Ajax loader

Topic: Site Features & Issues

Question to Tapology: What is the Future of Tapology's Forums?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  39,652  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,100
  • Post Score: 176

04.21.2016 | 3:19 AM ET

I'm making this thread, not to try and troll, but because I feel it is a necessary question to ask.  I was talking with some people who frequent this forum and we noticed that there is a lack of an aura of fun on the forum.  Sure the site itself is growing and the viewing threads are entertaining, but as far as the forum as a whole goes, it doesn't feel like it is as lively like it was when I first started posting regularly.  There isn't many forum games anymore (especially with the long hiatus to BLC).  There isn't any goofy fun threads to just post in.  A lot of the weird characters that used to create mischief are gone or banned.  It feels vacant and is making the forum part of the site feel rather dull, because we as users have nothing fun to do.

I guess my question is: what can we do to make this place more exciting and more compelling to post on?

And as an additional question: is there any new features you as mods can add that would add some interest?

"Reality is whatever refuses to go away when I stop believing it." - Philip K ****

Responses Page 6

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,148  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 187

08.03.2016 | 5:56 PM ET

I just googled IRC  tapology and I was there

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,594  |  58.5%
  • Forum Posts:  6,318
  • Post Score: 112

08.04.2016 | 9:28 AM ET

there´s already somebody with the nickname Buffalo Ben in that ¨type /nick newnick to use another¨ LOL! **** that. Have fun

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

SevenLakerSeth
SevenLakerSeth
  • Predictions:  1,785  |  65.1%
  • Forum Posts:  23
  • Post Score: 143

12.08.2016 | 5:53 PM ET

Where's your Tapology Symbolic Fist badge? That's where the real GOATS roam.

Pick a perfect main card and come talk to me.  

Suck on my blue belt balls. I've ************* ascended above you. 
GreenHornet
GreenHornet

12.20.2016 | 8:22 PM ET

bump

I am bumping this thread, because I feel like the state of the forums is not getting better.  I understand that there are a lot of things that the people who run this site want to do, but I just feel like forums are still getting ignored, period.  I mean, it feels like participation in the forums is still taking a massive nose dive since January of this year.  I just want an explanation for why this is happening and what can someone like myself (and possibly other users if they want to) can do to expand membership and participation in the forums.  Is it a lack of promotion and visibility?  I am just tired of the forums feeling so empty and under used.  I like using this site, but the fact that participation is going continuously going down, at least from what I can see, has begun to make me feel the site (at least the forum end) is dying.

What can be done to fix this?  Because I really want to help preserve the forums, but I feel like I am one of the few people who care about this.

* Edited at 12.20.2016, 8:27 PM ET *

"Reality is whatever refuses to go away when I stop believing it." - Philip K ****

Rhino_Rocks
Rhino_Rocks
  • Predictions:  2,438  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  168
  • Post Score: 24

12.20.2016 | 8:48 PM ET

@greenhornet

I really think the discussions would be better if we updated forum software where commenting was almost like facebook. its hard to find what people have commented back bc the only notifications are on my email. 

Also mma is a hard sport to debate. people get childish pretty fast and that all sites. 

"stick and move with a little pop pop bang and you'll be fine"

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

12.20.2016 | 9:20 PM ET

@rhino

While I agree the layout should get updated, participation is also becoming a problem.  The best example I have of this is the viewing threads for ufc events.  It used to be the UFC FS1 cards would get at least 20 pages of posts for them.  Now the site is lucky if it can even do that for a PPV event viewing thread.

* Edited at 12.20.2016, 9:28 PM ET *

dtrain24
dtrain24
  • Predictions:  7,402  |  65.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,178
  • Post Score: 206

12.20.2016 | 9:49 PM ET

I agree with what Hornet said. I also feel that we could use an additional section for forum games. I think the new MMA Fantasy add-on was a great idea, and I absolutely respect the work that everyone has done on this site. 

I just feel that less and less people are getting involved in forum games. The current edition of Survivor only started with about 10 people, I think. It's never been that low. Ironically, I think it's because game threads tend to get pushed down pages, and no one is ever really bothered to go to page two to look for a new game to play, and so on. 

I truly feel a more visible game section would drive up participation in things like Survivor, the Wagering League, etc. I also recall that MMAWizzard stopped doing "Last One Standing" and "Last Dog Standing" due to lack of interest/participation. If a new section for games is added, I think it would not only drive people to play the current games we have, but possibly encourage people to start new ones/bring back old ones. I think it would definitely improve the forums and provide a possible breath of fresh air into Tapology.

I love this site. I wouldn't be as active of a member if I didn't and take some time out to run the Survivor game here. I'd love to experience what guys like Hornet, Poir, Yoss, etc. have before me. I wasn't around when the forums were super lively. I'd like to do what I can to bring that back, even if it's just making suggestions here.

