Tapology Forums

Fedor's Opponent

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

10.06.2015 | 12:19 PM ET

So it looks like Fedor came out of retirement to fight a 1-0 guy!

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Report-Fedor-Emelianenko-to-Face-10-Jaideep-Singh-on-NYE-93583

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

Responses Page 4

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

10.10.2015 | 7:11 PM ET

@joekerr  Sorry.  Misread your post.  My bad.

"..."

joe kerr
joe kerr
  • Predictions:  241,087  |  68.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,850
  • Post Score: 267

10.10.2015 | 7:16 PM ET

Ah, got you. No, Fedor vs. Russians is not meant as a continuation of the Pudzilla subject. I was replying to live2, who raised both topics.

"If the enemy rejects the ground, I would take him down by tackle. Why didn’t he [Royler] do so? May I introduce him to a good coach? His tackle was... like a girl’s one... Mr. Royler, how are you feeling?" - Kazushi Sakuraba

skeet2b
skeet2b
  • Predictions:  8,330  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1,703
  • Post Score: 158

10.10.2015 | 7:35 PM ET

im glad to see him fighting again but i dont think its a wise idea to get back in the ring.  He will more than likely get beat and even if he wins it doesnt prove anything. 

"A true champion, face to face with his darkest hour, will do whatever it takes to rise above. A man fights, and fights, and then fights some more. Because surrender is death, and death is for *******"

unbeknownst
unbeknownst
  • Predictions:  5,020  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,679
  • Post Score: 208

10.10.2015 | 8:50 PM ET

I now want to see Fedor vs. Rampage more than any other possible matchup to headline that Japanese NYE show.

"I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture, and kill them."

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,254  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,483

10.10.2015 | 9:36 PM ET

Couture putting in work at the gym. It's a sign....

https://twitter.com/SamSpira/status/653012471473549312

* Edited at 10.10.2015, 9:37 PM ET *

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

10.10.2015 | 9:44 PM ET

@unbeknownst  That would be a fun fight.

Personally, I would want to see Fedor fight...

1. Wanderlei Silva

2. Randy Couture

or

3. Tyrone Spong

"..."

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

10.10.2015 | 9:46 PM ET

People who want to see Fedor fight on NYE, in order. 

• 1. Wanderlei Silva. 
  • 2. Wanderlei Silva
  • 3. Wanderlei Silva
  • 4. Wanderlei Silva 
  • 5. Wanderlei Silva

#****TheUFC #****NSAC #FreeWanderlei

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

10.10.2015 | 9:46 PM ET

Isn't Randy like 68 by now? not really interested in that fight anymore. And when it comes to Fedor signing with Sakikabara, it's a tragedy from a fans standpoint, he'll likely just fight cans and I think this move does tarnish his career. Hope he fights at least one good fighter.

I defended Fedor so much throughout the years, I overlooked him skipping over the UFC the first time as it seemed both sides were to blame, but this, saying he wanted to fight the best, then takes a gamble and signs with some promise of a New Pride which might not even last.

To top it off, his first fight back he's going to fight a 1-0 kickboxer who normally fights in Glory, huge disappointment and it loses me respect for him big time. I'm still a fan and will watch him fight, but godamn, this move looks really cowardly. I wish he would have just stayed retired, honestly.

* Edited at 10.10.2015, 9:49 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 15 hours, and 17 minutes from now.
MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

10.10.2015 | 9:51 PM ET

As of right now it's looking almost certain that Fedor is NOT fighting Singh on NYE. Also, he fought once in Glory. Silly goose. 

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

10.10.2015 | 10:08 PM ET

@mikeyg  To paraphrase what Luke Thomas said about this: Unless he loses to his opponents in Japan, Fedor's legacy won't be tarnished in the slightest.  Fedor's legacy is solidified already with the opponents he beat in Pride, who were considered to be the best in the world when he fought them.  All Fedor is doing is giving context to his legacy, in that what he accomplished is anachronistic and a product of that era.  He doesn't have any interest, nor is under any obligation, to redefine his legacy by fighting the likes of Velasquez or Werdum; primarily because he has nothing to gain. 

Believe me, I have always wanted to see Fedor fight in the UFC.  But, at the same time, I think that possibility is no longer realistic; considering how much MMA has evolved as a whole to when Fedor was in his prime. 

* Edited at 10.10.2015, 10:36 PM ET *

"..."

mikeyg
mikeyg

10.11.2015 | 5:02 AM ET

I think he as still at a very high point of his career when he was offered the Brock fight. So I think, ultimately, not going there at that point as a tarnishing point for him. Of course his PRIDE days solidify his status as one of the greatest of all time, but he did have a lot to prove, there were still fighters he hadn't beaten yet when he was still at a relatively high skill set. I guess he probably isn't anywhere near his prime today but when he said he wanted to fight the best, he lied to everyone. That alone is a tarnishing point as well.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 15 hours, and 17 minutes from now.
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,478  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

10.11.2015 | 9:10 AM ET

I liked Couture when he fought but he was inconsistant. He beat many greats but lost a,few he should not have. That being said, I think Fedor would run right through him. The ring is not Randy's friend.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

10.11.2015 | 2:45 PM ET

@mikeyg  Such as...who?

