Tapology Forums

Meryl Streep

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Dodgey
Dodgey
  • Predictions:  5,791  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  674
  • Post Score: 271

01.09.2017 | 7:23 AM ET

Looks like the talented actress Meryl Streep has used MMA to attack Donald Trump.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-golden-globes-2017-live-hollywood-s-president-meryl-streep-1483933196-htmlstory.html

Sounds like she may be outta touch, what do you guys think?

I think she a little crazy, but that long at the top your mind going to go.

* Edited at 01.09.2017, 7:38 AM ET *

"Just an average guy with exceptional hair, nothing more, nothing less" Kenny Powers

Responses Page 2

OutlawJoseyWales
OutlawJoseyWales
  • Predictions:  10,186  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,392
  • Post Score: -147

01.10.2017 | 6:17 PM ET

I could care less about her jabs at trump but bringing football and mma into it  was stupid. serves her justice that one of the best college football  games in history just happened last night and the underdog clemson tigers won that game on the second to last play 35- 31.  Roll Tigersssssssss.

not only did clint eastwood **** the great Meryl Streep but so did i on "The bridges of madison county". she had an affair. that awful woman. women across america cheated on their HUSBANDS b/c of it.  + _ =

* Edited at 01.10.2017, 6:22 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 7 months, 4 days, 23 hours, and 10 minutes from now.
Kuma
Kuma
  • Predictions:  40,025  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,845
  • Post Score: 210

01.15.2017 | 4:37 AM ET

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

01.15.2017 | 8:16 AM ET

Another clueless celebrity.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

SonnensSyringe
SonnensSyringe
  • Predictions:  79,138  |  62.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,881
  • Post Score: 337

01.15.2017 | 10:39 PM ET

Looks like I'm a few days late on this. Oh well. 

StealingFire, I absolutely agree. However, in this instance, her statement regarding mma has virtually nothing to do with the overarching message. But I know I'm not going to get any support here. This is an mma forum after all. 

However, the anti-Trump rhetoric is warranted. He has done virtually nothing to instill an overall belief in his ability to lead this country responsibly and effectively. 

And every person who believes we're too thin-skinned as a nation, I agree one hundred percent. So maybe our next president should be someone who can take a little criticism, especially when it is undeniably valid. Just read the man's Twitter. That is not behavior befitting a world leader.

* Edited at 01.15.2017, 10:41 PM ET *

"You look like a 1987 John Hughes high school bully." - Swickotine

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

01.15.2017 | 11:30 PM ET

@sonnen

I see where you are coming from, but the thing is Trump won because he wasn't some polished turd of a politician.  Yes his short fuse is a concern, but to say that is the biggest issue he has as a leader is absurd.  In fact, it was Trump's use of social media to air his grievances that made the Dems look foolish, as it was his greatest strength.  He used social media to his advantage in the election to keep himself relevant and in touch with what people who were considering about voting for him wanted to hear; as well as keeping the people engaged.  And what they wanted to hear was someone who would be a fighter against issues like TPP and such.  Which is what he addressed and Clinton didn't.

Meanwhile, Hillary ran a platform of cliches and platitudes saying "Stronger Together, Let's Break Down The Barriers" and proclaiming that the status quo is good when it is not for a lot of people in this country.  And that is what the elites in Hollywood don't get.  They can't relate to some person in Missouri who lost their factory job to a Chinese firm and is unsure how they will be able to provide for the family.  They are too far removed from the realities of the world.  That reality being that focusing on language and tone policing will get you nowhere when there are more prevalent issues needing to be addressed; like the fact that our infrastructure is a grade of D and we can't clean water in certain parts of the country.

Granted, there were many things Trump said that were non presidential (ex. him saying that we need to "target the families" of terrorists, as well as that he said "he would have taken the oil" during the Iraq War) that would have cost him the election, had the Dems addressed it.  But because the Dems decided to be like the Republicans of the 90s and focus on the fact that he said "naughty language" like a bunch of fools rather than the actually relevant things to focus on, on top of the fact that they (especially Clinton) proceeded to snub the Democratic base by running to the center and picking neo-liberal shills like John Podesta and Tim Kaine, they not only drove away the working class but the independent Bernie voters who were necessary for Clinton to win.

So for a person like Meryl Streep to be SO inept and continue to double down and do the same things that detracted people from voting Democrat in the election, it shows how clueless the establishment of the Democrats and their surrogates are. 

