Topic: UFC 212

Jose Aldo vs. Max Holloway featherweight title fight official for UFC 212

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

mmajoker
mmajoker
  • Predictions:  4,082  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5
  • Post Score: 160

02.13.2017 | 2:15 PM ET

The UFC’s featherweight division is getting a little closer to becoming whole again.

UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo will meet interim champion Max Holloway in a title unification bout at UFC 212 on June 3 in Rio de Janeiro, the UFC announced officially Sunday morning.

Combate reported on the bout Friday and UFC president Dana White mentioned it to ESPN’s Brett Okamoto on a podcast. Presumably Aldo vs. Holloway will be the UFC 212 main event.

Aldo (26-2), who held the UFC/WEC featherweight title from 2009 to 2015, won the interim belt by beating Frankie Edgar by unanimous decision at UFC 200 last July. A few weeks after Conor McGregor, who beat Aldo via knockout at UFC 194 in December 2015, won the lightweight title back in November, the UFC stripped McGregor of the featherweight title and gave it to Aldo.

Holloway (17-3), who has won 10 straight fights, won the interim title by beating Anthony Pettis by third-round TKO at UFC 206 in December. McGregor still considers himself to be the undisputed featherweight champion, since he has beaten both Aldo and Holloway. However, he never defended the title, instead fighting Nate Diaz twice and Eddie Alvarez for the lightweight title last year.

Aldo, 30, was a dominant featherweight champion during his run and regarded as the best titleholder the division has ever had. The Brazilian is a future UFC Hall of Famer and is an all-time great. Holloway, 25, is still coming into his own and is one of the most promising young fighters in the sport. He was only 21 years old when he lost to McGregor in 2013.

The title fight is the only bout currently announced for UFC 212.

"Introduce a little anarchy"

UFC 212
  • Saturday 06.03.2017 at 10:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: Fox Sports 1
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: WME-IMG
  • Venue: HSBC Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Brian Stann, Dominick Cruz
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Brian Stann
  • Attendance: 15,412
  • PPV Buys / Buyrate: 200,000 | TV Ratings: 732,000 avg. viewers (FS1 prelims)
  • MMA Bouts: 12
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Max Holloway   defeats   José Aldo   via KO/TKO, Ground and Pound   4:13 Round 3 of 5, 14:13 Total Bout Page
Cláudia Gadelha   defeats   Karolina Kowalkiewicz   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   3:03 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Vitor Belfort   defeats   Nate Marquardt   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Paulo Costa   defeats   Oluwale Bamgbose   via KO/TKO, Punches   1:06 Round 2 of 3, 6:06 Total Bout Page
Yancy Medeiros   defeats   Erick Silva   via KO/TKO, Punches   2:01 Round 2 of 3, 7:01 Total Bout Page
Raphael Assunção   defeats   Marlon Moraes   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Antônio Carlos Júnior   defeats   Eric Spicely   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   3:49 Round 2 of 3, 8:49 Total Bout Page
Matthew Lopez   defeats   Johnny Eduardo   via KO/TKO, Punches   2:57 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Brian Kelleher   defeats   Iuri Alcântara   via Submission, Guillotine Choke   1:48 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Viviane Pereira   defeats   Jamie Moyle   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Luan Chagas   defeats   Jim Wallhead   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   4:48 Round 2 of 3, 9:48 Total Bout Page
Deiveson Figueiredo   defeats   Marco Beltran   via KO/TKO, Corner Stoppage   5:00 Round 2 of 3, 10:00 Total Bout Page

Responses

unbeknownst
unbeknownst
  • Predictions:  5,020  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,679
  • Post Score: 208

02.13.2017 | 2:59 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 325 Points   |   Tied for 1163rd

Amanda Nunes vs. Valentina Shevchenko II would be a great addition as the co-main event.

"I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture, and kill them."

Kuma
Kuma
  • Predictions:  40,025  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,845
  • Post Score: 210

02.13.2017 | 3:59 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 490 Points   |   Tied for 436th

When was FW really whole anyway?It's been forever.For a long time there was like 3-5 #1'ish contenders because Aldo very very rarely fought coupled with UFC mixing in fights like Frankie Edgar fighting his first FW fight for the title while there was already a bunch of contenders.FW has been pretty much a mess for a really long time.One of my favorite divisions for sure,but still a mess.Aldo has only fought 6 times in over 5 years and didn't fight a ton before that since WEC.

As long as Aldo is champ I see FW always having problems running smooth and the way they hand out interim belts we'll see tons of those imo with Aldo as champ.I don't have a ton of faith in the division being "whole" again unless Max wins,cause he fights all the time and will fight anyone.
dtrain24
dtrain24
  • Predictions:  11,971  |  65.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,212
  • Post Score: 235

02.13.2017 | 4:37 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 573rd

@Kuma Yeah, I like Aldo, but I agree. Though, I have a gut feeling that Aldo is done with MMA if he loses to Holloway. 

"His legacy is money. My legacy is smesh." -Khabib

unbeknownst
unbeknownst
  • Predictions:  5,020  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,679
  • Post Score: 208

02.13.2017 | 4:38 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 325 Points   |   Tied for 1163rd

McGregor is still the linear FW champ as well. Until that gets united with Aldo's current "undisputed" FW title it will always be less than whole.

"I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture, and kill them."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : New video shows Max Holloway’s instant backstage reaction after legendary Justin Gaethje knockout
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Magomed By KO? Pereira ‘Doesn’t Have A Chin’
  • MMA Mania : Bellator Paris Fight Card, Rumors For Nurmagomedov vs. Shabliy
  • MMA Mania : New Title? McGregor Vs. Chandler ‘Should Be For A Belt’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 300 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media
  • MMA Junkie : Deiveson Figueiredo: 'I deserve to fight for the championship next' after UFC 300
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Should Max Holloway go back to 145 or stay at 155 after BMF title win?
  • MMA Mania : Math! Harrison Proves ‘PFL Champions Can Beat Anyone’
  • Middle Easy : Kayla Harrison Calls For Interim Title Fight with Julianna Pena at UFC 303: ‘I Will Make Myself Available’
  • MMA Junkie : Judges Gonna Judge: Did Arman Tsarukyan deserve UFC 300 nod vs. Charles Oliveira?
  • MMAFighting.com : Jorge Masvidal explains frustration dealing with ‘diva’ Nate Diaz for boxing match
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Praised Max Holloway For Making Elite Fighters “Seem Normal,” Talks Alex Pereira’s Success Without Wrestling Skills
  • Middle Easy : Sean O’Malley Reacts To Max Holloway’s “F*cking Legendary” Knockout Win At UFC 300, Thinks Holloway Should Stay At Lightweight
  • MMA Junkie : Bo Nickal explains callout of Anthony Hernandez at UFC 300: 'I want to start fighting better guys'
  • Middle Easy : Former NFL Star Chad Ochocinco Promises to ‘Thump’ Max Holloway’s Chin in Proposed Sparring Session
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway brought back sparring for UFC 300, says fighting Justin Gaethje ‘like going through the gates of hell’
  • MMA Mania : ‘Iconic’ Holloway ‘Always Been That Good’
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Reacts To Max Holloway’s ‘BMF’ KO At UFC 300, Dubs Justin Gaethje ‘Easy Fight’
  • MMA Junkie : Jiri Prochazka sets sights on another light heavyweight title shot after UFC 300
  • MMA Mania : How Coming Out Changed The Life Of Liz Carmouche