Tapology Forums

Could Khabibs faith bring strong implications in a USA market?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

StreamFan68
StreamFan68
  • Predictions:  1,730  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  193
  • Post Score: -66

11.22.2016 | 10:31 AM ET

Question I believe is warrented considering the times we live in. I try and envision a fighter bringing at least %30 drawing power ringside to events... hopefully... Then I look at the Conor/Khabib matchup...then I factor in the social tug of war going on  along with the fact UFC has done a magnificent job so far in not engaging in any political or religous debate through its productions.. But could this last? Could this actually force people like Dana to actually reveal themselves in such a light? What would a crowd of %70 Irish catholics look like with say %10 even faithful Muslim fans in an arena once the drunk "chatter" were to begin? Hate to say it but its something I truly think they have considered for awhile now with basic sensitivitys here in the US.... so what do you guys think?

"“And tell Dana I said get off Conor’s nuts”....(Nate Diaz) "

Responses

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

11.22.2016 | 12:39 PM ET

The question you're asking is one that is way too large to be answered in a simple forum post. I'll try my best to give a concise answer that touches the heart of your question in the way I understand it. 

Muslims shouldn't be scared of insults, it's just a natural consequence of society. I can't speak for others so I'll speak for myself and say that while I would fear for my safety, I would go anyway because my values (which are a product of both my faith and life experience) are stronger than any emotional or physical harm that can be done to me.

I'm a Muslim by choice, and I choose to accept the good with the bad. I hope that people wouldn't attack me for my faith, but I can't control the decisions of others; I can only control my own. People should have the right and freedom to say and do whatever they want, but that freedom should never infringe on the freedom of others.

Also, the only thing the UFC should be concerned with is the bad press from the inevitable riot that would occur after watching Khabib destroy their little **** boy.

* Edited at 11.22.2016, 12:41 PM ET *

"الله أكبرl"

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

11.22.2016 | 1:07 PM ET

UFC will not have it go to a political or religious debate.  They are just afraid that Conor will get massacred.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

11.22.2016 | 9:09 PM ET

@Anik how can you say that when your profile pic represents sin ( some gangstas showing off their alcohol ( destroys lives etc not something to "play with" .. why your relig bans it ? Rightfully ha) and their swag .. gettin ho's ( someone's daughter, future wife etc) a profile pic can say a lot about a person no ? "A picture can tell a thousand words" .. ( and don't call mcgregor anything .. I would guess your maybe like Jon Jones ? Bible quote on chest, "I am religious", cheats on wife etc, party's, with not good people, Sorry for angry your longer member than me really sorry but come on man we all know the deal you can drop that act I know many Muslims from Ireland to parts in UK they chase girls and get wacked on drugs ( and more .. presses my buttons sorry 

* Edited at 11.22.2016, 11:00 PM ET *

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

AlexSpanBjj
AlexSpanBjj
  • Predictions:  1,328  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  215
  • Post Score: 79

11.23.2016 | 4:50 AM ET

Well this escalated quiclky. You guys are not even talking about the original topic/question.

@Anik "Muslims shouldn't be scared of insults, it's just a natural consequence of society" ***

@WastelandWanderer "I know many Muslims from Ireland to parts in UK they chase girls and get wacked on drugs" *** are those stereotypes you are throwing.

@StreamFan68 I am not sure the UFC really considers this issue. As you say it well "UFC has done a magnificent job so far in not engaging in any political or religous debate through its productions". Even on the social media, i never saw any comment related to religion in all the topics about Conor and Khabib potential fight so i don't think the UFC have to worry about that. I am not sure of what you are expecting? A big brawl in the arena between christians and muslims? 

In my opinion UFC is just searching for some money fight + Conor is having a baby so it's normal to let him rest a bit (he fought 3 times in 10 months it's a good ratio no?). I have no problem with the fact he's not fighting for the moment. They can go for shot between fergusson and Khabib and the winner win a title shot.

In the FW division, i see no one for the moment who will be able to deal with Conor (even if Aldo deserves a rematch).

