Topic: Off Topic

Tapology Talks: Books

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

03.09.2015 | 5:07 PM ET

Here you go Griffy! Let's talk books!

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

Responses Page 6

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

03.12.2015 | 11:35 AM ET

@buffalo, how do you like Wolves? And like @shot said, don't worry about the ending. Just like any long running series (tv or book) the ending will be controversial. Some will love it, some will hate it. 

"Frig off, bud"

psychicdeath
psychicdeath
  • Predictions:  38,296  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,198

03.12.2015 | 4:21 PM ET

Crap.  Terry Pratchett died today.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-31858156

"I shall not cause harm to any vehicle nor the personal contents thereof, nor through inaction let that vehicle or the personal contents thereof come to harm. It's what I call the Repo Code, kid. "

michigandolphin
michigandolphin

03.12.2015 | 4:23 PM ET

:(

"Frig off, bud"

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

03.12.2015 | 5:21 PM ET

no way! that is sad news. Wolves is aight. My favorite has been the second book; The Drawing of the the Three. What a wild ride that was. 

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

03.12.2015 | 11:10 PM ET

@griffy

@Franklin880088, I disagree, while the battle itself does not prove he was the best it is unfortunately the only battle we have of him fighting in, that is described in the Song of Ice and Fire books. It does support it; the battle was 7-3, with Dayne being the last Kingsguard alive. It may have been 3 knights of the Kingsguard, but the 7 were 3 Lords and 4 Knights.  There are more reasons why I believe him to be the best...

Yes, it was seven verses 3 which is true. However two of those three where legendary warriors. The third of those three was a highly skilled fighter, while the 7 outside ned, where not known for their fighting abilities and really there little evidence that they were much better than average fighters. 

“- He wielded the legendary sword called Dawn, a sword with House Dayne and the only sword in the Seven Kingdoms that given to a worthy knight of a certain House; most were given through lordships. If no knight was worthy during a period the sword was not given.”

How does this prove he the best fighter? This just means he was the most worthy of his house, which just means he was the best fighter of his family. That not really evidence of anything, that more a given. If Barristan family had a sword given for the same reason he would have gotten it.

I think these feat’s by barristan are both more impressive.  He winning to separate tournaments which involved directly fighting skill.

“Defended the passage against all challengers in the tourney of the Silver Bridge.”-White book

“ Victor in the mêlée at Maidenpool”-White Book

"- You have multiple sources saying that he was the deadliest knight during King Aeyrs II reign, a time when Barriston was as a member of the Kingsguard.”

I fail to see these multiple sources. Ive read the book and I don’t recall this at all.

"- "The finest knight I ever saw was Ser Arthur Dayne, who fought with a blade called Dawn, forged from the heart of a fallen star." - Ned Stark”"

Being the finest knight is not being the best fighter. Being a knight is far beyond just one prowess in fighting. Ned actually straight up states Barristan in his youth was the best sword fighter he  has ever seen.

“barristan selmy in his youth was the finest swordmen in all the seven kingdoms”- Ned Stark

“- "I learned from Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning, who could have slain all five of you with his left hand while he was taking a piss with the right" - Jamie Lannister”

Impressive, but again barristan completely out does this when he straight up threatens joffery and states how easily he could kill the kings guard. This is at 61 years old mind you. Also not one person in the room including the hound disagrees with this assessment.

“Even now I could carve the seven of you like dagger through cheese”-Barristin

"- "Most famous of all [wielders of the Sword of the Morning] was Ser Arthur Dayne, the deadlist of King Aerys II's Kingsguard..." - Page 239 The World of Ice & Fire”"

This is not even part of the main series. It also written by 4 other people and also it directly stated to contradict and have inaccurate information like many history books. It written to read like a history book, it information is to be taken with grain of salt. It good reference book, but nothing in it should be taken as fact, due to the very nature of it conception. Also being the dealisted does not make you the best fighter either, especially when you have a special sword capable of cutting through normal blades

Also a perfect example of barristan out doing Dayne is both there fights with the smiling knight.  Which is the one common opponent that they both share. So it is by far in my opinion the best way to judge their abilities in comparison to one another.

Dayne has a drawn out duel with the smiling knight, which he keeps having to let the Smiling knight pick up a new blade because his sword dawn keeps damaging the smiling knights sword during their prolonged duel. (if you don’t remember this scene I can find the quote, but I was being lazy).Dayne ends up winning the match after prolonged battle and killing the smiling knight. Which is impressive for sure, but not as impressive as barristan fight with him. Barristan on the other end  stormed the  Kingswood brotherhoods single handily to save lady swan.  Which he successfully did and during which he defeated the smiling knight amoung others.

