Topic: Off Topic

Tapology Talks: Books

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

03.09.2015 | 5:07 PM ET

Here you go Griffy! Let's talk books!

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

Responses Page 4

theMMAmessiah
theMMAmessiah
  • Predictions:  7,993  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  8,433
  • Post Score: 103

03.11.2015 | 6:09 PM ET

The wights would have to come down to some Old Testament type of vengeance. Nothing in this world is truly noble, there's always those shades of gray. I just subscribe to the fact that the old gods that the north worships but no one else does are the others.
buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

03.11.2015 | 6:10 PM ET

Oberyn is clearly the most skilled combatant, but his fight IQ leaves something to be desired. His desire for ultimate revenge allowed the possibility of failure in his duel with The Mountain. The better choice would have been to kill his opponent early in the battle and not gamble his life in an attempt to gain a more satisfying victory. 

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

buffalo ben
buffalo ben

03.11.2015 | 6:11 PM ET

I see. I also think that Jon and Samwell's luck and success while north of the wall is due in no small way to the fact that they swore their vows to the old gods.

* Edited at 03.11.2015, 6:17 PM ET *

theMMAmessiah
theMMAmessiah

03.11.2015 | 6:16 PM ET

An observation I had not thought of, bravo sir. And yes, the way that Oberyn so easily outclassed Gregor puts him head and shoulders above everyone else when it comes to show canon. Just the look on Jaimes face of pure disbelief should be enough to convince someone of that.
theMMAmessiah
theMMAmessiah

03.11.2015 | 6:19 PM ET

I also believe that a Dayne was the first Azor Ahai and that Dawn was once Lightbringer. 

I  steadfast in this regard and is the ONE thing that makes me question whether or not R+L=J is truth. 
buffalo ben
buffalo ben

03.11.2015 | 6:28 PM ET

Wait. Azor Ahai killed his lover as a sacrifice to unleash the power of his sword and the blessing of R´hlor,- like some anti-hero from a Michael Moor**** novel- right? But Arthur Dayne was a knight of the kingsguard. If he had a lover i certainly missed that detail. 

* Edited at 03.11.2015, 6:29 PM ET *

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051

03.11.2015 | 6:28 PM ET

Finished this bad-boy (1,150 pages) last night. 

King is a master at setting the tone and this one was no exception. Great characterization, a compelling villain, creepily realistic. However, while I'm not as harsh on the ending as some, aspects of it bothered me. There was one character in particular whose character arc sort of fizzled at the end, where it was being set up for an epic moment. It felt rushed, and since King can spend 30 pages describing one character's bad dream, he should have devoted more than 10 pages to the grand finale. 

King's prose is descriptive and highly readable, but this is one of his earlier novels (1978) and it shows. 

That said, it's a worthwhile read for anyone in the genre. 

Story: 7/10
Characters: 8/10
Execution: 6/10

Overall: 7/10

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

theMMAmessiah
theMMAmessiah

03.11.2015 | 6:33 PM ET

@ben Arthur Dayne doesn't have anything to do with what I said really. The facts are this. 

Dawn is the one sword in the world that is better than a valyrian sword. 

The war in question is referred to as "the long night" what happens after a long night? Dawn.

Basically I believe that the "sword of the morning" position was originally created as a passing along of the person who would be the hero if the WW returned, but over thousands of years that true meaning was lost and it just became a title. 

See elio garcias youtube video on the subject for more clarity.
buffalo ben
buffalo ben

03.11.2015 | 6:38 PM ET

Oh i'm sorry. You said a Dayne as in an unspecified ancestor. My mistake. I had noticed the similarities betweend awn and Lightbringer, but i figured it was just two versions of the same legend, kind of like Sampson and Hercules, to show how oral history changed regionally. This kind of think is what lends the story the level of verisimilitude that makes it so hard to tell what's real and what's legend, and what's simply a lie. 

* Edited at 03.11.2015, 6:42 PM ET *

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

03.11.2015 | 6:43 PM ET

@Shot I hadn't read it before, but I loved it, as an Asimov fan the ending was kind of foreseeable but I enjoyed it a lot, it reminded me of this much much shorter story.  He is by far my favorite sci fi author, his foundation saga it's ******* amazing, I heard somwehere that they are working it into a series of movies, I hope they do a better job than with Ender's game, as a movie is not bad, but it horribly fail to transmit the emotions of the character in the book, and it just didn't got to me.

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

shot2thesac
shot2thesac
  • Predictions:  20,255  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  3,306
  • Post Score: 137

03.11.2015 | 6:55 PM ET

Yeah, it is a bit predictable, and yet, it's still totally enjoyable.  Glad I could share something with you that you hadn't read yet.  Asimov has so much stuff, I probably haven't read all of it yet either.  And, I love the foundation series.  As far as Orson Scott-Card, I still haven't read his latest Ender Novel but it's next on my list when I get the chance.  The Ender's game move was ehh for me too.  But if they make Foundation into a series of movies, that would be awesome, only if they are good of course, but then, I watched a lot of crappy Dune movies they made and didn't complain too much.

"#KnockersSucsk -- Gaycism is wrong -- Everything is YOSSholm"

shot2thesac
shot2thesac

03.11.2015 | 6:57 PM ET

If you enjoyed that, @Skel, you should read the Dark Tower books, LOTS more Flagg.  Also, I agree with you about King's prose, you never feel like you're struggling to read it since it flows so naturally, in fact, when I was a fan, I couldn't read it fast enough (I am no longer a fan, see previous posts).

