Topic: Nelson vs. Lewis

Nelson vs. Lewis

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,582  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,524
  • Post Score: 60

04.30.2016 | 12:29 AM ET

This is the official discussion thread for Nelson vs. Lewis. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

04.30.2016 | 12:29 AM ET

Prediction: correct Lewis   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Co-Main of a Fight Pass show. Gonna be a good week.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

04.30.2016 | 12:44 AM ET

This fight is going to be so awesome.

"..."

unbeknownst
unbeknownst
  • Predictions:  5,020  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,679
  • Post Score: 208

04.30.2016 | 12:45 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Nelson   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Lets see if Lewis steps up to the moment. He he had poor showing against Mitrione, after initially calling him out. He's now done the same thing to Nelson.

"I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture, and kill them."

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

04.30.2016 | 2:46 AM ET

Kinda surprised people are picking Lewis over Roy.

I think Roy crushes him early.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 4 days, 20 hours, and 57 minutes from now.
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

04.30.2016 | 9:59 AM ET

Roy by KO.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

04.30.2016 | 11:05 AM ET

Eh @mikey, at this stage of their careers I can totally understand picking Lewis over Roy. I personally am picking talent and experience over brute force but I would definitely not be shocked if this fight ended with Roy staring at the lights.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

04.30.2016 | 1:38 PM ET

Two big fat Heavyweights with giant power fighting eachother? One's way bigger and younger, the other more skilled and durable but much older. 

Seems like a pick'em fight to me. This isn't even a fight where if I predicted it perfectly I'd be proud, if you rolled the dice 10 times on these guys I'd expect Roy would win no more than 6 or 7 out of 10. 

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

ambosdavid
ambosdavid
  • Predictions:  113  |  68.1%
  • Forum Posts:  3
  • Post Score: 133

04.30.2016 | 2:46 PM ET

This fight is going to be flawless.

"History belongs to those who work for it, not to those who do not."

nomeansmoney
nomeansmoney
  • Predictions:  520  |  58.7%
  • Forum Posts:  123
  • Post Score: 23

04.30.2016 | 4:40 PM ET

Prediction: correct Lewis   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Roys game has been exposed. Lewis has more ways to finish and he will, probably by headkick in the 2nd.

Josh Barnett almost landed it a couple times. Roy loves to shell up and lean to his right.

"Gitsum"

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  31,978  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972
  • Post Score: 195

04.30.2016 | 4:57 PM ET

More ways to finish? Roy still knows how to sub people...I think. And IDK if I've seen Lewis throw a head kick that wasn't super awkward. I find both guys pretty similar but Nelson has the better chin pretty easily. Lewis doesn't seem like the very disciplined type, I find it most likely that he stuns or thinks he's stunned Roy and runs into the overhand. 

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

nomeansmoney
nomeansmoney
  • Predictions:  520  |  58.7%
  • Forum Posts:  123
  • Post Score: 23

04.30.2016 | 5:29 PM ET

can't remember the last time Roy went for a takedown.

You need to go rewatch Lewis's last two fights if you don't think he has smooth headkicks. He opened the grabowski fight with a switch headkick and the gonzaga fight with a rear roundhouse.

Lewis the black sheep in the HW division

* Edited at 04.30.2016, 5:30 PM ET *

"Gitsum"

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  31,978  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972
  • Post Score: 195

04.30.2016 | 11:33 PM ET

Nelson remembered he had grappling in the Barnett fight of all fights, took him down several times. Kinda went back to the same old crap in the Rosholt fight, though. Except he was feinting a lot.

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

yossgold
yossgold

05.01.2016 | 3:48 AM ET

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think Lewis has already proven he's got solid TDD and even better "getups" when he's taken down, I don't think Roy goes for too many and even if he does he gets shaken off.

Also, with all due respect to Roy's grappling accolades, those were all before he got SO fat. There's a limit to what you can do with such a gut, the huge speed and ajility loss that comes with it and zero dexterity even if you know the technique. Roy's not taking Lewis down, he's most definitely not keeping him there even if he gets a flash takedown and I don't see him submitting him either (at this point I think Viktor Pešta for instance has a better ground game than Roy and Lewis had Gabriel ******* Gonzaga on his back, survived then shook him off due the the exact reason I think he'll shake Roy off, Gonzaga is too old, fat and slow for his superior technique to shine, he just couldn't stay on his back because Lewis is stronger and faster, not because he has any kind of real BJJ defense, so I don't see Roy having the grappling advantage in this fight even though on paper he more than does).

This fight is all about what lands. Is Roy savvy enough to find a home for his one remaining weapon before he gets too tired and loses all his power (I hope he is, but I have my doubts) or does Lewis overwhelm him with size/speed/power/every other physical advantage that exists and finish Roy?

* Edited at 05.01.2016, 3:50 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

05.01.2016 | 4:37 PM ET

"it's fights like this that make mixed Martial arts the greatest sport in the world, Joe," - Mike

Prediction: wrong Nelson   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,476  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,786
  • Post Score: 180

05.02.2016 | 1:13 PM ET

Any HW fight not only can but is likely to end with one "staring up at the lights".

