Topic: Gaethje vs. Johnson

Gaethje vs. Johnson

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,406  |  73.7%
  • Forum Posts:  17,428
  • Post Score: 60

05.12.2017 | 5:47 PM ET

This is the official discussion thread for Gaethje vs. Johnson. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 2

Kuma
Kuma
  • Predictions:  39,985  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,845
  • Post Score: 210

06.30.2017 | 1:27 AM ET

Prediction: correct Gaethje   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

A lot of interesting takes and perspectives of this fight,it was really interesting reading these posts.When this fight was announced I was like oh boy,trial by fire right here and I called it a terrible match stylistically for Justin when it was announced.

I absolutely see how Justin has problems in this fight but I also see MJ (eww I don't like saying that lol there's only one mj) get's ****** up too especially this being 5 rounds.I really feel like Mike will get the better of Justin Consistently but I also feel like at some point in time of those 25 minutes Justin hits big and his aggression pays off.

I'll go against my analytical thoughts/picturing the fight and go with my intuition on this one,I got Justin-KO-3.I have almost as hard a time seeing Justin win a decision as I do seeing Mike go 5 with Justin.I think Mike shines early and then gets finished.Mma at it's unpredictable finest.
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,442  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,595
  • Post Score: 69

06.30.2017 | 7:55 AM ET

Prediction: correct Gaethje   wrong Decision  

I think people are underestimating Justin.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

06.30.2017 | 2:37 PM ET

Prediction: correct Gaethje   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Justin is favored by most on here. I picked him though I'm not confident in the pick as this could go either way. Justin is a hitter has big power but Michael Johnson can beat anyone on a given day but is terribly inconsistent. I hope Justin wins because I like to see new blood be successful and I don't believe Johnson will ever be more than a gatekeeper.

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

07.01.2017 | 10:56 AM ET

Johnson is a superior striker (better coaching) and athlete (arguably), and great tdd, if Justin comes in Bushido style as usual, it may be a punishing cripplement, he will need to make Michael embrace the Rocky High mountain wrestling, that Miami sea-level altitude is also a huge factor Justin should capitalise on, make Michaels lungs work for oxygen, a slow and accumlitive offense and stringent, selfish defense necessary, El Cucuy Ferguson turned down Michael when Khabib pulled out for a reason, Mike's skills and killer instinct is durt nasty 

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,796  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

07.01.2017 | 12:25 PM ET

Prediction: correct Gaethje   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Stop spamming comments wasteland, for **** sake.

"..."

USAMMA727
USAMMA727
  • Predictions:  248  |  58.1%
  • Forum Posts:  14
  • Post Score: -21

07.01.2017 | 1:13 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Johnson   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Its going to be a great fight! wasnt too stoked about the card but should be a really tough matchup for Gaethje. Johnsons got great boxing and amazing speed. I think its a close fight but johnson will keep the fight on his feet and ware Gaethje out by the 3rd.

"Sit on my face"

deanoam
deanoam
  • Predictions:  3,857  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  4
  • Post Score: 0

07.03.2017 | 1:17 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Johnson   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

I
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

07.03.2017 | 1:32 PM ET

I guess this will show on how good the talent from WSOF was.

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

07.03.2017 | 5:04 PM ET

Prediction: correct Gaethje   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

Johnson quits too easily and is too inconsistent for anyone to be too confident in him. Gaethje has fought the lesser competition but when Johnson was fighting lower competition back in the day he was losing at almost the same frequency, though he has improved a lot since. 

I think Justin survives the early onslaught of Johnson who will wilt and gas in the later rounds where Gaethje has shown how durable he is, he can keep a pace and will have the cardio edge on Johnson.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 4 months, 1 week, 1 day, 16 hours, and 29 minutes from now.
mikeyg
mikeyg

07.03.2017 | 6:05 PM ET

On top of that Gaethje is a way better wrestler, more aggressive and all around fighter than MJ.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 4 months, 1 week, 1 day, 16 hours, and 29 minutes from now.
yasdas
yasdas
  • Predictions:  2,597  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  517
  • Post Score: 140

07.03.2017 | 6:40 PM ET

Johnson's TDD is more than good enough to handle any wrestling offense Gaethje could put out, the only person who's had any success wrestling Johnson since 2013 is Khabib. Johnson's style of striking is very economical, as well. I can't think of a single fight where Johnson has stayed on his feet and gassed.

* Edited at 07.03.2017, 6:42 PM ET *

"I must become shape" - Khabib Nurmagomedov

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,478  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

07.04.2017 | 2:30 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Johnson   wrong Decision  

When's the last time anyone's seen Gaethje try to wrestle someone. He's a brawler who used to wrestle. He's a hit me while I hit you harder type of guy. I think MJ's style is perfect for beating someone like him. 

He doesn't get drawn into brawls, manages distance well, is fast and accurate and has knockout power. Against a hittable brawler like Gaethje, I think we'll see a known strong chin eventually crumble.

