Topic: Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor vs. Diego Sanchez in Mexico or Conor trolling???

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

10.02.2014 | 2:02 AM ET

From his FB page:

Conor McGregor
8 minutes ago I am fighting @DiegoSanchezUFC in Mexico, November 15th. He spoke a big game. Now he will pay with his career. VIVA LA EIRE!!!

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

"The Notorious" Conor McGregor

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Conor Anthony McGregor
  • Pro MMA Record: 22-6-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: The Notorious
  • Current Streak: 2 Losses
  • Last Fight: July 10, 2021 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Lightweight | Last Weigh-In: 156.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: SBG Ireland
  • Height: 5'9" (175cm) | Reach: 74.0" (188cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $41,854,000 USD
  • Born: Crumlin, Dublin, Ireland
  • Fighting out of: Dublin, Ireland
  • Head Coach: John Kavanagh
  • Other Coaches: Owen Roddy
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses Page 2

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

10.02.2014 | 6:27 PM ET

You can't always get a higher ranked opponent than your last opponent.

I for one will love watching Diego get tooled by Conor.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 10 hours, and 35 minutes from now.
mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

10.02.2014 | 6:33 PM ET

Really?
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 10 hours, and 35 minutes from now.
krazyhopz
krazyhopz
  • Predictions:  14,820  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  2,098
  • Post Score: 158

10.02.2014 | 7:00 PM ET

dana told ESPN the fight isn't happneing...and if theres one thing we all know dana always tells the truth

this was dana's response to conor sayin he was fighting deigo

“The kid is nuts,” White said. “No, he’s not. He wants to, but he’s not.”

"Everyone has a gameplan 'till they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,727  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,777
  • Post Score: 273

10.02.2014 | 7:10 PM ET

Diego is not on McGregor's level, a Diego Sanchez in his past may be able to give Conor fits (possibly) but now that he has abandoned all technique and his wrestling I see no point in this match-up. Give McGregor a top 5 opponent for him to destroy. Give him a title shot, you may as well because he's going to get that belt.

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

10.02.2014 | 7:15 PM ET

This would be a brilliant move for Conor and the UFC. I understand that they're worried about him losing to Diego at 155, but let's be serious, this is a perfect styles match-up for McGregor. 

Plus, Diego is a big damn name. Having that on his resume, especially if he was the first fighter to legitimately KO him? Damn, son. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

DontBeScaredHomie
DontBeScaredHomie
  • Predictions:  44,107  |  58.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,217
  • Post Score: 279

10.02.2014 | 7:28 PM ET

OK this guy is finally growing on me. Im late getting on this train but **** it make some room. Hes basically pulling some grade A Chael P style marketing

"Ohhhhhhhh ****! Look at that door, dude. See that door there? The one marked "Pirate"? You think a pirate lives in there?"

skelliher
skelliher

10.02.2014 | 7:34 PM ET

I don't see Conor and Chael as being all that similar. I think Conor's talk comes from an Ali-like sense of true self-belief, whereas Chael talked the talk and got smashed up by the biggest names while on steroids. He walked the walk in terms of fighting all comers, but it's not the same. Just my opinion, though. 

DontBeScaredHomie
DontBeScaredHomie

10.02.2014 | 7:39 PM ET

Chael said his marketing style was "If you make enough noise they have to listen" and i see alot of that in Conor. 

"Ohhhhhhhh ****! Look at that door, dude. See that door there? The one marked "Pirate"? You think a pirate lives in there?"

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

10.02.2014 | 7:42 PM ET

I think there's some opportunity out there for a number of guys. Conor McGregor is, without question, the most entertaining guy in or out of the cage right now. There are some other guys that are fun and get what we're doing and understand that you've got a personality, and when they put you on camera, they're trying to see that personality.

Then you've got these other guys, in their suits and ties, and they go out and just sit there, like they're going to win over the fans with that suit and tie. I just don't understand it. If you want to be exciting, then be exciting. Don't make the UFC buy you a plane ticket to whatever press conference is in question if you're not going to help yourself along.

There's guys out there that are really great. I look at Jose Aldo, and he's just so good. I personally have him ranked as the Number 2 fighter in the world, behind Jon Jones. Aldo may be the Number 1 fighter. That Featherweight class is so much harder than Jones' weight class. The point is, he's the lowest paid champ in UFC history. He's the lowest drawing champion in UFC history, and that's 100% his fault. He's complaining about money constantly, but he's been on the PPV cards like the rest of the champions have. He just does nothing to maneuver his career.

