Tapology Forums

Is it finally time to admit Fedor was grossly overrated?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

theMMAmessiah
theMMAmessiah
  • Predictions:  7,993  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  8,433
  • Post Score: 103

02.22.2015 | 11:09 PM ET

Not that he wasn't good for his time, not that he didn't accomplish a lot. But the fact is there were ZERO good HW's when he was dominating Pride. And this entire fandom talked about him like he was a god. It was laughable to even suggest he could lose. And this is what I'm referring too.

Can the old time Pride boys, finally, just come to this thread, lower their head, and admit that Fedor perhaps WASN'T that good??????

I mean jesus how much more ******* proof do you need?

Responses Page 11

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

02.26.2015 | 9:47 AM ET

Even if you switched his losses to Werdum, BigFoot and Hendo and instead pretend he lost JDS, Cain and Couture would that really change his legacy?

No, but if he goes to the UFC instead of to M1 and DREAM and you switch those three wins against Monson, Ishii, and Rizzo to losses against guys like Lesnar, Cain, JDS then yeah, I think that does provide a lot more of a legitimate argument for Messiah's side. If he goes out on a 6 fight losing streak instead of taking easy fights and going out on a 3 win streak, yeah, his legacy becomes kinda like BJ Penn's or Chuck's. I think it's pretty clear either he, or his management wanted to play it safe. Which to me is kinda stupid because there are fights in the UFC he could have won. Hell, he was only 35ish around then, definitely not in his prime, but not too far out of it. And people who think he would have walked through Randy Couture, are underestimating Randy Couture. There's a very good possibility that Couture either gets him down, hangs out in his half guard and grinds out a decision, or wall and stalls Fedor for 3 rounds. Something else I just thought of, had Fedor ever fought in a cage before Strikeforce, or were all of his fights up to that point contested in a ring? Maybe he wasn't a fan of the whole cage thing.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 6 months, 3 weeks, 14 hours, and 38 minutes from now.
Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

02.26.2015 | 11:33 AM ET

Fedor's been out of his prime since he's been 31. By the tail end of his career all that was left of him was his grappling ability and his power punches.

The Fedor that beat Tim Sylvia would not have been able to beat a lot of fighters, Couture included.

"الله أكبرl"

FantasyMMA
FantasyMMA
  • Predictions:  278  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  712
  • Post Score: 145

02.26.2015 | 11:43 AM ET

" There's a very good possibility that Couture either gets him down, hangs out in his half guard and grinds out a decision, or wall and stalls Fedor for 3 rounds."

We talking 2009 Randy vs Fedor or 2006 Randy vs Fedor. The Randy that got completely dominated by Big Nog in the grappling game would not have stood a chance against Fedor. I do think earlier in their careers, when they were both at their best, that Couture could have made it a great fight ala CroCop and Big Nog.

Either way if you are going to bash on Fedor for not coming to the UFC after SF I can't say anything. He went out on a win and took easier fights at that point in his career just like everyone with sense does. Him going to the UFC and losing to Cain, JDS and Lesnar in 2011 and 2012 would not diminish anything that he accomplished. Chuck Liddell went out on a 1-5 streak and until Jones was still considered the greatest LHW of all time. BJ Penn went out 1-5-1 and is still widely considered the GOAT LW. Silva's last two fights against a MW were brutal KO loses and will be considered the GOAT MW for a long time. Only ignorant haters try to bash a persons career based on the fact they had loses at the end of it.
CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones

02.26.2015 | 11:53 AM ET

I'm not bashing on him by saying he didn't go to the UFC after SF. I just think that either he (or as Franklin stated) his management didn't want to taint his legacy anymore, and decided to take easier fights elsewhere. You give examples of guys like Liddell who was considered the LHW GOAT and got surpassed about 4 years after he retired by Jon Jones. BJ Penn while I still believe is the GOAT LW is close to being surpassed by Anthony Pettis (if he can stay healthy and keep winning fights obviously) and Anderson Silva is close to being surpassed at MW by, well, no one. Point is, don't you think it would be a lot easier for Cain to pass Fedor as HW GOAT if Fedor went out on 6 losses in a row as opposed to going out on 3 wins in a row? And again, I'm not being a "hater" or trying to bash Fedor in any way. 
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 6 months, 3 weeks, 14 hours, and 38 minutes from now.
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,442  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,595
  • Post Score: 69

02.26.2015 | 11:56 AM ET

I think 2006 or 2009 Randy would lose to Fedor.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,850  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

02.26.2015 | 12:18 PM ET

Fedor would have beat Randy at any point in their careers.

