generated that is redirected to the fighters has been calculated at anywhere between 5-15%.

I think it's important from that angle, but there's a few problems as far as I can see:

a) I doubt it does very much to change the real term take home purses of most fighters.At the end of all things, what a fighter gets paid is contingent on their ability to draw. Mighty  Mouse is an exquisitely talented fighter who is probably the best MMA practitioner alive, but despite this, he's never going to d raw, and this really is mostly down to the fact that he has to carry a big mac in both arms. It sucks, but it is what  is.

b) The reason that boxing is such a deck stacked ****show of ducking and record padding is largely owing to the fact that there are so, so, so many belts and so many ridiculous weight classes, and the reason these exist is because there are so many circuits and such a huge competition pool to cherry pick from. Now, I love the sport of boxing, but the long and short of it is the best rarely ever fight the best in their primes, which is why It's been such a welcome change to see fights like GGG vs Canelo and the upcoming Lomachenko vis Rigondeaux bout booked.Holy ******* ****--what a fight!!

In any case, what I think will happen is that if you apply the Ali act to MMA, you'll basically get the same thing happening. That's just what those parameters devolve to. The answer as to whether or not that's better or worse than the status quo largely depends on your world view. I'm ultimately for it, because even though there are downsides, it still results in greater fighter autonomy.

That, and we still get ridiculous money fights sans Alki act in MMA. We literally just GSP get the strap having done nothing whatsoever to earn the shot. He'd never even fought in the division before, forgetting the fact he hadn't even competed for four years. Before that we had Diaz Mcgregor which also made no sense, and the rematch, which made even less sense, and then we had Bisping vs Hendo which also made zero sense.

So it's not like cherry picking and deck stacking doesn't happen in MMA right now. It does. The Ali act might make it more prolific, but it  will not fundamentally change something which doesn't already exist.

* Edited at 11.05.2017, 1:52 AM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 4 days, 20 hours, and 56 minutes from now.
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

11.05.2017 | 1:45 AM ET

Well, there's an easy fix to it all

and that's to simply make bouts based on linear rankings. End of.

However, that's not great for business.

I talked about boxing in my earlier post, really to fix boxing you'd have to can every other promotion that wasn't the ring belt.
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 4 days, 20 hours, and 56 minutes from now.
GreenHornet
GreenHornet

11.05.2017 | 1:55 AM ET

@imperator

You know there is a way for fighters to have autonomy and not have this horrible legislation, right?  It's called a fighter's union that could do collective bargaining with the UFC.  And for some reason, no one in the UFC doesn't have the balls to do it because the moment when it comes time to band together so they don't get screwed over by Dana and Ari, they cave worse than the NFLPA during a lockout and stab each other in the back.  Hell, they could get it done too if they banded behind McGregor if he thought outside himself for once.  However, McGregor would rather go for the Ali act so he can cement himself as MMA's Mayweather and further destroy the sport.

"..."

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

11.05.2017 | 2:06 AM ET

The problem with unions is that they foster corruption.

The history of unionization is strewn with the wreckages of corrupt officiation. Legislation is always better, because it involves checks and balances and shonky characters have to negotiate the legal system in order to enact shady doings. Last I heard Cowboy Cerrone was spearheading the movement, which screams complete ******* disaster if you ask me.

Mcgregor will never be the MMA equivalent of Mayweather. I'm not a flomo but he's kind of a once-in-a-generation boxer, love him or hate him. He's completely full of **** though and isn't TBE, that would be sugar ray robinson.

In any case, if anyone thinks that Mcgregor lasting 11 rounds against Floyd, in his 40's, having not fought for two years or anybody of any note since pacquiao prior to that, having done no sparring leading up to the fight and having dieted on burger king means anything at all, they are ********.

Floyd hasn't been the best boxer going for some time now. You put Mcgregor in there with Errol spence JR and he likely goes to sleep and never wakes again.

Conor is basically a great striker with a great left cross, and I think when he actually does fight someone with blistering wrestling attack and a crazy blast double, and pocket boxing defense he'll be crushed, utterly. I don't think Tony's muay thai insanity bit will be enough to get it done, I think Mcgregor counters him into la la land. But I'll still be rooting for him if that fight is made.

The Ali act is far, far from perfect, but it's better than a kick in the face with a golf shoe I suppose.

* Edited at 11.05.2017, 2:11 AM ET *

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

11.05.2017 | 2:16 AM ET

@imperator

Oh I agree that unions are flawed, for a multitude of reasons.  However, there is a reason why every major sports league has a union and why those players have decent benefits, salaries, and other amenities that many players take for granted and it is collective bargaining, and you can only do as such with a union.  And I don't trust things being done through legislation because, quite frankly, I think the United States government has a limited scope of things it can actually do right and trying to manage the free market is not one of those things.  IMO, the US Gov't should stick to what it does best: building roads, park benches and fighter jets.

* Edited at 11.05.2017, 2:36 AM ET *

"..."

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

11.05.2017 | 2:42 AM ET

Well, firstly I should clarify that you're talking to an Australian here

and I can tell you that a lot of what happens in the states looks completely bananas to us, down  under. There's not many maxims that always prove to true, but one that always does, in my experience at least, is 'the fish rots from the head'.

I think the root cause of a lot of it is the voting system in the states.

In Australia, voting is compulsory. You don't turn up at the ballot, you get get nasty fine in the mail. Now, the American system is based on the idea that by not forcing people to vote, you thereby exclude the people who have no interest in politics, and make uninformed polling choices. But really, all this does is playh into the hands of multinationals who routinely pork barrel politicians. Gerrymandering, for example, does NOT happen in Australia. It's illegal. And the winner of election is the candidate who gets the most votes, not who gets the most votes the fastest, which is an insane system that clearly needs to be abolished.

