Topic: dos Anjos vs. Alvarez

dos Anjos vs. Alvarez

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,554  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,505
  • Post Score: 60

04.15.2016 | 12:55 PM ET

This is the official discussion thread for dos Anjos vs. Alvarez. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

04.15.2016 | 12:55 PM ET

Prediction: correct Alvarez   wrong Decision  

Fantastic style match-up. Main event of the Fight Night on July 7. Should make it pretty obvious that Lawler is the final addition to 200.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,254  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,483
  • Post Score: 203

04.15.2016 | 2:36 PM ET

Prediction: wrong dos Anjos   wrong Submission   wrong Round 4  

Watching Eddie's journey has been pretty amazing. From his wars in Dream and Bellator, to wasting a year of his prime in courtrooms, to the UFC lightweight title. It's been a fun ride. I'm ready. 

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

Follow The Money
Follow The Money
  • Predictions:  5,951  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,031
  • Post Score: 150

04.15.2016 | 2:58 PM ET

Prediction: wrong dos Anjos   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

I agree I'm happy for him, just not so happy it's RDA.
unbeknownst
unbeknownst
  • Predictions:  5,020  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,679
  • Post Score: 208

04.15.2016 | 5:34 PM ET

Prediction: wrong dos Anjos   wrong Decision  

Being stuck on FightPass as the champion: probably a punishment for injuring himself on his last day of sparing. No PPV cut for RDA for either UFC 196 and UFC 200.

"I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture, and kill them."

Hyrm
Hyrm
  • Predictions:  6,103  |  64.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,250
  • Post Score: 190

04.15.2016 | 7:10 PM ET

Alvvarez will get his ass kick.... or maybe he will survive 5 round and loose a deicsion if he grind RDA on the cage

"Never go down without a fight"

dirtytomflint
dirtytomflint
  • Predictions:  2,794  |  62.3%
  • Forum Posts:  26
  • Post Score: 165

04.16.2016 | 1:00 AM ET

For those of you talking about this bout being on Fight Pass.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I personally would have wanted this fight on a bigger card. However, as fans of the sport, I thought this would be worth mentioning:

From Luke Thomas of MMAFighting & SiriusXM Rush:

"I think Fight Pass will eventually become the default broadcast platform for the UFC (years from now, but still). When I saw Conor McGregor fight on FP, the numbers on our traffic were still HUGE. Yes, that's McGregor, but it's proof the platform can still be a window into big moments. Moreover, if we all want FP to not be a graveyard, then UFC can't treat it as such. Adding title fights is exactly how to position it for long-term growth and prestige. The other issue is frees up where UFC can host certain fights. Ronda Rousey notwithstanding, it's hard to hold a PPV outside of North America because of how difficult it can be to generate sales. Fight Pass makes big fights much more mobile."

* Edited at 04.16.2016, 1:02 AM ET *

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

04.16.2016 | 1:07 AM ET

I cannot say I am very excited for this fight, I don't even expect it to be competitive. There's several Lightweights I am certain are better than Alvarez whilst being tougher challenges for Dos Anjos. There's also a handful I'd assume are potentially better and harder challenges for Dos Anjos ontop of this. This seems like one of those title fights that "just happens" kind of like GSP vs Dan Hardy or something. 

Although I'm sure this is more a factor of McGregor losing, Khabib being perpetually injured, Ferguson becoming injured and all of that.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner
  • Predictions:  9,964  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,398
  • Post Score: 283

04.16.2016 | 1:12 AM ET

Prediction: correct Alvarez   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

What an insult to both RDA as well as Alvarez.

THE LIGHTWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP OF THE WORLD on fight pass.
A ******* streaming service. 
Terrible way of handling it. Sure it might get people on the site, BUT you are depriving the worlds MMA spotlight of knowing "ohhh who is this RDA or Eddie Alvarez on TV?"  and what is the difference? you gain a couple extra subscribers or people that will try their free trial finally for one night... or put it on free TV where you could have a million new fans watch, and hundreds of thousands return to watch. **** that.

But OHHH on FOX get ready to watch Sage Northcutt or Conor McGregor on PPV. Literally if RDA or Eddie had the pull that Conor has this would never happen. Seriously what are the chances Conor will ever headline a Fight Pass card again? Nil at this point.

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Bark Twain

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

04.16.2016 | 1:33 AM ET

Insult? Why don't you look at it the other way around? Wouldn't it be more unsulting if his first headlined PPV barely passed the 150K mark (which is what would most likely have happened had he headlined without Conor or at least some other branded name to bring in the numbers).

The UFC are bringing him to masses, making him familiar, building his brand first (as well as startting to solidify UFC FP as another option for big fights because as of now fan's minds are fixated on the "PPV = prestigous" way of thinking). There are quite a few great fighters in the 155 division but none of them have a marketable brand as of now.

If RDA/Alvarez headlined a PPV right now I don't see it coming even close to the revenue sharing point so for him it's a good thing.

I think people should shake off that 2002 way of thinking. PPVs will get the guys who can sell them headlining because it would be stupid not to, but from the fighters' POV, unless they can push the PPV into the revenue sharing zone it makes absolutely no difference ... on the contrary, WAY more eyes on free TV / stream ... we're talking millions vs. 100s of thousands.

