Tapology Forums

Rousey at Weigh-Ins

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

subscape
subscape
  • Predictions:  3,294  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  90
  • Post Score: 133

11.15.2015 | 5:16 PM ET

I'm sure there's 101 conspiracy theories going around as to why Rousey lost the title on Saturday so I'm not putting too much thought into this & I'm not taking anything away from Holm's performance & ability to execute a superb game plan on the night, but you can't deny the weigh ins were a tell tale sign that something wasn't quite right with Rousey.

She also seemed already exhausted when she went back to her corner after the first round, just like Velasquez did against Werdum, except she didn't have elevation to use as an excuse.

I've trained a little Muay Thai & BJJ but never fought competitively or had to cut weight for a fight so excuse my ignorance here but... Does cutting weight make you 'gurn'? (clenched teeth, involuntary jaw movement, pulling weird faces)

I'm assuming that there's a good chance it probably does but would like some input from anyone who has been in this position and experienced a tough weight cut.

"When you can't see the angles no more, you're in trouble"

Responses

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

11.15.2015 | 11:50 PM ET

Roused was tired because she has the ring craft of a duck (something I've said a thousand times) and was chasing Holly instead of cutting off the cage (something she simply doesn't know how to do, yet her genius "striking coach" thinks she can hang in there with top level boxers in a boxing match).

Rousey can usually wade in and **** a girl up, this time every time she got close she was hit and her target moved, when she managed to clinch, Holly dumped her on her ass or shook her off and moved, when she finally got into armbar position, Holly defended and moved out of there. That kind of **** along with her literally rushing after a moving target for 5 minutes will tire you out.

* Edited at 11.16.2015, 12:15 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

11.15.2015 | 11:51 PM ET

And yeah, super bad cuts will make you gurn.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

11.15.2015 | 11:58 PM ET

I think the ****** weight cut could have played a part in it.  But let's not forget that Holm fought the perfect fight, and that is because she is the better trained fighter of the two thanks to Greg Jackson and Mike Winklejohn.  If Rousey trained at AKA, Tristar, or another big name gym; this fight would have gone much different.  Rousey's strategy for that entire fight is the result of poor training from her time under Edmond Tarverdyan. 

"..."

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

11.16.2015 | 5:43 AM ET

I think Ronda was pretty hurt going into the second round.  Plus everything Yoss said.

"here I come to save the day"

subscape
subscape

11.16.2015 | 7:43 AM ET

Thanks for the insight guys, sorry if I seemed to ramble a little in my first post, I may have had a few drinks last night when I posted....

Agree with with all points made tho & wasn't trying to take anything away from Holm, she fought the perfect fight & exposed Rousey's weaknesses effectively, her game plan was Ronda's Kryptonite & I'm sure having a guy like Winklejohn behind you since the beginning, along with Greg Jackson for the last few years as well is why she is such a great fighter & had the perfect game plan on the night.

I still think something wasn't quite right with Rousey, I guess the pressure has got to her & the cut probably didn't help but like Yoss said Holm did an excellent job of making her rush around the cage for 5 minutes non stop which was probably why she looked exhausted going into the second.

Looks like regardless of if Rousey was at 100% or not there's a good chance Holm would have still beat her anyway.

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

11.16.2015 | 10:23 AM ET

Jason Floyd tweet'd after weigh-ins to not be surprised if something comes out of the Rousey camp if she loses the fight.....

Regardless if something does come out, I don't see Ronda winning the fight. Holly's movement is amazing and she has a nice little kryptonite for Ronda.... Robin Black did a nice youtube video basically explain how Holly has been practicing her game plan for the fight since she came to the UFC.

Sorry guys, I'd post links but a) I'm lazy and b) I'm on my work computer and they won't let me.

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

11.16.2015 | 10:55 AM ET

She also had the most insane adrenaline dump of her career when she realized she was en route to being KTFO'd. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,478  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

11.16.2015 | 11:34 AM ET

Funny thing about the fight was it looked like Holly was shaking when she was being checked to go into the octagon. I guess it was just her hyping herself up. 