If they fought around 2000-2002 or so, Fedor would have subbed him.
Any time after that Randy gets KO'd.
CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones

02.26.2015 | 4:29 PM ET

Why the **** do people pretend to KNOW what would happen if two guys fought? Seriously, stop that ********. All of you. Including me at times.

If Fedor fought Obi Wan Kenobi at any point of their careers he'd have gotten a heavy dose of the force jammed up his ass.

* Edited at 02.26.2015, 4:33 PM ET *

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,850  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

02.26.2015 | 4:36 PM ET

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes" is an absolute. 
CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones

02.26.2015 | 4:37 PM ET

Yeah, there's a whole thing about that online, but you get the point.
FantasyMMA
FantasyMMA
  • Predictions:  278  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  712
  • Post Score: 145

02.27.2015 | 8:33 AM ET

"Point is, don't you think it would be a lot easier for Cain to pass Fedor as HW GOAT if Fedor went out on 6 losses in a row as opposed to going out on 3 wins in a row? And again, I'm not being a "hater" or trying to bash Fedor in any way. "

Fair enough. No I don't think it would be easier for Cain to pass Fedor if he went out with loses. But that is because I judge the GOAT based on their peak, not based on how bad they got at the end of their career. GSP could come back and lose 6 in a row and still be GOAT because of how good he was when at the top.

Page 11

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : UFC Star Jack Della Maddalena Promoted To BJJ Black Belt
  • UFC.com : Dana White Announces Main Event For UFC Saudi Arabia On June 22
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Saudia Arabia fight card announced with Robert Whittaker vs. Khamzat Chimaev headliner
  • MMA Mania : Khamzat Vs Whittaker Headlines UFC Saudi Arabia
  • MMAFighting.com : Khamzat Chimaev vs. Robert Whittaker set as UFC Saudi Arabia main event, 4 more fights announced
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Sandman Sees Suga Stop The Machine
  • UFC.com : UFC And Tourism WA Announce Multiyear Deal To Bring Two Action-Packed MMA Events To Perth
  • MMA Mania : UFC Atlantic City Odds, Under Dogs And Best Bets!
  • MMA Junkie : UFC free fight: Charles Oliveira rallies to light up Michael Chandler for first title win
  • MMA Mania : ‘Are We Fighting Or What?!’
  • MMA Junkie : Javier Mendez disagrees with Daniel Cormier's claim that Islam Makhachev more dangerous than Khabib Nurmagomedov
  • MMA Junkie : Cory Sandhagen: UFC champ Sean O'Malley has 'really good shot' of finishing Merab Dvalishvili
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘A win and a knockout’: Fabio Wardley prepared to put on a show against Frazer Clarke
  • MMA Mania : Eblen ‘Blows Through’ Adesanya, Reaches Strickland In MMA March Madness
  • MMA Junkie : Why UFC on ESPN 54's Vicente Luque accepted dangerous Joaquin Buckley replacement
  • MMAFighting.com : No Bets Barred: Can Manon Fiorot stop Erin Blanchfield at UFC Atlantic City? Plus, one time for Chris Weidman
  • MMA Mania : Barber: ‘Boring’ Blanchield ‘Fought My Leftovers’
  • MMAFighting.com : Dana White reflects on ugly moment striking his wife, changes he made
  • MMA Junkie : Nate Landwehr happy with UFC on ESPN 54 switch from Pat Sabatini to Jamall Emmers: 'It's better for the fans'
  • UFC.com : Hunting Runs Deep In The Swiderski Family