Topic: Johnson vs. Horiguchi

Johnson vs. Horiguchi

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,582  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,524
  • Post Score: 60

02.10.2015 | 11:19 AM ET

This is the official discussion thread for Johnson vs. Horiguchi. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

02.10.2015 | 11:19 AM ET

Prediction: correct Johnson   wrong Decision  

It should be entertaining, and it's a quality co-main, but it's too soon for Horiguchi.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

FantasyMMA
FantasyMMA
  • Predictions:  278  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  712
  • Post Score: 145

02.10.2015 | 11:22 AM ET

I think it is too soon for Horiguchi. He is without a doubt my favorite FlyW though and I hope he takes that title home.
michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

02.10.2015 | 11:40 AM ET

Prediction: correct Johnson   correct Submission   wrong Round 2  

Would love to see GUCHI MANE get that strap. But alas, DJ is too good. 

"Frig off, bud"

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

02.10.2015 | 12:01 PM ET

The UFC keeps doing this. They don't have enough 125ers so guys wind up getting a few decent wins in and getting rushed into title fights where Mighty Mouse kills them. I like Horiguchi, but was really hoping to see him get at least one top 5 or even top 10 win under his belt before being fed to the mouse. UFC really needs to put some effort into strengthening this division even though the casual fans don't care about it. 

* Edited at 02.10.2015, 12:01 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 3 weeks, 4 days, 2 hours, and 35 minutes from now.
amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

02.10.2015 | 1:05 PM ET

Prediction: correct Johnson   correct Submission   wrong Round 3  

Even Horiguchi himself said he's not ready, after he beat Louis Gaudinot.
Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

02.10.2015 | 1:07 PM ET

When UFC has divisions like 125 or Woman's 135 and probably even 115 they wind up being how UFC was pre TUF. Where they just need people for the champion to face, so they grab whatever decent record they can put in with them. Back in the day fighters made their UFC debut in title fights. Andre Pedineras fought for the UFC title with a 1-0 pro MMA record. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

michigandolphin
michigandolphin

02.10.2015 | 1:20 PM ET

The problem is that most adult men will not be able to fight in the 125 division. So, it's difficult to just "find" prospects because really small men who are super talented don't come along as often as a 155 or 170 lb person. 

"Frig off, bud"

DrGlaze
DrGlaze
  • Predictions:  18,699  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  872
  • Post Score: 188

02.10.2015 | 2:14 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Horiguchi   wrong Decision  

Damnnnnn youuuuuu Linekerrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

"I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers. -Khalil Gibran "

benjaminbrandt
benjaminbrandt
  • Predictions:  18,270  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  15,716
  • Post Score: 229

02.10.2015 | 2:49 PM ET

In theory, men's 125 is supposed to be populated by Asian and Central American fighters that tend to be smaller in stature.  

"I have not yet begun to defile myself. "

michigandolphin
michigandolphin

02.10.2015 | 2:59 PM ET

Right ^, and the UFC is currently trying to expand into those markets. Obviously JMMA is already popular, but the 125 division will be a lot better on down the road when MMA is more popular in the Central American and East Asian markets. We just have to wade through the ****** "first wave" of fighters from these markets. 

"Frig off, bud"

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

02.10.2015 | 3:08 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Horiguchi   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

As much as I am a big fan of Kyoji Horiguchi, he shouldn't be fighting for the belt this soon.  He should have been given a fight against Dodson or Benavidez in a Flyweight title eliminator match, so that he can test his skills against some of the top guys in the division and use it as a way to prepare himself for a fight against Mighty Mouse.

I'm still going to pick Horiguchi because I feel he has a small chance of potentially beating Johnson for the title, but I won't be surprised if he loses. I just hope that the UFC can properly build up this Flyweight division and not waste future talents that are currently in the division like Makovsky, Holohan, and Cejudo by having them fight Johnson too early because they had a 3-4 fight win streak in the division like they did to Bagautinov and what will most likely happen (unfortunately) to Horiguchi.

"..."

FantasyMMA
FantasyMMA

02.10.2015 | 3:21 PM ET

Just for discussion, what is the alternative to Horiguchi? Formiga I guess, but he would be in the same boat. No one is ready for a title fight in this division, so what do they do with a champ with no challenges. Clearly Mighty Mouse should coach TUF to slow down the number of title fights he has, but other than that he needs to fight. I'd give Dodson another shot at this point before Horiguchi or Formiga though. Build some of these guys up.
GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325

02.10.2015 | 4:19 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Horiguchi   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

@FantasyMMA Well as you said, Dodson is a strong first choice candidate to challenge Mighty Mouse again, but Dodson has only fought twice since losing to Johnson with his last fight being in June of 2014; so I don't know if he should be getting another title shot yet (again, this would have been a perfect time to match him up against Horiguchi for a title eliminator bout).  Lineker would have also been a good first choice candidate, but since the guy failed to make weight for the 4th ******* time, any momentum he had to fight Johnson is completely gone.  Moraga and Benavidez could have been good opponents for Johnson, but they are in the same boat as Dodson.  Ali Bagautinov could have possibly been in the title picture again if he didn't test positive for EPO, which wiped out any chance to get a couple more fights and rebuild the momentum he had in 2014 after he lost to Johnson.

Outside of that; you have McCall who is inconsistent, Cariaso who just lost to Johnson for the belt, Camus who just moved down to 125, and a bunch of potential stars in the division like Holohan and Cejudo who don't have enough fights in the UFC yet to make a claim as contenders for the belt (although I personally think both will be contenders in the near future).  In the end, that leaves Kyoji Horiguchi as the only fighter at 125 with an impressive enough resume currently to earn him a title shot.

