Topic: McGregor vs. Mendes

McGregor vs. Mendes

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,582  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,524
  • Post Score: 60

06.30.2015 | 9:37 PM ET

This is the official discussion thread for McGregor vs. Mendes. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 2

jodybanman
jodybanman
  • Predictions:  3,332  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,707
  • Post Score: 237

07.01.2015 | 3:09 AM ET

Prediction: correct McGregor   wrong Submission   wrong Round 4  

Florian and Jung got title shots when there was a dearth of logical title challengers, McGregor was getting his when there were people that should have been ahead of him.  McGregor's win over holloway is impressive, but more so in hindsight as Holloway has won 6 straight since and has continually improved.  At the time he was coming off of a loss. Poirier is a very good fighter but he wasn't top ten at 145.  Neither was Holloway at the time.  Edgar and Mendes have both fought and beaten a higher calibur of opponent.

Even the most ardent McGregor fan would have to admit that fighting Dennis Siver in a title eliminator is a joke when both Edgar and Mendes were beating top ten guys and both had had extremely close fights with the champion.  A fight with either would have made sense, but the UFC gave Conor a free pass.

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  31,978  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972
  • Post Score: 195

07.01.2015 | 7:18 AM ET

Prediction: correct McGregor   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Who should actually be ahead of Conor? Edgar? Edgar already had a shot. Mendes just had his second of two shots. It's not like they fed everyone at welterweight to Jon Fitch instead of letting them challenge GSP(And McGregor's opponents before his title shot >>> Dan Hardy's).

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

07.01.2015 | 7:30 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Mendes   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

It has been obvious from the beginning that Dana wanted Conor to fight for the title. Siver just lost to Kawajiri so that makes Conor's win over him worth even less.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

07.01.2015 | 8:51 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Mendes   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Yeah^ make no mistake, Dana really wants to wrap a good strap around Connor's waist.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 4 days, 19 hours, and 5 minutes from now.
yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

07.01.2015 | 9:43 AM ET

Prediction: correct McGregor   correct KO/TKO   correct Round 2  

@jodybanman, Poirier was ranked 5-6 according to UFC.com's rankings (depending what day you read the rankings on) at the time he fought Conor.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

07.01.2015 | 9:58 AM ET

All the more reason to want him to lose.  The thing is that Dana acts like he is not favoring him.

Follow The Money
Follow The Money
  • Predictions:  5,951  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,031
  • Post Score: 150

07.01.2015 | 12:43 PM ET

This is a way easier fight to predict than Aldo/McGregor.  

Can Mendes can get the takedown or not?
slamdistraction
slamdistraction
  • Predictions:  702  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  249
  • Post Score: 117

07.01.2015 | 1:27 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Mendes   wrong Submission   wrong Round 4  

Damn yossi, this McGregor story stays producing intrigue, don't you think?

"Beating people up is a positive thing –Tank Abbott"

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

07.01.2015 | 1:33 PM ET

Most definitely :)

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

07.01.2015 | 2:14 PM ET

I think the X-factor in this fight is the fact that Mendes does little to no damage on the ground. He's a great wrestler that turns into a turtle when he gets a TD. If he can't get Conor down, it's a striking match. Mendes is likely faster, but is out-reached and out-skilled. If he can get Conor down, he'd better pray he can keep doing it for five rounds.

* Edited at 07.01.2015, 2:14 PM ET *

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Follow The Money
Follow The Money
  • Predictions:  5,951  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,031
  • Post Score: 150

07.01.2015 | 3:05 PM ET

Yeah it all depends on if he can wrestle**** conor or not.  We really don't know.
Kuma
Kuma
  • Predictions:  40,025  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,845
  • Post Score: 210

07.01.2015 | 3:29 PM ET

Prediction: correct McGregor   wrong Decision  

I really don't care tbh.I say move it back a month so Chad can be in top'ish shape or just let Aldo heal and put it on.Anyway you cut it it'll be one guy peaking for the fight of his life vs a guy on one week notice that thought there was a chance he could fight.I think it's stupid the UFC held back on announcing this and making it an interim is just ******* stupid.Dana White- "we would never be like boxing" .I knew this fight wouldn't go down,Aldo fights rarely happen.
giosanti
giosanti
  • Predictions:  1,464  |  66.1%
  • Forum Posts:  340
  • Post Score: 131

07.02.2015 | 5:41 AM ET

I only really picked Conor to beat Aldo because I wanted him to win. I was split on the fight, slightly favoring Aldo, but not by much. I can't pick Conor over Mendes though. The wrestling threat is a big deal, and I think that combined with Chad's power will decide the fight. Hope I'm wrong though.

