Topic: Souza vs. Whittaker

Souza vs. Whittaker

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,582  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,524
  • Post Score: 60

03.04.2017 | 9:32 PM ET

This is the official discussion thread for Souza vs. Whittaker. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 2

AlexSpanBjj
AlexSpanBjj
  • Predictions:  1,328  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  215
  • Post Score: 79

03.08.2017 | 3:14 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Souza   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

If this fight happens, it will probably be outside the UFC in a submission grappling contest i guess
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

03.08.2017 | 7:00 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Souza   wrong Submission   wrong Round 1  

Or against Roger Gracie. He tapped Jacare in BJJ.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

AlexSpanBjj
AlexSpanBjj

03.08.2017 | 7:17 AM ET

Roger have a significant size (height and weight) advantage over Jacare. They just met each other in absolute division.

Jacare all day

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

03.08.2017 | 1:33 PM ET

Alex, they could fight at 185 as that is where Roger fought at the one time he did in the UFC.

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

03.08.2017 | 2:08 PM ET

Some of you act like Jacare is one dimensional. He's not. His striking has come along way and he can hold his own on the feet with most MW's. I like Whittaker a lot but he's outmatched here. Jacare by whatever he wants

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

03.08.2017 | 2:50 PM ET

Whitaker has impressed me over his last few fights but I believe Jacare to be the more dynamic fighter who has more ways to win.

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,888  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

03.08.2017 | 4:01 PM ET

If it comes down to skill for skill, Jacare should definitely win.  My only hesitation is in that Jacare is getting a little bit older, while Whittaker is young, scrappy, powerful and getting more well rounded all the time. 

My guess is Jacare will give him a free grappling lesson.  I'm not counting Whittaker out though. 
mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

03.08.2017 | 9:26 PM ET

Prediction: correct Whittaker   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Why is everyone so sure Jacare can just take Whittaker down? His TDD is absurdly good.

EDIT: 94% according to UFC.com, that's insane TDD, maybe the best at MW.

* Edited at 03.08.2017, 9:28 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 5 days, 23 hours, and 17 minutes from now.
Thesnake101
Thesnake101
  • Predictions:  14,822  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,007
  • Post Score: 207

03.08.2017 | 9:49 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Souza   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

Think the fight is going to be closely contested, Jacare's best shot is to take Robert down late in the fight IF he gasses, because I don't think he'll be able to take a fresh Whittaker down. His TDD is great.
sheeps
sheeps
  • Predictions:  30  |  66.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3
  • Post Score: 67

04.09.2017 | 8:57 PM ET

?
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

04.10.2017 | 7:53 AM ET

Jacare just seems so much better.

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

04.10.2017 | 7:55 AM ET

Speaking of TDD, how many of those fighters have good takedowns?

AlexSpanBjj
AlexSpanBjj

04.10.2017 | 8:59 AM ET

@rappinpapsoda. That's precisely the point here. Robert's TDD is not representative at this point. He is overated to me (no attempt to disrespect him here) with some win over Clint, Tavares, Hall, Natal.. really? Even his last win over Brunson was in my opinion more about Brunson having zero IQ. Of course their are some good arguments in favor of Whittaker but at this point, it's very hard to be confident with him winning. I am only thinking about hedging on him because of the moneyline, nothing else.

Jacare is very smart and powerful. I can easely see him throw short combinations to break the distance and start to work from the clinch against the cage. It only requires one little trick to put him down. The knowledge gap on the ground is HUGE.

The only way i can see Robert winning would be a flash counter to caught Jacare and eventually finish him (but he have a solid chin) or a very very good space management during 3 rounds and try to outpoint him But this is going to be freaking hard against a guy like Jacare.

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

04.10.2017 | 9:29 AM ET

Prediction: correct Whittaker   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Jacre has a round .5 to sub or he will lose tko/ko

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

04.10.2017 | 10:07 AM ET

Prediction: correct Whittaker   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

If Rob gets in to latter r2 / 3 its his to lose

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

Phillpjohnstonmma
Phillpjohnstonmma
  • Predictions:  13  |  46.2%
  • Forum Posts:  13
  • Post Score: 0

04.11.2017 | 9:40 AM ET

Souza by sub
Gunnar
Gunnar
  • Predictions:  2,576  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  172
  • Post Score: 66

04.13.2017 | 2:42 AM ET

Prediction: correct Whittaker   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

