Topic: Aldo vs. Holloway

Aldo vs. Holloway

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,406  |  73.7%
  • Forum Posts:  17,428
  • Post Score: 60

02.10.2017 | 5:10 PM ET

This is the official discussion thread for Aldo vs. Holloway. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

02.10.2017 | 5:10 PM ET

Prediction: correct Holloway   wrong Decision  

Expected for June.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

02.12.2017 | 11:58 AM ET

Confirmed!

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Kuma
Kuma
  • Predictions:  39,985  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,845
  • Post Score: 210

02.12.2017 | 12:12 PM ET

I of course love this fight,but it's hard to get genuinely excited considering how often Aldo gets injured,June is a lot of a time to hurt himself.Guy has fought just six times in over five years.Aldo fights are like bigfoot sightings.
Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,816  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,556
  • Post Score: 275

02.12.2017 | 12:36 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Aldo   wrong Decision  

I'd take peak-Aldo over peak-Holloway, assuming Aldo's gas tank held up well enough later in the fight, which might be a bad assumption.

That said, I don't expect we'll ever see peak-Aldo again, so I'm not really sure what to expect for this fight. 

Unlike the BS interim 155 fight, however, this fight to me feels like a legit title fight.  McGregor ain't coming back to defend at 145 and these two guys are the elite of the division.

"I live, I die, I live again."

ShakeANDBake720
ShakeANDBake720
  • Predictions:  10,018  |  65.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,838
  • Post Score: 235

02.12.2017 | 1:10 PM ET

This being in Brazil hurts Holloway because I don't see any way this fight doesn't go the distance.

"Duck, I want to sleep with my wife tonight,"

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,050  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,481
  • Post Score: 203

02.12.2017 | 4:59 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Aldo   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

One more win for the featherweight GOAT.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  31,861  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,971
  • Post Score: 195

02.13.2017 | 4:26 AM ET

I hope Holloway wins this but IDK. Thought Aldo might go on decline after McGregor fight but he bounced back hard against an incredibly tough opponent in Frankie Edgar.

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,442  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,595
  • Post Score: 69

02.13.2017 | 7:40 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Aldo   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Aldo wins this brutally.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,478  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

02.14.2017 | 4:47 AM ET

@Kuma, You can go ahead and get excited. Aldo rarely "injures out" of fights in Brazil. Check the stats, he tends to injure out of US/Canada cards and then magically make it through camp unscathed when the bout is rescheduled for Brazil (naturally he couldn't do that vs. Conor because the fight would have only continuously been rescheduled for Vegas).

Aldo doesn't like fighting nor travelling, so he tends to do it on his terms, which, given the way he's being treated by his employer, I don't blame him for doing - **** them, they're not exactly looking out for his best interest, so I guess he has to do it himself. 

He's more than earned the right to pick and choose when and where he fights at this stage of his career. If he's not being given "legend treatment" after working so hard to become a legend over the years, I see nothing wrong in him "manufacturing" it for himself.

* Edited at 02.14.2017, 7:02 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

02.14.2017 | 5:02 AM ET

Prediction: correct Holloway   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

@TacoMike, "FW Goat Aldo"
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 4 months, 1 week, 1 day, 14 hours, and 59 minutes from now.
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,442  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,595
  • Post Score: 69

02.14.2017 | 6:52 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Aldo   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Yoss is correct on the Aldo thing with mostly fighting in Brazil.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

Kuma
Kuma
  • Predictions:  39,985  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,845
  • Post Score: 210

02.14.2017 | 3:12 PM ET

Good point Yossgold,I totally forgot about the whole pulling out of non brazil fights.
Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,693  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

02.14.2017 | 3:51 PM ET

max is on a tear and will put on a great fight but i gotta side with aldo for now. If new info comes up for me ill happily switch, but for now aldo!

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

02.14.2017 | 4:00 PM ET

I think Holloway is not only going to win but rather dominantly. I think stylistically it a bad fight for Aldo. Also think aldo going to get out struck and boxed up. He going to tire as the fight goes on and get more and more beat up. I see a possible finish for Max in later rounds.

"here I come to save the day"

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,478  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

02.15.2017 | 8:21 AM ET

@Franklin, same here.

I mean, I do keep in mind that Aldo is a legend and I would understand why he's the favourite in most eyes.

I just think, Aldo's most dominant wins in the post-Hominick fight "era" mainly came from two things:

Fighting from distance, keeping his opponent at bay and actually engaging in the last minute or so of each round so that he has time to recover because his cardio isn't amazing (most likely due to the way he cuts and his non-economical style when he's really fighting).