If you can't sell a PPV, why would you ***** about not being on one? (not that RDA has done that, but it seems a ****load of people are out there *****ing and moaning for him without stopping to try and understand what this whole thing actually means)

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

loudenSwain
loudenSwain
  • Predictions:  15,071  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6,313
  • Post Score: 283

04.16.2016 | 2:21 AM ET

UFC CHAMPION

Prediction: correct Alvarez   correct KO/TKO   correct Round 1  

Eddie "mutha ****'n" Alvarez!!

Sounds ******* awesome!!

Bring that strap to the illadelph!!

"This is Prize-Fighting, IDGAF about your family or your problems - MassaBruce"

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,478  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

04.16.2016 | 9:46 AM ET

Very interesting. 

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

unbeknownst
unbeknownst
  • Predictions:  5,020  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,679
  • Post Score: 208

04.16.2016 | 11:20 AM ET

@yossgold: I agree with 99% of all your points there. However I don't think it's 2002 way of thinking, because here in the US, one of the main ways people consume the UFC is at sport bars. The bars here (at least in LA) don't even bother to show FS1 cards or big FOX cards either unless you request a TV to be switched to the channel. Business aren't permitted to show FightPass cards at their establishments legally.

PPV cards, on the other had, are promoted their with posters, fliers, and table displays, in hopes that you'll come back for that event and patronize their bar. When you do show up for the PPV event every TV there is usually designated to the fights and everyone there is either there to watch the UFC or is a curious spectator.   

"I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture, and kill them."

BDiesel84
BDiesel84
  • Predictions:  4,454  |  62.3%
  • Forum Posts:  16
  • Post Score: 238

06.19.2016 | 10:49 PM ET

O
jonnyboy6969
jonnyboy6969
  • Predictions:  92,361  |  67.6%
  • Forum Posts:  406
  • Post Score: 229

06.19.2016 | 11:06 PM ET

I think RDA destroys Eddie early.

Prediction: wrong dos Anjos   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

"Fortune favors the bold."

BigD315
BigD315
  • Predictions:  4  |  25.0%
  • Forum Posts:  13
  • Post Score: 108

06.19.2016 | 11:19 PM ET

I have a feeling RDA will roll here. He's just that good.
Rakasa
Rakasa
  • Predictions:  3,706  |  62.1%
  • Forum Posts:  188
  • Post Score: 353

06.20.2016 | 6:23 AM ET

Yup, Eddie better have been hiding a lot of what he can do until now. I don't think the performance he's put on before will award him the split decision this time. Not against an RDA who could very well be our best lightweight champ of all time.

"Do you wanna have a bad time?"

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,478  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

06.20.2016 | 7:54 AM ET

RDA wins and then Nurmegomedov takes it from him next fight.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

Rakasa
Rakasa
  • Predictions:  3,706  |  62.1%
  • Forum Posts:  188
  • Post Score: 353

06.20.2016 | 8:55 AM ET

I'm not completely sure about that yet. It's already been two years since their previous fight, some things may have changed. Plus, we haven't seen Khabib fight five rounds yet. I think I'd still pick Khabib to win, but you never know...

* Edited at 06.20.2016, 8:56 AM ET *

"Do you wanna have a bad time?"

Kuma
Kuma
  • Predictions:  40,025  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,845
  • Post Score: 210

06.20.2016 | 11:31 AM ET

Right now I'd pick RDA over Khabib,but with no real confidence. He's just looked phenomenal, his momentum,it being 5 rounds,and Khabibs constant injuries and time off.
Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

06.20.2016 | 12:52 PM ET

I think people are sleeping on Eddie.  I think Eddie going to win and I think his style matches up much better against Dos Anjos then people realize.  I think Eddie about to really shock some people.

"here I come to save the day"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 Results: Koreshkov vs. Umalatov
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: ‘I Decide Who, When, And Where’
  • MMA Mania : Muhammad Goes Off On Edwards And ‘Fakest Team I’ve Ever Seen’
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia has skill set to compete with Devin Haney. Does he have mindset?
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway mocks Ilia Topuria’s demands for potential fight; Topuria responds
  • MMA Junkie : Henry Cejudo: Bo Nickal needs to hold his horses, 'maybe 10 fights away from possibly becoming UFC champion'
  • MMA Mania : Frenemies? ‘I Hate To See A Fighter Lose His Confidence’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 weigh-in results: Welterweights, featherweights set in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : ‘When I Was Your Age, I Already Had Title Defenses, Buddy’
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia fight card
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Belal Muhammad Claims He ‘Hates Leon Edwards’ Guts,’ Hopes To Dethrone The Welterweight King In Manchester
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Says He’s ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, Wants Logan Paul Or Floyd Mayweather Jr In Boxing After Nate Diaz
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Suggests Herb Dean Played a Part in Jamahal Hill’s UFC 300 Loss, ‘Big’ John McCarthy Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway responds to the 'un-BMF' demands from UFC champ Ilia Topuria
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Eddie Hearn says things about to get real for Ryan Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Hearn says things about to get real for Garcia
  • MMA Mania : PFL Chicago Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Relive every win of Conor McGregor’s epic UFC career
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Strickland vs. Paulo Costa: Odds and what to know ahead of UFC 302 co-headliner
  • MMA Mania : No Foul Play! ‘The Cutman Used A Boxing Technique’