Topic: McGregor vs. Mendes

McGregor vs. Mendes

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,554  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,505
  • Post Score: 60

06.30.2015 | 9:37 PM ET

This is the official discussion thread for McGregor vs. Mendes. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 6

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

07.11.2015 | 12:37 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Mendes   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

What's new, Dana is a ************* who wanted Aldo to fight McGreggor injured because he wants his cash cow Conor as champion.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 14 hours, and 21 minutes from now.
Gramz
Gramz
  • Predictions:  7,369  |  65.5%
  • Forum Posts:  337
  • Post Score: 232

07.11.2015 | 2:03 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Mendes   wrong Decision  

I just feel there is so much unknown about McGregor, even after 5 fights in the Octagon. I picked Mendes but that reach advantage might give him problems. You have to think the game plan is test McGregor's TDD and to see if Mendes can break him over the course of 5 rounds. Can't wait!

"My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud." - Henry Rollins

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,478  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

07.11.2015 | 9:02 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Mendes   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Mikeyg, same thing I was thinking.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

Mitch7
Mitch7
  • Predictions:  78,740  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  43
  • Post Score: 37

07.11.2015 | 9:34 AM ET

McGregor

Prediction: wrong Mendes   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

Does not surprise me for a minute that McGregor is modelling his look on some Canadian male model i.e.tattoo and facial hair,very weak Conor,very weak...
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,478  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

07.11.2015 | 9:49 AM ET

Today we finally get to see how a wrestler does against him.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

07.11.2015 | 10:32 AM ET

Prediction: correct McGregor   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

*edit nvm

* Edited at 07.11.2015, 10:35 AM ET *

"here I come to save the day"

rotojohn
rotojohn
  • Predictions:  237,422  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  238
  • Post Score: 280

07.11.2015 | 10:36 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Mendes   wrong Decision  

if you listen longer in the podcast he says that IV issue pushed back to October
flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,727  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,777
  • Post Score: 273

07.11.2015 | 10:46 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Mendes   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

LMAO at Conor trying to take Uriah down in the embedded episode and Uriah forcing him up against the wall. 

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

Xbalanque
Xbalanque
  • Predictions:  116  |  54.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: 0

07.11.2015 | 3:43 PM ET

Most of these can go either way easily
WorstPredictionMan
WorstPredictionMan
  • Predictions:  1,156  |  35.6%
  • Forum Posts:  343
  • Post Score: 675

07.11.2015 | 9:50 PM ET

Prediction: correct McGregor   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

Mendes vs. McGregor will come down to whoever have a better control of where the fight takes place and controlling distance. Many people are still skeptical about McGregor's talent being on par with his notoriety due to never facing a quality wrestler at the UFC level. McGregor’s takedown defense is a mystery to most people. But not only is Mendes the best wrestler McGregor will have faced, he's also the best striker he will have faced. McGregor focusing on takedown defense may lead to split second openings for Mendes to strike.

McGregor has a significant reach advantage. How well can McGregor utilize the jab and kicks to keep Mendes outside and how difficult will it be for Mendes to reach the pocket for hooks, uppercuts, clinching, and takedowns?

Based on all that, the most plausible outcome is tree rounds of both fighters virtually hugging and continuously suplexing each other… almost like an endless game of reverse leapfrog.  McGregor miraculously pulls off an inverted triangle choking Mendes to death. He then throws Mendes out of the Octagon like a bride at her wedding tossing the bouquet. Mendes' corpse from 30 feet up in the air unfortunately crashes into an inattentive spectator, reinjuring his ribs.

It’s the only outcome that makes sense.

* Edited at 07.11.2015, 10:49 PM ET *

"There goes WorstPredictionMan, the greatest predictor who ever lived."

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

07.12.2015 | 10:41 AM ET

Prediction: correct McGregor   correct KO/TKO   correct Round 2  

Seems legit ^

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

07.14.2015 | 3:08 PM ET

Well I haven't wanted to since he demolished Poirier but I'm starting to become a fan of McGregor. He backed up the **** talk and even predicted what round he would get the finish in! Thanks for the perfect McGregor!

He has officially beaten the 2nd toughest guy in the division in my opinion and did good surviving off his back to get up and lay that beat down. He seems to have some great power and I originally thought Aldo would take the fight now I have no idea who I will pick.

I bet the UFC was sweating though when Mendes was able to get him down!