So given that, for one, I don't think he can outbox/kickbox Holloway from distance, I think Holloway's style, technique, footwork would make it hard for Aldo to do to him what he consistently did to Frankie Edgar, Ricardo Lamas or KZ. He's taller, longer and has the footwork and knowhow to find all of Aldo's holes.

Secondly, Holloway WILL push the pace. No matter who he fights, you're not going to keep him off you for the entirety of the fight. You're not going to be the one deciding when and if you engage. He's going to be in your face, making you fight every second for better or for worse. The last time I saw Aldo engage for a whole round in a high-paced fight was vs. Mendes in their second fight and he was gasping after 1.5 rounds and went back to trying to engage only at the ends of the rounds. Now Mendes lacked the striking prowess and the physical attributes needed to force Aldo to fight continuously on the feet while as Holloway doesn't.

I think Holloway pushes Aldo past his gas tank and takes over somewhere from mid-to-late round 2, mid round 3 tops and I'm not sure that in the first rounds, which I think will be closer, Aldo will necessarily be the better fighter (my guess is they split them with Holloway taking the first).

* Edited at 02.15.2017, 8:23 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

mikeyg
mikeyg

02.15.2017 | 2:54 PM ET

As a giant Aldo fan from the WEC days, I just can't root for this version of Aldo. Nor do I think his new conservative style will fair well against a guy like Holloway who has all the momentum.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 4 months, 1 week, 1 day, 14 hours, and 59 minutes from now.
Katzengott
Katzengott
  • Predictions:  724  |  60.8%
  • Forum Posts:  184
  • Post Score: 32

05.06.2017 | 12:07 PM ET

Aldo will fade against a hungrier, younger lion. Holloway was able to go to the distance with McGregor but this time the judges will score in his favor.
mikeyg
mikeyg

05.07.2017 | 2:14 AM ET

If the fight is close Aldo could be getting himself a hometown decision. But I got Max by TKO
lldowntoearthll
lldowntoearthll
  • Predictions:  3,888  |  60.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,372
  • Post Score: 39

05.30.2017 | 5:49 PM ET

great fight, but don't want either to lose. if max can take one of the first 3 rounds then he might be able to rally late and steal a decision. still gotta think that aldo is the man until he shows a decline and he didn't show that in the frankie rematch.
Arch
Arch
  • Predictions:  12  |  25.0%
  • Forum Posts:  3
  • Post Score: 0

06.01.2017 | 8:18 AM ET

easy peasy

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Latest UFC Saudi Arabia Fight Card, ABC Lineup
  • MMA Mania : Never Mind! Colby Won’t Fight Down For Garry
  • Jits Magazine : UFC Star Jack Della Maddalena Promoted To BJJ Black Belt
  • UFC.com : Dana White Announces Main Event For UFC Saudi Arabia On June 22
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Saudia Arabia fight card announced with Robert Whittaker vs. Khamzat Chimaev headliner
  • MMA Mania : Khamzat Vs Whittaker Headlines UFC Saudi Arabia
  • MMAFighting.com : Khamzat Chimaev vs. Robert Whittaker set as UFC Saudi Arabia main event, 4 more fights announced
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Sandman Sees Suga Stop The Machine
  • UFC.com : UFC And Tourism WA Announce Multiyear Deal To Bring Two Action-Packed MMA Events To Perth
  • MMA Mania : UFC Atlantic City Odds, Under Dogs And Best Bets!
  • MMA Junkie : UFC free fight: Charles Oliveira rallies to light up Michael Chandler for first title win
  • MMA Mania : ‘Are We Fighting Or What?!’
  • MMA Junkie : Javier Mendez disagrees with Daniel Cormier's claim that Islam Makhachev more dangerous than Khabib Nurmagomedov
  • MMA Junkie : Cory Sandhagen: UFC champ Sean O'Malley has 'really good shot' of finishing Merab Dvalishvili
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘A win and a knockout’: Wardley prepared to put on a show against Clarke
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘A win and a knockout’: Fabio Wardley prepared to put on a show against Frazer Clarke
  • MMA Mania : Eblen ‘Blows Through’ Adesanya, Reaches Strickland In MMA March Madness
  • MMA Junkie : Why UFC on ESPN 54's Vicente Luque accepted dangerous Joaquin Buckley replacement
  • MMAFighting.com : No Bets Barred: Can Manon Fiorot stop Erin Blanchfield at UFC Atlantic City? Plus, one time for Chris Weidman
  • MMA Mania : Barber: ‘Boring’ Blanchield ‘Fought My Leftovers’