Topic: Ben Askren

Ben Askren must join the UFC. Really, what the hell.

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Idrownfish
Idrownfish
  • Predictions:  1,759  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,407
  • Post Score: 241

05.30.2014 | 1:16 PM ET

Some say he is boring, but I would pay three hundred dollars to see him fight Johny Hendricks. I know at least two other people that would be willing to do that as well.

I mean, he is by far the best fighter not in the UFC right now. For Dana to refuse to sign him was the dumbest move ever.

* Edited at 05.30.2014, 1:18 PM ET *

"Let's just say if we fought again I wouldn't need to keep my hands up." - Luke Rockhold on Michael Bisping's punching power

"Funky" Ben Askren

Fighter Details

• Name: Ben Askren
  • Pro MMA Record: 19-2-0, 1 NC (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: Funky
  • Current Streak: 2 Losses
  • Last Fight: October 26, 2019 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Welterweight | Last Weigh-In: 171.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Roufusport MMA Academy
  • Height: 5'11" (181cm) | Reach: 71.0" (180cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $1,160,000 USD
  • Born: Cedar Rapids, Iowa
  • Fighting out of: Hartland, Wisconsin, United States
  • College: University of Missouri
  • Foundation Style: Wrestling
  • Head Coach: Duke Roufus
  • Other Coaches: N/A
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

Corey Wamsley
Corey Wamsley
  • Predictions:  9,873  |  62.3%
  • Forum Posts:  284
  • Post Score: 124

05.30.2014 | 1:39 PM ET

as big of  fan of Robbie Lawler as I am I feel like Askren could hold him down and get the sub and if Askren can even be competitive with Lawler then he 100% deserves to be in the UFC

"To win without risk is to triumph without glory"

BORD3RLIN3
BORD3RLIN3

05.30.2014 | 2:56 PM ET

Ben Askren bores the tits of me but with jon finch out of the ufc I do see a place for Ben Askren in the ufc .
benjaminbrandt
benjaminbrandt
  • Predictions:  18,270  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  15,716
  • Post Score: 229

05.30.2014 | 2:58 PM ET

Askren beats Brown & Lawler. 

Beats Ellenburger

Loses to Lombard (maybe)

Loses to Hendricks

Beats GSP

That puts him at an unproven #5. 

Beating Brock Larson or whoever the hell One FC has simply shaves valuable fights off a limited career. 

"I have not yet begun to defile myself. "

ED209
ED209
  • Predictions:  7,297  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  3,437
  • Post Score: 213

05.30.2014 | 2:59 PM ET

In my opinion he is clearly skilled enough to be competitive in the UFC. With the way they cut boring fighters that don't have massive draws among French Canadians though I'm not sure they'd want him. I actually don't find him that boring though.

"30-26 Tim Boetsch"

Corey Wamsley
Corey Wamsley

05.30.2014 | 3:07 PM ET

he easily beats hector imo his style would have hector gassed within 3 minutes

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

05.30.2014 | 3:15 PM ET

Idk how many have seen this, but thought to post it. Hendricks beat Askren in a HS wrestling match.

* Edited at 05.30.2014, 3:15 PM ET *

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

05.30.2014 | 3:17 PM ET

I don't find Askren boring at all. His chain wrestling is pretty incredible to watch and even tho it looks like he's in slow motions sometimes he still can't be stopped. I don't blame Ben Askren for all of his fights being boring, but rather the ****** competition he's fought so far. I mean Koreshkov or whatever the **** his name is basically became a heavy bag after round 1 for him to beat on.

It's not Ben's fault nobody can stop his wrestling and no one could get him off their back or out of mount. He's clearly improving and i think we'll see him in the UFC within 18 months.

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

05.30.2014 | 3:32 PM ET

Dafuq you guys talking about?? Robbie Lawler didn't get dominated by maybe the only guy in MMA who has better wrestling than Askren and you think Askren could beat him? You think Askren's got Hendricks' chin. Lawler can fend off Askren and get enough time in the fight where there's space to hit. I have a feeling it would only take one. I know Askren's style is different to Johny's and that doesn't necessarily mean he'd do the same against Askren, I just think he's one of the few guys in the division that can actually create room and opportunity against the funky one.

