Topic: Brendan Schaub

Schaub Thinks Beating Nogueira Should Earn Him Title Shot.

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

BodyModifier
BodyModifier
  • Predictions:  21  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,608
  • Post Score: 152

08.18.2011 | 3:52 PM ET

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Brendan "Big Brown" Schaub

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Brendan Peter Schaub
  • Pro MMA Record: 10-5-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: Big Brown
  • Current Streak: 2 Losses
  • Last Fight: December 06, 2014 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Heavyweight | Last Weigh-In: 244.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: N/A
  • Height: 6'4" (194cm) | Reach: 78.5" (199cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $220,000 USD
  • Born: Aurora, Colorado, United States
  • Fighting out of: Denver, Colorado
  • Head Coach: Greg Jackson
  • Other Coaches: N/A
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,086  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

08.18.2011 | 3:54 PM ET

Hell no, Nogueira hasn't fought in forever and is coming off a brutal KO. He needs to beat like Nelson, Mir, Carwin, someone like that.

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

08.18.2011 | 3:55 PM ET

well they did give Lesnar a title shot after going 1-1 so why not lol. But really I think he is a few more fights away if he manages to beat Nog

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

RWLawman
RWLawman
  • Predictions:  2,583  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,053
  • Post Score: 173

08.18.2011 | 3:55 PM ET

I think he still has some more work to do.  Schaub would get destroyed by Velasquez, Dos Santos, Carwin, and even Lesnar.  He's not ready for a belt.

" "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran "

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

08.18.2011 | 3:57 PM ET

After he sleeps Big Nog...let him beat Big Country's ass (If he gets by Cro Cop)...then a top 5 fight for #1 contenders spot

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

RWLawman
RWLawman
  • Predictions:  2,583  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,053
  • Post Score: 173

08.18.2011 | 4:01 PM ET

Still a close call as far as the #1 contender spot, in my opinion Soccer.  I think he needs to beat two names in the top ten, with at least one of those being in the top five before he can be considered ready for a title shot.

" "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran "

SoccerKick
SoccerKick

08.18.2011 | 4:06 PM ET

The consensus has Roy Nelson #12 and with a win over Cro Cop he'll probably sneak back into the top 10 then Schaub/Nelson if Schaub wins that he'll be in line for a top 5 fight and title eliminator fight

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

08.18.2011 | 4:15 PM ET

Didnt Cain beat Nog and get a title shot? Beat Kongo before that? Brock comes in and gets a premature title shot. The way UFC gives title shots and is unfair to most of the fighters in divisions is unbelievable. I know it's a business but holy. 

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,086  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

08.18.2011 | 4:36 PM ET

Cain has a huge Mexican fanbase, and so does Brock. Schaub isn't **** really.

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

SoccerKick
SoccerKick

08.18.2011 | 4:46 PM ET

Says the man on the MMA forum

BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

08.18.2011 | 4:49 PM ET

Shaub is very overrated and he thinks he's the #1 contender by beating Cro Cop and Gonzaga which make it worse. He's going to get a reality check on August 27th

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

themysticalninja
themysticalninja
  • Predictions:  1,219  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,725
  • Post Score: 123

08.18.2011 | 4:54 PM ET

Schaub isn't overrated, he's just not ready yet, even with a win over Nogueira

"Go get some Donald CER-ROE-NAY!" - Greg Jackson

ufcchick2011
ufcchick2011
  • Predictions:  17,099  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,674
  • Post Score: 177

08.18.2011 | 4:56 PM ET

And thats why the HW division is so easy to get a #1 contender spot because the division is lacking compared to the LW and WW divisions.

"The only way to guarantee failure is by giving up" Frank Mir

SoccerKick
SoccerKick

08.18.2011 | 5:00 PM ET

The heaviest division and the lightest division will never be as stacked as the ones in between...there aren't a lot of guys with a great skillset and also have the size or lack of size to compete!

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

08.18.2011 | 5:06 PM ET

If he underestimates Nog and thinks he's going to blast through him. He might have a bad night. He can't look past Nog. It's making me second guess my pick. I want Nog to win. Schaub better not get too confident. He'll pay for it.

ufcchick2011
ufcchick2011
  • Predictions:  17,099  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,674
  • Post Score: 177

08.18.2011 | 5:08 PM ET

Well I also think (IMO) that the HW fighters, besides Cain lack endurance/stamina/cardio. This is a huge advantage for Cain since he can last all 5 rounds compared to all of his other opponents. The HW division needs to step its game up! lol And if that means dropping to light heavyweight, then by all means.