* Edited at 01.15.2017, 11:31 PM ET *

"..."

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

01.15.2017 | 11:38 PM ET

@Sonnen, 

"However, the anti-Trump rhetoric is warranted. He has done virtually nothing to instill an overall belief in his ability to lead this country responsibly and effectively."

I fundamentally disagree with this statement. You always have to give someone a chance to govern before you judge them on anything political. I'm getting really tired of people saying Trump is literally Hitler when the conservatives were doing the same thing with Obama, don't be sucked into that game. There are things he said that resonate with people, even center-left people like me. So if you are an American, you have a duty to give your democratically elected leaders at least a chance.

"And every person who believes we're too thin-skinned as a nation, I agree 100% So maybe our next president should be someone who can take a little criticism, especially when it is undeniably valid. Just read the man's Twitter. That is not behavior befitting a world leader."

On the other hand he is a massive symbol against political correctness, it was one of his talking points. He may need thicker skin himself but those who seriously think Trump is gonna stop the press or censor anything is goddamn kidding themselves. It's why I told BigJ to grow a ****, he's being the kind of liberal extreme that got Trump elected.

* Edited at 01.15.2017, 11:39 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 4 days, 21 hours, and 40 minutes from now.
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

01.16.2017 | 12:20 AM ET

People finally woke up on the Democrats in regards to the working class. That list it for them right there. That list them the blue collar vote in the few states they took for granted. 
Hilary would have been the same as Obama as she was at the mercy of her handlers.
 Money in politics will do that.

* Edited at 01.16.2017, 12:21 AM ET *

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

01.16.2017 | 12:08 PM ET

@mikeyg you call Trump a symbol against political correctness but the guy needs a safespace to do anything he gets triggered by even the slightest criticism and whines more than any "SJW." As for the press he already does everything he can to undermine faith in the media constantly claiming factual statements are false and politically motivated. Calling legit news sources fake news while turning around siting fake news sources as the proof of that. He is trying to turn matter of fact into matter of opinion. Now he has spent the last few weeks undermining confidence in the CIA and other US intelligence communities. He is trying to blur the lines between fact an opinion so much so people no longer know the difference. That is how politicians control the masses to get people to believe them over their own eyes and own convictions and people are already lining up behind Ttump like good little Sheep swearing up and down he never said things or did things that are ******* on tape and verifiable.

Also how was I being liberal extreme?

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

01.16.2017 | 12:53 PM ET

@bigj

Well the fact that you trust the professional liars at the CIA is sad.  They have lied and manipulated so many times to the point that they don't deserve to be trusted.  From all the democratic governments they overthrew in the 50s and 60s like Iran, Brazil, Chile and Guatemala just to put in puppet governments that would appease US corporations to their **** report on Iraq that caused us to wage an offensive war against a nation who did nothing to us.

Also, the media hurt themselves with their constant lying by omission tactics.  They are the ones who created the distrust between them and the public when they decided to pull the same tactics of FOX News.  I have no sympathy for the corporate sycophants at the mainstream media.  Networks like CNN and MSNBC have no one to blame the distrust the populace at large has for them but themselves.  Plus, the mainstream media hurt themselves when they started parroting the term "fake news" from the Clinton camp as a broad term to describe alternative media as a whole, despite the fact that it was the alternative media site Wikileaks that proved she and the DNC committed election fraud against Bernie Sanders.  Meanwhile, they, along with Buzzfeed (the cancerous ******* of the internet), ran with a fake intelligence report that said Trump hated Obama SO much he had hookers piss on the bed in the presidential suite that Obama would stay at AND ACTUALLY GAVE IT SOME CREDIBILITY.  So I say, **** them.

"..."

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

01.16.2017 | 1:34 PM ET

* Edited at 01.16.2017, 6:11 PM ET *

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

01.16.2017 | 1:36 PM ET

But if A.i comes in like terminator no matter what anyone does everything is completely ****** of that happens ... so go buck wild before Arnold Scharwzenegger comes gunning for us with his minions ( don't let them tale you alive !! Unless you wanna be a human guinea pig popsicle !)