Lawler 2.0 would beat Askren.

That said, the fact that the opinions in this thread are actual relevant discussion is by itself proof that he belongs under the UFC banner. I just hope if he does get to the UFC and start boring the **** out of people they don't suddenly turn their spots (remember how hated Fitch was until he got cut? Then suddenly everybody's a ******* fan and "if you don't like Fitch's style go watch boxing, blah blah blah"). All you "Askren doesn't bore me people", that's great, he doesn't bore me either, but just remember how less active you get, the higher up the ladder you go and hold that tune when Ben starts controlling fighters rather than dominating them (which he eventually will). Don't be hipster ***** who like him just because he's a UFC outcast.

Oh, and have I said Lawler beats Askren already?

* Edited at 05.30.2014, 3:35 PM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Corey Wamsley
Corey Wamsley

05.30.2014 | 3:38 PM ET

man I have been a a huge fan of Lawler since I got into the sport like 9 years ago and I feel like askren is so relentless with his style that he could beat Lawler out of his last 5 fights everyone has taken him down except voelker and if askren gets someone down he is so active with his movement and passes and attacks in weird ways he 100% has the skills to beat Lawler but if they were to fight I would for sure back my guy but to say askren stands no chance makes you look like a fan blinded by bias

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,473  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

05.30.2014 | 3:52 PM ET

I don't find Askren boring at all, he's continuously active and has translated a bunch of wrestling techniques that you don't normally see in MMA. Plus he has the scrambling style of grappling that I love, prefer seeing insane scrambles over sub's a lot of times. He's so unathletic yet dominant

* Edited at 05.30.2014, 3:54 PM ET *

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

Rasheh
Rasheh
  • Predictions:  3,410  |  67.1%
  • Forum Posts:  31
  • Post Score: 300

05.30.2014 | 4:04 PM ET

One FC needs to figure some kind of deal and make Askren vs Palhares happened that is ony match worthy of Askren time outside UFC. Maybe Fitch or Shields but both fights would be wrestle**** of epic proportions. 

"It's 30 minutes away i'll be there in 10."

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

05.30.2014 | 4:10 PM ET

@Corey, I didn't say Askren has no chance though did I? I also implicitly stated it was my opinion that Lawler beats Askren (by saying the others were opinions I implied mine was too).

Also, like you said, Robbie has been taken down, and he got up, against a guy who's arguably better at it than Askren (the only time he didn't was deep into the 5th round and it looked as though if he had more time he would).
I also concurred that Askren's style is different so this doesn't prove a lot. I just think that Lawler specifically might be the guy with the best style to finish Askren besides Hendricks and was just a bit weirded out about how so many here count out Robbie completely (yet give Lombard a chance).

That said, I agree that my opinion might be a tad fanboyish, but since Askren's the one who hasn't been tested at the highest levels yet, while Robbie's been in there with at least a couple of the best wrestlers MMA has to offer, one might argue my opinion gets the proverbial nod ;)

As of now, most of what's said about Ben is theory and potential while Robbie's actually got more groundwork relevant to the discussion.

* Edited at 05.30.2014, 4:27 PM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

amp112
amp112

05.30.2014 | 5:37 PM ET

Robbie has really good wrestling, but of course, no where near Askren. I think the only way that Askren couldn't get a takedown is if he fought someone over 200 lbs. Realistically, Lombard and Hendricks. Hendricks is just stout and powerful. Lombard is very explosive. However, Hendricks could go 25 minutes. Lombard would really only have the 1st to do damage before fatigue set in. Although as we saw in the Shields fight, even though his pace slows, his explosiveness is still there. Dat sprawl...
Idrownfish
Idrownfish
  • Predictions:  1,759  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,407
  • Post Score: 241

05.30.2014 | 6:42 PM ET

There are no boring fighters. This is a sport. Are the Boston Red Sox a boring team? Is Messi a boring player? Is Hamilton a boring racer?

When was the last time Tiger Woods scored a boring birdie?

The concept of a "boring fighter" should be dropped. MMA can't be a sport if this kind of thing is even discussed.

