Tapology Forums

Should P4P exist? If so, who is current #1? Why?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

somersufc
somersufc
  • Predictions:  3,140  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  10
  • Post Score: 160

06.15.2016 | 12:30 PM ET

This is a debate that no doubt is never going to be agreed on but i need to hear some opinions.

I truly believe that Mighty Mouse is the #1 IF there should even be a such thing as P4P.

Just my opinion based on how dominate of a champion he is.

I will say his division has not been around as long as the other divisions but he has taken out some high level fighters, numerous times.

Thoughts? 

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willingness is not enough, we must do." -Bruce Lee

Responses

Kuma
Kuma
  • Predictions:  40,025  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,845
  • Post Score: 210

06.15.2016 | 1:16 PM ET

At least there's mostly really good members here,so a p4p discussion could be decent. I don't really get into them much,but to me Mighty Mouse is the clear #1 p4p ...and that guy could fight at 115.
buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

06.15.2016 | 1:20 PM ET

Yes. Jon Jones. Winning fights good. 

/end thread

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

06.15.2016 | 1:21 PM ET

I would vote Mighty Mouse as well

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

FaceStomper
FaceStomper
  • Predictions:  4,891  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,399
  • Post Score: 224

06.15.2016 | 1:40 PM ET

Jones has fought the greatest fighters in their prime and destroyed them, but Mighty Mouse has rarely even tasted the sense of defeat in his title reign. I still honestly think to this day Vitor Belfort was the closest to beating Jon Jones with that arm bar.

"You fight midgets" - Nate Diaz

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

06.15.2016 | 1:41 PM ET

I'd have a hard time putting DJ at #1 because of his loss to Cruz, much like DC losing to Jones. But as you can imagine those are my top 4 right there, just not in any special order aside from JBJ as the king.
poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

06.15.2016 | 1:41 PM ET

I would say Gustaffson was pretty close to beating him too! That was a very close decision.

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

06.15.2016 | 1:48 PM ET

Why should DJ loss to Cruz stop him from being number 1#?  Cruz is a huge 135er and DJ like an average sized 125er.  He also gave Cruz one of his hardest fights.  Cruz is potentially top 3 pound for pound fighters on the planet. He also likely has over 20 pounds on DJ. DJ walks around at 137 pounds, give or take a few pounds. While Cruz on the other hand is likely walking around at possibly over 160 pounds.  So I don't really see how that disqualifies DJ from the top slot, especially given the fact DJ has improved leaps and bounds since then.  I personally think DJ is number 1, but can't argue with people having Jon Jones.  Jones dominated bigger names, but I do feel DJ is on more of an up-slide. He has been getting more and more dominant, while Jones still dominates, but he not as dominant as he once was.  DJ just seems to have made larger improvements in recent years.

* Edited at 06.15.2016, 2:00 PM ET *

"here I come to save the day"

bklettke
bklettke

06.15.2016 | 2:01 PM ET

I believe they've both improved tremendously (DJ & Cruz). I also do not believe Cruz to be a huge135er, he's the same size as Dillashaw, Faber, Caraway.... whereas Barao was considered huge for that weight class.

Yes, DJ did give Cruz one of his tougher fights, but I would argue his second fight with Faber and his fight with Dillashaw were much harder than his fight with DJ. I think it's worth considering how well he did against TJ in his second fight in 4 years and no matter what he says ring rust is real. I see Dom putting a clinic on TJ if they fight again much like he did with Faber. I'd also argue that Cruz has a little more seasoned competition at 135 compared to DJ and as long as he stays healthy and keeps winning he should be right behind JBJ.

As far as Jones goes, I think we'll see a much more dominant JBJ at UFC 200 which wouldconfirm he's still #1, then Cruz, then DJ.

FaceStomper
FaceStomper
  • Predictions:  4,891  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,399
  • Post Score: 224

06.15.2016 | 2:22 PM ET

@Poir420 I agree but Vitor was close to finishing Jones rather than taking a decision 

"You fight midgets" - Nate Diaz

Kuma
Kuma
  • Predictions:  40,025  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,845
  • Post Score: 210

06.15.2016 | 2:23 PM ET

My thought on it all between Cruz and mm is that 4 years off.While mm has been a dominant and consistent champ with huge improvements. I think mm passed him for sure and Cruz arguably lost to dillashaw..but I don't think that matters,him having a few fights in 5 years is what really matters. I don't see how Cruz could be above mm,but that's all a matter of opinion.
somersufc
somersufc

06.15.2016 | 3:12 PM ET

I can definitley see how JBJ can be argued as #1 as well.

