Topic: Off Topic

Tapology Talks: Books

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

03.09.2015 | 5:07 PM ET

Here you go Griffy! Let's talk books!

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

Responses Page 2

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

03.09.2015 | 6:46 PM ET

@shot2

It looks like I am mistaken and they did not complete all the books into graphic novels which explains why I never finished it. It also looks like they are several other graphic novels that are tie in's and prequel's. So I think I have read actually a combination of his graphic novel adaptations and some tie in's/prequel stuff.

* Edited at 03.09.2015, 6:48 PM ET *

"here I come to save the day"

shot2thesac
shot2thesac
  • Predictions:  20,255  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  3,306
  • Post Score: 137

03.09.2015 | 6:46 PM ET

To me, reading The Dark Tower series is like spending 7 years trying to get this super-hot chick to 'be yours' and then finally getting her and finding a penis.

EDIT:  Oh, that's interesting, maybe I'll reconsider reading the graphic novels.  I didn't even know about them, my wife told me about them and their premise but I guess it's been a really long time now so I might have to investigate.

* Edited at 03.09.2015, 6:49 PM ET *

"#KnockersSucsk -- Gaycism is wrong -- Everything is YOSSholm"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

03.09.2015 | 6:47 PM ET

LOL

"here I come to save the day"

Griffy
Griffy
  • Predictions:  38,656  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,503
  • Post Score: 297

03.09.2015 | 7:00 PM ET

@legacyofmisfortune I actually felt I enjoy the series more, because I have read (most) of the books. That is just me though.

For the most part the books tell the story better, but there are scenes that I feel that show did better than the books. The episodes "Blackwater", "The Watchers of the Wall", and "The Mountain and the Viper" are 3 episodes that come to mind. They are all directed by Niel Marshall too, who I feel is the best director on the show.

@Franklin880088, I disagree, while the battle itself does not prove he was the best it is unfortunately the only battle we have of him fighting in, that is described in the Song of Ice and Fire books. It does support it; the battle was 7-3, with Dayne being the last Kingsguard alive. It may have been 3 knights of the Kingsguard, but the 7 were 3 Lords and 4 Knights.  There are more reasons why I believe him to be the best...

- He wielded the legendary sword called Dawn, a sword with House Dayne and the only sword in the Seven Kingdoms that given to a worthy knight of a certain House; most were given through lordships. If no knight was worthy during a period the sword was not given.

- You have multiple sources saying that he was the deadliest knight during King Aeyrs II reign, a time when Barriston was as a member of the Kingsguard.

- "The finest knight I ever saw was Ser Arthur Dayne, who fought with a blade called Dawn, forged from the heart of a fallen star." - Ned Stark

- "I learned from Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning, who could have slain all five of you with his left hand while he was taking a piss with the right" - Jamie Lannister

- "Most famous of all [wielders of the Sword of the Morning] was Ser Arthur Dayne, the deadlist of King Aerys II's Kingsguard..." - Page 239 The World of Ice & Fire

"I think Gayffy suits you better, because you are gay." - Nomad

Griffy
Griffy

03.09.2015 | 7:07 PM ET

@Franklin880088, no problem man. If you read it, let me know what you think of it. If you want to get into collecting, but don't have the funds (I have bought much in awhile for the same reason) I suggest taking a look on ebay or estate auctions.

I find Ebay is good because it goes about 50% overprice things because they believe if it is old it's valuable; 40% don't know the true value or just want to get rid of it, so it is much cheaper than it should be; the remaining 10% actually know the true value and list it as such. I only go after that 40%. Pick up a collectors reference book (most cost around $20) and use it as a guide before buying anything.

I can't help you much with the middle ages stuff, the oldest thing I have is a bayonet from 1867. What I have seen in my lurking however is mostly coins, although I don't know if they were real or not, so I never purchased anything.

WorstPredictionMan
WorstPredictionMan
  • Predictions:  1,156  |  35.6%
  • Forum Posts:  343
  • Post Score: 675

03.09.2015 | 7:40 PM ET

10/10. Would recommend. I've memorized every verse even though I've never actually read it. 

