Topic: Frank Mir

Mir: Wants To Test Himself Against Overeem.

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

BodyModifier
BodyModifier
  • Predictions:  21  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,608
  • Post Score: 152

08.29.2011 | 7:29 PM ET

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Frank Mir

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Francisco Santos Mir III
  • Pro MMA Record: 19-13-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: N/A
  • Current Streak: 1 Win
  • Last Fight: October 25, 2019 in BFC
  • Weight Class: Heavyweight | Last Weigh-In: 265.8 lbs
  • Affiliation: Jackson Wink MMA
  • Height: 6'3" (190cm) | Reach: 75.0" (191cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $2,414,000 USD
  • Born: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
  • Fighting out of: Las Vegas, Nevada
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses Page 2

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

08.29.2011 | 11:18 PM ET

Exactly Ronin. I think Overeem would love to fight Mir. It would be a welcoming win for his first fight. I'm not counting out Mir. But once someone's aggressive with him sometimes he crumbles. He is like everyone said in this thread. Inconsistent. I don't know why but he could do a whole lot better if he didn't crumble when he's losing. It's like he knows he has so much potential but doesn't showcase it all the time. It's so on and off.
I like Mir and I like Overeem. But I'd have to logically say Alistair wins this. 

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

X5452
X5452
  • Predictions:  302  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  46
  • Post Score: 100

08.29.2011 | 11:22 PM ET

If this fight happens and Mir comes in as a decent dog, I'd definitely put a little bit of money on him.
GRIZZLY
GRIZZLY
  • Predictions:  545  |  63.7%
  • Forum Posts:  56
  • Post Score: 164

08.30.2011 | 12:01 AM ET

Mir or Carwin is a perfect first fight for Overeem. The UFC probably wants to build up a Lesnar vs Overeem superfight for the #1 contender. 

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." T. Roosevelt

jsebag
jsebag
  • Predictions:  670  |  64.0%
  • Forum Posts:  151
  • Post Score: 42

08.30.2011 | 12:20 AM ET

I agree that this is a good bet if Mir comes in as an underdog X5452.  It would be a big test for the Overeem if it hits the ground.  Mir's striking can cause issues for Overeem as it can certainly set-up the take-down.  Obviously if the fight stays on the feet Mir will have some problems.  I would love to know the strength difference between Overeem vs Lesnar and/or Carwin.  Mir has struggled against fighters that overpower him so it would be very interesting to say the least.

"To be the man you have to beat the man"

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

08.30.2011 | 5:31 AM ET

I know I will get hate for this but I think Mir could hang with Overeem on the feet.. I think he could do exactly what he did to Cro Cop except in more impressive fashion.. Mir by tko 2nd round.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

08.30.2011 | 5:51 AM ET

Mirko is not the same he use to be. He's aggressive but not smart when he fights. He comes straight forward. He doesn't set up his kicks anymore and his chin gets hit and he's on the canvas. He's been in far too many wars. There's no way the fight would end up Mir and Alistair walking around and feeling each other out for rounds at a time until a magical flying knee hits Alistair's chin.
Alistair has superior striking and as people may claim. It's not easily fluid when it transfers to mma striking(His K-1 experience). They base this off the Werdum fight. Yet Alistair was petrified to let the fight go to the ground. He was worried about Werdum taking him down so he wasn't able to let his strikes go. He would do just enough to win that fight on the feet.
I believe Overeem is stronger than the two and his grappling is very under rated. He's not a slouch and I can't see Mir taking him down. He had troubles taking down Mirko, and I think Alistair is stronger than Mirko Cro Cop. So this fight would stay standing. Where Overeem has enough precision in his striking to overwhelm Mir. 
Mir tends to slack off when he's getting dominated and he gets flustered in the Octagon. He takes a long time to register submissions and his strikes come ever so often. Alistair would pick him apart. Unless Mir can flip the switch on when they are standing he'll be getting picked apart on the outside. While Mir tries to find his rhythm which took him how many rounds with Mirko?
Roy isn't a perfect example because Roy just basically takes beatings. 
I'd say Overeem decision. I don't think he'd want to lose and engage too much in case of Mir's power. 
All in all it'd be a good fight.

* Edited at 08.30.2011, 5:53 AM ET *

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794

08.30.2011 | 6:04 AM ET

@body.. He would be just as worried with Mir getting him to the ground and Mir has much better striking than Werdum which equals a Mir win.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

08.30.2011 | 6:08 AM ET

No matter if his striking is better he won't out strike a K-1 Champion imo. I also don't think Mir will be able to take him to the ground if he wanted too. He doesn't have phenomenal wrestling at all. He's comfortable off his back where Reem won't want to be.
Overeem decision. 

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794

08.30.2011 | 6:10 AM ET

Werdum practically outstruck him for godsake.. Mir will do the same Im sorry.. And I may seem like a reem hater but hes in my top 30 favourite fighters... I just dont think he can beat the top 5 in the ufc.

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

08.30.2011 | 6:15 AM ET

He'd make a huge dent in the division that's why every fighter is wanting to welcome him. If you read my earlier post. Werdum out struck Overeem because he was worried about it going to the ground. When you're worried about getting taken down your striking has to be adjusted in case you have to sprawl. Overeem was terrified to let that happen. So he did just enough to squeeze a win. When he did land he landed hard...
Mir he won't have to worry. He can let loose and show case his K-1 striking against an inconsistent Mir. All Overeem has to do is bring the fight to Mir and he'll eventually break down. Overeem has to be the aggressor.