A rematch with Nate sounds good for the fans and for the money tho

* Edited at 11.23.2016, 5:02 AM ET *

StreamFan68
StreamFan68

11.23.2016 | 1:31 PM ET

@AlexSpanBjj

I think this is kind of point..in the question... see how fast it does escalate....back to my original question... I think its quite clear that it does have merit.. I think its something they in fact probably do concern themselves with..I mean if it pops off in a Forum..imagine a bunch of drinking fans ? Its just a sensiotive topic I realize that...but I do think it may be reflective of how much they have tentatively tried pushing Khabib... and in response... I am not refferring to the things "we see".,... but rather the things we do not.... know what I mean?

* Edited at 11.23.2016, 1:33 PM ET *

unbeknownst
unbeknownst
  • Predictions:  5,020  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,679
  • Post Score: 208

11.23.2016 | 1:38 PM ET

From the sound of it, the UFC are trying to expand their presence in Russia. If they can do that I don't think they're worried about Conor losing, as long as the money comes from somewhere. It all spends the same.

"I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture, and kill them."

StreamFan68
StreamFan68

11.23.2016 | 1:55 PM ET

@unbeknownst

Right? I do too...and I will say this...them kids from Dhagistan are truly some of the best up n comers... I think given a few years that kid Kevin Lee beat is going to have more all around fight game and probably better than Khabib... and theres many many more behind him.. Not talking these tall "Kovolov" dudes like we saw in Belfast... those guys are just lame..I am talking these smaller wrestlers who are equally developing a great set of skills standing.. There the future I do believe... Nobody really compares to there "progress" matched in with there "backgrounds" on the World stage for sure...  

Many of these guys are also Muslim. so its going to get very interesting...

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

11.23.2016 | 6:07 PM ET

Khabib will be the first Russian champ if they give him the chance.

OutlawJoseyWales
OutlawJoseyWales
  • Predictions:  10,186  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,392
  • Post Score: -147

11.23.2016 | 7:39 PM ET

The UFC is still mad fedor never fought in the ufc. They are taking it out on Khabib.

@ Anik. There are close to 3000 muslims in Anchorage Alaska. There are no problems up here. Most people don't realize how diverse Anchorage is.  There are the Native people who are all over the state. There are Russian Orthodox places of worship all over the Kenai Peninsula too. Where i live there is literally no crime. Everyone has guns galore. Even Law enforcement does not care if we shot dead (still standing)trees, boom boxes, wine bottles etc, etc down here. There is more freedom here then anywhere i have been.

* Edited at 11.23.2016, 7:56 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 7 months, 4 days, 13 hours, and 18 minutes from now.
StreamFan68
StreamFan68

11.23.2016 | 10:16 PM ET

@OutlawJoseyWales

I think that is a testement to people of Alaska but I am not sure how that corilates with this topic really... Partly because where you have fights your gonna have drinking.. and just the overall social issue of acceptance.. I am not saying Khabib is gonna be doing any Death To AMerica stunts...far from it , hes an extremely classy guy... But like lets consider that really I do believe he has a shortened fight season right? Due to his faith, isnt there a 3 month cycle where he isnt suppose to participate? I could be wrong...But lets say he wins championship..of course he will begin to impose some aspects of his beliefs...all fighters do it.. But most fans have similar beliefs realistically ... I just think that it could get volatile... but again.. They have managed so far to be control oustide forces in the past... I am hoping they continue... I really fear that as far as the fight game is concerned, that AMerican folowers are not or refuse to be accepting of it on a grand scale... I thought I heard the crowd start giving him louder responses at times this last time in the match afterwards..and when he said "Allu Akhbar"..they seemed to get even louder... That is sorta what brought me to asking this question from the start!!..

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

11.24.2016 | 12:30 AM ET

@AlexSpanBJJ *** is your reaction? People are ******, what do you expect? You can't force someone to do something they don't want to. People are too sensitive to insults anyway, it's the actions that that tell the true story. 

@wolfmanhowl If what you say is true, Anchorage sounds like a great place. I think you might be idealizing things just a tad bit though. 

"الله أكبرl"

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

11.24.2016 | 3:06 AM ET

Catholics booing Islam has nothing to do with it, almost every group boos the Muslims because of their track record throughout history and today. I'm an Anti-theist, as such I recognize Islam is the biggest leftover ****-pile from our ancestors and it should be booed, not embraced. 

