Topic: Benson Henderson

Ben Henderson: Can I get a "Hell Yeah"?!

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

themysticalninja
themysticalninja
  • Predictions:  1,219  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,725
  • Post Score: 123

08.15.2011 | 7:28 AM ET

In the lead up to the Miller vs Henderson fight, many MMA outlets were all "Jim Miller this" and "Jim Miller that". Nothing wrong with this and in a sense it was understandable; Miller was very respected for his work ethic towards MMA and had only been beaten by two of the very best at Lightweight. But Ben Henderson was getting lost in the Miller hype, not getting a fair shake of the media spotlight. A man who, until today, was best known for being on the wrong end of a infamous kick rather then being a fine WEC Lightweight Champion.

Then Henderson did what 99 per cent of  the MMA community thought would never happen - yes even those who picked him - he dominated Miller. Sure teh first round was pretty close but from Round 2, it was Bendo time and he reminded everyone just how overall good he is.

Ben Henderson is still young and improving. That Petis loss wasn't a fluke but Henderson was slightly less the fighter he is becoming now (plus it was pretty close untill that infamous kick). Henderson showed tonight that he is here to stay and now it's time for the MMA community to realise this and give him some props.

Can I get a Hell Yeah?!

"Go get some Donald CER-ROE-NAY!" - Greg Jackson

"Smooth" Benson Henderson

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Name: Benson Henderson
  • Pro MMA Record: 30-12-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: Smooth
  • Current Streak: 1 Loss
  • Last Fight: March 10, 2023 in BFC
  • Weight Class: Lightweight | Last Weigh-In: 154.6 lbs
  • Affiliation: MMA Lab
  • Height: 5'9" (175cm) | Reach: 70.0" (178cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $1,471,000 USD
  • Born: Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
  • Fighting out of: Glendale, Arizona
  • College: Dana College
  • Foundation Style: N/A
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

08.15.2011 | 7:30 AM ET

Hell Yeah!!! He was pretty impressive last night

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

08.15.2011 | 7:39 AM ET

This was good for my fantasy team

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

skeet2b
skeet2b
  • Predictions:  8,330  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1,703
  • Post Score: 158

08.15.2011 | 8:09 AM ET

henderson definatly looked good last night, he was one of the only fights i picked right

"A true champion, face to face with his darkest hour, will do whatever it takes to rise above. A man fights, and fights, and then fights some more. Because surrender is death, and death is for *******"

ghostphantom563
ghostphantom563

08.15.2011 | 9:41 AM ET

I was one of the 30% who had Henderson to win. I felt like after the Pettis lost, which by the way Ben looked good in the beginning of that fight, everyone has acted like he's a bum fighter or a forgotten WEC talent. Keep in mind it was only 8 months ago that be was lightweight champion of the world (along with Edgar), submitting guys like Donald Cerrone (who is another guy I don't know why people were doubting).
SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

08.15.2011 | 10:38 AM ET

Bendo looks better and better lately...Think he'd beat Guida if the fight in a title eliminator pretty close to the same way he beat Miller...And I said in another thread if I was scoring that Bendo/Miller fight my card would have been 30-25 Bendo!

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

mmAPR0digy
mmAPR0digy
  • Predictions:  13,158  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,307
  • Post Score: 144

08.15.2011 | 11:08 AM ET

Bendo looked great last night.  I scored the fight 30-26.  I never expected him to dominate Miller like that.  I knew Bendo was a great fighter and this was going to be a great fight, but I just didn't expect him to demolish Miller like that.  I've got Bendo winning the title in 2012.  I also think they're setting up the Bendo vs Guida fight, or even the Bendo vs Cerrone III fight.

"I just want to be known as the best ever, is that too much to ask? - BJ Penn"

jersey0525
jersey0525
  • Predictions:  2,766  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,536
  • Post Score: 188

08.15.2011 | 12:02 PM ET

honestly..i gave miller the first round....sub attempt after close sub attempt, and bendo didnt do much damage that round..but rounds 2 and 3 were all gumby

"im an OT (ORIGINAL TAPOLOGIST), I used to write for cagepages.com. NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT LEFT HAND SHOT"

ACFMMA
ACFMMA

08.15.2011 | 12:34 PM ET

It was an exciting fight. Even though bendo has excellent sub defense, i held my breathe every time miller went for something, especially those leg locks cause those things are dangerous and can go from nothing to serious injury fast. Picking bendo was probably the only smart pick i made on this entire card.
poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

08.15.2011 | 12:35 PM ET

The leg lock was nasty I thought for sure that was gonna be the end of the fight can't believe he survived it, it looked like it was locked in. Big ups to Ben

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

xbassistdoodx
xbassistdoodx
  • Predictions:  2,546  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,218
  • Post Score: 104

08.15.2011 | 12:38 PM ET

I was never worried! I learned a lot about Bendo while he was in the WEC. 1)He can't be submitted, it's just impossible. 2)His chin is made of pure titanium. and 3)He is a champion caliber fighter.