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794

08.30.2011 | 6:19 AM ET

Why would he not have to worry about that with Mir? Mir has the best jiu jitsu in the heavyweight division .. Mir wont let Overeem be the aggressor.. v Mir's weakness is huge wrestlers and Overeem is not that ... Mir will have the right gameplan and might even show off his improved wrestling and do a few trips against the cage.. Mir will win this I guarantee it.

HavokDM
HavokDM
  • Predictions:  9,733  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,047
  • Post Score: 199

08.30.2011 | 9:54 AM ET

It's true that Mir's wrestling sucks, but he's got some surprising take-downs from the clinch.  See Mir vs Nelson.  Mir doesn't have the striking pedigree of Overeem, but he's on a higher level than Werdum and I see him continually improving.  The only problem I have with Mir, is sometimes his game-plans truly suck. If he comes out arrogant enough to think that he can stand for 3 rounds with Overeem, he's going to be in for a rough night. If he plays it smart though, he's got more ways to win.  I'm picking Mir Sub Rd 2.

"Nothing in this world is a gift. Whatever must be learned must be learned the hard way."

RWLawman
RWLawman
  • Predictions:  2,583  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,053
  • Post Score: 173

08.30.2011 | 10:30 AM ET

I don't know how I'd call this one.  I like Mir, but as it's already been noted, he's too inconsistent as of late.  His jiu-jitsu is by far the best in the heavyweight division, without a doubt.  However, he's not as quick and agile as he used to be, ever since that motorcycle accident.  Also, his conditioning is very suspect when he stands and trades for extended periods of time.  I also think that his chin is pretty weak, and he has a tendency to get bullied by bigger, stronger opponents. 

On the other hand, Overeem would be concerned about the threat of the fight going to the ground.  As already stated, that severely cripples a striker's abilities, because he is afraid to commit to his shots.  The perfect time for a fighter to attempt a take down is when his opponent is moving toward him with strikes, because all you have to do is change levels and shoot.  Overeem will be worried about that, regardless of whether Mir has great take downs or not.  You don't get this far in mixed martial arts without at least a working knowledge of several take downs. 

If this fight goes to the mat, Mir wins it by submission.  If this fight stays standing, Mir loses by TKO.  This fight will not go to a decision.

" "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran "

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

08.30.2011 | 11:15 AM ET

I think it's a great test for both fighters. Mir is prone to folding once he takes a power shot, which Overeem can certainly give him. But Mir has shown great gameplans in his last few fights and even though he may not be the most exciting as of late, he's looking better and better and his wrestling is improving. I think Mir could hold Overeem against the cage and wear him down to negate his powerful striking. Which would eventually lead to a TD or two. I don't think he submits him, but Mir has showed some pretty decent GnP against Nelson. I'd take Mir by decision or a late 3rd round TKO.
Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

08.30.2011 | 2:58 PM ET

I'm not too sure Mir could control Overeem and getting in the clinch with him would not be the brightest of ideas.  Frank would need to engage, get a quick trip or get out. 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

DelRose
DelRose

08.30.2011 | 3:05 PM ET

This is going to be a VERY easy match up for frank mir, overeem couldn't even finish werdum, in fact, I'd say werdum kicked reems ass. Overeem isn't going to last in the UFC

"That hole is tighter than a nuns nasty"

Kalibo
Kalibo

08.30.2011 | 3:11 PM ET

Hmm... I don't see this at all being "easy" for Frank.  Werdum laid on his back and begged Overeem to come in. 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

DelRose
DelRose

08.30.2011 | 3:16 PM ET

Frank mir = better all around fighter than werdum.

DelRose
DelRose

08.30.2011 | 3:17 PM ET

This fight is going to be similar to his fight against cheick kongo, hell, I wouldn't be surprised if overeem tapped out to strikes on this one.

Kalibo
Kalibo

08.30.2011 | 4:29 PM ET

Overeem is a much different fighter at HW than at LHW.  I feel like you are judging him on his past experience at that weight class.

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone Tears Bicep ‘Off the Bone’ While Preparing to Ride Dana White’s Prized Bull
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Spann claims he hasn't watched tape on Bogdan Guskov ahead of UFC on ESPN 55 co-main bout
  • MMAFighting.com : Joaquin Buckley vs. Nursulton Ruziboev announced for UFC St. Louis co-headliner
  • MMA Junkie : Joaquin Buckley gets UFC on ESPN 56 co-main assignment vs. Nursulton Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : Pereira = ... Askren? ‘It’s Weird To See’
  • MMAFighting.com : Cain Velasquez attempted murder trial set to begin in September
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo confirms UFC 301 final fight on contract, hints at boxing match at Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Run it back, give fans a fair fight’: Devin Haney on Ryan Garcia loss
  • UFC.com : Alexandre Pantoja | TUF Beginnings
  • MMA Junkie : Former UFC champion Cain Velasquez gets trial date in attempted murder case
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Love Dana White. There’s No Issues’
  • MMAFighting.com : TKO CEO Ari Emanuel earned nearly $65 million in compensation in 2023, including $20 million bonus from UFC
  • Middle Easy : Marlon Vera Calls Out Ex-UFC Champion for Bantamweight Title Eliminator at MSG in November
  • MMA Junkie : Alex Perez not surprised Steve Erceg got UFC title shot, despite Muhammad Mokaev's 'tougher resume'
  • Jits Magazine : PGF World Season 6: Best Of Day 2
  • MMA Junkie : Video: 'UFC on ESPN 55: Nicolau vs. Perez' media day interviews
  • UFC.com : Best UFC Fights To Happen In Rio de Janeiro | UFC Fight Pass
  • MMA Junkie : UFC champion Islam Makhachev not excited by potential Max Holloway matchup – not yet, at least
  • MMA Mania : Full PFL Uncasville Fight Card Revealed!
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 303: McGregor vs. Chandler official with 7 fights booked so far