Topic: Gustafsson vs. Johnson

Gustafsson vs. Johnson

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,582  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,524
  • Post Score: 60

11.10.2014 | 7:19 PM ET

This is the official discussion thread for Gustafsson vs. Johnson. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

11.10.2014 | 7:19 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Gustafsson   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Heavily rumored for the main event on January 24 via Helwani. Would be yet another incredible event for January 2015.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Huiop532
Huiop532
  • Predictions:  9,220  |  58.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,534
  • Post Score: 206

11.10.2014 | 7:23 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Gustafsson   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

Johnson is a bad stylistic matchup for Jones, even worse than Gus. But Gus is a horrible matchup for Rumble... 
CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

11.10.2014 | 7:46 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Gustafsson   wrong Decision  

Johnson is Glover without jiu jitsu IMO.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 3 weeks, 3 days, 1 hour, and 16 minutes from now.
MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,326  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

11.10.2014 | 8:16 PM ET

Johnson is Glover without the ability to get a tan.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones

11.10.2014 | 8:23 PM ET

Much downvotes, not one explanation for the thought process behind them. Basically just means I'm right and other people are sad that Rumble isn't the second coming like they'd hoped.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 3 weeks, 3 days, 1 hour, and 16 minutes from now.
CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones

11.10.2014 | 8:27 PM ET

BUT BUT BUT RUMBLE STUFFED ALL OF PHIL'S TAKEDOWNS AND PHIL TOOK GLOVER DOWN AT WILL. 

That's nice, stop comparing them based on MMA math and tell me what Rumble brings to a fight with Jon Jones that Glover didn't bring.
Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

11.10.2014 | 8:40 PM ET

People who think Glover Teixeira's wrestling is bad or even lesser than what they thought it was prior to the Phil Davis fight really did not watch the same fight that I did.

What I saw was Glover Teixeira's takedown defense being stellar but Phil Davis' pure strength just wearing down on Glover. Davis didn't have the opportunity to ride Rumble the same way because Rumble is just as freakishly strong.

But no, Rumble brings absolutely nothing to a fight against Jon Jones. I don't understand where all of this style ******** came out of, because Rumble is not that special.

"الله أكبرl"

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

11.10.2014 | 8:41 PM ET

It's true though. Downvoting on a thread where you ain't even said anything, is weak as ****. Cthulhu had to make up what he thought your punk asses were thinking just to argue with yous.

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

FantasyMMA
FantasyMMA
  • Predictions:  278  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  712
  • Post Score: 145

11.10.2014 | 9:19 PM ET

"It's true though. Downvoting on a thread where you ain't even said anything, is weak as ****."

That is the one thing I don't like about his site. Disagree with me all you want, at least tell me your view.

@CT I didn't down vote you but I strongly disagree with you (I only down vote stupid comments, not things I disagree with). I said for a long time that Glover is vastly overrated. He throws some mean hooks and sometimes they even connect, Johnson is a much different striker. Not saying he is better or worse by he is more explosive, faster, more athletic and throws many different strikes. He is also the better wrestler. With that said he is absolutely not as good a grappler as Glover and if Jones takes him down he'll likely submit him. I really haven't given Jones vs Johnson too much thought, but he is a very different fighter than Glover.

With all that said I think Gus is obviously the worse (worser?) match-up for Jones and is a terrible match up for AJ. Johnson is too wild to beat Gus IMO. As long as Gus minds his Ps and Qs he should be able to pick AJ apart.

* Edited at 11.10.2014, 9:19 PM ET *

curtwag84
curtwag84
  • Predictions:  13,940  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,695
  • Post Score: 273

11.10.2014 | 9:38 PM ET

Let me introduce you all to something called the world wide web. Where billions of people , some good, some bad, some mad, some sad. All get together and have a giant ******* party. Unless up thumbs are currency you use to feed your family on whatever ****** up planet you come from where everyone is nice and happy. Get the **** over it. its an digital icon to show when some one agrees or disagrees with you. It doesnt hurt you in any way except maybe your pride and if your pride is hurt from a few digital thumbs the internet is probably not the place for you.

"I'd like to take this chance, to appologize. To absolutely nobody. -Connor McGreGOAT"

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

11.10.2014 | 10:12 PM ET

Rumble brings one hitter quittter KO power other than that nothing special

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones

11.10.2014 | 11:18 PM ET

I agree with everything said above this. Including my posts. I really am curious to hear why some others think Rumble is a bad match up for Jones, or Gus for that matter. He has crazy power and has looked like a world beater since moving to 205, but are we seriously pretending that Jon Jones is not head and shoulders above the competition Rumble has faced since his move to LHW? I really dislike Jones and the idea of seeing him get knocked out is very very appealing, I just don't see Rumble being well rounded enough to cause any issues for him. Gus shouldn't have any problem with him either I don't think. If Rumble and Jones fight it will be after Gus beats Rumble and DC beats Jones. IMO.

