Topic: dos Anjos vs. Nurmagomedov

Prelims? Really?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Timtek
Timtek
  • Predictions:  463  |  74.9%
  • Forum Posts:  48
  • Post Score: 165

04.08.2014 | 11:00 AM ET

How is this on the prelims? This is going to be a dogfight! 

"I'm like a stepping razor don't you watch my size I'm dangerous. -P. Tosh"

Responses

curtwag84
curtwag84
  • Predictions:  13,940  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,695
  • Post Score: 273

04.08.2014 | 11:16 AM ET

Prediction: correct Nurmagomedov   correct Decision  

Probably to get more people to tune into FS1. More people will tune in for this awesome fight than would for Tavares vs Romero. Which will also give them a good lead in to get people to switch over to big FOX. I cant wait for Big FOX to start putting more than 4 fights on. If they can make me watch NASCAR all day I think they should be able to dedicate a 4 hour block (8 fights) to UFC

* Edited at 04.08.2014, 11:16 AM ET *

"I'd like to take this chance, to appologize. To absolutely nobody. -Connor McGreGOAT"

cal1
cal1
  • Predictions:  22,053  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,001
  • Post Score: 251

04.08.2014 | 11:19 AM ET

It's an injustice to the fighters. You would think you would want the fighter who will be in title shot talks to get the HUGE exposure on big FOX, but instead they will be pushing women to the casuals. I get that, I really do, so switch this with the Taveres vs Romero bout. If this were a PPV, I would totally understand having this as your prelim headliner to get people hype for the PPV, but it isn't. 99% of the people taking the time to watch the prelims on a cable channel Fox Sports 1 are sure as hell going to switch over to a free channel. 

"UFC 151 NEVER FORGET"

blitzkrieg
blitzkrieg
  • Predictions:  4,528  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,449
  • Post Score: 285

04.08.2014 | 11:22 AM ET

I know.

Meanwhile, Tate- Carmouche is CO Main. I'm not saying that fight will suck, cause it wont, but certainly this one is more deserving and meaningful title-wise; both opponents are on a wining streak while Tate is 1-3 and Carmouche 2-2 on their last 4, both coming off a loss.

"@AndySalasMMA"

Kpro
Kpro
  • Predictions:  11,208  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4,927
  • Post Score: 255

04.08.2014 | 11:28 AM ET

UFC on FOX 11
Co-Main Event: Miesha Tate vs. Liz Carmouche

Prelims: Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Rafael Dos Anjos

;)

"I Stab Waterbeds!"

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

04.08.2014 | 12:09 PM ET

^I love that show

1. this fight should be on the main card, there´s no reason why it shouldn´t

2. I get Misha vs Carmouche as co main,  the UFC is pushing hard with WMMA because they know Ronda won´t keep fighting  for much longer, so they need to build interest in other  woman              fighters because the UFC name/brand will look bad if they have to cancel  WMMA due to lack of interest just because 1 fighter retired.

that being said I don´t care Misha vs Liz as co main but it does bother the **** out of me this fight not being in the main card

* Edited at 04.08.2014, 12:10 PM ET *

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

Timtek
Timtek
  • Predictions:  463  |  74.9%
  • Forum Posts:  48
  • Post Score: 165

04.19.2014 | 11:45 PM ET

Someone just asked Nurmagomedov if he felt disrespected for not being on the main card. 

Dana said "what kind of ******** question was that?"  

I thought the question was legit. 

"I'm like a stepping razor don't you watch my size I'm dangerous. -P. Tosh"

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

04.20.2014 | 12:43 AM ET

That's not a bad question. Not great. But I'd like to hear it answered. And there's nothing to be ashamed of if you're the UFC. They got ******' Joe Benavidez fighting on the prelims for 172 and he fought for the title twice and is top 5 in his division
yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

04.20.2014 | 3:17 AM ET

Prelims and undercard are not the same thing (even though they're also called preliminary on the site).

And Joe may be top 5 (let's be honest, top 2-3) but he's fighting a dude outside most people's top 10 so the fight is perfect for (again, as the UFC put it) headlining the undercard and giving a last minute booster of PPV buys/main event ratings.

That's their M/O ... the undercard headliner may many a time be better that the first 2 fights on the main card because it's "headlining" and "oomphing" main card buys/ratings.

By the way, I'm not stating my personal opinion on whether that's a good strategy or not (it probably is, but I'm too ignorant on the subject to have a proper opinion), just explaining it from the UFC's POV, which I'm guessing on from comments here and there from the commentators, TV presenters and Dana's remarks. They seem to use the "undercard headliner" phrase quite naturally as if it's a "thing".

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,476  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,786
  • Post Score: 180

04.20.2014 | 9:57 AM ET

Prediction: correct Nurmagomedov   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Ok, I'm confused Yoss. What's the difference between undercard and prelims? I thought they were the same thing also.

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

2 Nyce
2 Nyce
  • Predictions:  19,158  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,852
  • Post Score: 214

04.20.2014 | 12:22 PM ET

The way I see it now, I would consider the fight pass fights Prelims.  Then the tv portion that isn't the main card the undercard.
amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

04.20.2014 | 3:45 PM ET

In boxing, the undercard is all fights except for the main event (or co-main)

Prelims would be the non-main card fights. So at UFC on Fox 11 that would be all the fights from Lewis/May to RDA/Khabib.

But the undercard would be all the fights from Lewis/May to Romero/Tavares. Main event was Browne/Werdum, co-main was Tate/Carmouche.

EDIT: Here's the definition used on wikipedia.

* Edited at 04.20.2014, 3:47 PM ET *

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Jose Aldo Discusses UFC 301 Return And Boxing Match With Floyd Mayweather, Backs Conor McGregor To Finish Michael Chandler
  • Middle Easy : Leon Edwards’ Coach is ’99 Percent’ Certain the Belal Muhammad Fight Will Happen at UFC 304
  • UFC.com : Ryan Spann: Consistency Builds Confidence
  • MMA Junkie : Dan Hooker claps back at Renato Moicano: 'You're the easiest money I've ever seen in my life, you chinless scumbag'
  • MMAFighting.com : Devin Haney releases first statement since Ryan Garcia loss, Oscar De La Hoya responds
  • MMA Mania : Velasquez Headed To Trial In September
  • MMA Junkie : UFC veterans in MMA, boxing and bareknuckle action April 25-27
  • MMAFighting.com : Roundtable: Is BKFC Mike Perry one of the 10 biggest draws in combat sports?
  • MMA Mania : ‘Let’s Go, Colby!’
  • MMA Junkie : PFL MENA 1 lineup announced
  • Bad Left Hook : Predictions: Will Jose Ramirez and Vergil Ortiz Jr shine on Saturday?
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301 Almost Had ‘Scarface’ Vs. ‘Dominator’
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Zubaira Tukhugov reveals Khabib Nurmagomedov was ‘going to rip contract up’ if he didn’t fight at UFC 242
  • MMA Mania : Meet PFL’s Latest Flyweight Signing, Melissa Balic!
  • Jits Magazine : Elijah Dorsey To Challenge Max Hanson For Welterweight Title At Enigma Invitational 15
  • Jits Magazine : ADXC 4: Abdul-Kareem Al Sewady And Amin Youb Join The Main Card In A Welterweight Bout
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Buckley Lands UFC St. Louis Co-Main Vs. Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 91 Odds, Under Dogs And Best Bets!
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Just continue being the best’: Crawford looks forward to upcoming title fight with Madrimov
  • MMA Mania : Doumbe Gets New Opponent For Bellator Paris