They both have had 9 title fights at their respected weight class and both have finished 5 of them.

I will say this tho, 3 of JBJ finishes were over middle weight fighters. (sonnen, machida, and belfort)

Yes MM did lose to Cruz but mostly because of the wrestling and size difference. Since then MM has grown in that area just finishing a Olympic wrestler. 

It really is a close debate between the 2 but i really think it comes down to the 200 fight for Jones.

Each time MM has had a rematch he has either derisively finished them, or dominated them in every area.

In my opinion if Jones has a close fight that goes to decision then MM gets the #1 slot. But if he finishes Cormier then he will salitify his #1 ranking as P4P king.

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willingness is not enough, we must do." -Bruce Lee

bklettke
bklettke

06.15.2016 | 3:45 PM ET

I would never feel butt hurt about anyone wanting MM above Cruz.... he's been much more active and finishing everyone lately. I am a big Dom Cruz fan so I see things slightly biased. I thought his fight with TJ was very close each round, but I had him winning 4 of those close rounds.

Has anyone thought about putting Bisping in their top 5 yet? It's been on my mind lately... yeah he's lost quite a few title eliminators, but all to known PED users aside from Tim Kennedy and Luke Rockhold.

Think about it.... he's fought in two weight classes; Dan Hendo was on TRT, Wand could have been on who knows what, Sonnen popped for an epic concoction, and Vitor wasn't human for about 2.5 years. Aside from that the guy has been around forever and just shocked Luke ****hold in 1 round on 2 weeks notice..... If not top 5 he's got to be damn near top 10.

OutlawJoseyWales
OutlawJoseyWales
  • Predictions:  10,186  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,392
  • Post Score: -147

06.15.2016 | 4:44 PM ET

there have been many gold medals awarded to wrestlers but only one ufc Flyweight champion. case closed.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 7 months, 4 days, 7 hours, and 54 minutes from now.
Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

06.15.2016 | 6:12 PM ET

We aren't really asking who's the best pound for pound are we? I mean the idea of "Pound for pound" is to say that a ****roach is far faster than a cheetah because for it's size it can accelerate and reach a maximum speed much greater than that of a cheetah speed relative it it's mass. Now humans, of course are not two different species let alone two different classifications of the animal kingdom. 

That being said, relativity is important not just in regards of "WOW look how talented, conditioned, athletic and fast Mighty Mouse is at 125lbs, if he were 205lbs nobody could beat him!" Because if he were 205lbs he'd be slower, less athletic, less conditioned, more prone to injuries and knockouts and overall less talented/technically skilled. So to really quantify these things we'd actually need to break it down scientifically and have working formulas, since these things don't exist we just speculate ignorantly and throw around the turn "pound for pound". Really what we are asking in my opinion is WHO IS THE BEST? and not Pound for Pound...Now how you judge "the best" is hard. We are mostly deluded by titles, for instance Cain was in a lot of peoples top 5 Pound for Pound, but career, talent and competition wise there's dozens of people actively you could have named were better or greater than he was. That novelty of Heavyweight champion most people can't really see past and most peoples opinions are pretty worthless on the matter, media included, and since it's the media or runs these things...I don't care all that much.

For me, Dos Anjos has to be up there right? He smashed Pettis, Cerrone twice, Ben Henderson and Nate Diaz. I suspect he will finish Alvarez pretty brutally, if he can avenge his loss to Khabib then I would put him right up there with Jones and Mighty Mouse comfortably. As a matter of fact my perspective on Jones is quite contrary to popular belief, I think he faced a lot of washed up big names in a completely stagnated division and gets all the credit in the world for those wins because they are/were big names but not because of his opponents actual skills and abilities at the time they fought. Gustafsson and Cormier were tremendous wins still. I'm not a Jones doubter either, I picked Stipe over Werdum and I'd pick Jones over Stipe. (Unless he looks like utter **** again). 

Ironically my opinion on Mighty Mouse is contrary in the opposite regard to that of Jones, Benavidez was the number 1 contender at 135lbs for years and smashed a lot of great guys in that division, went down in weight and solidified himself as a number 1 contender there reeling off spectacular finish after finish. Jon Dodson is a freak talent who just really got everything to click for him after winning TUF, he's a freakishly talented and athletic fighter who has beaten a lot of great guys very impressively (Formiga, Dillashaw, Moraga) and now moved back up to 135lbs and looks to be a contender there...Two of the most impressive fighters in the sport Mighty Mouse has beaten twice. Cejudo, Bagautinov and Horiguchi are also wins I respect a lot more than most of Jones title defenses.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  31,978  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972
  • Post Score: 195

06.15.2016 | 7:43 PM ET

P4P is a hard thing to argue for a lot of reasons. But I do think Mighty Mouse has the best argument at the moment. Nobody has really given him a serious challenge since his first title defense. Jones's performance against OSP was incredibly unimpressive to me.

