Tapology Forums

Ben Henderson vs Clay Guida on FOX show

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

CashBrewyn
CashBrewyn
  • Predictions:  21,572  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  4,045
  • Post Score: 212

09.06.2011 | 4:10 PM ET

http://mmaweekly.com/ben-henderson-vs-clay-guida-agreed-to-face-off-at-ufc-on-fox-nov-12
well that's probably the best fight ever on a facebook broadcast

"My hearts pumpin' the blood of Royce Gracie My thoughts dumpin' the slug and point straightly"

Responses Page 2

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

09.06.2011 | 9:02 PM ET

Unfortunately? Unfortunately?!

I'm going to have to hold myself back here, but let's just say I can't wait to see Guida face karma in the form of hundreds of knees to the face.

"We Are All One"

LoneRonin
LoneRonin
  • Predictions:  3,222  |  62.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,171
  • Post Score: 104

09.06.2011 | 9:06 PM ET

@Mino you dont have to hold back you wont hurt my feelings.haha. Ben is a good fighter I just dont care for his personality.
minotauro11
minotauro11

09.06.2011 | 9:12 PM ET

It's not as much hurt feelings as it is disgust (of his style)...and I kind of do have to hold back, haha. I wouldn't be a very good mod if I hated on any fighters, and I would hate on Guida. 

Not a fan of Benson's personality? Is it the religion or something else?

"We Are All One"

BodyModifier
BodyModifier
  • Predictions:  21  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,608
  • Post Score: 152

09.06.2011 | 9:22 PM ET

You can't really  blame a fighter for how they fight. What Guida is doing is working and I guess that is all that matters, but he'll lose to Bendo. I just see a whole wack of threads when I come on and have to skim through them all. Sexy news.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

LoneRonin
LoneRonin
  • Predictions:  3,222  |  62.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,171
  • Post Score: 104

09.06.2011 | 9:23 PM ET

Alright Alright I guess mods cant be fighter bashing lol

Not so much the religion. That's his thing it doesnt bother me. Im not really sure what it is about him he bugs me for some reason.
minotauro11
minotauro11

09.06.2011 | 9:36 PM ET

"You can't really  blame a fighter for how they fight" I disagree with this. Guida has the tools to pass the guard and to ground and pound (and no, shoulder bumps do not count) but I believe with Greg Jackson in his corner and his (and most other Jackson's fighters') win no matter what mentality, he has boring fights. I respect Jon Fitch because he does pass the guard, and he does have technical dominance over his opponents. Guida vs Pettis was the opposite of that, where Guida didn't do anything from on top except get threatened, but won a decision simply for being on top.

I should stop there before things get out of hand, haha.

@loneronin, hmm. I couldn't pinpoint it for you (I like Bendo a lot) but I can understand that. I don't feel that way about Henderson but there are certain fighters that I just won't like for reasons that I don't even know.

"We Are All One"

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

09.06.2011 | 9:47 PM ET

Maybe I am the minority. But I believe the Pettis/Guida fight was exciting. While Guida was in full guard he was defending submissions from an under rated Pettis. Who is a wizard off his back. If it were to be any other fighter on full guard they would have been submitted. They were both being active and Guida was defending a lot...
His type of style is to be in full guard and work on trying to inflict damage, but I did see him try to pass during the Pettis fight. Maybe you over looked it. I don't get bored of fighters that easily unless they stayed in one spot and didn't move. There is always activity going on. It's easy to sit and spectate from afar but when you're trying to control someone's body and avoid submissions it becomes energy draining. You also have to worry about making the wrong move on the ground when you're such a dominate wrestler, and the person on their back is talented there. There's many things that play into the equation. That's why I don't nit pick at fighters unless they aren't doing anything. 
I also look at the judging criteria and don't blame fighters for fighting the way they do when they know it's so dominate. We've already went through all of this before with the scoring and judging and how wrestlers are dominating the sport. 
But that's the way I see it. 
Guida's energy and heart bring excitement. It's his style and fighters all fight differently. No fighter fights the exact same. So when you have Guida and Fitch the only fighters that most people call boring. It doesn't phase me because it's a nice mix.
I didn't see one complaint about Guida until the Pettis fight. Which is odd.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

09.06.2011 | 9:52 PM ET

I just don't understand. Would you rather Guida lose position of dominance and stand it up? Where he's in danger. Why should he stand up or pass for everyone's entertainment if the ref isn't standing it up? I agree the ref's SHOULD stand up fights more periodically and not let some fighters just be so inactive in the guard, but when it's part of Octagon control I don't see it being a problem. That's just the way I see it.

minotauro11
minotauro11

09.06.2011 | 9:53 PM ET

I didn't find the Pettis fight too boring either, but just because of Pettis' offense off of his back. IMO Guida wasn't committed to passing or striking from on top, but he was just looking for control to win a decision. That is not a mindset a fighter should have and if you try to exploit rules to win decisions, I won't like you. I thought Pettis deserved that decision for offering every bit of offense in that whole fight, and if Guida offered any offense, rather than doing nothing but defending, he would have gotten submitted. Which I guess leads us back to your point that you can't blame them for how they fight. I guess this is true, but it's an f'd up system we have when the guy who is defending his limbs and neck for his life throughout the whole fight and offers nothing back is the guy who wins. 

"We Are All One"

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

09.06.2011 | 9:55 PM ET

I totally agree. I think Pettis was putting up more of a fight off his back...That's where it does get confusing. That's why I really REALLY hope they change some things. Getting sick of the judging and everything being so controversial. It gets annoying because I see both sides of the pendulum.