At the time Fedor was offered the Lesnar fight (which was circa 2009), he had beaten two former UFC Heavyweight Champions in Tim Sylvia and Andrei Arlovski when both fighers were ranked in the top 10 (Hell, Arlovski was ranked as high as #2).  Furthermore, he had beaten Pride veterans like Big Nog, Cro Cop, Hunt, Herring, and Coleman; most of whom were, at the time, under contract with the UFC.  So other than a handful of fighters in Mir, Carwin, Lesnar, Velasquez, Dos Santos, and Couture; there wasn't much outside of that group convince Fedor to move.  Also keep in mind that a lot of the best talent wasn't locked down under the UFC's thumb.  Case and point: Bloody Elbow's 2009 Heavyweight rankings.

As you can see, the that half of that top ten fought outside of the UFC (Emelianenko, Arlovski, Barnett, and Sylvia fought for Affliction, while Overeem fought for DREAM); with the top three heavyweights on that list (Fedor, Arlovski, and Barnett) all coming from Affliction. Hell, the UFC didn't even have a monopoly on the top 25 as there was only 9 UFC fighters in that top 25.  So why would Fedor sign an exclusive contract with the UFC and fight only handful of the best heavyweights in the world, when he could co-promote with a DREAM/Strikeforce/Affliction/etc. with M-1 and still face quality competition?  Fedor had all the leverage in those negotiations and the UFC had none.  The only "leverage" Dana had was that he had the MMA media's ear in the U.S., during a time when the sport was experiencing an influx of new fans to the sport.  Therefore, he could shape how Fedor looked in the eyes of these new fans and diminish his opponents as being "lesser" because they weren't under the UFC banner; even though a decent number of those non-UFC fighters in that 2009 top 25 could beat any of the UFC heavyweights on that list.

* Edited at 10.11.2015, 3:11 PM ET *

"..."

Kinsalsa
Kinsalsa
  • Predictions:  360  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,772
  • Post Score: 129

10.11.2015 | 8:58 PM ET

@mikeyg How was it tarnish his career? I don't see your point. As GreenHornet553 said above. He went into fight two ranked fighters in the top 5, top 10 in Affliction, he wasn't fighting anybody, but two formidable opponents who happen to be two former UFC champions, and ranked fighters. Tim Sylvia was in the top 5 - top 10 range, and Arlovski was top 3, ranked #2 or #3 in most rankings. Both wins were great, especially the Arlovski  who left the UFC on a three fight winning streak and a five fight winning streak overall, and was top 2 at the time

"Endings are sad, beginnings are scary...but it's the middle that counts."

mikeyg
mikeyg

10.11.2015 | 9:22 PM ET

I think people are missing my point. I'm not talking about what he has done, I'm talking about what could have been. It's somewhat analogous to Anderson Silva popping for roids, it hasn't tarnished his career, but it will ruin his reputation for years to come. Maybe tarnish is a buzz word for people here and there perhaps is a better word I'm looking for. I'd soften it to a huge disappointment and question of character, for sure. Him deciding to fight cans and over the hill fighters when he said he wanted to fight the best, is a question of character for sure.
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,478  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

10.12.2015 | 5:43 AM ET

I disagree on Andersons legacy being tarnished. Some people who watch the events with me now have doubts about his whole career now.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

mikeyg
mikeyg

10.12.2015 | 6:40 AM ET

Again, it's not necessarily that it tarnishes what they did or if he has been the whole time, but let's be real, a large number of MMA fighters is or has used some kind of PED in the past. And to me, I don't care too much, and it doesn't take away from what he did for me. He still had a massive amount of skill, clean or not, the roids don't give you skill, just the ability to stay injury free longer.
yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

10.13.2015 | 11:51 AM ET

As far as I'm concerned Fedor has done all the competitive work and his legacy is iron clad. If someone wants to pay him $2.5 mil to fight I see it as a "more Fedor for me" bonus and he can fight a broomstick for all I care.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

10.13.2015 | 2:56 PM ET

Fedor is Roy Jones Jr-ing it baby 

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

Follow The Money
Follow The Money
  • Predictions:  5,951  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,031
  • Post Score: 150

10.13.2015 | 2:59 PM ET

Honestly it's as simple as this.  If you want to watch him fight again watch it. If not don't. Life goes on.

Page 4

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Masvidal ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, But First...
  • Jits Magazine : ADXC 4: Ffion Davies And Morgan Black Face Each Other In The Grappling Co-Main Event
  • Jits Magazine : Stacked Tournaments Confirmed For Midwest Finishers 18
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 Results: Koreshkov vs. Umalatov
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: ‘I Decide Who, When, And Where’
  • MMA Mania : Muhammad Goes Off On Edwards And ‘Fakest Team I’ve Ever Seen’
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia has skill set to compete with Devin Haney. Does he have mindset?
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway mocks Ilia Topuria’s demands for potential fight; Topuria responds
  • MMA Junkie : Henry Cejudo: Bo Nickal needs to hold his horses, 'maybe 10 fights away from possibly becoming UFC champion'
  • MMA Mania : Frenemies? ‘I Hate To See A Fighter Lose His Confidence’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 weigh-in results: Welterweights, featherweights set in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : ‘When I Was Your Age, I Already Had Title Defenses, Buddy’
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia fight card
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Belal Muhammad Claims He ‘Hates Leon Edwards’ Guts,’ Hopes To Dethrone The Welterweight King In Manchester
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Says He’s ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, Wants Logan Paul Or Floyd Mayweather Jr In Boxing After Nate Diaz
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Suggests Herb Dean Played a Part in Jamahal Hill’s UFC 300 Loss, ‘Big’ John McCarthy Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway responds to the 'un-BMF' demands from UFC champ Ilia Topuria
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Eddie Hearn says things about to get real for Ryan Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Hearn says things about to get real for Garcia
  • MMA Mania : PFL Chicago Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!