"The only way to guarantee failure is by giving up" Frank Mir

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

08.18.2011 | 5:28 PM ET

On top of that the UFC needs to open the doors to more Heavy Weights. There will be a new breed of Heavy Weights just like there is the Jon Jones at Light Heavy Weight. 
The HW obviously is so shallow. Which leads to fights that seem predictable and a lot of rematches. That's why when they bought SF it was a HUGE step for them. Leads to more exciting possibilities. 
I honestly think they should work on their HW roster and add a Cruiser Weight Division. The weight difference doesn't seem like a huge deal to the majority of the fans, but to me it can be arguable. Some fighters what come in 50 lbs difference come fight night? That can play a huge role when you have Brock Lesnar shooting at you. Technique can prevail, but the HW Division and its weight limitations can be critical to a fighter, who weighs a lot less than his opposition. 
That's why the UFC has played their cards right. They brought in Brock to spice up the division and hyped up Cain to lure the Mexican fan base. Cain is now champion and they probably knew it was bound to happen, but they worked up Brock first because he was a huge draw. 
There is probably more in depth we could go with the UFC's decisions they make regularly because it's strictly a "business" first. So I can't blame them for the way they pull their strings and make things work. I just don't agree with how they do it constantly. This of course is entertainment but there has to be some fairness. 
The irony about this situation is exactly the Brock situation. I didn't see many people complaining about Brock getting a premature shot. Because we were all curious how he'd fare against fighters. A former WWE superstar taking on MMA. Looking like a huge threat just by his image. 
His record speaks for itself and he got a premature title shot. Yet people harp on Brendan getting a shot? I think it's because of his personality? Because who was "put" in front of him? This is the UFC's doing. I don't blame him for stringing wins together and feeling like he wants a crack at the belt. I think that's every fighters desire.
I know the division is a lot more lively right now, but you have to look at it through his eyes. I'm not even defending him because I really want Nog to win. I want him to be humbled and come back through the division. Not get the belt and lose it to the next fighter. It is a premature thing to do throw him to the wolves. But I say why not. Let him get a taste of reality and how it is to fight some elite top tier fighters like Cain/JDS/Carwin. 
One more fight and I think they should hype him up just to see him fall. He'll come back stronger anyways. He's not ready and I think us fans realize this, but you honestly never know till he faces them.

skeet2b
skeet2b
  • Predictions:  8,330  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1,703
  • Post Score: 158

08.18.2011 | 5:31 PM ET

Shaub has been doing good beating non contenders but I dont get where he thinks he should get a title shot if he beats Nog, IMO Shaub is ranked higher than Nog right now

"A true champion, face to face with his darkest hour, will do whatever it takes to rise above. A man fights, and fights, and then fights some more. Because surrender is death, and death is for *******"

themysticalninja
themysticalninja
  • Predictions:  1,219  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,725
  • Post Score: 123

08.18.2011 | 5:34 PM ET

UFC should raid some Bellator heavyweights lol.

Really though for now UFC should just grab a lot of heavyweights, regardless if they are good or just built like a brick s***house. Then they can weed out the really crap ones and have the decent ones stay.

"Go get some Donald CER-ROE-NAY!" - Greg Jackson

HavokDM
HavokDM
  • Predictions:  9,733  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,047
  • Post Score: 199

08.18.2011 | 5:41 PM ET

@Bodymodifier: There were tons of people complaining that Brock got a title shot. I don't know if Schaub could sell a pay-per-view yet. If he avenged his loss to Roy in devastating fashion, maybe.

"Nothing in this world is a gift. Whatever must be learned must be learned the hard way."

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

08.18.2011 | 5:43 PM ET

Only the anti Brock haters. The majority of people were all over Brock. That's why he's such a huge draw.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• UFC.com : Weigh-In Results | UFC Atlantic City
  • Bad Left Hook : Valdez vs Wilson: Live updates and results, 6:10 pm ET
  • The Athletic : UFC featherweight champion Ilia Topuria says title fight at Santiago Bernabéu Stadium ‘very, very, very possible’
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! ‘Regretful’ Biter Breaks Silence
  • MMA Mania : An Elite Contender With Only One Combo
  • MMA Mania : ‘Come Over Here Real Quick, Win A Belt, Maybe Win Another Belt’
  • Middle Easy : Conor McGregor Plans To Continue Fighting Until He’s ‘In The F*cking Grave,’ Wants To Face Similar-Aged Opponents
  • Middle Easy : Khalil Rountree Jr Claims Fans Want To See Him Fight Alex Pereira, Doesn’t Care If Pereira Is Champion
  • MMAFighting.com : Vince McMahon unloads another $100 million of TKO Group Holdings stock
  • MMA Junkie : 'That's not who I am': Igor Severino apologizes for bite, hopes one mistake doesn't define career
  • MMA Mania : ‘A Big Spit In The Face Of All The Champions’
  • MMAFighting.com : Payton Talbott rejects Sean O’Malley comparisons after UFC Vegas 89: ‘I don’t want to be compared’
  • UFC.com : Joaquin Buckley: ‘This Is The Reason I’m Here’
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I’d love that fight’: Tszyu willing to face Spence next, talks fight with Fundora
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I’d love that fight’: Tim Tszyu willing to face Errol Spence next, talks fight with Sebastian Fundora
  • MMA Junkie : 'Super happy' PFL season newcomer Mads Burnell explains excitement for fight schedule, new weight class
  • MMAFighting.com : Conor McGregor scoffs at retirement: ‘It’s to the motherf****** grave’
  • MMA Mania : Whittaker: Chimaev Fight ‘Came Out Of Nowhere’
  • MMA Junkie : Why 2022 PFL welterweight champ Sadibou Sy moved to light heavyweight for upcoming season
  • MMAFighting.com : Robert Whittaker reacts to Khamzat Chimaev fight at UFC Saudi Arabia: ‘It’s a bit of a shock’