Tapology Forums

Bill Burgess Appreciation Thread

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,473  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

07.06.2014 | 9:14 PM ET

It would seem that our dear Bill's absence from the forums may be due to his death. Can't find an obituary but this site is the one he would always link in his Culture thread and I see some familiar posts that he also posted on here. The date of death was also around when he stopped posting on here. 

Just found this in that thread: "Bad news today April 8, 2014. My big brother Bill has passed away. I don't know why, must have been a heart attack or stroke. I found him on the floor. He was such a good soul. Very much like my Mom and Dad. He will be sorely missed. He wanted so badly to live. We love you Bill and will see you on the other side. Anyone who would like to contribute to the costs, it would be extremely appreciated. Send what ever you feel like to 239 Oak St. #1 Mtn. view Ca 94041 Thanks Bob Burgess"

Mt. View was Bill's listed location on Tap.

So this thread is to commemorate the legend himself, he may not have been the most knowledgeable MMA fan but he definitely was passionate and his love for the Welterweight division is unmatched by anyone. 

RIP Billiam, was good to be an ally.

* Edited at 07.06.2014, 9:20 PM ET *

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

Responses Page 2

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

07.06.2014 | 11:03 PM ET

Bill Burgess made a great foil!!  He will be missed.  I was neither friend or foe, but Bill was good for the site and fun to engage in reindeer games with.

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

SonnensSyringe
SonnensSyringe
  • Predictions:  79,138  |  62.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,881
  • Post Score: 337

07.06.2014 | 11:50 PM ET

He was definitely one of the more under-appreciated members of this site. Sad to see such a passionate guy pass on. Here's hoping his family is holding up well. I feel immensely grateful to have been on Team Burgess. 

R.I.P William. 

* Edited at 07.07.2014, 12:04 AM ET *

"You look like a 1987 John Hughes high school bully." - Swickotine

ifightbears
ifightbears
  • Predictions:  2,175  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  600
  • Post Score: 257

07.07.2014 | 12:01 AM ET

Very sad news.  Like most people, I hardly ever agreed with anything Bill had to say but he was always classy in his posts and opinions and it was always appreciated.

RIP

"Wanna go to a club where people wee on each other?"

vazio
vazio
  • Predictions:  17,505  |  63.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,205
  • Post Score: 225

07.07.2014 | 12:17 AM ET

wow, I'm shocked. I'm not really a regular in the forums, so I think I never had a real conversation with him. But I lurked around enough to know him and his opinions. And yeah, many didn't agree with his views, but I've always admired the way he was always up for an argument, no matter how absurd his point of view was, defending it with clear passion for the sport. An appreciation thread is the least Tapology can do for a great member of the family. RIP, Bill.
yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

07.07.2014 | 12:36 AM ET

Wow! Was pretty shocked to read this ... whether clashing swords or serving as one of his allies he was always fun, passionate and honest to the bone in everything he did.

R.I.P. Bill, you will be missed.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

TheBloodTheory
TheBloodTheory
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  4
  • Post Score: 575

07.07.2014 | 4:29 AM ET

I came from ufc.com to discover Tapology. I read a couple of his posts while I was there and messaged him over at that site. I linked him to Tap and told him he should check out this site since it has engaging intellectual conversations. Mind you, I was under a different user name for Tap previously. I introduced him to this site and I was more than excited to touch base with him after my long hiatus from Tapology... very upsetting news.

Even though I haven't felt the loss of someone dear to me, Bill Burgess was a gentleman and a scholar. I could care less about people disagreeing with him, he had an opinion and he constructed it very soundly and passionately. You can never take that away from him. He's sorely missed and my condolences to his family.
dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  20,762  |  71.5%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

07.07.2014 | 5:09 AM ET

I don't believe in God or that there is a Heaven but today I sincerely hope I'm wrong, because if I should make it up there somehow it would be nice to have someone to argue with about the Welterweight division, someone to agree with about Dana White's stupid behavior, someone to watch the fights with from far above the clouds.

I was never a real ally of his and I can't help but feel guilty about some things I said to him now. One of his last posts on this site here was:

"@die  That last post you made was so way wicket cool I take back all the **** I wrote about you before."

I wish I could tell him the same, I take it all back Bill. I take it all back!

Rest In Peace...

* Edited at 07.07.2014, 6:36 AM ET *

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

TheMMAGuy
TheMMAGuy
  • Predictions:  12,111  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  93
  • Post Score: 353

07.07.2014 | 5:10 AM ET

Shocked to hear about this .after reading That baseball thread and posts from people who actually knew him sounds like he had a bad Heart condition and Diabetes just horrible news .  I don't Post much but I've always enjoyed reading Bill's Posts . I always respected how much time and thought he put into his comments . Even when you called out Bill on something he said he always gave you a very Polite response . there is no doubt the man had Passion

He will be Truly Missed . RIP Bill
AllHailKrull
AllHailKrull
  • Predictions:  1,522  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,672
  • Post Score: 180

07.07.2014 | 6:18 AM ET

Once i die and Anik eventually blows himself up in the name of Allah, i can't wait to see you two arguing again like old times. 