Roy was always fat. He is not a great wrestler and never has been BUT the one area his grappling is top notch is IF he gets someone down. The aforementioned fatness is a huge advantage to someone who knows how to use it and Roy does. So no, Roy is most likely not taking Lewis down but if it ends up on the ground (maybe a knockdown?) then I am much less confident than Yoss that Lewis can just get back up so easily. 
Also what speed does Lewis have? Mitrione was much faster, thus the result of their fight.

And I've seen Roy get tired only when he's been beaten upon extensively, see Mir, Werdum, Barnett. He was sick for the Mir fight and Mir actually wrestled him while Barnett used the clinch. Not sure if I think Lewis can or will use the clinch which admittedly is the best strategy to use against Roy. I don't think Derrick can do what Stipe or Reem did. Just don't see him having that footwork or the technique that Hunt has. To me this fight is as close as it gets to 2 runaway trains on the same track headed for each other.

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

OutlawJoseyWales
OutlawJoseyWales
  • Predictions:  10,186  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,392
  • Post Score: -147

05.02.2016 | 7:11 PM ET

Lewis is on a tear and nelson is getting old and losing. i say Lewis KO"s nelson in late first round.  He seems to like his performance of the night bonuses. I think lewis will be backing up nelson too.

* Edited at 05.02.2016, 7:12 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 7 months, 4 days, 22 hours, and 27 minutes from now.
SimilarCreatures
SimilarCreatures
  • Predictions:  3,072  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  14
  • Post Score: 179

05.02.2016 | 7:30 PM ET

Nelson has an iron chin, Lewis doesn't, but I still think Big Country is going night night on this one

Nelson still has some real power and a black belt level BJJ game that I think he may have forgotten about, but he takes small chunks off of his future with the way that he fights. The iron chin of Big Country is still there it seems, but for how long?

Like I mentioned in the title, Black Beast, like most heavyweights before and after him, doesn't have the best chin or the best gas tank, but I still think this will end with Nelson with his back on the octagon canvas staring up at the lights and the referee.

* Edited at 05.02.2016, 7:34 PM ET *

"“The warrior guided by the spirit serves humanity, the warrior without, serves the ego” ― Soke Behzad Ahmadi"

Lilezzy
Lilezzy
  • Predictions:  1,686  |  57.7%
  • Forum Posts:  7
  • Post Score: 71

05.03.2016 | 3:02 AM ET

Prediction: correct Lewis   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

The Black Beast is on the rise i see him coming out victorious in this one 

"Nobody Cares Work Harder"

dirtytomflint
dirtytomflint
  • Predictions:  2,794  |  62.3%
  • Forum Posts:  26
  • Post Score: 165

05.03.2016 | 4:32 AM ET

Good fan-favorite and competitive fight... no complaints here!

* Edited at 05.03.2016, 4:33 AM ET *

yossgold
yossgold

05.03.2016 | 5:04 AM ET

@mulefloyd,

"Roy was always fat"

Was he now?

* Edited at 05.03.2016, 5:05 AM ET *

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Buckley Lands UFC St. Louis Co-Main Vs. Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 91 Odds, Under Dogs And Best Bets!
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Just continue being the best’: Crawford looks forward to upcoming title fight with Madrimov
  • MMA Mania : Doumbe Gets New Opponent For Bellator Paris
  • MMA Junkie : Terence Crawford vs. Israil Madrimov official; Isaac Cruz, Andy Ruiz Jr. on undercard
  • Middle Easy : Chris Weidman Compares Alex Pereira’s Wrestling To Ben Askren’s Striking: ‘Such A Deficiency’
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Would Step In The Fire With Pereira And He Knows That’
  • MMA Junkie : Matheus Nicolau done with Manel Kape bookings, focused on title shot after UFC on ESPN 55 headliner
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight card: Perry vs. Alves
  • Middle Easy : ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone Tears Bicep ‘Off the Bone’ While Preparing to Ride Dana White’s Prized Bull
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Spann claims he hasn't watched tape on Bogdan Guskov ahead of UFC on ESPN 55 co-main bout
  • MMA Mania : Keep $300K Bonuses! ‘It Can’t Go Back’
  • MMAFighting.com : Joaquin Buckley vs. Nursulton Ruziboev announced for UFC St. Louis co-headliner
  • MMA Junkie : Joaquin Buckley gets UFC on ESPN 56 co-main assignment vs. Nursulton Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : Pereira = ... Askren? ‘It’s Weird To See’
  • MMAFighting.com : Cain Velasquez attempted murder trial set to begin in September
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo confirms UFC 301 final fight on contract, hints at boxing match at Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Run it back, give fans a fair fight’: Devin Haney on Ryan Garcia loss
  • UFC.com : Alexandre Pantoja | TUF Beginnings
  • MMA Junkie : Former UFC champion Cain Velasquez gets trial date in attempted murder case