Tapology Forums

What is going on with Bellator?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

05.11.2014 | 4:19 PM ET

First the Featherweight division has three title contenders, tournament winners lined up. Frodo Khasbulaev, Patricio Pitbull and Daniel Weichel..Frodo has been out for like 18 months and all I've heard is...Visa issues. Pitbull has already skipped the Russian for his third crack at the belt and second chance against Curran.

Joe Warren has the (interim ???) Bantamweight title and Bjorn is saying Dantes is passing out and seeing black spots, days after a minor concussion in training and they're flying him out to California for world-class treatment?

Wasn't Eddie Alvarez the Lightweight Champion? Apparently Brooks vs Chandler is for the belt. So after being blatantly lied to that Eddie was still in the fight, they strip him of the belt at their convenience with no explanation? What happens to Eddie, is he finally released?

Meanwhile Schlemenko has no contenders so he's picking on Tito?  What happened to Bellators contract with Slava Vasilevsky? They are actually going through with this PPV? I'm a Bellator supporter but it feels like they're falling apart at the seams all of a sudden. Wonder how long Viacom funds this.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

Responses

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,478  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

05.11.2014 | 4:27 PM ET

Injuries happen but unlike the UFC, Bellator does not have many marketable replacements.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

05.11.2014 | 7:23 PM ET

Bellator seems to have shot their load and I guess some of their "prospects" have not lived up to the hype.

Also, as long as you have multiple dark matches, it's hard to take you seriously. They're the only major org that can't manage their time properly. At least with RFA, Titan, Legacy, etc you know what matches you're gonna miss.

My theory, you can't run an MMA promotion at it's optimum when you look at it like a "business opportunity". I'm talking to you Viacom.
unbeknownst
unbeknownst
  • Predictions:  5,020  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,679

05.11.2014 | 8:34 PM ET

"Featherweight division has three title contenders, tournament winners lined up. Frodo Khasbulaev, Patricio Pitbull and Daniel Weichel..."

You're also forgetting that after Pitbull, Daniel Straus has been promised the shot at the Curran/Pitbull winner before either Frodo or Weichel.

"I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture, and kill them."

nogfan
nogfan
  • Predictions:  15,253  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,269
  • Post Score: 199

05.11.2014 | 8:48 PM ET

That and Frodo's Visa issues. IF BellaLOLtor does collapse i would like to see Pat Curran fight KZ or Poirier. And Michael Chandler fight Gray Maynard.  Eddie Alvarez vs.  Josh Thomson.
MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,254  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,483
  • Post Score: 203

05.11.2014 | 8:58 PM ET

Wouldn't BeLOLtor make more sense? BellaLOLtor? VVut? 

* Edited at 05.11.2014, 8:58 PM ET *

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

05.11.2014 | 9:00 PM ET

Also, Eddie has not been stripped of his title.. if you knew how to read, you'd know this. 

ED209
ED209
  • Predictions:  7,297  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  3,437
  • Post Score: 213

05.11.2014 | 9:02 PM ET

I still like Bellator.

"30-26 Tim Boetsch"

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

05.11.2014 | 9:18 PM ET

BellaLOLgosi´s dead 

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

nogfan
nogfan
  • Predictions:  15,253  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,269
  • Post Score: 199

05.11.2014 | 9:44 PM ET

I listed Chandler first because i just did, not to signify him as champion.  Those are just the fights i want to see. But i can't argue with Taco's logic  because, i being just a mere mortal,  wouldn't be able to comprehend  the complex and intricate methods that he has developed to become the god of internet trolling.

* Edited at 05.11.2014, 9:47 PM ET *

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

05.11.2014 | 10:06 PM ET

I was referring to Nomad, now crawl back in your cubbyhole. 

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588

05.11.2014 | 10:36 PM ET

I wouldn't say I like Bellator. I like their fighters and the fights they put on. And Jimmy Smith. He's pretty cool. But not Bellator as a promotion.
buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

05.12.2014 | 11:50 AM ET

Jimmy Smith is cool? The poor man´s boring Joe Rogan?

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

jmcdowell
jmcdowell
  • Predictions:  1,448  |  63.7%
  • Forum Posts:  450
  • Post Score: 188

05.12.2014 | 12:32 PM ET

I liked him in "Fight Quest"

"“I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious” - Lombardi"

2 Nyce
2 Nyce
  • Predictions:  19,158  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,852
  • Post Score: 214

05.12.2014 | 2:29 PM ET

Fight Quest was cool, it would have been better if they trained in each art for at least a month, a week sucked .
MachineGunWhite
MachineGunWhite
  • Predictions:  13,530  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7
  • Post Score: 271

05.12.2014 | 2:50 PM ET

Woaaah slow down!

