Topic: Werdum vs. Velasquez II

Werdum vs. Velasquez II

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,582  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,524
  • Post Score: 60

11.05.2015 | 1:12 AM ET

This is the official discussion thread for Werdum vs. Velasquez II. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

11.05.2015 | 1:12 AM ET

Prediction: Werdum  |  Submission  |  Round 2

Rumored for Super Bowl Weekend.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,326  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,484
  • Post Score: 203

11.05.2015 | 1:28 AM ET

This fight is still dumb as ****.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

11.05.2015 | 2:22 AM ET

Prediction: Velasquez  |  Decision

I'm not happy that the UFC is giving Velasquez an automatic rematch, as I agree that Arlovski did enough to get the shot before that Mir fight.  Plus, Cain should have been given at least two fights: one tune up fight (even though the UFC, for some reason, thinks they are "stupid" *sigh*) and one against a top ten opponent like Miocic or Rothwell before getting a title rematch.  This would, for a little while, alleviate the issues with the Heavyweight division of everything revolving around Velasquez.

However, I don't think this fight is stupid either.  Say what you will, but Cain got stiffed a bit with having that fight booked at altitude when coming off a year plus layoff.  Doesn't excuse the fact that he should have done more to prepare nor take away how well Werdum fought against him.  Werdum beat Velasquez to a bloody pulp, looked convincing doing it, and if this rematch goes into later rounds Cain could get beaten badly again.  Still, that was not the same Velasquez we have seen beating the living hell out of guys like Nogueira, Dos Santos, Bigfoot, Lesnar, Rothwell, and Kongo.

Furthtermore, this fight could be the crown jewel of victories for Werdum's carrer.  If he wins the rematch: it further validates his prior win over Cain, it will cement his legacy as being arguably the greatest Heavyweight in MMA history, and will free up the 265 division's contender problem.  And even if he loses, he could get his rematch and trump Cain again.  Werdum has more to gain and less to lose than Cain, in my opinion.  Especially where he exposed the potential stamina problems that Cain has in later rounds.  As long as Werdum prepares similar to what he did last time, especially if he trains at altitude, he has not a whole lot to worry about.

* Edited at 11.05.2015, 2:24 AM ET *

"..."

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

11.05.2015 | 7:32 AM ET

Prediction: Werdum  |  KO/TKO  |  Round 3

Fight makes no sense, it wasn't like Cain was that competitive. We all know who the obvious choices for next HW contender were. At least there will be a finish here and will be a violent fight.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 4 days, 10 hours, and 37 minutes from now.
KnockoutsRock21
KnockoutsRock21
  • Predictions:  17,407  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,011
  • Post Score: 251

11.05.2015 | 8:10 AM ET

I don't understand the Velasquez hate.  I think he wins this rematch in the first or second round.  Yes, I want to see Arlovski vs Werdum or JDS vs Werdum , especially considering both beat him in their first fight.  I do not think Arlovski is as good as Cain (and we know JDS isn't) so I have no problem with the top 2 fighters going at it again.  

I also expect Velasquez to be the betting favorite.

"Superman wears Chuck Liddell pajamas"

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

11.05.2015 | 9:12 AM ET

Cain got tooled but I do think the rematch should happen.  Werdum is just a better planner.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

11.05.2015 | 9:13 AM ET

Prediction: Werdum  |  KO/TKO  |  Round 4

I think Werdum has the formula for Cain just like Weidman did for Anderson..... he'll finish this one even quicker.
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

11.05.2015 | 9:26 AM ET

Bklettke, you might be right.

skelliher
skelliher

12.09.2015 | 6:59 PM ET

Confirmed by DW himself in an interview with latino reporters. He wasn't supposed to make the announcement yet. 

Had a feeling this might get pushed to March, but looks like it's sooner.

EDIT: Seeing the UFC saying it's being targeted for that date, so will switch it back to Rumored for now. Seems like close to a done deal.

* Edited at 12.09.2015, 7:02 PM ET *

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

12.09.2015 | 7:08 PM ET

a lot of people say the same thing about the fight making no sense after JDS knocked out Cain. and a lot of you now stand corrected, and soon you will again.

I´m not saying Cain deserved the fight, he didn´t but the UFC has done worse. but as having no point at all I don´t think thats right. Werdum defeated Cain without a doubt but, at the same time the fight remains with an asterisk  because of the elevation and seemingly lack of preparation for it on Cains part, and if you want a champion that "feels" legitimate to most people you need to make that fight again and let Cain redeem himself or let Werdum he really is the best.

I think this time Cain will defeat Werdum.