I'll start this by saying the ground is death with Jacare, and if the Rob finds himself with Jacare established in top position with his back on the ground, he will almost certainly be submitted. Now where I differ from the conventional wisdom in this fight is my appreciation of how extremely good Rob Whittaker's striking is, amongst the best in MW imo. His footwork is phenomenal and he carries his lethality through the fight, he can burst and recover and burst again. His technique is so sharp and the way he combines strikes into combinations is perfectly designed to break you. People retort with "Yes but who has he done this against, Clint Hester?, Derrick Brunson?. Fair in terms of comparative levels of competition but the technique Rob shows in all of his fights speaks for itself. His prescence of mind during finishing sequences and killer instinct tell me that if he should rock Jacare he absolutely has the ability to put him out. Just look at the finishing sequence of Clint Hester where Rob, in the middle of pure chaos, makes the read of Hester ducking and in 2 seconds sets Hester up with a lazy 1-2 followed by a brutal knee, perfectly meeting the ducking head of Hester. That level of striking intelligence and killer instinct for me will be about in the Jacare fight. Jacare's striking is very basic but it's so effective because of how scary the guy is, he is a physical freak who is able to walk you down and wing back ferocious power that stiffles you and makes you tentative, which in turn makes it easier for Jacare to time you and read you. Jacare has power but he doesn't have the diversity of weapons and the intelligence of how to combine them to compete with Rob on the feet, and I think if this fight stays standing Rob absolutely holds a decisive advantage. Ok, that begs the question WILL it stay standing. The answer is who the **** knows but I am willing to bank, based on everything we have seen about the hustle, heart and athleticism of Whittaker, that he will be able to avoid the TD attempts by Jacare long enough to crack Jacare and turn the momentum entirely in his favour. If Rob is for whatever reason unable to earn Jacare's attention with his strikes Jacare has the ability to chase him down and grab him, but again I like Rob's chances of touching Jacare on the chin. Jacare's chin isn't exactly amazing either, and his head doesn't move much outside of super exagerated and deliberate slips. The slips are nice but his head is only ever moving for 2 seconds at a time, then it's back to stationary hit me. Whittaker being an elite striker constantly has his head moving and because his technique is so fluid he can hold his hands lower and uncork strikes from unorthodox angles that pose problems for guys. I think this is Rob's time, he will be the best version of himself we have ever seen and I think the 37 year old Jacare won't be. That will make the difference and that will see Whittaker KO Jacare Souza.
boylondon21
boylondon21
  • Predictions:  5,381  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2
  • Post Score: 0

04.13.2017 | 7:33 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Souza   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

R
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

04.13.2017 | 7:54 AM ET

Is this Souza's last fight on his contract?

AlexSpanBjj
AlexSpanBjj

04.13.2017 | 7:56 AM ET

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 91 Odds, Under Dogs And Best Bets!
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Just continue being the best’: Crawford looks forward to upcoming title fight with Madrimov
  • MMA Mania : Doumbe Gets New Opponent For Bellator Paris
  • MMA Junkie : Terence Crawford vs. Israil Madrimov official; Isaac Cruz, Andy Ruiz Jr. on undercard
  • Middle Easy : Chris Weidman Compares Alex Pereira’s Wrestling To Ben Askren’s Striking: ‘Such A Deficiency’
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Would Step In The Fire With Pereira And He Knows That’
  • MMA Junkie : Matheus Nicolau done with Manel Kape bookings, focused on title shot after UFC on ESPN 55 headliner
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight card: Perry vs. Alves
  • Middle Easy : ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone Tears Bicep ‘Off the Bone’ While Preparing to Ride Dana White’s Prized Bull
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Spann claims he hasn't watched tape on Bogdan Guskov ahead of UFC on ESPN 55 co-main bout
  • MMA Mania : Keep $300K Bonuses! ‘It Can’t Go Back’
  • MMAFighting.com : Joaquin Buckley vs. Nursulton Ruziboev announced for UFC St. Louis co-headliner
  • MMA Junkie : Joaquin Buckley gets UFC on ESPN 56 co-main assignment vs. Nursulton Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : Pereira = ... Askren? ‘It’s Weird To See’
  • MMAFighting.com : Cain Velasquez attempted murder trial set to begin in September
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo confirms UFC 301 final fight on contract, hints at boxing match at Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Run it back, give fans a fair fight’: Devin Haney on Ryan Garcia loss
  • UFC.com : Alexandre Pantoja | TUF Beginnings
  • MMA Junkie : Former UFC champion Cain Velasquez gets trial date in attempted murder case
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Love Dana White. There’s No Issues’