Everywhere Islam is or goes it's been an oppressive, barbaric force and on the whole Muslims don't assimilate well with much of the western countries they invade nor do they assimilate well to our values for the most part. Which is a big reason Trump got elected, no more refugees. 

I think Khabib is the best in the world, but I would boo any ******* like him that shouts Allahu Akbar after a fight and starts preaching Islam at us, because **** that religion and it's disease ridden ideas. Jihad and Martyrdom are paramount in the Islamic doctrines (and in practice) and it's not coincidence that 98% of terrorism today is from Muslims.

* Edited at 11.24.2016, 3:19 AM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 4 days, 11 hours, and 48 minutes from now.
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

11.24.2016 | 8:32 AM ET

Mikey, not all are like that. You should check out the sect of Islam called Ahmadi. They are not as big as Sunni or Shiites. They are actually against Sharia and for religious freedom.

AlexSpanBjj
AlexSpanBjj

11.24.2016 | 8:35 AM ET

Guys this no more about the original question. If you want to have a real interessant social debate on religion, i am not sure this is the good place to do so.

@mikeyg Every single brazilian (and not only brazilians) refers to god after a win so what about them? Religion just don't have it's place in sport. If you want to thanks God for a fight it's fine but no more.
mikeyg
mikeyg

11.24.2016 | 8:29 PM ET

@rappinsoda, So you're going to pull the "Not all" card on me? Yawn...Intellectually lazy.

@AlexSpanBjj, How many of these Christians commit acts of terror? Pretty much only from Africa. How many of them kill in the name of religion or condone the violence? Seems to be only one religion left on Earth piling up bodies on mass in almost every country they go to in the name of their ******** god. Outside of Africa, once Christians start making women second class again, killing gays, bombing buildings, cutting off ****orises of girls and overall just keeping their country in the dark ages, let me know...

* Edited at 11.24.2016, 8:31 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 4 days, 11 hours, and 48 minutes from now.
mikeyg
mikeyg

11.24.2016 | 8:33 PM ET

Not sure why I'm conversing with you Alex since you think it's not okay to poke fun at any group, even muslims. But, what Anik hinted at about them being overly sensitive ******* about ridicule is true. They can't take criticism and that needs to stop if they want to enter modernity. Everybody gets ridiculed, nobody gets a safe space or helmet.

"*** are those stereotypes you are throwing."

It's not a ******* stereotype, that's so regressive of you. The fact of the matter is, wherever Muslims go, the **** rate (and crime overall) goes up). With your attitude I'm sure you think the mass **** epidemic of Europe is just a coincidence since the refugee crisis?..or a hoax? Hmmm

* Edited at 11.24.2016, 8:47 PM ET *

AlexSpanBjj
AlexSpanBjj

11.25.2016 | 3:25 AM ET

@mikeyg I think you mix up everything here. I just responded to your comment :

"I think Khabib is the best in the world, but I would boo any ******* like him that shouts Allahu Akbar after a fight and starts preaching Islam at us"

by saying that a lot of fighters thanks god after a fight (including brazilians and ppl from all over the world). That being said, i agree with you on the point that religion have nothing to do with sport even if i think it's not dramatic if they just thanks god in their post fight interview.

And now, you are saying : "How many of these Christians commit acts of terror?"   "Wherever Muslims go, the **** rate (and crime overall) goes up" BUT NO, you are right, this are not stereotypes ;)

You are really out of scope here. There is nothing to do about our original debate. BTW i think you need to go back in your history books and stop being omnibulate by the media. Sorry for being rude here but you can ask the African continent about the benefits of colonization to "spread Christianity" (more about primary ressources and money than anything else). These ppl are "******" because of the action of Europe and the USA. And blame the refugee's issue in Europe to all the ******* wars "we" go for in the name of "Democracy" that started during G. W. Bush. presidency. I can continue with examples for a long time if you want so.

Violence is made by men, nothing else.

Peace.