* Edited at 11.10.2014, 11:19 PM ET *

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  31,978  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972
  • Post Score: 195

11.10.2014 | 11:57 PM ET

Rumble can be different from Glover without having anything for Jones though, can't he? You already mentioned that Davis couldn't take Rumble down. I don't think they're exactly similar fighters, Rumble is stronger and probably has more sheer punching power but doesn't have the submission game, as far as anyone knows. Don't see how Rumble is a bad matchup for Jones though. Rumble doesn't have the same height or reach as Gus and I feel like Jones's various stuff like teeps, knee kicks, and that thing he did to Glover's arm would frustrate Rumble and break him down eventually.

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

gunn4206
gunn4206
  • Predictions:  39,018  |  65.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,834
  • Post Score: 249

11.12.2014 | 11:07 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Gustafsson   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

Gus has 3 wins by RNC and Johnson has 3 Losses by RNC .  after this Gus will have 4 RNC wins ..

"RIP Bill Burgess , RIP CthuluJones"

foley4ever87
foley4ever87
  • Predictions:  7,048  |  60.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,092
  • Post Score: 86

11.12.2014 | 1:23 PM ET

It's a very tough fight for me to call, but I am gonna go with Rumble here. The precision he used to shut down Phil Davis impressed me.

" Stephen Quadros: "How long have you had that mustache?" Don Frye: "Since I was 5. I got it from my mom's side of the family. She's not a pretty woman.""

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

11.12.2014 | 1:38 PM ET

@foley, this is a totally different fight ... once he managed to stuff Phil's TD's and they were stuck standing, Phil's striking is so bad he could use that precision ... with Gus, that's exactly where he wants the fight, he's faster, rangier and actually has a striking game (as opposed to Phil).

Not saying Rumble can't win, just saying, nothing about the Phil fight says anything about this one.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

11.12.2014 | 2:58 PM ET

We also can't underestimate the role travel will play in this one. This is in Stockholm, a full six-hour time difference from Rumble's training grounds. He's going to have to travel, cut weight and acclimatize. Gustafsson's timing will be on point, but Rumble could be off. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

FaceStomper
FaceStomper
  • Predictions:  4,891  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,399
  • Post Score: 224

11.12.2014 | 3:05 PM ET

Prediction: correct Johnson   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Gus and Rumble are the people's champs

"You fight midgets" - Nate Diaz

keanuyu
keanuyu
  • Predictions:  1,956  |  57.2%
  • Forum Posts:  17
  • Post Score: -6

11.13.2014 | 5:23 AM ET

difficult to call but.....

Prediction: correct Johnson   correct KO/TKO   correct Round 1  

Rumble's only chance for me is if he catches Gustaffson with a punch. Other than that, he won't be able to beat The Mauler
whipton
whipton
  • Predictions:  1,883  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  205
  • Post Score: 21

01.06.2015 | 10:46 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Gustafsson   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 5  

speed kills 

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : ‘This will be one of Canelo’s better performances’: Ellerbe expects showcase victory against Munguia
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 press conference video at 6 p.m. ET
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Louisville lineup announced: Dominick Reyes vs. Dustin Jacoby, but no main event official
  • MMA Mania : Wanna Bet Someone Misses Weight? Now You Can!
  • MMA Junkie : Ronda Rousey thinks Joe Rogan, media turned on her after knockout losses: 'They're a bunch of assh*les'
  • MMAFighting.com : Curtis Blaydes: Tom Aspinall fight at UFC 304 makes sense, but I learned ‘don’t get my hopes up’
  • Middle Easy : Trial Date Set for Former UFC Heavyweight Champion Cain Velasquez in Attempted Murder Case
  • MMA Junkie : Israel Adesanya will always respect 'special fighter' Alex Pereira
  • Jits Magazine : PGF World Season 6: Day 3 Recap
  • MMAFighting.com : Shaq: Vitor Belfort knocked out person ‘talking crazy’ at bar
  • UFC.com : UFC UNFILTERED | Ariane Lipski, Austin Hubbard, UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez picks
  • MMA Junkie : Montana De La Rosa, Andrea Lee booked for UFC rematch in Louisville
  • MMA Mania : Cannonier Vs Imamov Headlines UFC Louisville
  • MMA Junkie : UFC's Tim Means doesn't expect to fight for long: 'I turned 40, I know my time is coming'
  • Bad Left Hook : Cieslak vs Chamberlain joins Billam-Smith vs Riakporhe 2 on June 15
  • Bad Left Hook : Michal Cieslak vs Isaac Chamberlain joins Billam-Smith vs Riakporhe 2 on June 15
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! BKFC ‘KnuckleMania 4’ Press Conference Video!
  • UFC.com : UFC Returns To Louisville For UFC Fight Night On June 8 At KFC Yum! Center
  • MMA Junkie : Tatiana Suarez campaigns for title shot vs. Zhang Weili at UFC 306: 'I get a submission 100 percent'
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302: Makhachev vs. Poirier adds key prospect bout