Gaethje's going to need to have a real think about how he wants to win this fight and I'm pretty sure thinking isn't his strong suit (at least in the cage, because outside he comes off as surprisingly more intelligent than he looks).

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

mikeyg
mikeyg

07.04.2017 | 4:26 PM ET

He uses the clinch quite a bit for example. That's utilizing wrestling skills...
mikeyg
mikeyg

07.04.2017 | 4:29 PM ET

MJ has gotten broken and out struck plenty. Look what Diaz did, Gaethje is more aggressive, faster and throws better combos than Nate. Forget the wrestling, if and when Gaethje wins it'll be by TKO
yasdas
yasdas
  • Predictions:  2,597  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  517
  • Post Score: 140

07.04.2017 | 4:47 PM ET

He's also outstruck plenty of good strikers, like Edson Barboza and Tony Ferguson. I would blame his loss to Nate on getting emotional more than anything else. He was beating him in the first round with a solid gameplan that included a lot of kicks, but he got emotional and abandoned his gameplan in rounds 2 and 3, allowing him to get outboxed. Gaethje's aggressive, but he's also sketchy when it comes to defense, and that can come back to bite him when he's facing a boxer with the kind of speed and power Johnson has. Johnson knocked Poirier out so quickly specifically because he rushed in without paying attention to his defense and got countered. Also, Gaethje is faster than Nate, but he's still not as fast as Johnson. 

"I must become shape" - Khabib Nurmagomedov

mikeyg
mikeyg

07.04.2017 | 6:07 PM ET

Tony Ferguson was years ago, what 2012...before he went El Cucuy 2.0. He would tool MJ now, cmon let's be real. Nate beat MJ a little over a year ago. Also I never said MJ couldn't outstrike Gaethje but stylistically Gaethje has more tools and hasn't been broken a bunch of times like MJ has. Difference is Gaethje didn't lose to cans early on like MJ did...
lldowntoearthll
lldowntoearthll
  • Predictions:  3,888  |  60.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,372
  • Post Score: 39

07.06.2017 | 6:44 PM ET

Prediction: correct Gaethje   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

i think mj might be underestimating his overall game. gaethje can wrestle too.
adanna
adanna
  • Predictions:  1  |  100.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: 0

07.07.2017 | 12:22 AM ET

Justin is going to get both hands on MJs body early. He's going top pick him up over his head and slam MJ into the mat. MJ will be out on his feet and Justin will slow him down permenently with punches and kicks.
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

07.07.2017 | 7:41 AM ET

I guess we will see how good his striking really is here.

mikeyg
mikeyg

07.09.2017 | 8:35 PM ET

A small amount of crow should be eaten here I think.

War Gaethje!

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : UFC Star Jack Della Maddalena Promoted To BJJ Black Belt
  • UFC.com : Dana White Announces Main Event For UFC Saudi Arabia On June 22
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Saudia Arabia fight card announced with Robert Whittaker vs. Khamzat Chimaev headliner
  • MMA Mania : Khamzat Vs Whittaker Headlines UFC Saudi Arabia
  • MMAFighting.com : Khamzat Chimaev vs. Robert Whittaker set as UFC Saudi Arabia main event, 4 more fights announced
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Sandman Sees Suga Stop The Machine
  • UFC.com : UFC And Tourism WA Announce Multiyear Deal To Bring Two Action-Packed MMA Events To Perth
  • MMA Mania : UFC Atlantic City Odds, Under Dogs And Best Bets!
  • MMA Junkie : UFC free fight: Charles Oliveira rallies to light up Michael Chandler for first title win
  • MMA Mania : ‘Are We Fighting Or What?!’
  • MMA Junkie : Javier Mendez disagrees with Daniel Cormier's claim that Islam Makhachev more dangerous than Khabib Nurmagomedov
  • MMA Junkie : Cory Sandhagen: UFC champ Sean O'Malley has 'really good shot' of finishing Merab Dvalishvili
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘A win and a knockout’: Fabio Wardley prepared to put on a show against Frazer Clarke
  • MMA Mania : Eblen ‘Blows Through’ Adesanya, Reaches Strickland In MMA March Madness
  • MMA Junkie : Why UFC on ESPN 54's Vicente Luque accepted dangerous Joaquin Buckley replacement
  • MMAFighting.com : No Bets Barred: Can Manon Fiorot stop Erin Blanchfield at UFC Atlantic City? Plus, one time for Chris Weidman
  • MMA Mania : Barber: ‘Boring’ Blanchield ‘Fought My Leftovers’
  • MMAFighting.com : Dana White reflects on ugly moment striking his wife, changes he made
  • MMA Junkie : Nate Landwehr happy with UFC on ESPN 54 switch from Pat Sabatini to Jamall Emmers: 'It's better for the fans'
  • UFC.com : Hunting Runs Deep In The Swiderski Family