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

loudenSwain
loudenSwain
  • Predictions:  15,071  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6,313
  • Post Score: 283

07.14.2015 | 3:43 PM ET

I'm curious how long you guys think Chads actually been training. The two week camp could've came into play but I doubt it. When you're a top 4 guy, like Chad and Edgar, and there's a huge $ title fight, with a guy who's known to pull out do to injury (no disrespect to Aldo at all), you're staying ready in the gym. Especially this Alpha Male types. 

The first round was a lot closer than people act. Chad was by no means rolling through that round. He landed some big shots, some takedowns and nice GnP.  But Connor didn't looked phased or hurt at all. Every time Connor landed a head or body shot Chad stepped back and took a breath. Those body shots took his wind and the head shots ******* hurt. It's his accuracy that's his deadliest weapon. That and his chin. 

Yea he was getting beat up in 2 after the GNP.  Again, he didn't look hurt or phased at all. When he stood up when Chad tried to transition from the choke, Chad still took the most damage, even tho he was in his way to winning the first two rounds. He got up weary and tired and hoping for a break. Connor knew he was down on points and did what greats do. Got serious and put the pressure on wearing fighter.   The whole time it was standing it simply looked like a matter of time. 

If it wasn't for the hype and hate no one would be calling fix here. Now Kimbo/Shamrock, that's worth the acquisition. 

* Edited at 07.14.2015, 3:46 PM ET *

"This is Prize-Fighting, IDGAF about your family or your problems - MassaBruce"

shanehanke
shanehanke
  • Predictions:  12,909  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  138
  • Post Score: 91

07.14.2015 | 11:02 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Mendes   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

Alas.... I I got my answer if McGregor deserved  to be there.  No question anymore  . YES!!!  

But for as many good awnsers, there is also some realistic bad awnsers.  And it's giving me a whole new perspective on the future Aldo vs MacGregor.   

Good, is he has the Mettle of a champion. Good is his durability. Good is his accuracy and power.  Good is his ability to stick to his strategy from horn to horn to end.  (his attack of snapping whirling kicks to the guts of Mendes.) i

Bad, is his stand up defense.  (collateral damage for clowning). Bad, is his take down defense.  Bad is his ground game.  Bad, is his facial structure, or cut resiliency.  (most Irish fighter's are notorious  bleeders). 
These are your BASIC  Pros and Cons...    
After watching MacGregor run into punch after punch, I'm afraid his fate is sealed.  He is Irish... And like many of the great boxing Irish before him over the past hundred years...he will ride to the top on pure tenacity, and take great beatings.. Give great wars to the fans... And then burn out before his time, due to his wreck less Irish style.  It's innate.  

"My Love for MMA.....Is a Noble Madness."

Follow The Money
Follow The Money
  • Predictions:  5,951  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,031
  • Post Score: 150

07.14.2015 | 11:26 PM ET

Prediction: correct McGregor   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

He's right.
Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

07.14.2015 | 11:48 PM ET

Prediction: correct McGregor   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

He taunts like Roy Jones Jr, but eats punches like Mark Hunt Jr.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

07.14.2015 | 11:55 PM ET

Prediction: correct McGregor   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

I wouldn't necessarily say his takedown defense is bad. Mendes was 4/7 on takedowns. The only person I can think of off the top of my head to consistently stuff Mendes' takedowns is Jose Aldo. I also wouldn't personally agree that he's a "bleeder" that elbow Mendes hit him with would have cut anyone open. Don't agree with him having bad striking defense either. I'm pretty sure he was willing to talk **** and counter Mendes in that fight. I thought his ground game looked at least competent. He managed to keep Mendes in his guard, never let him pass, and landed a few good elbows from the bottom, and was also able to get up fairly quickly from a few of Mendes' takedowns.

Edit: I think the fact of the matter is he brings a lot of tools into the octagon that a lot of guys don't have and have no one to help them train for. His striking accuracy and diversity is bordering on Anderson Silva level. He's also extremely big and long for the weight class, and brings an entire country of supporters behind him every time he steps into the octagon. His wrestling, takedown defense, and everything else people were questioning about him is good enough to get the job done. His composure and confidence are second to none, and on top of it all he just turned 27 years old today. I feel bad for you if you hate this kid, because he's not going anywhere for a long long time. Even if he can't beat Aldo, if he decides to stop making that extremely difficult weight cut he automatically becomes a problem at 155.

* Edited at 07.15.2015, 12:01 AM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 6 months, 10 hours, and 25 minutes from now.
shanehanke
shanehanke
  • Predictions:  12,909  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  138
  • Post Score: 91

07.15.2015 | 1:38 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Mendes   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

Good enough to get the job done, is not  very positive reference.  
But I understand your point... I would say his tenacity got the job done against Mendes.  I didn't see any attempt at all for any kind of submission on the ground.  Mendes did pass his guard twice.  And 4 of them 7 take down attempts in the first round, in which Mendes landed 3. 