Again, I want to reiterate that I'm super grateful to the site's staff. Guys like Gregory, Skelliher and all of the Fight Center editors are the reason we have the site, so thank you. I hope you guys don't take this recommendation the wrong way. I just want to do what I can to help the site.

"His legacy is money. My legacy is smesh." -Khabib

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  64,659  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  8,018
  • Post Score: 42

12.21.2016 | 8:11 AM ET

Do more forums like Sherdog does.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

nomeansmoney
nomeansmoney
  • Predictions:  488  |  58.6%
  • Forum Posts:  122
  • Post Score: 21

12.22.2016 | 11:23 AM ET

A quote/break or enter text and video option on the forums would be great. Replies get super long and hard to see which line is related to which line

"Gitsum"

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,656  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  11,044
  • Post Score: 217

12.22.2016 | 2:44 PM ET

There's not necessarily a magical or easy fix to increase Forum participation. The Fantasy section/gaming is absolutely going to be a big thing moving forward, so maybe that will have some effect. 

I will say, however, that while some of you may be getting the vibe that "the site is dying" due to less Forum participation, it couldn't be further from the truth. More people are using Tapology than ever before. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,821  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 92

12.23.2016 | 3:00 AM ET

...Or, more people can come to a site while the posting on the forums gets lower, don't be naive. Just because there might be more people doing say the fantasy picks doesn't mean the forums aren't dying. I think it's good to be honest here that the forums have slowed and maybe take some of our solutions that a lot of us have said might make it more navigable and user friendly.
yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  65,684  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,535
  • Post Score: 254

12.23.2016 | 3:28 AM ET

Tapology is getting to a wider audience that's for sure, I've noticed more and more fighters and promotions refer to their Tapology pages and rankings quite a lot (way more than they used to), promoters have cropped my region's Tapology event pages into their posters because we're the ones that are on the money and look best, heck, even UFC researchers use Tapology for "Dana White: Looking for a Fight" (Matt Serra even commented on a picture I put in for a fighter on the show).

As for the forums, they're very weird right now, I don't see a lot if in-depth discussions or even that many fun stuff and I'm mainly missing the lacking of the sense of community we once had. There used to be a lot of guys I really liked on this forum, most of them funny, intelligent, VERY knowledgable but I don't think they necessarily stopped frequenting the site due to the "state of the forums" (maybe they did, maybe they didn't, I don't know). I think most of them just got older, had kids and a lot less time on their hands ...

I do however think that maybe taking a few of the suggestions in this thread and sprucing up the format a bit (I think sticky posts, games section, theme sorting are probably the best place to start) would help create the new generation of Aniks, OldNicks, live2wrestles, dielegendes, SRAOnlines (remember our favourite Ozzie?), R1zlas, Ronwahs, Curtwags, cal1s and countless others (I think just two years ago there were at least 50 guys I could think of that I really liked around here while as these days I think it's somewhere around 10).

That said, sprucing up a forum technologically isn't an easy task, and going through all that only to find that it didn't really add that much (which is a possibility) is risky business.

I don't have the whole picture so I don't know if the forum should even be a main priority but I think the fantasy games section is a HUGE step in the right direction and I think it has limitless options (Maybe in the next phase of development, you could take a few of the games that we already play here and see if you can incorporate molds for them or popular games on other sites).

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,034  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,460
  • Post Score: 212

12.23.2016 | 3:13 PM ET

Let me throw in some more information.

Is forum participation down?  Yes.

Is overall Tapology.com usage up?  Yes, it's up substantially.

The FightCenter is very large and is bigger than any other part of the website, by far.  More traffic is coming in and using the Fighter/Event/Promotion/Gym pages than all other parts of the website combined.  People use it like a "Wikipedia of MMA" who aren't even logged into a Tapology user account.

A lot of our time and money has gone into making sure the FightCenter data and systems have been able to keep up.  There are a lot of behind the scenes complexities to making the FightCenter and the website in general run smoothly. This means more servers doing more complex things, more editors filling out more data from around the globe.  There's a lot of technical challenges to deal with.

What that has meant has been not as much time has been available to do some of the improvements to the forums that we know we want/need to make.  There are many substantial forum changes that are planned but not in full-on development yet.  Many of these changes are based on your feedback.  We don't ignore the feedback even if it might seem like it sometimes.

The good news is the shifting focus recently to Fantasy Games is going to tie back into the forums before too much longer.  Forums and Fantasy Games are more connected than it might seem on the surface.

It's a tricky balancing act, because we don't have a large team of people to work on these features.

Hope this helps at least explain some of the prioritization and planning we are doing, and why we do see a more robust and powerful Forums as a big part of the future here.

Greg

"I live, I die, I live again."