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner
  • Predictions:  9,964  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,398
  • Post Score: 283

11.16.2015 | 12:01 PM ET

I think that Rousey looked drained during weigh ins. (Thanks Mike Dolce lol)

But she looked thin as hell and ready for stripped pajamas. 

Holm looked cut up and healthy.

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Bark Twain

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

11.16.2015 | 12:33 PM ET

Really did she?  Because feel like your reading into something that not really there. Go look at here other weigh in pictures, she looks pretty much the same. She look far from drained like we seen numerous other fighters. 

"here I come to save the day"

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

11.16.2015 | 12:38 PM ET

Whether or not Ronda was in ideal condition, she wasn't going to beat that Holly with that absolutely masterful gameplan on that night. No way in hell. That was one of the most perfectly-executed plans I've ever seen in MMA. Kept her composure and showed physical and technical superiority throughout.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

11.16.2015 | 1:04 PM ET

A guy hates to analyze every little detail but I watched the stare downs at the press conference "down under" and Rousey was breathing extremely heavy.... I've never noticed it before. Meanwhile, HH stayed extremely calm and her demeanor never changed. I was a little worried as she looked really nervous walking out and getting into the octagon, but after that it was smooth sailing.

Really impressed by Holly. She went from a couple rather boring fights to the best performance of her life to date.

subscape
subscape

11.16.2015 | 2:14 PM ET

As I said you can't take anything away from Holm here & I agree with Skelliher that Holm would have won regardless, this is a great play by play analysis ICYMI:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/11/16/9740872/ufc-193-rousey-vs-holm-sober-play-by-play-bad-coach-wasnt-rondas-only-failure-analysis

Also the Firas Zahabi breakdown explains how Holm effectively countered any of Rousey's grappling attempts.

I still think something didn't seem right with Ronda tho, she seemed to completely lack any composure at both the weigh ins and in the cage.. But then again it's not like we've seen Ronda really tested until now so it could just be that Holm exposed her.

haven
haven
  • Predictions:  94,655  |  52.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,030
  • Post Score: 188

11.16.2015 | 5:54 PM ET

I think that holm and ronda 2 will be 200ufc and it will make lots money 

"i like mma and the tapology"

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,478  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

11.18.2015 | 8:05 AM ET

Her nose was all red so maybe she was sick. I don't think it mattered, though in the end.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Muhammad Goes Off On Edwards And ‘Fakest Team I’ve Ever Seen’
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia has skill set to compete with Devin Haney. Does he have mindset?
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway mocks Ilia Topuria’s demands for potential fight; Topuria responds
  • MMA Junkie : Henry Cejudo: Bo Nickal needs to hold his horses, 'maybe 10 fights away from possibly becoming UFC champion'
  • MMA Mania : Frenemies? ‘I Hate To See A Fighter Lose His Confidence’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 weigh-in results: Welterweights, featherweights set in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : ‘When I Was Your Age, I Already Had Title Defenses, Buddy’
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia fight card
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Belal Muhammad Claims He ‘Hates Leon Edwards’ Guts,’ Hopes To Dethrone The Welterweight King In Manchester
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Says He’s ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, Wants Logan Paul Or Floyd Mayweather Jr In Boxing After Nate Diaz
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Suggests Herb Dean Played a Part in Jamahal Hill’s UFC 300 Loss, ‘Big’ John McCarthy Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway responds to the 'un-BMF' demands from UFC champ Ilia Topuria
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Eddie Hearn says things about to get real for Ryan Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Hearn says things about to get real for Garcia
  • MMA Mania : PFL Chicago Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Relive every win of Conor McGregor’s epic UFC career
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Strickland vs. Paulo Costa: Odds and what to know ahead of UFC 302 co-headliner
  • MMA Mania : No Foul Play! ‘The Cutman Used A Boxing Technique’
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 weigh-in video
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 weigh-in video, results