Topic: UFC Discussion

How a UFC Women's Flyweight Division Could Look

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

dtrain24
dtrain24
  • Predictions:  11,983  |  65.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,212
  • Post Score: 235

03.12.2017 | 4:21 PM ET

Hey guys, I was just curious as to how you thought a women's flyweight division could look in the UFC? Obviously, there would be girls moving up, down, and free agent signings. 

Here's an article I wrote for MMASucka.com to kick off the conversation:

http://mmasucka.com/2017/03/10/ufc-womens-flyweight-division-look-like/

I won't lie, I appreciate every click. But I am genuinely interested to see who you all think the UFC should sign, and what you think of some of the women I listed. 

"His legacy is money. My legacy is smesh." -Khabib

Responses

SlongKong
SlongKong
  • Predictions:  153  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  845
  • Post Score: 56

03.12.2017 | 6:35 PM ET

nah

The UFC should focus on taking care of the female fighters already under contract, not add another division for girls to be used and underappriciated.

and like Featherweight, the best fighters are in Bellator. So it'd be rather meaningless.

"I'll fight any man; Any animal. If Jesus were here; I'd fight him too.- Mike Tyson; Downvote me if you want this ****"

Kuma
Kuma
  • Predictions:  40,025  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,845
  • Post Score: 210

03.12.2017 | 7:41 PM ET

There's plenty of 125 talent out there imo (and girls changing weight/already signed FLW/BW's) to make a division,especially considering they made that absolutely worthless 145 division.I still shake my head about that ridiculous division.125 has a lot of potential though imo and could eventually be the best female division in the UFC in terms of depth with 125 possibly being the optimal weight for a female division.125 is inevitable imo.I'll read the article tonight.
dtrain24
dtrain24
  • Predictions:  11,983  |  65.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,212
  • Post Score: 235

03.12.2017 | 7:53 PM ET

Yeah, the thing is, a good portion of a potential 125 division would already consist of women that are under contract. Essentially, all of the bantamweights that are too small for the division, and all the strawweights who have a hard time making the 116 limit.

"His legacy is money. My legacy is smesh." -Khabib

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

03.12.2017 | 9:46 PM ET

If you can have 145 which, even if you sc****d together every natural 145er in MMA, would still consists of Cyborg and her victims then 125 which actually has a fair share of talent shouldn't be that hard.

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

03.13.2017 | 12:46 AM ET

Let me get this straight, the UFC, currently on a mission to completely destroy their roster, should consider adding a new division? The UFC should not, repeat SHOULD NOT add any more divisions. WFW was stupid to add w/o Cyborg being available, and even then it was stupid b/c there is a total of two good fighters. Compounding this stupidity is the fact that the UFC is intent on letting go of their current talent to make way for gems like: Thibault Gouti, Russell Doane, Angela Magaña, Bec Rawlings, Garreth McLellan, Chris Avila, and CM Punk.

Having said that, 125 lb female division is more deserving of its own division than WFW. Though, I think if the UFC works on another women's division it's just going to dilute Invicta, which would be sad. They had a good thing going before the UFC started adding divisions. In some ways, I'd prefer UFC to stay out of WMMA and let Invicta promote WMMA. I'm also of the opinion that the way the UFC has been doing business lately they'll just use the division as a way to further dilute current product, which makes it extremely unpalatable to me.

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

03.13.2017 | 12:14 PM ET

No, having a big gap and a missing weight class makes the UFC look amateur.

This is the last class they need to add though.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 5 days, 12 hours, and 55 minutes from now.
maccca3232
maccca3232
  • Predictions:  123  |  65.9%
  • Forum Posts:  81
  • Post Score: 107

03.16.2017 | 9:37 PM ET

The UFC signed a couple of top 10 ranked flyweights in Chookagian and Botelho (yet to make promotion debut). I recall Carmouche stating interest also. While it logically should create a 125 division it will realistically take a 'big draw', possibly Dern though she appears commited to 115 at present, to force their hand. I acknowledge I would be in the minority but I would love to see Rousey paying it forward and agree to fight at 125.
Hyrm
Hyrm
  • Predictions:  6,115  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,255
  • Post Score: 189

03.17.2017 | 11:57 AM ET

straweight is already a weak division! I think they should not make it weaker by creating a flyweight! 

Maybe, changing the bantamweight limit for 130 would be a better choice

"Never go down without a fight"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Star-Studded Lineup Confirmed For UFC Fight Pass Invitational 7
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 commentary team, broadcast plans set: New trio calls action from cageside for first time
  • MMAFighting.com : The 2024 MMA Draft: Which 35 fighters are the best building blocks for MMA promotions?
  • MMA Mania : Gaethje Didn’t Realize ‘How Much Danger I Was In’ Against Holloway
  • MMA Junkie : UFC returns to Manchester for UFC 304 on July 27
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 304 announced for Manchester this summer
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Ryan Garcia admits health concerns were all an act: ‘I was not gonna budge for nobody’
  • MMA Mania : Barber Was Ready To ‘Lay This Lady Out’ In Viral Video
  • MMA Junkie : Video: 'UFC on ESPN 55: Nicolau vs. Perez' media day live stream (2:45 p.m. ET)
  • UFC.com : UFC Makes Highly Anticipated Return To Manchester On July 27 With UFC 304
  • Middle Easy : ‘MMA Media Hates Me,’ Ronda Rousey Reacts To Career Backlash & ‘How Happily Everybody Turned’ On UFC Star
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: It PAYS To Be King
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Reveals His ‘Crazy’ Behavior Was a Publicity Stunt Planned Months in Advance
  • MMA Mania : ‘99.9%’ Chance Edwards Vs. Muhammad 2 Happens At UFC 304
  • MMA Junkie : The 10 largest UFC attendances in history
  • MMA Mania : ‘MMA Media Hates Me, It’s Fine’
  • Middle Easy : Jiri Prochazka Doubles Down On Callout For Alex Pereira Rematch At UFC 301: ‘I Think I Deserve It’
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Goes Off On Logan Paul For Child Trafficking Comments, Claims He Will ‘Destroy’ Paul In Boxing Match
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway's coach breaks down matchup against 'oversized bantamweight' Ilia Topuria
  • MMAFighting.com : Lyoto Machida ‘already breathing fire’ after Luke Rockhold callout, interested in Karate Combat rematch