OutlawJoseyWales
OutlawJoseyWales
  • Predictions:  10,161  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,392
  • Post Score: -192

12.23.2016 | 5:48 PM ET

I want to know who is making up the belt progression.  Bacon belt,, Cookie belt? you should have stayed with money belt and gone from ones to benjamins. i have  no interest in going over coral belt. I quit for about a year when i hit red belt. It just got boring. 5 years ago the site was worth around 64,000 dollars. what is it worth now?
GreenHornet
GreenHornet

12.23.2016 | 11:39 PM ET

@greg

Thank you for hearing me out.  I am just really concerned.  I love using this site and I don't want to see the forums wither.  Don't mean to be an alarmist at all.

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  64,659  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  8,018
  • Post Score: 42

12.24.2016 | 7:46 AM ET

The forum here does seem like it has slowed down a ton in the last year.

* Edited at 12.24.2016, 7:47 AM ET *

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

maccca3232
maccca3232
  • Predictions:  123  |  65.9%
  • Forum Posts:  81
  • Post Score: 107

12.27.2016 | 6:22 PM ET

As a relatively new member to the site I decided to join this site primarily due to Fightcentre or more specifically the fight predictions.

I don't really post that much, usually on WMMA and only on this site.

I wouldn't try and do everything well, just excel at your niche. Therefore I think the MMA fantasy game is a great idea.

I am sure most use different sources for different things. An example for me:

If I want pick (Tapology)
If I want score (MMA Decisions)
If I want forum (Sherdog)
If I want news (Only follow 3 MMA feeds on twitter: Bloody Elbow, Ariel Helwani, Women's MMA Rankings).
If I want opinions (MMA Beat)
If I want breakdowns (MMA Vivisection)

dvnmiller26
dvnmiller26
  • Predictions:  1,075  |  58.6%
  • Forum Posts:  269
  • Post Score: 134

12.27.2016 | 7:46 PM ET

Wow this is my first login in a little over two years. Was two years before then. I think I was one of the first 30 or so blackbelts on this site. I'll have to do some exploring, but for me it's still the news that appears a bit lagging, along with the forum setup. No mobile app (from what I searched) kindof stinks as well. Fightcenter looks great still and I'll probably get back to making picks again. I'll need to update my rankings, as mine still reflect Anderson Silvia number 1 at 185 and GSP number 1 at 170 etc., it's been that long.

One major buzzkill is the mobile version of this site is a little rough. That's a huge difference between now and back when I was very active on the site. I used a pc/laptop back in those days, and now it's almost strictly phone. I don't even know when the last time I turned on my laptop was, and I think there is a few of you guys out there like me in that aspect. 

The main attraction for me to this site was the picks, and keeping track of those picks and the stats. That's the niche. Cater to those people first and the rest is secondary. I am still exploring, but what about having paid contests for GPP and cash games like draftkings from within the topology site? I've only read the first page of this thread so please excuse me if this has been brought up already.

I wish nothing but the best for this site and its members. It's always been something different for me, but this site can be really special moving forward. Just my .2. I'll try to post more than every two years. 

trevpicks
trevpicks
  • Predictions:  45,179  |  58.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,846

12.27.2016 | 9:45 PM ET

Trump says currently this site is worth 2.4 billion.

"Yolo so **** ya pants like Yoel!"

OutlawJoseyWales
OutlawJoseyWales
  • Predictions:  10,161  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,392
  • Post Score: -192

01.05.2017 | 7:50 PM ET

trump also said this site only has two jobs that pay. i have a source that says greg is using cheap mexican labor. the twitter message is coming soon. + _ =

Page 6

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : UFC Uruguay poster released
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Newark poster released
  • UFC.com : UFC Breaks 50/50 Record at UFC 239: Jones vs. Santos
  • MMAFighting.com : Myles Jury signs multi-fight deal with Bellator
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway expects to challenge for lightweight title again
  • UFC.com : Rafael Dos Anjos: "I Can Beat Anybody"
  • UFC.com : What Greg Hardy Has Learned Since Joining the UFC
  • MMAFighting.com : Alen Amedovski accepts six-month USADA sanction for cannabis metabolite
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway UFC 240 media lunch scrum live now
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Max Holloway UFC 240 media lunch scrum
  • UFC.com : Statement on Alen Amedovski
  • MMA Weekly : Dan Hardy’s War Room breakdown: Rafael Dos Anjos vs. Leon Edwards (video)
  • MMA Weekly : Dana White confirms Justin Gaethje vs. Cowboy Cerrone to headline UFC Vancouver
  • MMAFighting.com : Ratings report: PFL 4 does best numbers so far on ESPN2, while Bellator 224 near average
  • MMA Weekly : Watch Max Holloway finish Anthony Pettis (UFC 240 Free Fight)
  • MMAFighting.com : Coach: Sergio Pettis targeting San Francisco card, return to flyweight
  • MMAFighting.com : Thiago Santos has successful surgery on both knees
  • UFC.com : Aleksei Oleinik Still Blazing His Own Unique Trail
  • UFC.com : Alexander Hernandez Rewired Himself
  • UFC.com : Roxanne Modafferi Seeks Mastery