Tapology Forums

Saunders vs Riggs UFC protecting itself again!

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Small balls
Small balls
  • Predictions:  2,435  |  63.6%
  • Forum Posts:  29
  • Post Score: 38

09.22.2014 | 10:03 PM ET

I can't stand how the UFC is always trying to cover its own ass with match making. When they bought strikeforce they matched up strikeforce fighters against one another to discount the winners and cut the losers . Funny how two recently signed ex-bellator fighters are matched up with one another. Its obviously a move to cut Joe Riggs if he looses and not give either guy a chance to embarrass the UFC by beating on of "their guys". One day the UFC will be its own demise.

Responses

DontBeScaredHomie
DontBeScaredHomie
  • Predictions:  44,095  |  58.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,217
  • Post Score: 279

09.22.2014 | 10:06 PM ET

Well to be fair they are both ex UFC fighters also

"Ohhhhhhhh ****! Look at that door, dude. See that door there? The one marked "Pirate"? You think a pirate lives in there?"

boredoms
boredoms
  • Predictions:  47,181  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,267
  • Post Score: 236

09.22.2014 | 10:16 PM ET

And who cares. You're complaining about nothing.

"I am trained in gorilla warfare" - Stay Ready

Small balls
Small balls
  • Predictions:  2,435  |  63.6%
  • Forum Posts:  29
  • Post Score: 38

09.22.2014 | 10:25 PM ET

I care you choad. I want to see how guys from other organizations stack up against "UFC fighters". Saunders Just had a ridiculous submission I want to see him against an established fighter in the divison. Pretty much every Japanese fighter the UFC signs gets thrown to the wolves in order to boost their own brand. The politics of match making frustrate the **** out of me.

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

09.22.2014 | 10:32 PM ET

He lost to Swick, Fitch and Hallman last run in the UFC. I say they give him a few build up fights this go round.

"Frig off, bud"

curtwag84
curtwag84
  • Predictions:  13,940  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,695
  • Post Score: 273

09.22.2014 | 10:50 PM ET

Lombard fought Boetch for his first UFC fight and that should have been a give me for Lombard. And now Alvarez is fighting Cerrone. It doesnt seem very common of UFC to protect from Bellator You would have sounded more intellegent if you claimed they are protecting GSP from Askren.Rigs and Saunders are old vets Bellaor 2.0 didnt want getting a second chance. 

Edit: Also Rigs original opponent was Thiago, a UFC vet

* Edited at 09.22.2014, 10:52 PM ET *

"I'd like to take this chance, to appologize. To absolutely nobody. -Connor McGreGOAT"

shot2thesac
shot2thesac
  • Predictions:  20,255  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  3,306
  • Post Score: 137

09.22.2014 | 11:24 PM ET

hahahhahh, heh heh, heh.... Choad

"#KnockersSucsk -- Gaycism is wrong -- Everything is YOSSholm"

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

09.22.2014 | 11:50 PM ET

I can't stand how the UFC is always trying to cover its own ass with match making. When they bought strikeforce they matched up strikeforce fighters against one another to discount the winners and cut the losers

They actually did pretty much the exact opposite of that. Go look at all the fighters from Strikeforce who were brought over, and look at who their first opponent was in the UFC. Completely ignorant post is ignorant.

Pat Healy's first UFC fight was against Jim Miller
Josh Thomson's first UFC fight was against Nate Diaz
Gilbert Melendez's first UFC fight was against Benson Henderson
Jorge Masvidal's first UFC fight was against Tim Means
KJ Noon's first UFC fight was against Donald Cerrone
Ryan Couture's first UFC fight was against Ross Pearson
Tarec Saffiedine's first UFC fight was against Hyun Gyu Lim
Tyron Woodley's first UFC fight was against Jay Hieron
Luke Rockhold's first UFC fight was against Vitor Belfort
Lorenz Larkin's first UFC fight was against Francis Carmont
Jacare's first UFC fight was against Chris Camozzi

Literally the only fight I can find off the top of my head where two strikeforce guys fought is Tim Kennedy and Roger Gracie. 
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 6 months, 3 weeks, 11 hours, and 13 minutes from now.
mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

09.23.2014 | 12:39 AM ET

I also chuckled at "choad"
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 4 months, 1 week, 1 day, 15 hours, and 9 minutes from now.
DrGlaze
DrGlaze
  • Predictions:  18,686  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  872
  • Post Score: 188

09.23.2014 | 12:59 AM ET

@Cthulhu Adlan Amagov fought Chris Spang in his debut.