Here's what really happens when you force people to vote under penalty of a fine; everyone knows they're going to have to turn up, and if that's the case, you might as well develop a reasonable opinion on who you want to vote for and why. If you really do hate every candidate, you can do a thing called 'Donkey voting' which is that you vote for some ******** candit from a party that has absolutely no chance of getting elected, or you can write your own name in the ballot and vote for yourself.

As an outsider, I can tell you that I have watched over the last decade as the US voting public gets comprised of more and more extremely left and right wing voters. By having a system whereby there's no penalty for not turning up to vote, you're actually creating a system where all the nutters turn up to vote and the fence sitters, the moderates, just can't be bothered. And that's why you're getting extremely left and right wing candidates, because you have a system of primaries which the nutters also turn out for and the moderates also take a pass on.

It's a system that filters out the normal person and attracts heavily partisan lunatics like flies to ****.And like the song says, clowns to the left of me jokers to the right.....on one side of things, you've got ridiculous SJW morons and at the other end of the spectrum you've got fascist bigoted dimwits who think America can return to circa 1950's prosperity if you eat enough burgers and deport evil fruit picking Mexicans. The whole thing is a dog and pony show man. That **** would just never fly down here.

In Australia, if a Prime Minister isn't performing, they get axed. We turn over state figureheads at a very alarming rate. And frankly I think that's a good thing.

* Edited at 11.05.2017, 2:48 AM ET *

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

11.05.2017 | 9:28 AM ET

Yeah, you don't want to let the US government in on this. They will mess something up. Lol. It's not the system but the politicians themselves.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

11.05.2017 | 9:31 AM ET

Imperative, I think the biggest problem is that Americans are too busy paying attention to reality tv and even sports. That is our big problem. We put that knowledge over civic knowledge. Our system is actually find as bicameral and the three branches with the balance of power.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

11.06.2017 | 11:28 AM ET

@imperator

The problem is that our parties have completely set up the system in a way that they cover a "wide range" of discourse in both sides of the spectrum while singlehandedly shutting out any third party from gaining traction.  It started in the 1970s, when, under Nixon, the United States legalized what amounted to open bribery in campaign contributions by saying that "money is free speech". Then, in the mid to late 80s during Reagan's second term, both the Democrats and the Republicans effectively prevented 3rd parties from being able to be in the national spotlight via the Commission on Presidential Debates which made a new rule that said that all candidates must have a certain percentage in the polls AND a certain amount of money in order to even be able to go on televised debates. A percentage that has now gone up to 15% after Ross Perot and Ralph Nader both split the vote in the 1992 and 2000 elections respectively.  Add on the cherry to this craptastic sundae, which is the Supreme Court of Citizens United that ruled corporations are people and therefore they cannot have their campaign contributions limited because that is a "violation of the first amendment" and you have a system that went from a representative democracy that  cares about the interests of the people to essentially an oligarchy that is subservient to corporate donors from inside and outside of America.

That is why most people don't like to vote in this country, because it is a pointless exercise. Why bother voting when you have the choice of a giant ****** or a turd sandwich?

* Edited at 11.06.2017, 11:30 AM ET *

"..."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : ‘MMA Media Hates Me,’ Ronda Rousey Reacts To Career Backlash & ‘How Happily Everybody Turned’ On UFC Star
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: It PAYS To Be King
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Reveals His ‘Crazy’ Behavior Was a Publicity Stunt Planned Months in Advance
  • MMA Mania : ‘99.9%’ Chance Edwards Vs. Muhammad 2 Happens At UFC 304
  • MMA Junkie : The 10 largest UFC attendances in history
  • MMA Mania : ‘MMA Media Hates Me, It’s Fine’
  • Middle Easy : Jiri Prochazka Doubles Down On Callout For Alex Pereira Rematch At UFC 301: ‘I Think I Deserve It’
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Goes Off On Logan Paul For Child Trafficking Comments, Claims He Will ‘Destroy’ Paul In Boxing Match
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway's coach breaks down matchup against 'oversized bantamweight' Ilia Topuria
  • MMAFighting.com : Lyoto Machida ‘already breathing fire’ after Luke Rockhold callout, interested in Karate Combat rematch
  • MMA Mania : ‘It’s Crazy That Something Like This Is Happening At This Level’
  • MMA Junkie : Islam Makhachev's coach: 'Biggest threat' Justin Gaethje no longer in UFC title picture
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Whoever wants to fight Ryan, he feels comfortable at 144’: De La Hoya talks next steps for Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Whoever wants to fight Ryan, he feels comfortable at 144’: Oscar De La Hoya talks next steps for Ryan Garcia
  • MMA Mania : Double Champ Islam Next? ‘I Already Beat All These Guys’
  • MMAFighting.com : Justin Gaethje: It’ll be ‘6 months, at least, before I get back to taking shots’ after UFC 300 loss
  • MMA Junkie : Manon Fiorot open to Maycee Barber fight – but only if interim UFC flyweight title at stake
  • MMA Junkie : Arman Tsarukyan fires back at Michael Chandler: 'You are just waiting for a paycheck'
  • MMAFighting.com : Islam Makhachev not interested in Max Holloway matchup: ‘Maybe if he wins his next fight’
  • Bad Left Hook : PODCAST: How much credit does Ryan Garcia deserve for beating Devin Haney?