If the UFC wants to have people taking the Flyweight division seriously, they need to start adding some quality depth to this division quick.  Personally I think they should try and bring in Flyweight fighters like Adriano Moraes and Alexandre Pantoja.

As a side note; I would say that the UFC should potentially bump some more bantamweights down to flyweight like Sergio Pettis and Manny Gamburyan.

"..."

horatiosanchez
horatiosanchez
  • Predictions:  229,223  |  66.4%
  • Forum Posts:  268
  • Post Score: 187

02.10.2015 | 11:16 PM ET

Prediction: correct Johnson   correct Submission   wrong Round 1  

Sergio Pettis is fighting Ryan Benoit at UFC 185, so I'm sure they're hoping he can do big things there.

They really should pick up Alexandre Pantoja, the Flyweight champ from RFA. The fact that the UFC haven't made such an easy signing makes me doubt how serious they are in building the division.

* Edited at 02.10.2015, 11:17 PM ET *

"Get busy livin or get busy dyin"

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

02.10.2015 | 11:52 PM ET

Too soon.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

unbeknownst
unbeknownst
  • Predictions:  5,020  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,679
  • Post Score: 208

02.11.2015 | 12:24 AM ET

Prediction: correct Johnson   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

I don't rate or rank Formiga as high as Horiguchi. There is no one else out there that ranked as high and hasn't fought DJ yet. He might not be ready to fight for the title yet, but the title fight is ready for him.

"I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture, and kill them."

FantasyMMA
FantasyMMA

02.11.2015 | 8:41 AM ET

@greenhornet great post man. That about sums that up haha. I actually think the division is pretty good and has some really good fighters, but DJ has either already beat them (Joey, Dodson, Baga, Moraga) or they haven't fought enough in the UFC (Cejudo, Holohan, Horiguchi). Just a tough spot for that division.
yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

02.11.2015 | 9:19 AM ET

@Fantasy, I agree, I love the 125 division too ... yeah, the championship race is a bit off but there are so many fun fighters to watch if you actually like MMA and aren't just here for the knockouts.

Another couple of "honorable mentions" I think need to be added to your list are Ray Borg, who I think is going to be special and even with his falters of late I still believe in Scoggins as the future of the division. He's got all the tools to go far (I still maintain there's no way he lost to Ortiz who's also a top level fighter and was dominating Moraga until made a stupid mistake) and is also still very young. He's a good wrestler, his Karate based striking is a different look, he transitions between the two well and has solid jitz for his age. He's also perfect size and speed-wise to be great in the weight class. He just needs to mature a bit and stop making dumb mistakes, but that's acceptable at 22 years old.

I personally see title races as interesting and fun but secondary to watching two skilled fighters showcase said skill in a cage. I like finishes like everyone, but a good decision between two skilled fighters with great exchanges both on the feet and ground is much more enjoyable that two heavyweights  who waddle towards each other even if it ends up in a slobber-knocking KO and in the 125 division you simple get more of those.

So yeah, even though it's hard to find a viable contender for DJ, the division itself has a ****load of guys I like to watch fight.

* Edited at 02.11.2015, 9:23 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

02.11.2015 | 12:17 PM ET

Fanboy picking right here^

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,326  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,484

02.11.2015 | 5:28 PM ET

I really like Horiguchi, but I don't see how he wins this. I thought he was smart a while back saying he didn't want to fight for a title. He's young. Why rush things? If the Horiguchi who fought Gaudinot shows up, Johnson will outwork him everywhere. 

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : How, When To Buy Tickets For UFC 303
  • MMA Junkie : UFC champ Dricus Du Plessis on board with Jiri Prochazka moving to middleweight
  • Middle Easy : Anthony Smith is Blinded by His Own UFC Title Aspirations: ‘It’s Making Me a Worse Fighter’
  • Bad Left Hook : Morrell vs Kalajdzic and Cruz vs Moran set for Aug. 3
  • MMA Junkie : Cedric Doumbe gets new opponent for Bellator Champions Series in Paris
  • MMAFighting.com : Leon Edwards’ coach: Belal Muhammad ‘was looking for a way out’ in first fight
  • MMAFighting.com : Leon Edwards’ coach: Belal Muhammad was ‘was looking for a way out’ after eye poke in first fight
  • MMA Junkie : PFL signs Melissa Balic to multifight deal ahead of professional debut
  • UFC.com : Austin Hubbard Welcomes What Is Unpredictable
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Watch UFC Vegas 91 Media Day!
  • MMA Junkie : Video: 'UFC on ESPN 55: Nicolau vs. Perez' media day live stream
  • MMAFighting.com : Cedric Doumbe lands new opponent for Bellator Paris
  • MMA Junkie : Leon Edwards' coach expects Belal Muhammad next, says he 'was looking for a way out' in first fight
  • MMA Mania : ‘Bones’ Back In Camp
  • MMAFighting.com : Jon Jones returns to training for first time since suffering pectoral injury
  • Bad Left Hook : Chocolatito set for July 12 comeback against Barrera
  • MMA Junkie : Jiri Prochazka focused on reclaiming UFC light heavyweight title but contemplates future middleweight move
  • Middle Easy : Kamaru Usman Says Dana White ’10-7ed The Media’ With UFC 300’s Success
  • UFC.com : UFC And Morgan & Morgan Announce Multi-year Renewal Of Marketing Partnership
  • UFC.com : UFC 300 50/50 Charity Raffle Raises More Than $112,000