* Edited at 01.16.2017, 1:43 PM ET *

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

01.16.2017 | 1:58 PM ET

qh

Sorry for rant I'm a good citizen and tax payer just saying if possible forget about all external stimulai (long list) and focus on you and families / tribe / whatever future, directly in a simple effevteffective way, try to go rural 》more north the better near nature make a well for water ( professionally if possible ) grow crops / wild grow gathering  and try to locate fishing spot / some deer hunting and all the means to do that - near a mountain usually - good to live  under / in ground -   live as self sufficient as possible ( easy to say hard to do of course especially starting, ) and no matter what happens 'politically or what ever you'll have a means to get by and live on adequately ... a staggering fact - need to look it up yourself - I read somewhere before, in early 1900's America (Ireland /UK as well basically etc ) , 90-95% of the population was self sufficient in terms of food source ( crops hunting etc) and just getting by etc,  now, 10% or less of that population is self sufficient in these ways - which is kind of bad ... So if we in the west ( and where ever ) could raise that % back up a bit it would probably be very  positive in the long run for future generations and even the here and now , etc  add 1 + 1 yourself 

* Edited at 01.16.2017, 7:08 PM ET *

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

01.16.2017 | 2:02 PM ET

* Edited at 01.16.2017, 6:10 PM ET *

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

01.16.2017 | 3:21 PM ET

take inspiration from here↓(minus the poor hellots part:(

* Edited at 01.16.2017, 3:22 PM ET *

Blood eagle
Blood eagle
  • Predictions:  7  |  42.9%
  • Forum Posts:  2
  • Post Score: 200

01.16.2017 | 5:12 PM ET

She's trash 
SonnensSyringe
SonnensSyringe

01.17.2017 | 12:47 AM ET

"You always have to give someone a chance to govern before you judge them on anything political."

mikeyg, We'll agree to disagree then. It's his job to convince me, not the other way around. First impressions matter, and to a lot of people, he has made a series of poor ones.

GreenHornet, I am not disagreeing with how Trump won, or that Hillary's campaign was horrendous. Both arguments are incredibly sound. My whole problem with all of this is that political discourse has basically boiled down to a few meager lay-points. It's either "I don't trust him/her and/or the status quo" or "the opposing party and their candidates are insane for being on the other end of the spectrum."

I don't want to continue this argument on what I truly hope can remain a politically secular forum. I realize I am at fault for perpetuating as well, but I think it's best that we acknowledge our differences and move along from there. For what it's worth, I think both of you are correct on most of your points.

Before I stop though, one last rant...

I don't even care about the electoral college. But the system as we know it fosters a cloud mentality. You're not really voting for an individual. You're voting for an ideology. No matter what guise anyone campaigns under. Do I believe that Trump is going to do most of the things he said prior to election night? Of course not. But you best believe he will (for the most part) keep in line with what his constituents wanted all along.

The two party system is not fundamentally bad. But it's incredibly exploitable, and that's what George Washington warned us about over 200 years ago. Since the administration of LBJ, party polarization has become worse with every passing decade. 

The one hope I've seen for the future is actually what happened to the Republican Party these past two years. It has definitely fractured as their candidate did not fall in line with traditional party values. To what extent will this remain? We may not know for a few years.

You know what? The same can be said about the Democratic Party as well. Hillary Clinton was in the exact opposite situation. She was a candidate that fell in line with what the party elites wanted. Yet, it is quite clear from the results of the election, and even those of the primary, that her support was severely fractured. It's because even the "rah rah Dems" have had enough of the same canned substance churned out by the DNC every four years. 

Maybe 2016 was a turning point. Maybe it was not. But for now, it provides an interesting scenario for the next election cycle. 

* Edited at 01.17.2017, 12:48 AM ET *

mikeyg
mikeyg

01.17.2017 | 1:05 AM ET

@BigJ,

"you call Trump a symbol against political correctness but the guy needs a safespace to do anything he gets triggered by even the slightest criticism and whines more than any "SJW."

Nobody's defending his attitude, at least Hornet and I aren't. But I can still find positives for him in one direction while condemning him in other ways. Like that he does stand for Anti-PC values while I don't like him being thin-skinned. That doesn't negate what he's said, at worst it would make him a hypocrite, which I would agree at that point.

"As for the press he already does everything he can to undermine faith in the media constantly claiming factual statements are false and politically motivated."

Without actually hearing any examples I can't comment on your conjecture.

"Calling legit news sources fake news while turning around siting fake news sources as the proof of that."

CNN is not legit news, very little about news networks are legit news sources or credible journalism.