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

12.09.2015 | 8:57 PM ET

Prediction: Werdum  |  KO/TKO  |  Round 4

Nobody was saying the rematch between Cain and JDS should not have happened. JDS landed one perfectly placed punch very early on. People wanted to see the rematch so we could see how the fight would play out. Unlike in the Werdum/Cain fight where Werdum messed him up, tried to give the people a show and then choked him out. It wasn't even close. Arlovski should be getting this fight and I wouldn't be surprised if he still does when Cain gets injured and pulls out of yet another fight.

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

12.10.2015 | 12:04 AM ET

Cain vs JDS 2 wasn't an immediate rematch either...Cain fought Bigfoot and JDS fought Mir at 146

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

12.10.2015 | 8:13 AM ET

JDS also fought Hunt after he lost to Cain. That was after the second fight, though.

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

12.10.2015 | 12:53 PM ET

I didn´t said they gave imediate rematch after Cain was KO´d and I know  abunch of people wanted to see that rematch, myself included, but there was a lot of people saying otherwise, they were deep in JDS nuts at the time and I remember getting a bunch of downvotes after saying Cain would wreck JDS like no one before. 

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

skelliher
skelliher

12.12.2015 | 11:19 PM ET

Confirmed. 

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

12.13.2015 | 4:04 AM ET

Excited for this one.

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  31,978  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972
  • Post Score: 195

12.13.2015 | 4:46 AM ET

Prediction: Werdum  |  Submission  |  Round 3

This is still a dumb rematch, and I think the altitude excuse is one of the worst in history. "Cain was either too stupid or too lazy to train for altitude despite the fight being scheduled at high altitude in Mexico for the SECOND TIME, how will he do when he doesn't have to put thought into his training camp???" Plus he gets injured too damn much and I won't be surprised if it happens again.

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

12.13.2015 | 12:50 PM ET

I actually think the altitude was a major factor and that the rematch will go differently.

That said, the fact that the altitude was such a factor is Cain's fault, Mexico didn't suddenly rise by 20,000 feet on fight night, Werdum fought in the exact same altitude and along with the fact that Cain wasn't the most active champ and you do have a couple of other heavyweights who could fit the bill (JDS is on a streak and is finally a relevant contender again with Werdum as champ, Miocic, Arlovski) I think that giving Cain another 1 or 2 fights to chill would've been the route to go. JDS vs. Werdum and Cain vs. Overeem (so's not to wast Miocic or Arlovski) would have been optimal, imo.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

12.13.2015 | 1:04 PM ET

It was a factor bit Cain did not prepare. He did not get used to the altitude and Werdum did. Preparation is 50 present of the fight right there.

USMC
USMC
  • Predictions:  804  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  170
  • Post Score: 58

12.13.2015 | 2:02 PM ET

Velasquez keeps range utilizing kicks a whole lot more.  Chops Werdum down this time.

I picked Werdum the first fight.

* Edited at 12.13.2015, 2:03 PM ET *

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : Adrien Broner vs Blair Cobbs official for June 7, WBC title fight on undercard
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping says he's down for Luke Rockhold trilogy fight – with a condition
  • Middle Easy : Anthony Smith Pitches For Alex Pereira Fight, Says He ‘Would Really Step In The Fire’ With ‘Poatan’
  • Middle Easy : Khabib Nurmagomedov Threatened to ‘Rip Up’ UFC Contract to Get His Friend a Fight
  • MMA Mania : What’s The Holdup?
  • MMAFighting.com : Michael Bisping would ‘100 percent’ have trilogy fight with Luke Rockhold in Karate Combat
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55's Bogdan Guskov still down for Anthony Smith fight despite 'friendly sparring'
  • Middle Easy : Jose Aldo Discusses UFC 301 Return And Boxing Match With Floyd Mayweather, Backs Conor McGregor To Finish Michael Chandler
  • Middle Easy : Leon Edwards’ Coach is ’99 Percent’ Certain the Belal Muhammad Fight Will Happen at UFC 304
  • UFC.com : Ryan Spann: Consistency Builds Confidence
  • MMA Junkie : Dan Hooker claps back at Renato Moicano: 'You're the easiest money I've ever seen in my life, you chinless scumbag'
  • MMAFighting.com : Devin Haney releases first statement since Ryan Garcia loss, Oscar De La Hoya responds
  • MMA Mania : Velasquez Headed To Trial In September
  • MMA Junkie : UFC veterans in MMA, boxing and bareknuckle action April 25-27
  • MMAFighting.com : Roundtable: Is BKFC Mike Perry one of the 10 biggest draws in combat sports?
  • MMA Mania : ‘Let’s Go, Colby!’
  • MMA Junkie : PFL MENA 1 lineup announced
  • Bad Left Hook : Predictions: Will Jose Ramirez and Vergil Ortiz Jr shine on Saturday?
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301 Almost Had ‘Scarface’ Vs. ‘Dominator’
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Zubaira Tukhugov reveals Khabib Nurmagomedov was ‘going to rip contract up’ if he didn’t fight at UFC 242