If I was Jose Aldo, and I know that I can't draw flies, the second Cain (Velasquez) gets announced to fight in Mexico against Fabricio Werdum, I would have picked a fight. I would have picked a fight, I would have picked that date, and I would have gone to the media and called out whatever opponent it was, and I would have said, ‘Meet me in Mexico.' I would have taken advantage of the revenue that Cain is going to bring in.

That concept that I just laid out to you would be such a foreign idea to him and his management team, despite that it's so obvious. What I said is 101. You get on the biggest cards if you're fighting PPV like the champions are. I don't think any of this is crossing his mind.

If I can't create a big card, then I'm gonna get stuck on a big card. If I'm fightingRashad Evans, and he and I can't draw on our own, then I'm going to challenge him to a co-main with St. Pierre on top, headlining. Then, I'm going to benefit from the biggest PPV of the year.

When they ask you who you want to fight, have an answer. If you don't have an answer, do not say, ‘I will fight whoever the UFC wants me to fight.' Not only do they not name anybody's name, they then go to the absolute worst default, which is the ‘I'll fight anybody' line.

They didn't just miss the ball, they struck out. I've also seen them call out multiple guys. ‘Well, I wanna fight this guy or this guy.' Now you've just divided your own fan base. Half of them are gonna go left, half are gonna go right. Focus everything on one guy.

When people would ask me, I would go one of two ways; I would either go after the champion, or I would say I wanted to fight the worst guy with the most appalling record in the biggest venue for the largest paycheck. Why? Because it's also a truthful answer. You don't need to fight Number 2, 3, 4, 5, 6-10. Either fight Number 1 or fight Number 20. You want to get the championship, or you want a fight that will make you look great in there. If there's not an architecture, you've got to create one.

An example is when Rashad and I were going to fight. Rashad and I aren't going to do huge numbers as a main event, but we're both in on the PPV and we both need to be on big cards. When I find out that the 20 year anniversary is coming up and Georges St. Pierre is gonna fight Johny Hendricks, I had my own poster made. I went to a graphic designer, I paid the money and had my own poster made. I then sent Rashad a tweet, and it simply said, ‘Rashad, what are you doing November 16th?' He writes me back and says, ‘Nothing, what's up?' I said, ‘I'll give you one hint' and I tweeted out the picture of the poster. It's got me and Rashad on it with the date and the venue. It was great.

The very next day, Joe Silva yells at me in a hotel in Indianapolis, ‘What are you trying to do, announce your own fights? We announce fights, not you.' The day after that, I had a contract to fight Rashad Evans on November 16th, which just happened to be the highest grossing PPV of the year.

You have got to go outside the box a little bit. You've got to risk being yelled at by Joe Silva, but at the end of the day, you can get your way. The minute I sent that tweet out with the poster, every media outlet picked it up. Now the UFC is faced with two choices. They can either do a fight that I had already announced, or they can try to unwind $5 million worth of free media that tweet got after every media outlet picked it up. It's a lot easier to just send me a contract and send me my PPV bonus [laughs].

Jose Aldo is beating everybody up. I don't say this as a knock on him. I like the guy and I pick him to talk about because I think that he deserves more, but he's got to go out and earn it. He's got to bring in the interest. I can't tell you how often I have to tell people who Jose Aldo is and that he's the current champion. People think that McGregor is the champion because he's fast become the guy in that division that stands out.

It's all about having a hand in your own career, and a lot of these guys just don't do it. Some of these guys just don't get it or understand it, and later down the road, they'll regret it. The few that do, have a lot of fun with it. For me, Conor McGregor is that guy. He's your next real superstar.

Taken from an interview on Bloodyelbow with Chael. He's 100% accurate as per always.

This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 6 months, 6 hours, and 39 minutes from now.
flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick

10.02.2014 | 7:51 PM ET

Conor comes off as genuine, Chael seemed more WWE'ish. He also fought WWE'ish.

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones

10.02.2014 | 8:05 PM ET

I'm not going to even attempt to figure out what the **** "fought WWEish" means. Wrestled? He wrestled? Yeah...
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 6 months, 6 hours, and 39 minutes from now.
michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

10.02.2014 | 8:08 PM ET

I thought I remembered him hitting a Stone Cold Stunner in one of his fights.