““Rescued Lady Jeyne Swann and her septa from the Kingswood Brotherhood, defeating Simon Toyne and the Smiling Knight, and slaying the former.”

* Edited at 03.12.2015, 11:49 PM ET *

"here I come to save the day"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

03.12.2015 | 11:16 PM ET

Also should be noted that Dayne had Dawn during all of his feats which is a large advantage over almost anyone he fights due to the swords durability.

Barristan accomplished all of his feats with normal swords, and even defeated people with daggers as well as with a walking stick. Which to date I have not seen anyone in the books do anything more impressive then Barristan defeating an assassin who had slayed 100 men in combat with a walking stick, while the assassin had a sword, and barristan was 61 years old at the time and he accomplished this feat utter ease.

Though I like to note that even though I think barristan is the best fighter of the series, because Dayne has Dawn, a fight between the two is anyone's game.

@Griffy

Hey thanks for info about ebay and the collector reference guide. I def need to grab one of those, because i can never tell what something is worth. I never thought to use ebay for historical artifacts, but that is a good idea. I am going to have to check that out. I am also planning to get that book Jack Churchhills brother wrote, and i will let u know how it is, once I finish it.

@prior

I agree about dragon lance. I always wanted them to make a movie. They did an anime if it, but it was awful. You should also check out RA Salvatore, the legend of drizzt series. If you like dragon lance, but wish there was more action, that is the book series to read.

* Edited at 03.12.2015, 11:34 PM ET *

"here I come to save the day"

theMMAmessiah
theMMAmessiah
  • Predictions:  7,993  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  8,433
  • Post Score: 103

03.15.2015 | 9:04 PM ET

@franklin

Barristan says himself that Dayne would beat him. So I don't know why you keep trying to argue that point. 

But anyway onto a seperate topic.

What are Quaithe's and Melisandre's end games? And more importantly, who are they?

One of them is absolutely without doubt Shiera Seastar, I go back in forth between who I think it is, I lean towards Quaithe since they both have dual colored eyes among other reasons, but before I go more in depth I want to hear other's thoughts. 
michigandolphin
michigandolphin

03.15.2015 | 11:19 PM ET

Why without a doubt? I think there is quite a bit of doubt personally, but am curious your other reasons.

"Frig off, bud"

theMMAmessiah
theMMAmessiah

03.16.2015 | 12:57 AM ET

Well the first and foremost reason is I think there are a lot of subtle clues as well as facts that point to Aegon the Unworthy's Great Bastards are super important in the world of Westeros. 

You have Aegor Rivers aka Bittersteel, who founded the Golden Company the greatest sellsword company in the world.

You have Bloodraven who is still alive and has his foot print all over the North with his greenseeing.

You have Daemon Blackfyre, who was not only one of the greatest warriors ever, but his descendants are the cornerstone of Varys plan I'm quite certain.

Then you have Shiera, who has barely been mentioned throughout the whole story, but what was mentioned about her is that she was obsessed with staying young and beautiful and disappeared.

Well, Quatihe's knowledge of past and future suggests that she's very old and has supernatural abilities. Then you have Melisandre who showed up out of nowhere and is obviously glamoured and doesn't look like she actually portrays herself.

Finally Shiera and Bloodraven were in love, and if my Shiera=Melisandre theory is true, then you basically have these two lovers as the orchestrators of each side of the conflict. Bloodraven with the Others/Ice and Melisandre with Dragons/Fire
buffalo ben
buffalo ben

03.16.2015 | 8:53 AM ET

Have you heard the theory that Howland Reed is the High Sparrow? Do you buy it?

* Edited at 03.16.2015, 8:54 AM ET *

michigandolphin
michigandolphin

03.16.2015 | 10:49 AM ET

@messiah, I think that is interesting but I don't know if that proves either Quathe or Mel is Sheria. Definitely could be, but I think some of that is stretching.

@Ben, that's a fun theory too. I really bought in at first, but now I'm not so sure. Alt + Shift + X is ******* awesome though. 

