Tapology Forums

Is the UFC screwing Nate Diaz?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

03.31.2014 | 2:33 PM ET

Nate Diaz was making $50K per fight to show with another $50K to win, when he fought Benson Henderson.

Then the UFC dropped him down to $15K per fight to show and another $15K to win.

That means, even if he wins his fights, he receives $70K less per fight.

What should Nate do?  Should he simply fight his best and when his contract runs out, demand his salary be restored to his former $50K or not sign?  That is what I would recommend if I were his manager or agent.

Here is some background a to how and why he got his salary cut.  

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/5/17/4337546/morning-report-ufc-dana-white-nate-diaz-suspended-cut-fined-bryan-caraway-pay-healy

Nate's manager, Mike Kogan said, "Cause I suck as a manager."

Is the UFC taking unfair advantage of Nate?  Is Nate being screwed financially by the UFC?

If you think he is, up-vote this post.  If you think Nate is not being taken advantage of, down-vote this post.

* Edited at 03.31.2014, 2:54 PM ET *

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

Responses Page 2

Kpro
Kpro
  • Predictions:  11,208  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4,927
  • Post Score: 255

03.31.2014 | 7:16 PM ET

"I suspect that when Diaz used the slur, '******', the UFC over-reacted.  When they threatened to cut him, I suspect Diaz felt coerced into signing anything to stay in the UFC.  Big mistake.  He should have threatened to walk away.  "  -Bill

His negotiations were during his title fight training camp, he didn't know for sure he was facing Benson for sure until a week or two before the fight.  Nick talks about it in an interview, says it was Nate's worst camp ever.  Didn't want to spring big money on training partners not sure if he'd fight, so he went through the camp worried with no extra expenses to the camp.

A title fight would be a way to coerce a signing where threatening to walk away doesn't work.

"I Stab Waterbeds!"

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

04.01.2014 | 10:58 AM ET

Ramsey Nijem is 26 today

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

yossgold
yossgold

04.01.2014 | 10:59 AM ET

^Instead of rehashing this hashed-to-death subject I thought I'd just add another irrelevant piece of information that caught the right side of my eye, "Usual Suspects" style ...

* Edited at 04.01.2014, 11:00 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Dr3w Cornish
Dr3w Cornish
  • Predictions:  1,642  |  60.7%
  • Forum Posts:  99
  • Post Score: 142

04.01.2014 | 4:46 PM ET

The only people screwing the Diaz bros, are the Diaz bros. The need to learn to act to adults, shut the hell up, and fight who the UFC wants them to fight... 

" The human brain can subjugate anything, even real pain. -Bruce Lee. The point is the doing of them rather than the accomplishments. There is no actor, but the action; there is no experiencer, but the experience. -Bruce Lee."

curtwag84
curtwag84
  • Predictions:  13,940  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,695
  • Post Score: 273

04.01.2014 | 4:49 PM ET

Maybe Nate needs to start WAR MMA back up to scare dana into giving him a raise so he doesnt have to risk getting taken over by elite competition.

"I'd like to take this chance, to appologize. To absolutely nobody. -Connor McGreGOAT"

cal1
cal1
  • Predictions:  22,053  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,001
  • Post Score: 251

04.01.2014 | 7:05 PM ET

Asking for a $4.20 donation to watch the WAR MMA PPV was apparently such a great idea that Nick made enough money on the one event to retire forever. 

"UFC 151 NEVER FORGET"

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

04.08.2014 | 10:14 PM ET

Diaz being......well, he's being a Diaz.

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

JustynOfOsiris
JustynOfOsiris
  • Predictions:  4,334  |  57.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,239
  • Post Score: 122

04.08.2014 | 10:31 PM ET

$60,000 to show and $60,000 to win is a pretty awesome amount of money. Maybe he should stop *****ing and start winning fights.

"Is reality really realistic?"

MMAsamurai8
MMAsamurai8
  • Predictions:  1,206  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  152
  • Post Score: 50

04.08.2014 | 10:37 PM ET

@zarog. hey man theres nothing wrong with having the same conversation again at a later time, new people can get involved that didn't see it and new opinions and info comes out I think its helpful

"Be water my freind"

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

04.08.2014 | 10:37 PM ET

Dana is basically accepting they're paying **** to Nate Diaz he just thinks that's what Nate deserves, maybe he was stupid and didn't read the contract or he was stupid and got tricked into accepting a crappy deal or he may just got things wrong. But it does look like the UFC is not taking care of his fighters

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

MMAsamurai8
MMAsamurai8

04.08.2014 | 10:43 PM ET

I think that issues like the one between nate and the ufc are a real problem.

ive said many times that I think the best thing for mma is for there to be one dominant orginzation so that there is one champ and one ladder to climb.