I was probably more interested in Aldo/McGregor than any UFC fight in history, so I was gutted when the news came out (both times). But this is obviously still a great fight, and will possibly answer more questions about Conor's style and skills than the Aldo fight would have.

"I'm what counts out here. You only exist out here because of me."

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

07.02.2015 | 6:51 AM ET

We have not seen if Conor folds under pressure. Mendes can surely put that on him.

cal1
cal1
  • Predictions:  22,053  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,001
  • Post Score: 251

07.02.2015 | 7:41 PM ET

Prediction: correct McGregor   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

He doesn't fold when under pressure he counters and ktfo 

"UFC 151 NEVER FORGET"

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

07.02.2015 | 7:43 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Mendes   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 5  

@Cal1's back! 

"..."

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

07.02.2015 | 9:25 PM ET

I should note that, while I'm picking and rooting for McGregor, I do think this fight is amazing because I do not know what will happen. I could easily see the haters being right when it comes to the elite wrestler question, but my gut tells me Conor can handle it. 

Should be fun to find out, and if Conor wins, it makes the inevitable Aldo fight even more exciting.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

boredoms
boredoms
  • Predictions:  47,181  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,267
  • Post Score: 236

07.02.2015 | 9:29 PM ET

Its like DC vs Rumble. Its the best possible substitute fight they could have made.

"I am trained in gorilla warfare" - Stay Ready

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,326  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,484
  • Post Score: 203

07.03.2015 | 12:17 AM ET

I hate the circumstances of this fight.The favortism shown towards McGregor is gross. It bothers me to no end how badly the UFC just wants to push Aldo out the door for Conor, all because he can talk a little. One of the P4P GOAT's in Jose Also, and he gets **** on for getting hurt. The UFC tries to pay him some more money to fight hurt, simply in hopes that Conor would become champion. Now, as for the Mendes fight as a whole, I like it I guess. Edgar deserved the spot over Mendes, but hey, I think both beat Conor. Also, this fight headlining over Lawler/MacDonald II is laughable. 

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

07.03.2015 | 12:26 AM ET

McGregor has become a backwards Reebok and UFC shill. 

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Elijah Dorsey To Challenge Max Hanson For Welterweight Title At Enigma Invitational 15
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Buckley Lands UFC St. Louis Co-Main Vs. Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 91 Odds, Under Dogs And Best Bets!
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Just continue being the best’: Crawford looks forward to upcoming title fight with Madrimov
  • MMA Mania : Doumbe Gets New Opponent For Bellator Paris
  • MMA Junkie : Terence Crawford vs. Israil Madrimov official; Isaac Cruz, Andy Ruiz Jr. on undercard
  • Middle Easy : Chris Weidman Compares Alex Pereira’s Wrestling To Ben Askren’s Striking: ‘Such A Deficiency’
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Would Step In The Fire With Pereira And He Knows That’
  • MMA Junkie : Matheus Nicolau done with Manel Kape bookings, focused on title shot after UFC on ESPN 55 headliner
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight card: Perry vs. Alves
  • Middle Easy : ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone Tears Bicep ‘Off the Bone’ While Preparing to Ride Dana White’s Prized Bull
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Spann claims he hasn't watched tape on Bogdan Guskov ahead of UFC on ESPN 55 co-main bout
  • MMA Mania : Keep $300K Bonuses! ‘It Can’t Go Back’
  • MMAFighting.com : Joaquin Buckley vs. Nursulton Ruziboev announced for UFC St. Louis co-headliner
  • MMA Junkie : Joaquin Buckley gets UFC on ESPN 56 co-main assignment vs. Nursulton Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : Pereira = ... Askren? ‘It’s Weird To See’
  • MMAFighting.com : Cain Velasquez attempted murder trial set to begin in September
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo confirms UFC 301 final fight on contract, hints at boxing match at Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Run it back, give fans a fair fight’: Devin Haney on Ryan Garcia loss
  • UFC.com : Alexandre Pantoja | TUF Beginnings