* Edited at 09.23.2014, 1:03 AM ET *

"I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers. -Khalil Gibran "

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

09.23.2014 | 1:03 AM ET

2 outta 13...not a trend.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 6 months, 3 weeks, 11 hours, and 13 minutes from now.
yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,478  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

09.23.2014 | 1:13 AM ET

@Small balls, I think you're way off base.

They're putting two of the comeback vets against each other to see which one of them is still legit.

Totally legit matchmaking. 

Putting SF guys or two newcomers against each other to start off with is usually to weed out the non-UFC material rather than to protect UFC guys. If you think they give two ****s about protecting Saunders-Riggs level "UFC guys" you're WAY off on their strategy and how the view fighters these days. I don't know if you ever traded cards, but as an analogy take this, that level of fighters are the card you've got multiple copies of and you use to pad deals for rarer cards. None of the guys at that level will be "protected".

On the contrary, at those levels a newcomer is usually a breath of fresh air with momentum behind him (otherwise he wouldn't have been picked up) while as a UFC dude mid-level and below will, in many cases, be a dude who's already got some recent losses and lost some steam therefore is less exciting for the fickle MMA fanbase.

I pretty much believe that in 99% of the cases the UFC seriously don't care which fighter is the one that wins. Maybe in rare cases like a Conor McGregor or a Ronda Rousey type starting where you know from the get-go you've got a bankable star if they get to the top they have a preference, but otherwise ... they could care less which one of the entry-level wins the fight.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,442  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,595
  • Post Score: 69

09.23.2014 | 6:52 AM ET

Just filler fights.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : UFC Star Jack Della Maddalena Promoted To BJJ Black Belt
  • UFC.com : Dana White Announces Main Event For UFC Saudi Arabia On June 22
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Saudia Arabia fight card announced with Robert Whittaker vs. Khamzat Chimaev headliner
  • MMA Mania : Khamzat Vs Whittaker Headlines UFC Saudi Arabia
  • MMAFighting.com : Khamzat Chimaev vs. Robert Whittaker set as UFC Saudi Arabia main event, 4 more fights announced
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Sandman Sees Suga Stop The Machine
  • UFC.com : UFC And Tourism WA Announce Multiyear Deal To Bring Two Action-Packed MMA Events To Perth
  • MMA Mania : UFC Atlantic City Odds, Under Dogs And Best Bets!
  • MMA Junkie : UFC free fight: Charles Oliveira rallies to light up Michael Chandler for first title win
  • MMA Mania : ‘Are We Fighting Or What?!’
  • MMA Junkie : Javier Mendez disagrees with Daniel Cormier's claim that Islam Makhachev more dangerous than Khabib Nurmagomedov
  • MMA Junkie : Cory Sandhagen: UFC champ Sean O'Malley has 'really good shot' of finishing Merab Dvalishvili
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘A win and a knockout’: Fabio Wardley prepared to put on a show against Frazer Clarke
  • MMA Mania : Eblen ‘Blows Through’ Adesanya, Reaches Strickland In MMA March Madness
  • MMA Junkie : Why UFC on ESPN 54's Vicente Luque accepted dangerous Joaquin Buckley replacement
  • MMAFighting.com : No Bets Barred: Can Manon Fiorot stop Erin Blanchfield at UFC Atlantic City? Plus, one time for Chris Weidman
  • MMA Mania : Barber: ‘Boring’ Blanchield ‘Fought My Leftovers’
  • MMAFighting.com : Dana White reflects on ugly moment striking his wife, changes he made
  • MMA Junkie : Nate Landwehr happy with UFC on ESPN 54 switch from Pat Sabatini to Jamall Emmers: 'It's better for the fans'
  • UFC.com : Hunting Runs Deep In The Swiderski Family