Topic: Former Fighters & Retirements

Is Demetrious Johnson's Title Reign Better The Anderson Silva's Title Reign

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

IAmLegend012
IAmLegend012
  • Predictions:  1,649  |  60.8%
  • Forum Posts:  236
  • Post Score: 158

03.04.2017 | 10:06 PM ET

I was looking at both of their opponents records coming in to a title fight. DJ has a heads up on Anderson by percentage points .817 (DJ) .813 (AS). Demetrious has only fought 4 guys with 5 or more losses, compared to Anderson 6 guys with 5 or more losses. DJ opponents overall record in title fights 148 - 32 - 1, Anderson is 248-55-2. The biggest asterisk for DJ is that he's never fought an title challenger with 20+ Wins, Anderson has fought 7 guys with 20+ Wins with a title on the line ... so who do you guys think has had a better title reign and why ?

Responses

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,478  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

03.05.2017 | 12:12 AM ET

Yes. None of DJs fights have been close.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

03.05.2017 | 12:13 AM ET

DJ is a shark in a small pond, so no, even if he brakes Anderson's record, no.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 2 weeks, 4 days, 23 hours, and 34 minutes from now.
HJWalker
HJWalker
  • Predictions:  3,064  |  67.6%
  • Forum Posts:  337
  • Post Score: 118

03.05.2017 | 3:32 PM ET

I still lean towards Silva but they are definitely comparable I think. Plus Mighty Mouse, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't need sexy sextime pills so that makes me like his reign even more.
mbach4307
mbach4307
  • Predictions:  934  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  887
  • Post Score: 137

03.05.2017 | 5:13 PM ET

I respect the hell out of mm and what he's been able to do, but he hasn't faced the same threats as Anderson imho. Hendo and vitor can shut the lights off at any point in the fight. One 2nd you're doing well, and the next memory you have is at the hospital. Both have wins over the current mw champ, and Anderson finished both.  Rich franklin was an established champ and Anderson made him look silly twice. Plus he went up and destroyed the most recent lhw champ in one of the single greatest performances ever. I know Cruz is on another level from Forrest, but that was mm's only fight against a championship caliber fighter from a higher weightclass and he lost. I understand that mm has improved significantly since then, but it's the only case study we have. 

And before anyone gets the wrong impression, I respect the hell out of mm, I just don't think the threat level is near what it is at the higher weightclasses. I just look at how much of difference someone with good movement/one shot power made against Cruz in his most recent title fight. 

"Where are my shoes?"

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

03.05.2017 | 8:31 PM ET

MM is just that much better. He makes everyone look average at best when they are not against other opponents.

OutlawJoseyWales
OutlawJoseyWales
  • Predictions:  10,186  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,392
  • Post Score: -147

03.06.2017 | 7:43 PM ET

mighty mouse needs to knock this fighter out b/c that last fight sucked. i hate wrestlers and thats all he did to elliot.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 7 months, 1 week, 4 days, 1 hour, and 4 minutes from now.
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

03.07.2017 | 8:11 AM ET

Elliot fought a good fight but only for the first round.

Gendish
Gendish
  • Predictions:  5,142  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  26
  • Post Score: 265

03.07.2017 | 10:50 AM ET

@Outlaw Have you hear about thai / kickboxing? sounds like it would suit you better, or maybe you could take a few months and wrestle / grapplas to understand what is required ..

MM is a very smart fighter who can be the whole of the MMA game beter than Silva. MM always try to take as little damage as possible (which to many may seem boring, but it is clearly the best strategy in MMA, if you can not come up when he took you down, to bad .. if you can not get him down and he keeps it standing, to bad, then you have done to poor homework or simply meet someone who's too good for you.)

But Flyweight is a lot thinner than the MW weight class, so you can not really compare.

I myself think JBJ has faced the most difficult opponents and dominated them like no other .. (But both Jones and Silva have had doping controls that looks very strange ..)
So I have to give this to MM. He's the king!

"Out of everything I lost, I miss my mind the most! - Ozzy Osbourne"

Hyrm
Hyrm
  • Predictions:  6,103  |  64.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,250
  • Post Score: 190

03.07.2017 | 11:23 AM ET

MightyMouse Knock Cejudo first round and submith Horiguchi recently!