"Frig off, bud"

DontBeScaredHomie
DontBeScaredHomie

10.02.2014 | 8:13 PM ET

Actual footage of a Chael P fight

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick

10.02.2014 | 8:15 PM ET

Hey, just because I insulted Chael Sonnen doesn't mean you need to defend him at all costs @Cthulu. Chill.

His personality was very fake, and his fighting style reminded me of a WWE wrestler. Sorry.

* Edited at 10.02.2014, 8:19 PM ET *

boredoms
boredoms
  • Predictions:  47,181  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,267
  • Post Score: 236

10.02.2014 | 8:16 PM ET

And I thought Anderson Silva was an over seller.

"I am trained in gorilla warfare" - Stay Ready

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones

10.02.2014 | 8:27 PM ET

Hey, just because I insulted Chael Sonnen doesn't mean you need to defend him at all costs @Cthulu. Chill.

Insult Christ and Christians will come. Insult Chael and Chaelians will come. 

sreimuth
sreimuth
  • Predictions:  79,148  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4,245
  • Post Score: 262

10.02.2014 | 8:41 PM ET

for the love of god can we get Sanchez vs. Lauzon?

"Under my tutelage, you will grow from boys to men. From men into gladiators. And from gladiators into Swansons.- Ron Swanson https://www.instagram.com/seanreimuth/ Follow me."

FaceStomper
FaceStomper
  • Predictions:  4,891  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,399
  • Post Score: 224

10.02.2014 | 8:47 PM ET

This is will be a barnburner.I'm not sure that Diego will get finished, but Mcgregor gonna Mcgregor with that ****y beard.

"You fight midgets" - Nate Diaz

skelliher
skelliher

10.02.2014 | 9:13 PM ET

I'm not arguing against Sonnen's tactics. They worked. 

Problem for me personally is that none of it was genuine. I believe Conor is, which is why i have a lot more respect for him. 

Also ... roids.

edwinx1903
edwinx1903
  • Predictions:  1,280  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,039

10.02.2014 | 9:36 PM ET

Speaking of Chael and WWE:

* Edited at 10.02.2014, 9:37 PM ET *

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Max Holloway Snaps Back at Ilia Topuria Over BMF Title Demands: ‘That’s Kind of Un-BMF’
  • MMAFighting.com : Brendan Loughnane details ‘intense’ training sessions with Conor McGregor ahead of PFL return
  • Middle Easy : Chris Weidman Weighs in on Herb Dean Controversy at UFC 300, Would ‘Love’ His Next Fight to Be Against Sean Strickland
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 302's Sean Strickland on Paulo Costa: 'I'm going to make that dirty Brazilian bleed'
  • Bad Left Hook : Morrell moves to 175, Berlanga named WBA mandatory challenger for Canelo
  • Bad Left Hook : David Morrell Jr moves to 175, Edgar Berlanga named WBA mandatory challenger for Canelo Alvarez
  • MMAFighting.com : Logan Paul responds to Ronda Rousey criticism: ‘I don’t think she’s a hater’
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I see it being an early night’: Haney doesn’t expect Garcia to last the distance
  • MMA Junkie : Jorge Masvidal proud to see fans bring Miami heat on Nate Diaz: 'He definitely felt it'
  • Middle Easy : Frustrated Ketlen Vieira Believes She is More ‘Deserving’ of a UFC Title Fight Than Kayla Harrison
  • MMA Mania : Chandler Reveals Plans For McGregor’s ‘Hurt Leg’
  • MMAFighting.com : Missed Fists: Fighter eats head kick after failing to exploit grounded fighter rule
  • MMA Junkie : Kyoji Horiguchi, Sergio Pettis to rematch at Rizin 47 in June
  • MMAFighting.com : Sergio Pettis vs. Kyoji Horiguchi 2 announced for RIZIN 47 in June
  • MMAFighting.com : Gegard Mousasi lashes out at PFL over lack of communication, refusal to book him since buying Bellator
  • MMA Junkie : PFL heads to Mohegan Sun, Salt Lake City, Sioux Falls for second half of 2024 regular season
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Eventually he burns out’: Wilder only expects a strong first half from Zhang
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Eventually he burns out’: Deontay Wilder only expects a strong first half from Zhilei Zhang
  • MMA Mania : Jake Paul’s $10 Million Offer ‘Still Stands’ For MMA Debut
  • MMA Junkie : Jake Paul offers Jorge Masvidal, Nate Diaz $10 million for MMA fight