AlexSpanBjj
AlexSpanBjj

11.25.2016 | 6:40 AM ET

@mikeyg And i never say "it's not okay to poke fun at any group". You are just throwing what you think here (and i have no problem with that) but pls don't pretend i said something when it's not the case.
mikeyg
mikeyg

11.25.2016 | 8:51 AM ET

@Alex, Well I'm sorry you don't see the implications of what you said earlier. When Anik said they have nothing to be afraid of by insult, and you said "***" that is you implying what he said was wrong. I am not just throwing **** out there, there are stats and facts to back up what I say.

"by saying that a lot of fighters thanks god after a fight (including brazilians and ppl from all over the world)."

Khabib wasn't just thanking his ******** god, you completely missed the point, and to conflate Modern day Christianity with Modern day Islam is just obtuse and sheltered from the world.

"That being said, i agree with you on the point that religion have nothing to do with sport even if i think it's not dramatic if they just thanks god in their post fight interview."

If you think shouting Allahu Akbar and lecturing the audience about Islam is the same as most fighters just mentioning god one time, then you've got you're priorities all messed up. Unless it's Vitor giving a lecture on Christianity, none of them really preach about Christianity. Khabib took it too far and he should know screaming Allahu Akbar in America and chastising the audience etc. would not be a smart move. When he said that I knew his title shot was lost.

* Edited at 11.25.2016, 10:57 AM ET *

AlexSpanBjj
AlexSpanBjj

11.25.2016 | 9:23 AM ET

@mikeyg pls take all the sentence when you quote what i said. I reacted to : "Muslims shouldn't be scared of insults, it's just a natural consequence of society". I don't agree with the fact it's a natural consequence of society, it doesn't means that i am against derision/satyre of ppl or of a religion (I am living in Belgium so don't worry i know very well the implications of all that issue..)

Sure there are stats, but stat is a tool that can be used in many differents way and so, have to be taken with caution (Even the Nazis used some stats and claimed scientific legitimacy to legitimate their actions and policies..). Don't be a sheep.

Concerning Khabib, i have to rewatch his post fight interview because i don't remember everything he said. Btw Allahu Akbar means "God is [the] greatest", and i am not defending Khabib. Khabib was the original topic of this post but you guys started to talk on some generalities.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Jose Aldo Discusses UFC 301 Return And Boxing Match With Floyd Mayweather, Backs Conor McGregor To Finish Michael Chandler
  • Middle Easy : Leon Edwards’ Coach is ’99 Percent’ Certain the Belal Muhammad Fight Will Happen at UFC 304
  • UFC.com : Ryan Spann: Consistency Builds Confidence
  • MMA Junkie : Dan Hooker claps back at Renato Moicano: 'You're the easiest money I've ever seen in my life, you chinless scumbag'
  • MMAFighting.com : Devin Haney releases first statement since Ryan Garcia loss, Oscar De La Hoya responds
  • MMA Mania : Velasquez Headed To Trial In September
  • MMA Junkie : UFC veterans in MMA, boxing and bareknuckle action April 25-27
  • MMAFighting.com : Roundtable: Is BKFC Mike Perry one of the 10 biggest draws in combat sports?
  • MMA Mania : ‘Let’s Go, Colby!’
  • MMA Junkie : PFL MENA 1 lineup announced
  • Bad Left Hook : Predictions: Will Jose Ramirez and Vergil Ortiz Jr shine on Saturday?
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301 Almost Had ‘Scarface’ Vs. ‘Dominator’
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Zubaira Tukhugov reveals Khabib Nurmagomedov was ‘going to rip contract up’ if he didn’t fight at UFC 242
  • MMA Mania : Meet PFL’s Latest Flyweight Signing, Melissa Balic!
  • Jits Magazine : Elijah Dorsey To Challenge Max Hanson For Welterweight Title At Enigma Invitational 15
  • Jits Magazine : ADXC 4: Abdul-Kareem Al Sewady And Amin Youb Join The Main Card In A Welterweight Bout
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Buckley Lands UFC St. Louis Co-Main Vs. Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 91 Odds, Under Dogs And Best Bets!
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Just continue being the best’: Crawford looks forward to upcoming title fight with Madrimov
  • MMA Mania : Doumbe Gets New Opponent For Bellator Paris