Topic: UFC Discussion

When do you think the next big UFC event will be?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,478  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

01.08.2017 | 10:39 AM ET

I do not see any planned. From ufc 198 to 207, almost every PPV event was at least good on paper. I do not see that so far. I know that they are only planned into March but it seems that this year they don't have as much to work with.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

Responses

mbach4307
mbach4307
  • Predictions:  934  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  887
  • Post Score: 137

01.08.2017 | 11:52 AM ET

"Where are my shoes?"

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

01.08.2017 | 9:19 PM ET

Depends how you define "Big."

Khabib vs. Ferguson and Woodley vs. Wonderboy 2 would be great ... but what does that do on PPV. None have proven to be PPV draws. I'd estimate between 250 and 350k buys. Hardly a big show. Not a terrible one. 

Next big show will be when this dumb stand-off between WME and McGregor ends. I'd guess March, April or May.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

unbeknownst
unbeknownst
  • Predictions:  5,020  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,679
  • Post Score: 208

01.09.2017 | 12:27 AM ET

2016 was undoubtedly the greatest year for the UFC. Each PPV card seemed amazing. The first card of the year, UFC 195, had perhaps the fight of the year on it; and it just seemed to build from there. Ending obviously with the drama and intrigue of UFC 207.

As for 2017, I think we're going to have to pay the piper. All those title fights stacked at the end of the year has left a drought for the first quarter of the year.

I think if the UFC can go back to Cleveland in June that would be a huge PPV event if Stipe and Garbrandt both co-headlined in their home state. I think that could possibly repeat the buy rate of UFC 203, which was about 450k, even without CM Punk this time.

Conor is probably going to return on the July 4th weekend card. It won't be against Khabib because of ramadan, but maybe Conor fights Nate again or the welterweight champion, or even perhaps Tony Ferguson if he somehow wins at UFC 209.        

Cyborg and Rousey are probably not going to fight this year. Jones probably won't get booked for a fight until September at the earliest. Conor is probably out for a half of year. Who knows what's happening with the Diaz brothers. Most of the champions have said recently that they want to take time off. I think WME-IMG is going to get desperate and finally open the purse strings and give GSP the deal he's looking for to return. Perhaps the independence day card will be GSP vs. McGegor.

"I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture, and kill them."

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,478  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

01.09.2017 | 6:59 AM ET

Oh, i forgot about Ramadan in July. Conor can hide behind that and fight then.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

mbach4307
mbach4307
  • Predictions:  934  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  887
  • Post Score: 137

01.09.2017 | 9:02 AM ET

@skeliher

I understand they won't be big "events". But they will be great fight cards. I always love mcgregor'S ppvs because there is that buzz all week, but I think 209 will be outstanding. I watched both 206 & 207, and I definitely enjoyed 206 more. Of course friends of mine had no idea 206 happened, but they had to see 207. Which is crazy to me. 

"Where are my shoes?"

SevenLakerSeth
SevenLakerSeth
  • Predictions:  4,728  |  65.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,191
  • Post Score: 144

01.09.2017 | 1:52 PM ET

This Rodriquez/Penn card is almost completely a formality. 
OutlawJoseyWales
OutlawJoseyWales
  • Predictions:  10,186  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,392
  • Post Score: -147

01.10.2017 | 6:25 PM ET

when Meryl Streep fights amanda nunes mother in brazil with donald trump cageside
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 7 months, 1 week, 3 days, 11 hours, and 19 minutes from now.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : UFC 303 ticket prices: Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler could break promotion's gate record
  • Middle Easy : Max Holloway Snaps Back at Ilia Topuria Over BMF Title Demands: ‘That’s Kind of Un-BMF’
  • MMAFighting.com : Brendan Loughnane details ‘intense’ training sessions with Conor McGregor ahead of PFL return
  • MMA Mania : UFC Trumps Boxing, Named MVP Of Combat Sports
  • Middle Easy : Chris Weidman Weighs in on Herb Dean Controversy at UFC 300, Would ‘Love’ His Next Fight to Be Against Sean Strickland
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 302's Sean Strickland on Paulo Costa: 'I'm going to make that dirty Brazilian bleed'
  • Bad Left Hook : Morrell moves to 175, Berlanga named WBA mandatory challenger for Canelo
  • Bad Left Hook : David Morrell Jr moves to 175, Edgar Berlanga named WBA mandatory challenger for Canelo Alvarez
  • MMAFighting.com : Logan Paul responds to Ronda Rousey criticism: ‘I don’t think she’s a hater’
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I see it being an early night’: Haney doesn’t expect Garcia to last the distance
  • MMA Junkie : Jorge Masvidal proud to see fans bring Miami heat on Nate Diaz: 'He definitely felt it'
  • Middle Easy : Frustrated Ketlen Vieira Believes She is More ‘Deserving’ of a UFC Title Fight Than Kayla Harrison
  • MMA Mania : Chandler Reveals Plans For McGregor’s ‘Hurt Leg’
  • MMAFighting.com : Missed Fists: Fighter eats head kick after failing to exploit grounded fighter rule
  • MMA Junkie : Kyoji Horiguchi, Sergio Pettis to rematch at Rizin 47 in June
  • MMAFighting.com : Sergio Pettis vs. Kyoji Horiguchi 2 announced for RIZIN 47 in June
  • MMAFighting.com : Gegard Mousasi lashes out at PFL over lack of communication, refusal to book him since buying Bellator
  • MMA Junkie : PFL heads to Mohegan Sun, Salt Lake City, Sioux Falls for second half of 2024 regular season
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Eventually he burns out’: Wilder only expects a strong first half from Zhang
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Eventually he burns out’: Deontay Wilder only expects a strong first half from Zhilei Zhang