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

06.15.2016 | 7:52 PM ET

Ironically there's a reverse way to look at Pound for Pound right? Mark Hunt is 5'10 283lbs and for that weight his hand speed, balance/base and technique are fantastic. If we shrunk him down to Mighty Mouse's size he could have been Khaosai Galaxy type monster. There's a diminishing return with size that needs to but never is taken into account. 

* Edited at 06.15.2016, 7:54 PM ET *

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  31,978  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972
  • Post Score: 195

06.15.2016 | 7:56 PM ET

But if Mark Hunt was a 125er with his build he would be three feet tall. Also Khaosai Galaxy is a fantastic name.

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

06.15.2016 | 8:12 PM ET

P4P just gives people something to argue about and is used primarily to promote non heavyweights.  There is no way to prove who is actually pound for pound better  because nothing is going to make two fighters naturally the same size and weight. 

The way I look at it is division dominance.  Who is the most dominant fighter in their division.  But then there is the argument who fights in the toughest division and dominated the best competition.  

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

06.15.2016 | 9:03 PM ET

When it comes down to it, P4P is only useful to ponder for smaller fighters because in reality they just get destroyed by bigger fighters. So people had to create a hypothetical where someone could win if they were the same weight/height etc. It's a nonsensical hypothetical anyway, if this imaginary thing happened, what scenario would hypothetically happen, who knows.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 4 days, 6 hours, and 24 minutes from now.
somersufc
somersufc

06.16.2016 | 9:03 AM ET

These are all valid points that is why i don't really agree the UFC should sit there and say before a fight "the P4P #1 fighter in the world" cause in reality, there is no such thing.

I do believe that MM puts it all together very well.

I believe he transitions from striking to clinch to take downs and then take downs right to dominate positions. 

So when looking at it i guess it does come down to who is able to dominate their opponents better.

Dos Anjos is one of those guys that started off slow, then just worked his ass off and is now destroying guys.

I would love to see him fight Khabib again and if he wins i do believe he is one of the best champs out there.

The other thing to look at is the fact MM has a chance to beat Anderson Silva's record of title defenses which is a pretty remarkable thing to do.

But again for me MM is the best champion of his division but if Jones does go in and finish DC he has a case to be the best champion as well.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Trial Date Set for Former UFC Heavyweight Champion Cain Velasquez in Attempted Murder Case
  • MMA Junkie : Israel Adesanya will always respect 'special fighter' Alex Pereira
  • Jits Magazine : PGF World Season 6: Day 3 Recap
  • MMAFighting.com : Shaq: Vitor Belfort knocked out person ‘talking crazy’ at bar
  • UFC.com : UFC UNFILTERED | Ariane Lipski, Austin Hubbard, UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez picks
  • MMA Junkie : Montana De La Rosa, Andrea Lee booked for UFC rematch in Louisville
  • MMA Mania : Cannonier Vs Imamov Headlines UFC Louisville
  • MMA Junkie : UFC's Tim Means doesn't expect to fight for long: 'I turned 40, I know my time is coming'
  • Bad Left Hook : Cieslak vs Chamberlain joins Billam-Smith vs Riakporhe 2 on June 15
  • Bad Left Hook : Michal Cieslak vs Isaac Chamberlain joins Billam-Smith vs Riakporhe 2 on June 15
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! BKFC ‘KnuckleMania 4’ Press Conference Video!
  • UFC.com : UFC Returns To Louisville For UFC Fight Night On June 8 At KFC Yum! Center
  • MMA Junkie : Tatiana Suarez campaigns for title shot vs. Zhang Weili at UFC 306: 'I get a submission 100 percent'
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302: Makhachev vs. Poirier adds key prospect bout
  • UFC.com : Gabriel Benitez: Still flying the flag
  • MMA Mania : A Special Message For Chinless Scumbags
  • UFC.com : Rhythm Is Gonna Get You: Why Timing Is Everything For Matheus Nicolau
  • MMA Junkie : Tatsuro Taira fills UFC 302 opening, fights Joshua Van
  • MMAFighting.com : Ronda Rousey blasts Joe Rogan, MMA media for turning on her: ‘They’re a bunch of assh*les’
  • Jits Magazine : BJJ Stars 12 Full Preview