And after last night, when he was caught in that kneebar, I learned another thing. 4)His calf muscle by itself is stronger than both of Jim Miller's arms.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" - Isaac Newton

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

08.15.2011 | 1:12 PM ET

its good to see that many people enjoyed and remembered the WEC glory days. That music that started off the show for WEC  sometimes gets in my head. anybody know the origins of it?
mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,476  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,786
  • Post Score: 180

08.15.2011 | 1:24 PM ET

Awesome performance by Henderson. Terrible fight IQ and/or inability to create scrambles or get up by Miller. I actually heard some recap say Henderson dominated the striking!!  Only because Miller was on the bottom when Bendo was striking. IMO if Miller had either focused more on TDD/abandoned sub attempts in favor of scrambles, he'd have fared much better. Perhaps Ben is just a better wrestler than Jim but it seemed like Miller was out to prove a point and he couldn't.

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

xbassistdoodx
xbassistdoodx
  • Predictions:  2,546  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,218
  • Post Score: 104

08.15.2011 | 1:26 PM ET

Bendo dominated that fight from beggining to end no matter where the fight took place!

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" - Isaac Newton

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

08.15.2011 | 1:34 PM ET

There was only one close sub attempt at that was the knee bar. The Kimora's were defended well and Bendo landed huge bombs after each one of Miller's sub attempts, not to mention we all saw how nasty Cerrone cranked on those limbs and Bendo didn't even grimice during them. The standing arm triangle was a cool attempt, but i can't recall anyone pulling off that sub from guard since jeremy horn way back in the day.....

Personally i was shocked in the fashion Henderson dominated Miller, i definately think he should fight Guida for the next title shot. Where that leaves Cerrone and Guillard is up in the air being 3 of those 4 are Team Jackson fighters.....

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : PGF World Season 6: Best Of Day 2
  • MMA Junkie : UFC champion Islam Makhachev not excited by potential Max Holloway matchup – not yet, at least
  • MMA Mania : Bull-Riding Cerrone ‘Rushed Into Surgery’
  • MMA Junkie : Ex-Bellator title challenger Alejandra Lara gets replacement opponent for Combate Global debut
  • MMAFighting.com : Caio Borralho questions why Paulo Costa can’t fix ‘basic’ mistake that led Robert Whittaker loss
  • MMA Mania : How, When To Buy Tickets For UFC 303
  • MMA Junkie : UFC champ Dricus Du Plessis on board with Jiri Prochazka moving to middleweight
  • Middle Easy : Anthony Smith is Blinded by His Own UFC Title Aspirations: ‘It’s Making Me a Worse Fighter’
  • Bad Left Hook : Morrell vs Kalajdzic and Cruz vs Moran set for Aug. 3
  • MMA Junkie : Cedric Doumbe gets new opponent for Bellator Champions Series in Paris
  • MMAFighting.com : Leon Edwards’ coach: Belal Muhammad ‘was looking for a way out’ in first fight
  • MMAFighting.com : Leon Edwards’ coach: Belal Muhammad was ‘was looking for a way out’ after eye poke in first fight
  • MMA Junkie : PFL signs Melissa Balic to multifight deal ahead of professional debut
  • UFC.com : Austin Hubbard Welcomes What Is Unpredictable
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Watch UFC Vegas 91 Media Day!
  • MMA Junkie : Video: 'UFC on ESPN 55: Nicolau vs. Perez' media day live stream
  • MMAFighting.com : Cedric Doumbe lands new opponent for Bellator Paris
  • MMA Junkie : Leon Edwards' coach expects Belal Muhammad next, says he 'was looking for a way out' in first fight
  • MMA Mania : ‘Bones’ Back In Camp
  • MMAFighting.com : Jon Jones returns to training for first time since suffering pectoral injury