RIP Bill always seemed like a real, good bloke.

"People say ‘oh, so you should retire.’ Yeah, you want me to retire so you won’t get knocked out. - Vitor Belfort"

Ronwah
Ronwah
  • Predictions:  26,938  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,343
  • Post Score: 222

07.07.2014 | 6:54 AM ET

This is really sad news. We had quite a rocky acquaintance but we reached a plateau of common ground  and understanding in the end.
Thinking of his family at this time.

"“I've said if Ivanka weren't my daughter, perhaps I'd be dating her.""

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

07.07.2014 | 4:12 PM ET

RIP Bill. You always had some interesting reads on here and my thoughts go out to your family.

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

07.07.2014 | 4:18 PM ET

* Edited at 07.07.2014, 4:32 PM ET *

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

07.07.2014 | 5:07 PM ET

Bill and I didn't get always agree, but we did always get along, because Bill Burgess was a gentleman. I have nothing but respect for the man, and appreciation of his peaceful and loving disposition towards others. Memory eternal. 

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,727  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,776
  • Post Score: 273

07.07.2014 | 5:17 PM ET

RIP Bill. He took a lot of flack on here, but always stuck to his guns. I didn't always agree with what he said, but the guy brought a lot of character and discussion to the forums. I didn't know him personally, but it's hard to read this news and I hope his family the best in this situation. I'll drink this beer for you, Bill.

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

07.07.2014 | 10:37 PM ET

Thank you Bill.

Many users on this site know that Bill and I had a special relationship unlike any other. His death was something I suspected for months, but the confirmation doesn't make it hurt any less.

Rest in peace old friend.

EDIT: Reading this made me smile.

* Edited at 07.07.2014, 11:24 PM ET *

"الله أكبرl"

kibj411
kibj411

07.08.2014 | 11:00 AM ET

I don't post all that much but I do enjoy reading post from certain members. Mr. Burgess was one of them. He was clearly a passoniate fan. His eagerness to learn all he could about this sport  was unmatched. I didn't always agree with him, but I always valued his opinion. RIP
DelRose
DelRose

07.08.2014 | 11:55 AM ET

This is so sad, I was wondering where he's been. I remember one of his favorite MMA fighters were Diego sanchez, one thin. He and I had in common. Well rrespected and loved tapology user, I'll miss him RIP.

"That hole is tighter than a nuns nasty"

jodybanman
jodybanman
  • Predictions:  3,332  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,707
  • Post Score: 237

07.08.2014 | 11:08 PM ET

I liked Bill, I envied his passion and enthusiasm.  Condolences to his family.

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

07.08.2014 | 11:46 PM ET

I take it back, Bill. I take it back.

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,888  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

07.09.2014 | 12:26 AM ET

Rest in peace Bill Burgess.  Tapology will be far less interesting without you.

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : New video shows Max Holloway’s instant backstage reaction after legendary Justin Gaethje knockout
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Magomed By KO? Pereira ‘Doesn’t Have A Chin’
  • MMA Mania : Bellator Paris Fight Card, Rumors For Nurmagomedov vs. Shabliy
  • MMA Mania : New Title? McGregor Vs. Chandler ‘Should Be For A Belt’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 300 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media
  • MMA Junkie : Deiveson Figueiredo: 'I deserve to fight for the championship next' after UFC 300
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Should Max Holloway go back to 145 or stay at 155 after BMF title win?
  • MMA Mania : Math! Harrison Proves ‘PFL Champions Can Beat Anyone’
  • Middle Easy : Kayla Harrison Calls For Interim Title Fight with Julianna Pena at UFC 303: ‘I Will Make Myself Available’
  • MMA Junkie : Judges Gonna Judge: Did Arman Tsarukyan deserve UFC 300 nod vs. Charles Oliveira?
  • MMAFighting.com : Jorge Masvidal explains frustration dealing with ‘diva’ Nate Diaz for boxing match
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Praised Max Holloway For Making Elite Fighters “Seem Normal,” Talks Alex Pereira’s Success Without Wrestling Skills
  • Middle Easy : Sean O’Malley Reacts To Max Holloway’s “F*cking Legendary” Knockout Win At UFC 300, Thinks Holloway Should Stay At Lightweight
  • MMA Junkie : Bo Nickal explains callout of Anthony Hernandez at UFC 300: 'I want to start fighting better guys'
  • Middle Easy : Former NFL Star Chad Ochocinco Promises to ‘Thump’ Max Holloway’s Chin in Proposed Sparring Session
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway brought back sparring for UFC 300, says fighting Justin Gaethje ‘like going through the gates of hell’
  • MMA Mania : ‘Iconic’ Holloway ‘Always Been That Good’
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Reacts To Max Holloway’s ‘BMF’ KO At UFC 300, Dubs Justin Gaethje ‘Easy Fight’
  • MMA Junkie : Jiri Prochazka sets sights on another light heavyweight title shot after UFC 300
  • MMA Mania : How Coming Out Changed The Life Of Liz Carmouche