The reason they line up multiple tournaments and have multiple number one contenders.... is well because of the all too common injury bug in mma. So if a title match is set up and the likely challenger gets hurt they have a back up plan in place. It's not that the company is going to to crap it's that they are actually pretty well prepared for any kind of foreseeable injury that might destroy a tittle match. Same goes for the interim champions. They pull all of these out of their arses when champs like Dantas.. Alvarez.. and formally Veigh get hurt and they still need to pull together a title match... Soo wait here where's the multiple tournament winners and number one contenders come in reaaaaaaaaly handy because they were training and ready for their shot. And after that we have the hopefully the easy marketable title unification match down the stretch. In honestly I'm very impressed with how Bellator had set up pretty good back up plan using the hard to control tournament arrangement in mma.  

So before you blow your load read all the facts because you sound like a troll.

P.S. The Tito and Schlemenko fight is a fight Schlemenko wanted and Bjorn was even a little reluctant to give him since the size difference and the freak show factor, but the champ gets what he wants and he wanted washed up big head on a platter served to him with whale arse on the side. This has nothing to do with lack of middleweight contenders. The dude just wanted on the ppv against one of the biggest and most controversial washed up names in mma next to Kenny Wayne Shamrock.

* Edited at 05.12.2014, 2:51 PM ET *

"If you're coming on, then come on! - The Harold Clarence Howard"

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,478  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

05.12.2014 | 3:21 PM ET

Its a smart move by schlemenko.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

05.12.2014 | 3:27 PM ET

@MachineGun, lining up multiple deserving contenders (at least according to Bellator "rules") just in case one gets injured is kind of dumb because ... well, what if none of them get injured. In the 145 division you have 3 guys that all are entitled to an immediate shot who need to either stay inactive or fight again (which is not what they were promised). 

Also, the reason the 145 line is so long is because Curran got the immediate rematch, not because of "reserves" from the tournament. And now with Straus also being promised a shot without going through the tournament it gets really dumb.

The tournament format, though fun for a while, isn't suited for combat spots in a major promotion. It just doesn't work because injuries **** **** up.

Also, yes, Shlemenko asked for Tito, but that was only because, as @Nomad said, he has no big fights in his division and the guy wants to grow his brand to make the next step up and the only way was to fight a "name" and he needed it to happen on the first PPV where most eyes would be. You think he'd be asking for Tito if there were any marquee fights for him at Bellator? He saw this PPV with Chandler/Alvarez III blowing up and needed on there with an opponent the fans know fast so he picked on Tito. I can promise you that Shlemenko didn't grow up as a kid wanting to fight "the legend Tito Ortiz". This was a business call and a smart one on his behalf and the fact that this freak show fight was his only way into the bright lights (or at least brighter than anything else Bellator can offer him) actually serves as a perfect testament to the state of Bellator and how badly they're handling being in that weird spot where you're a big promotion but not even close to the #1 spot.  They're grasping and they're doing it in the worst way ever.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Andorra And Brazil Bring Stellar AJP Tournaments To Their Territories
  • MMAFighting.com : New video shows Max Holloway’s instant backstage reaction after legendary Justin Gaethje knockout
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Magomed By KO? Pereira ‘Doesn’t Have A Chin’
  • MMA Mania : Bellator Paris Fight Card, Rumors For Nurmagomedov vs. Shabliy
  • MMA Mania : New Title? McGregor Vs. Chandler ‘Should Be For A Belt’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 300 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media
  • MMA Junkie : Deiveson Figueiredo: 'I deserve to fight for the championship next' after UFC 300
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Should Max Holloway go back to 145 or stay at 155 after BMF title win?
  • MMA Mania : Math! Harrison Proves ‘PFL Champions Can Beat Anyone’
  • Middle Easy : Kayla Harrison Calls For Interim Title Fight with Julianna Pena at UFC 303: ‘I Will Make Myself Available’
  • MMA Junkie : Judges Gonna Judge: Did Arman Tsarukyan deserve UFC 300 nod vs. Charles Oliveira?
  • MMAFighting.com : Jorge Masvidal explains frustration dealing with ‘diva’ Nate Diaz for boxing match
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Praised Max Holloway For Making Elite Fighters “Seem Normal,” Talks Alex Pereira’s Success Without Wrestling Skills
  • Middle Easy : Sean O’Malley Reacts To Max Holloway’s “F*cking Legendary” Knockout Win At UFC 300, Thinks Holloway Should Stay At Lightweight
  • MMA Junkie : Bo Nickal explains callout of Anthony Hernandez at UFC 300: 'I want to start fighting better guys'
  • Middle Easy : Former NFL Star Chad Ochocinco Promises to ‘Thump’ Max Holloway’s Chin in Proposed Sparring Session
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway brought back sparring for UFC 300, says fighting Justin Gaethje ‘like going through the gates of hell’
  • MMA Mania : ‘Iconic’ Holloway ‘Always Been That Good’
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Reacts To Max Holloway’s ‘BMF’ KO At UFC 300, Dubs Justin Gaethje ‘Easy Fight’
  • MMA Junkie : Jiri Prochazka sets sights on another light heavyweight title shot after UFC 300