"There goes WorstPredictionMan, the greatest predictor who ever lived."

psychicdeath
psychicdeath
  • Predictions:  38,234  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,198
  • Post Score: 261

03.09.2015 | 8:06 PM ET

For fiction, I'm a big fan of the Discworld series of books by Terry Pratchett.  Just fun, and funny, light reading.  Unfortunately, the past few haven't been very good as Alzheimer's seems to be affecting Pratchett's writing.  The more recent books feel to me as if he has given a basic plot outline to someone else, and left the writing to him or her.  They just seem to lack the spark of the other 30+ books, and have characters doing and saying things that are ummm... out of character.  The series has several subsets, my favorites of which are the Night Watch and those dealing with the character of Death.

Another favorite is Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace.  It takes a few readings to understand everything, but it's a lot of fun.  I'm also fond of the Sherlock Holmes stories by Conan-Doyle, most of Sinclair Lewis, and several of John Irving's better novels.

Besides that, I read a lot of history (particularly military history) and biography.  Since I was a historian for most of my military career, that's pretty obvious.  Modern Times: The World from the Twenties to the Nineties  by Paul Johnson is a pretty good overview of the 20th Century.

Some favorite biographies are Washington: The Indispensable Man, by James Thomas Flexner, and The Nightmare of Reason by Ernst Pawel, a really good bio of Franz Kafka.

"I shall not cause harm to any vehicle nor the personal contents thereof, nor through inaction let that vehicle or the personal contents thereof come to harm. It's what I call the Repo Code, kid. "

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973

03.09.2015 | 8:11 PM ET

Hey, it happened! I've read all the ASOIAF books, (GoT series) so I'd love to talk at length about that . Also a huuuuge Stephen King fan. Dark Tower is amazing, I wouldn't start until you're ready to devote your attention to the series. 

"Frig off, bud"

Griffy
Griffy

03.09.2015 | 8:21 PM ET

@psychicdeath, that's interesting. What did your job entail for being a military historian? If you don't mind me asking. Did you teach recruits?

@michigandolphin, ya it did. As always poir420 was on point. If you want to talk about GoT, Franklin880088 and I have been discussing the best fighters. We both believe Sandor Clegane is the best fighter on the show (only judging from what has been shown), but disagree on the best fighter in the universe. I say Arthur Dayne and Franklin says Ser Barriston. What do you think?

psychicdeath
psychicdeath
  • Predictions:  38,234  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,198

03.09.2015 | 8:35 PM ET

Mostly it was researching and documenting current operations so that they were preserved for the future.  So it was writing a semiannual history of the unit I was assigned to (generally at a base level.  Most major Air Force bases have one historian), as well as answering questions from the public, from within the unit, and from the commander.  The commander's questions were usually along the lines of, "Hey, this is going on now.  Have we had a similar thing in the past, and what did they do about it then?"  I also did a "This Week In History" thing at the weekly staff meeting for fun.  Just a few minutes covering an event that happened in unit, Air Force, or US military history in the past.  One of the generals I worked for was a history buff, so he liked that.

Most of the stuff I wrote was classified, though, and even though most of it is probably declassified by now, it isn't of much interest to the general public.  There are a few unclassified things I worked on floating around the internet, though.

"I shall not cause harm to any vehicle nor the personal contents thereof, nor through inaction let that vehicle or the personal contents thereof come to harm. It's what I call the Repo Code, kid. "

Griffy
Griffy

03.09.2015 | 8:46 PM ET

That's really interesting psychicdeath, thanks for sharing!

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973

03.09.2015 | 9:13 PM ET

Awesome! Show I'd agree with you guys, Sandor.

All time? Tough one, both your suggestions are awesome. I guess I'd say prime Barristan, but I'd also throw young Robert Baratheon in the mix. Huge, powerful, intimidating and a great warrior.

"Frig off, bud"

shot2thesac
shot2thesac

03.09.2015 | 9:29 PM ET

Best P4P GoT fighter....