* Edited at 09.06.2011, 9:56 PM ET *

minotauro11
minotauro11

09.06.2011 | 10:04 PM ET

I believe control is a skill, especially against a fighter who's so good off of his back, but control should lead to other things (damage, passing, submission attempts). Those things should score points, not control. Come to think of it, if anything, Pettis had more octagon control in that fight. Yes he was on his back, but he had Guida in his guard the whole time, where he dished out attack after attack and received nothing in return.

"We Are All One"

pwilson14
pwilson14
  • Predictions:  95  |  62.1%
  • Forum Posts:  184
  • Post Score: 131

09.06.2011 | 10:18 PM ET

Dirty fight to have on fox along side the Dos/Cain fight. This will be an action paced fight, that goes the distance unless someone pulls off the guillotine choke off a sloppy takedown. This fight is so hard to call, I haven't seen the odds yet, if they're even out, but I'd think they're gonna been VERY close, -115,-105. I'm leaning with Henderson though, man's on a mission...hopefully with a win, they give him a Pettis rematch!

"its not enough to succeed, others must fail "

Elkisland
Elkisland
  • Predictions:  213  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  499
  • Post Score: 132

09.06.2011 | 11:01 PM ET

The UFC is really making it happen lately.

"Serious sport is war minus the shooting. "George Orwell""

JustynOfOsiris
JustynOfOsiris
  • Predictions:  4,334  |  57.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,239
  • Post Score: 122

09.06.2011 | 11:03 PM ET

this will no doubt be an amzing fight!

bendo is gonna win via sub though!

"Is reality really realistic?"

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

09.07.2011 | 7:05 AM ET

My first impression is Bendo via SUB as well.  Clay won't be able to "clay" bendo on the ground.  I want to see Bendo get a finish here and make a statement...

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

R1zla
R1zla
  • Predictions:  22,459  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,656
  • Post Score: 191

09.07.2011 | 7:22 AM ET

i have to agree Kalibo... if Bendo doesn't get the sub i think he will outpoint Guida.

i'll either be going with Henderson/Sub or possibly decision ... i love Clay but don't see him finishing Bendo or grinding out a decision here.

"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer"

punx62
punx62
  • Predictions:  4,380  |  55.9%
  • Forum Posts:  61
  • Post Score: 113

09.07.2011 | 7:00 PM ET

all the pressure on guida for this fight..the closest hes really came to gettin a shot at the 155 title he losses hes way down the latter, for smooth he looks much better then he did with his fight with petttis and he was already aswesome now hes on fire i got smooth on this fight but im cool with any outcome.

"Been here a long time"

haven
haven
  • Predictions:  94,655  |  52.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,030
  • Post Score: 188

09.07.2011 | 7:02 PM ET

i like guida to win the fight

"i like mma and the tapology"

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

09.07.2011 | 7:06 PM ET

i like bendo to grind out a UD.
rwilkerson15
rwilkerson15
  • Predictions:  2,003  |  58.0%
  • Forum Posts:  15
  • Post Score: 193

09.08.2011 | 11:12 AM ET

im not sure, but is the fox show gonna be like a regular pay-per-view fight, or show 1-2 fights?? because i heard that they're only broadcasting 1 fight.

"Say Word..."

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : UFC 303 ticket prices: Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler could break promotion's gate record
  • Middle Easy : Max Holloway Snaps Back at Ilia Topuria Over BMF Title Demands: ‘That’s Kind of Un-BMF’
  • MMAFighting.com : Brendan Loughnane details ‘intense’ training sessions with Conor McGregor ahead of PFL return
  • MMA Mania : UFC Trumps Boxing, Named MVP Of Combat Sports
  • Middle Easy : Chris Weidman Weighs in on Herb Dean Controversy at UFC 300, Would ‘Love’ His Next Fight to Be Against Sean Strickland
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 302's Sean Strickland on Paulo Costa: 'I'm going to make that dirty Brazilian bleed'
  • Bad Left Hook : Morrell moves to 175, Berlanga named WBA mandatory challenger for Canelo
  • Bad Left Hook : David Morrell Jr moves to 175, Edgar Berlanga named WBA mandatory challenger for Canelo Alvarez
  • MMAFighting.com : Logan Paul responds to Ronda Rousey criticism: ‘I don’t think she’s a hater’
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I see it being an early night’: Haney doesn’t expect Garcia to last the distance
  • MMA Junkie : Jorge Masvidal proud to see fans bring Miami heat on Nate Diaz: 'He definitely felt it'
  • Middle Easy : Frustrated Ketlen Vieira Believes She is More ‘Deserving’ of a UFC Title Fight Than Kayla Harrison
  • MMA Mania : Chandler Reveals Plans For McGregor’s ‘Hurt Leg’
  • MMAFighting.com : Missed Fists: Fighter eats head kick after failing to exploit grounded fighter rule
  • MMA Junkie : Kyoji Horiguchi, Sergio Pettis to rematch at Rizin 47 in June
  • MMAFighting.com : Sergio Pettis vs. Kyoji Horiguchi 2 announced for RIZIN 47 in June
  • MMAFighting.com : Gegard Mousasi lashes out at PFL over lack of communication, refusal to book him since buying Bellator
  • MMA Junkie : PFL heads to Mohegan Sun, Salt Lake City, Sioux Falls for second half of 2024 regular season
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Eventually he burns out’: Wilder only expects a strong first half from Zhang
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Eventually he burns out’: Deontay Wilder only expects a strong first half from Zhilei Zhang