"Frig off, bud"

theMMAmessiah
theMMAmessiah

03.16.2015 | 11:44 AM ET

I'm fairly certain that Howland Reed is not the High Septon. 
buffalo ben
buffalo ben

03.16.2015 | 11:56 AM ET

what are the reasons against the HS=HR theory? I'm convinced that the Hound is still alive, and I don't believe that Tyrion is actually half Targaryen. I can't think of any other disputed theories at the moment. 

michigandolphin
michigandolphin

03.16.2015 | 1:46 PM ET

Grand Northern Conspiracy anyone?

"Frig off, bud"

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051

06.09.2015 | 12:02 PM ET

Hey guys, 

Had my second feature published with Topless Robot this morning. 

I think you'll enjoy it. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051

07.26.2016 | 11:19 AM ET

Hey peeps. 

So, I've been working on a book for the last year and a half. Releasing it August 16. Here's the cover and synopsis:

Synopsis:

"For hundreds of years, the flame-wielding Embers have been the last line of defense against the nightmare creatures from the World Apart, but the attacks are getting worse. Kole Reyna guards Last Lake from the terrors of the night, but he fears for his people’s future.

When Kole is wounded by a demon unlike any they have seen before, the Emberfolk believe it is a sign of an ancient enemy returned, a powerful Sage known as the Eastern Dark. 

Kole has never trusted in prophecy, but with his people hanging on the precipice, he reluctantly agrees to lead the Valley’s greatest warriors in a last desperate bid for survival. Together, they will risk everything in search of a former ally long-thought dead, and whether Kole trusts him or not, he may be the only one capable of saving them."

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232

07.26.2016 | 1:25 PM ET

Sounds interesting! Good luck!

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,476  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,786
  • Post Score: 180

07.26.2016 | 1:36 PM ET

Wierd, and a damn shame that I'd never seen this thread.

I've only read Cujo, The Stand, and the Dark Tower series by King. COMPLETELY let down by the end of that. Cujo the book is really good and the movie sucked. Typical. And I really liked The Stand.

While there a few things that make Game of Thrones better than ASOIAF, overall the books are much better imo BUT that's all depending on how and even if, it ends. GRRM is one sloooooow MF.

Oh, and I didn't see any mention of Patrick Rothfuss' "The Kingkiller Chronicles". 2 main books and a smaller companion out so far. Haven't read the smaller one yet but "The Name of the Wind" and "The Wise Man's Fear" are both good so far although I'm pessimistic about the end of long series since The Dark Tower. Still holding out hope though.

* Edited at 07.26.2016, 1:41 PM ET *

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

07.26.2016 | 1:50 PM ET

Outside of my books for school, I have been currently reading Christopher Hitchens' God is not Great.  It is a fantastic book.

"..."

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

07.26.2016 | 1:54 PM ET

BTW, awesome for you @skelliher.  Hope that your book does well.

* Edited at 07.26.2016, 1:55 PM ET *

"..."

Page 6

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 Results: Koreshkov vs. Umalatov
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: ‘I Decide Who, When, And Where’
  • MMA Mania : Muhammad Goes Off On Edwards And ‘Fakest Team I’ve Ever Seen’
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia has skill set to compete with Devin Haney. Does he have mindset?
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway mocks Ilia Topuria’s demands for potential fight; Topuria responds
  • MMA Junkie : Henry Cejudo: Bo Nickal needs to hold his horses, 'maybe 10 fights away from possibly becoming UFC champion'
  • MMA Mania : Frenemies? ‘I Hate To See A Fighter Lose His Confidence’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 weigh-in results: Welterweights, featherweights set in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : ‘When I Was Your Age, I Already Had Title Defenses, Buddy’
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia fight card
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Belal Muhammad Claims He ‘Hates Leon Edwards’ Guts,’ Hopes To Dethrone The Welterweight King In Manchester
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Says He’s ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, Wants Logan Paul Or Floyd Mayweather Jr In Boxing After Nate Diaz
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Suggests Herb Dean Played a Part in Jamahal Hill’s UFC 300 Loss, ‘Big’ John McCarthy Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway responds to the 'un-BMF' demands from UFC champ Ilia Topuria
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Eddie Hearn says things about to get real for Ryan Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Hearn says things about to get real for Garcia
  • MMA Mania : PFL Chicago Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Relive every win of Conor McGregor’s epic UFC career
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Strickland vs. Paulo Costa: Odds and what to know ahead of UFC 302 co-headliner
  • MMA Mania : No Foul Play! ‘The Cutman Used A Boxing Technique’