* Edited at 03.11.2015, 6:59 PM ET *

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

03.11.2015 | 7:01 PM ET

I just reread the stand this winter. I forgot how dated it seems (characters fitting into old fashioned stereotypes) but King is so good at setting up a compelling story. I'd agree with your rating of it Skelli.

"Frig off, bud"

shot2thesac
shot2thesac

03.11.2015 | 7:17 PM ET

Some of King's books would be dated, but read Cujo, you won't have any problems.  I read it when I was 11 yrs old whilst camping in the mountains of Colorado.  ****, I still have nightmares.

skelliher
skelliher

03.11.2015 | 7:48 PM ET

Years back, I got through Wizard and Glass in the Dark Tower series. My brother has read the whole thing and loves it, so I'll get back to it eventually. 

Loved aspects of it, but again, some of it, especially Book 3, was a real slog. 

skelliher
skelliher

03.11.2015 | 7:56 PM ET

As for GOT fighters, I think Dayne and Selmy are two of the GOATs, but I've been disappointed with Jaime's portrayal in the show. 

The show seems to portray him as a ****y knight who thinks he's great, but really isn't. 

In the book, it's a lot more clear that he's arguably the best swordsmen living. Dayne considered him a prodigy, and he was one of the youngest ever to be knighted. There's strong evidence to suggest he's top 3 all time, with the potential to be No. 1. 

I particularly remember when he cut down 10 of Robb Stark's men trying to get to the King in the North, and even weakened and wounded, is turned down with a duel against Robb. Robb isn't the greatest, but still impressive. 

Also, the fact that Selmy basically hates Jaime as a person/knight, but still has enormous respect for his fighting ability says a lot.

Griffy
Griffy
  • Predictions:  38,656  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,503
  • Post Score: 297

03.11.2015 | 8:25 PM ET

I believe Season 4 started to do him justice skelliher, by showing him as a more complex character, but you are right that overall, his character is much better in the books than show. The show is at a handicap when it comes to POV characters, as the show can't verbally say what the character is thinking.

Jamie is easily the ****tiest Kingsguard there has ever been, but there is no doubting his fighting abilities.

"I think Gayffy suits you better, because you are gay." - Nomad

Kpro
Kpro
  • Predictions:  11,208  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4,927
  • Post Score: 255

03.11.2015 | 8:34 PM ET

Anyone who has read both care to give their opinion on which they enjoyed more between the Game of Thrones books and Dark Tower books.  Just out of curiosity.  I haven't read either (I'm caught up on GoT the tv series) but may start one of the two series' as I'm finally about out of Jack Reacher books.  Shoot from the hip, don't over-think it, I'm looking for a gut instinct of which you recommend more than pros and cons laid out.  Of course, of someone who has read both.  I know at least @michiganbreauxphin has.

"I Stab Waterbeds!"

Griffy
Griffy
  • Predictions:  38,656  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,503
  • Post Score: 297

03.11.2015 | 8:39 PM ET

I believe we have covered the best highborn fighters well enough. Who would everyone say to be the best lowborn fighter?

This can be anyone who was born into a peasant family (we could included lesser houses, but let's try to stick with lowborn fighters), people like Bronn who became a knight, then claims his lordship and Andrik who was given a lordship.

This is a little tougher because there aren't as many stories or titles that follow these fighters, but I would have to say top 3 would be...

The Smiling Knight

Andrik

Qhorin Half-Hand

"I think Gayffy suits you better, because you are gay." - Nomad

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

03.11.2015 | 9:13 PM ET

Kpro, I felt much more attached to the characters in the Dark Tower series. The world building is probably better in ASOIAF, but I guess if I had to pick I'd say Dark Tower. Both are phenomenal though.

"Frig off, bud"

Page 4

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 Results: Koreshkov vs. Umalatov
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: ‘I Decide Who, When, And Where’
  • MMA Mania : Muhammad Goes Off On Edwards And ‘Fakest Team I’ve Ever Seen’
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia has skill set to compete with Devin Haney. Does he have mindset?
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway mocks Ilia Topuria’s demands for potential fight; Topuria responds
  • MMA Junkie : Henry Cejudo: Bo Nickal needs to hold his horses, 'maybe 10 fights away from possibly becoming UFC champion'
  • MMA Mania : Frenemies? ‘I Hate To See A Fighter Lose His Confidence’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 weigh-in results: Welterweights, featherweights set in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : ‘When I Was Your Age, I Already Had Title Defenses, Buddy’
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia fight card
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Belal Muhammad Claims He ‘Hates Leon Edwards’ Guts,’ Hopes To Dethrone The Welterweight King In Manchester
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Says He’s ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, Wants Logan Paul Or Floyd Mayweather Jr In Boxing After Nate Diaz
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Suggests Herb Dean Played a Part in Jamahal Hill’s UFC 300 Loss, ‘Big’ John McCarthy Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway responds to the 'un-BMF' demands from UFC champ Ilia Topuria
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Eddie Hearn says things about to get real for Ryan Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Hearn says things about to get real for Garcia
  • MMA Mania : PFL Chicago Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Relive every win of Conor McGregor’s epic UFC career
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Strickland vs. Paulo Costa: Odds and what to know ahead of UFC 302 co-headliner
  • MMA Mania : No Foul Play! ‘The Cutman Used A Boxing Technique’