Brienne of Tarth

Griffy
Griffy

03.10.2015 | 12:06 AM ET

P4P GoT fighter is hands down Syrio Forel, the dude is like 120lbs

itfigures
itfigures
  • Predictions:  37,148  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,448
  • Post Score: 279

03.10.2015 | 12:25 AM ET

I'm a pretty huge Fantasy reader, a nice selection of a few different subgenres.

The Death Wizard Chronicles- Jim Melvin

Malazan Book of the Fallen series- Steven Erikson

Chronicles of the Black Company-Glenn Cook

Harbinger of Doom series- Glenn G Thater

The Norothian Cycle- M Edward McNally

The Cycle of Arawn- Edward W Robertson

The Book of Lokk- Sommer Nectarhoff

Demonsouled- Jonathan Moeller

Old Nathan- David Drake

Bowl of Souls- Trevor H Cooley

The Forest Knights- J.K. Swift

Enjoy!

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

03.10.2015 | 1:34 AM ET

I love books. They're cool.

"الله أكبرl"

Griffy
Griffy

03.10.2015 | 4:22 AM ET

^
/thread

shot2thesac
shot2thesac

03.10.2015 | 4:57 AM ET

Shut up, Gayffy, I'm 120 lbs.  Also, everybody knows women are lighter due to more body fat and women stuff, so... wait, is Brienne a woman?

poir420
poir420

03.10.2015 | 7:03 AM ET

@Griffy The Dark Tower is a great series, I do see why alot of people were upset with the ending but just enjoy the journey!

He has so many good books at least in my mind you could really start anywhere.

The Stand, The Shining, The Tommyknockers, Needful Things, Firestarter, Carrie, Salems Lot, Cujo.

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

poir420
poir420

03.10.2015 | 7:08 AM ET

I used to be big into these books when I was a kid and I still take them out and read them once in awhile. With LOTR coming out in the movies I always wished they would turn these into a movie.

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Dana White Makes Promise to His Children That Infamous Wife-Slapping Incident ‘Will Never Happen Again’
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Thought I Had Cancer’
  • MMA Junkie : Maycee Barber fires back at Erin Blanchfield for calling her pathetic: 'Erin fought my leftovers'
  • MMA Junkie : Conor McGregor opens up about fighting future: 'It's to the grave'
  • Bad Left Hook : Walters turns back clock, beats Adorno in ProBox main event
  • Bad Left Hook : Nicholas Walters turns back clock, beats Joseph Adorno in ProBox main event
  • Middle Easy : Georges St-Pierre Reveals Why He Retired: ‘I Thought Maybe I Had Cancer’
  • MMA Mania : White Vows Wife Slap ‘Will Never Happen Again’
  • MMAFighting.com : Heck of a Morning: Reaction to Robert Whittaker vs. Khamzat Chimaev headlining UFC Saudi Arabia
  • Bad Left Hook : Cuadras out, Moloney vs Guevara set for May 12
  • Bad Left Hook : Carlos Cuadras out, Andrew Moloney vs Pedro Guevara set for May 12
  • MMAFighting.com : Between the Links: Whittaker vs. Chimaev, Moreno taking break, Dana White hints at U.K. pay-per-view
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch BTL LIVE now
  • MMA Junkie : Despite failed booking, Vicente Luque thinks he'll eventually fight Ian Machado Garry
  • MMAFighting.com : Georges St-Pierre explains advantages he’d have in Khabib Nurmagomedov matchup: ‘I would have beat him’
  • Middle Easy : Maycee Barber Details Her ‘Scary’ Ordeal With Pneumonia After UFC 299
  • MMA Junkie : Jamall Emmers: Nate Landwehr being 'the opposite of me' will make for exciting UFC on ESPN 54 fight
  • MMAFighting.com : Renato Moicano fires back at Paddy Pimblett callout: ‘He’s a free paycheck’
  • MMA Mania : Bookies Back ‘Borz’ To Beat ‘Reaper’
  • MMA Junkie : John Dodson laments UFC pushing him to 135, thinks he'd knock out Alexandre Pantoja 'right now'