Of course Mendes was fresh in the first round.... And as  in his fight with Nick Lentz.... Mendes was 7/10 takedowns.  Lentz stuffed Mendes  1/4  in the third..  So Mendes fades on his attempts in fights. 

Anyhow.... Im just not convinced.  Doesnt mean MacGregor can't get better... He will I hope.  But twisting, bucking, and flailing from his back is what a regular joe  does.... I'd like to see him at least learn to throw up a leg Triangle or something. 

I'm a MacGregor fan.... But you can't use "the force hand wave"  to make me see what's not there. 

"My Love for MMA.....Is a Noble Madness."

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

07.15.2015 | 1:53 AM ET

He didn't really twist and flail. He held Mendes in guard and threw strikes from bottom; basically what Anderson Silva used to do with an occasional triangle attempt. You're not gonna catch a guy like Mendes in a sub like that, especially early in the fight. 

Conor's TDD was okay. He was over-extending himself looking for the finish and was fighting a guy many consider to be the best MMA wrestler in the UFC other than DC. 

He's going to beat Aldo and Frankie, then he's heading to 155. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

07.15.2015 | 11:51 AM ET

I think part of Conor's TDD looking like it did for a few reasons:

Firstly, unlike Aldo, who's worried about gassing out if he's taken down, Conor accepts it more easily (not that I think he could thwart Chad like Aldo, but still better than he did), he doesn't look at a takedown as a fight ender, he flows with it and keeps fighting.

Secondly, I truly believe Conor has fought his last two fight on fumes. He's been worked like a maniac between fights, during camp, during fight week and weight cut. He'll never admit it, but he's been looking very fragile compared to his usual self in the last two.

Now the reason he didn't fight like a maniac to get up or throw submissions was because he knew that you're not going to get up easily nor submit Chad easily but you are going to expend a lot of energy trying to do so, while as if you wait on the bottom, make the other guy work and wait for your opening, you're the one with more left in you when you get in. Of course, that strategy can only work if you're supremely confident that you won't get finished while on your back (he is) and if you know you're not going to the judges (he does).

I think he did look a bit wild and lethargic after the first exchange and I believe his grappling is much better than it seemed in that fight (he handled Holloway way easier than NCAA standout Bermudez on a torn ACL, his TD of Siver was masterful technique-wise for example). I really hope he doesn't do the McMansion thing again before the fight with Aldo. He should do his media obligations in spurts and train at SBG where his schedule is mainly fight-camp related.

And he should let Dana know that during fight week he's going to need to cut weight like a fighter, not a circus clown. The heavy portion of promoting a fight is done before the fight not at fight week. That's when the fighters need to cut weight and zone in mentally. Let's not forget that even though the lines have been blurred, the fight is still more important than the build-up.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Page 6

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 live results (7 p.m. ET): Welterweights, featherweights in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : Masvidal ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, But First...
  • MMAFighting.com : Devin Haney vs. Ryan Garcia weigh-in video at 2 p.m. ET.
  • Jits Magazine : ADXC 4: Ffion Davies And Morgan Black Face Each Other In The Grappling Co-Main Event
  • Jits Magazine : Stacked Tournaments Confirmed For Midwest Finishers 18
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 Results: Koreshkov vs. Umalatov
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: ‘I Decide Who, When, And Where’
  • MMA Mania : Muhammad Goes Off On Edwards And ‘Fakest Team I’ve Ever Seen’
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia has skill set to compete with Devin Haney. Does he have mindset?
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway mocks Ilia Topuria’s demands for potential fight; Topuria responds
  • MMA Junkie : Henry Cejudo: Bo Nickal needs to hold his horses, 'maybe 10 fights away from possibly becoming UFC champion'
  • MMA Mania : Frenemies? ‘I Hate To See A Fighter Lose His Confidence’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 weigh-in results: Welterweights, featherweights set in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : ‘When I Was Your Age, I Already Had Title Defenses, Buddy’
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia fight card
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Belal Muhammad Claims He ‘Hates Leon Edwards’ Guts,’ Hopes To Dethrone The Welterweight King In Manchester
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Says He’s ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, Wants Logan Paul Or Floyd Mayweather Jr In Boxing After Nate Diaz
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Suggests Herb Dean Played a Part in Jamahal Hill’s UFC 300 Loss, ‘Big’ John McCarthy Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway responds to the 'un-BMF' demands from UFC champ Ilia Topuria
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Eddie Hearn says things about to get real for Ryan Garcia