"He is trying to turn matter of fact into matter of opinion."

Again, need examples.

"Now he has spent the last few weeks undermining confidence in the CIA and other US intelligence communities."

More open statements without examples. What? Am I supposed to be in on this and agree with you without you first giving full scope and context to the situation you're describing?

"He is trying to blur the lines between fact an opinion"

You just described mainstream news and media, oh and anyone bringing you news, there's always a hint of bias.

"so much so people no longer know the difference."

Hardly Trump's fault or Republicans, both sides do this blurring of lines maneuver. This is one reason why you get called an extreme liberal because you're blind to the other side doing the same ********.

"That is how politicians control the masses to get people to believe them over their own eyes and own convictions and people are already lining up behind Trump like good little Sheep swearing up and down he never said things or did things that are ******* on tape and verifiable."

Then where would your outrage be if any other president was elected? Or just for Trump? Hillary was just as **** and even worse in some areas, while better in others. This was puke milkshake vs turd sandwich, but to deny that a Trump win is a win for Anti-PC culture is outlandish. Just look at the democrats, they are still in denial that Trump will be president and SJW's still weep salty tears. They're still calling him Hitler when he hasn't even governed for a day.

"Also how was I being liberal extreme?"

Because you play the role of a biased liberal with no perspective of the flaws on your views. Kind of like how an extreme conservative would do the same thing but with the rhetoric reversed.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 4 days, 21 hours, and 40 minutes from now.
mikeyg
mikeyg

01.17.2017 | 1:09 AM ET

@Sonnen,

Fine, but you run the line of looking like a hypocrite if you say it's ok to condemn Trump without leading for one day, but it's not okay for those who did that to Obama. It's hypocritical, no?
SonnensSyringe
SonnensSyringe

01.17.2017 | 1:20 AM ET

mikeyg, if I have ever said that in the past, I apologize. I do not recall making that kind of statement in this conversation though. First impressions matter, and yet preconceived notions can be wrong too.

I am not saying that what I'm doing is right either. It's my prerogative, just as it was the prerogative of every individual that did so to Obama back in 2008-09.

I know I may sometimes come off as a liberal democrat, but I want to be firm and clear that I consider myself relatively close to the center; with a slight lean to the left. As soon as I move to an open primary state, I'm registering independent. I mention this only because I felt positive about Obama, but by no means have I loved his presidency. And I detested Clinton as a candidate. 

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

01.17.2017 | 8:02 AM ET

Political arguments are often fun to read.

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Buckley Lands UFC St. Louis Co-Main Vs. Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 91 Odds, Under Dogs And Best Bets!
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Just continue being the best’: Crawford looks forward to upcoming title fight with Madrimov
  • MMA Mania : Doumbe Gets New Opponent For Bellator Paris
  • MMA Junkie : Terence Crawford vs. Israil Madrimov official; Isaac Cruz, Andy Ruiz Jr. on undercard
  • Middle Easy : Chris Weidman Compares Alex Pereira’s Wrestling To Ben Askren’s Striking: ‘Such A Deficiency’
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Would Step In The Fire With Pereira And He Knows That’
  • MMA Junkie : Matheus Nicolau done with Manel Kape bookings, focused on title shot after UFC on ESPN 55 headliner
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight card: Perry vs. Alves
  • Middle Easy : ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone Tears Bicep ‘Off the Bone’ While Preparing to Ride Dana White’s Prized Bull
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Spann claims he hasn't watched tape on Bogdan Guskov ahead of UFC on ESPN 55 co-main bout
  • MMA Mania : Keep $300K Bonuses! ‘It Can’t Go Back’
  • MMAFighting.com : Joaquin Buckley vs. Nursulton Ruziboev announced for UFC St. Louis co-headliner
  • MMA Junkie : Joaquin Buckley gets UFC on ESPN 56 co-main assignment vs. Nursulton Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : Pereira = ... Askren? ‘It’s Weird To See’
  • MMAFighting.com : Cain Velasquez attempted murder trial set to begin in September
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo confirms UFC 301 final fight on contract, hints at boxing match at Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Run it back, give fans a fair fight’: Devin Haney on Ryan Garcia loss
  • UFC.com : Alexandre Pantoja | TUF Beginnings
  • MMA Junkie : Former UFC champion Cain Velasquez gets trial date in attempted murder case