"Let's just say if we fought again I wouldn't need to keep my hands up." - Luke Rockhold on Michael Bisping's punching power

cal1
cal1
  • Predictions:  22,053  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,001
  • Post Score: 251

05.30.2014 | 7:11 PM ET

I want to know where you came up with the monetary figure you provided. I raise your three hundred, sir. I would pay 3 kabillion dollars to see him in the UFC. 

"UFC 151 NEVER FORGET"

amp112
amp112

05.30.2014 | 7:57 PM ET

Golf can be exciting? You lie!
thefreeman
thefreeman
  • Predictions:  9,496  |  60.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,751
  • Post Score: 198

05.30.2014 | 9:07 PM ET

I would love to see Askren in the UFC or the very least WSOF, it kills me to see him in ONE FC unless they somehow manage to field even a remotely competitive opponent.
legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

05.30.2014 | 9:35 PM ET

I hope Dana removes his head from his ass and sign Askren now that his Bellator Cooties have been cleansed by ONE FC, although I think it will take at least one more dominating win from him.

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14
  • Predictions:  8,848  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,902
  • Post Score: 195

05.31.2014 | 1:16 AM ET

I want the funk in the UFC. I still remember back when I used to hate the guy, then he grew on me. The turning point was probably the time he had Koreshkov back mounted and started a USA chant. I knew couldn't dislike him anymore after that lol.

Dana not bringing Askren to the UFC is just stupid and kind of immature. You can't tell Askren no yet hold onto all these random dudes off of TUF.

"I fight em all. Men, women, children, ******** people, it doesn't matter. If you hit me, we're gonna fight. -Charles Bennett"

Jotun
Jotun
  • Predictions:  601  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  207
  • Post Score: 125

05.31.2014 | 1:23 AM ET

I'd love to see Askren in the UFC just so I don't have to hear the arguments of who he would beat. 

I believe that he'd end up making a few good runs but losing to top guys. So many guys have looked like world beaters outside of the UFC and then they are big let downs once they get there. The level of competition out there just isn't the same.

"Why do today what you can do tomorrow?"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : MMA promotion adds bonus inspired by Max Holloway's UFC 300 knockout, and it's pretty wild
  • MMA Junkie : Daniel Cormier: Michael Chandler 'not driving the sales' in Conor McGregor fight, unlikely to get PPV points
  • Middle Easy : Jake Paul Lays Down $10 Million MMA Challenge to Nate Diaz and Jorge Masvidal: ‘I Want Either One’
  • MMA Mania : Garcia Misses Weight In Latest Circus Stunt
  • MMAFighting.com : Devin Haney vs. Ryan Garcia weigh-in video live now
  • Bad Left Hook : Charlo invokes right to Madrimov title fight
  • Jits Magazine : Free Fight Friday: Renato Canuto vs Damon Morgan
  • MMA Junkie : Nate Diaz sued by Rodney Petersen over 2023 New Orleans street fight
  • MMA Junkie : Nate Diaz sued by 'Not Logan Paul' Rodney Petersen over 2023 New Orleans street fight
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Haney Vs Garcia Official Weigh Ins!
  • MMAFighting.com : Nate Diaz targeted in new Rodney Petersen lawsuit for New Orleans street brawl, Diaz rep responds
  • MMAFighting.com : Ryan Garcia badly misses weight for Devin Haney fight
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘3 pounds is nothing stop crying’: Ryan Garcia, pros react to Garcia missing weight for Devin Haney showdown
  • Bad Left Hook : Ryan Garcia misses weight, will still fight Devin Haney
  • MMA Mania : ‘Half-Mexican’ Costa Is Not A ‘Dirty’ Brazilian!
  • MMAFighting.com : Olympic champ David Taylor says ‘door is open’ for move to MMA; Daniel Cormier tells him ‘stick to wrestling’
  • UFC.com : Steve Erceg Hopes To Open Some Eyes
  • UFC.com : Julian Erosa's Monumental March
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 303 ticket prices: Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler could break promotion's gate record
  • Middle Easy : Max Holloway Snaps Back at Ilia Topuria Over BMF Title Demands: ‘That’s Kind of Un-BMF’