Its funmny that guys are fans of GSP, who finish nobody, but criticize MM for the same thing!

"Never go down without a fight"

Anders_NL
Anders_NL
  • Predictions:  114  |  62.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: -200

03.07.2017 | 11:30 AM ET

sorry

Sorry 

People hate and jeer midgets we need to do extra to earn even small praise ask one 

* Edited at 03.07.2017, 3:05 PM ET *

"Dutch Know Kickboxing "

Gendish
Gendish
  • Predictions:  5,142  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  26
  • Post Score: 265

03.07.2017 | 2:08 PM ET

@Anders_NL
You might think that I take all political decisions here in Sweden .. But that is not the case ..
If you tried to mock me with that, then you are far from success .. This is a forum for MMA and we will have different opinions about things..  but there is no reason to become political in this argument. If you don't like Sweden, pleace don't go ther. but believe me I'm going to Holland this summer, I'll can buy you a beer than we talk politics. ;)

Quite honestly I do not care what you do outside the cage (as long as you are not taking PED's or injure any innocent), if you run your mouth good for you. but there is nothing I need to hear. I want to see you fight all potensial, so if you are better on the ground, don't go "Almeida style".
What you want to say? Silva's all-aourond game is better than MM? yee he might be more fun to watch but please ..

"Out of everything I lost, I miss my mind the most! - Ozzy Osbourne"

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  31,957  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972
  • Post Score: 195

03.07.2017 | 5:03 PM ET

I think what Silva did will always be regarded as more legendary but some people sell Mighty Mouse short. Benavidez has only lost to MM at flyweight and had an impressive run beating McCall, stopping Uyenoyama, and annihilating Formiga before MM koed him in round 1 in their rematch. Dodson stopped Dillashaw who went on to be champion at 135 but couldn't do the same to MM in their first fight and barely touched him in their second. MM has faced fighters of every style and most of them haven't even come close to beating him, he's had more one-sided drubbings than competitive fights.

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

OutlawJoseyWales
OutlawJoseyWales
  • Predictions:  10,186  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,392
  • Post Score: -147

03.08.2017 | 7:35 PM ET

@gendish. if you are considered the pound for pound best fighter there is you should be able to defeat your opponent in more than one way.  i like MM too but not when he is wrestling. i want an all -around MMA. someone who can use the whole arsenal in their game and DJ has many more ways to win a fight than  wrestle. i'm glad when the ufc cuts people like rick story whose best quality was wrestling.

* Edited at 03.08.2017, 7:36 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 7 months, 1 week, 4 days, 1 hour, and 4 minutes from now.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Muhammad Goes Off On Edwards And ‘Fakest Team I’ve Ever Seen’
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia has skill set to compete with Devin Haney. Does he have mindset?
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway mocks Ilia Topuria’s demands for potential fight; Topuria responds
  • MMA Junkie : Henry Cejudo: Bo Nickal needs to hold his horses, 'maybe 10 fights away from possibly becoming UFC champion'
  • MMA Mania : Frenemies? ‘I Hate To See A Fighter Lose His Confidence’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 weigh-in results: Welterweights, featherweights set in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : ‘When I Was Your Age, I Already Had Title Defenses, Buddy’
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia fight card
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Belal Muhammad Claims He ‘Hates Leon Edwards’ Guts,’ Hopes To Dethrone The Welterweight King In Manchester
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Says He’s ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, Wants Logan Paul Or Floyd Mayweather Jr In Boxing After Nate Diaz
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Suggests Herb Dean Played a Part in Jamahal Hill’s UFC 300 Loss, ‘Big’ John McCarthy Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway responds to the 'un-BMF' demands from UFC champ Ilia Topuria
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Eddie Hearn says things about to get real for Ryan Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Hearn says things about to get real for Garcia
  • MMA Mania : PFL Chicago Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Relive every win of Conor McGregor’s epic UFC career
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Strickland vs. Paulo Costa: Odds and what to know ahead of UFC 302 co-headliner
  • MMA Mania : No Foul Play! ‘The Cutman Used A Boxing Technique’
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 weigh-in video
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 weigh-in video, results