Its no good when theres several champs, no one knows who's the best, and each promoter can do whatever they want. kind like how boxing is.

So the ufc needs to make sure they are as fair as they can be to the fighter, but also the fighters need to respect and support the ufc to ensure that people can always recognize its champ as the best. if both parties try not to take advantage of the other the whole thing should stay strong

"Be water my freind"

MMAsamurai8
MMAsamurai8

04.08.2014 | 10:51 PM ET

the biggest problem I think is the UFC trying to get away with a little too much. if they want to remain the dominant organization they absolutely MUST have all the top fighters. I think everyone can agree that it is not good for the sport as whole for all the fighters to be in separate organizations avoiding each other. they cant just let fighters leave because of money if they are top notch fighters. Nate Diaz is a funny story though because he's already fought for the title and has lost since then. so it wouldn't destroy the prestige of the UFC if he was cut but it would not be good. The situation with his training partner Gilbert Melendez was a different though because many people think he won the belt and he is at the very top of the division. they cant let him leave without getting his fair shot at fighting and winning or then you cant be sure that the UFC has the most dominant lightweight in the world. The UFC has done a decent job with letting all the best fighters get a shot to be the best except for one obvious case, that they should try to avoid repeating at all case.

that mistake would be fedor emilianenko. (Im still prayin they can get him in there at least once)

"Be water my freind"

MMAsamurai8
MMAsamurai8

04.08.2014 | 10:57 PM ET

not too keen on them cutting jake shields either. hes not my favorite but you cant deny his position in the division warranted them keeping him

"Be water my freind"

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

04.08.2014 | 11:43 PM ET

Wrong thread

* Edited at 04.09.2014, 12:20 AM ET *

unbeknownst
unbeknownst
  • Predictions:  5,020  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,679
  • Post Score: 208

04.09.2014 | 4:12 AM ET

The UFC only deserves to be the one dominant organization if it's whiling to take care of the fighters and the fans.

The fighters don't owe it the sport or the UFC to keep the UFC the one dominant organization. It's 100% on the UFC.

Like all major sports, the UFC revenue should be split around 50/50 between the organization and the fighters. 

"I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture, and kill them."

yossgold
yossgold

04.09.2014 | 6:16 AM ET

The longer version of the his interview with Ariel Helwani from MMAFighting.com

"My contract is all f*cked up. I want to be paid like these other fighters" -- He signed that exact contract A MONTH AGO!!! If it's such a ****** contract, why did he sign?????

"I don't talk to the UFC. No one calls me. I'm not going to call them begging." -- Well, they kinda called him to negotiate his new contract, why should they be calling him again other than to offer him a fight (which he claims he'll turn down anyway because he isn't being paid enough, which apparently wasn't the case A ******* MONTH AGO - I guess he had one of those lunches with his training partners where they talked business and ****, got him thinking)?? What does he expect them to do? Call him up every month to see if he's still happy with his contract? See one of his "more money" tweets and rush to the phone?? He's not happy, he should pick up the phone.

"I take every fight" -- Except for the Khabib fight, which he apparently isn't being paid enough to take.

"Then they tweeted out that I turned down the fight, and I never turned down the fight." -- Er, that^ is called turning down a fight.

"They tried to do me dirty." -- By offering him the exact amount that's written in his contract that he signed A ******* MONTH AGO!!!

"If I can get released, I can go fight somewhere and make some money" -- Who the ****'s going to pay him more (or at least much more) than 60k/60k?????

"I'm sure Arianny Celeste, Brittney Palmer, Joe Rogan, Bruce Buffer, probably you, everybody makes more money than I do" -- From the UFC - Hell no. But every one of those names most likely has WAY more money than Diaz because all of them don't rely on UFC pay as their main income. If Buffer, Arianny and Brittany can bank on UFC recognition to make ****loads of money so can ******* Nate Diaz.

"I think I'm the biggest draw in the lightweight division" - He's up there, but he's not the biggest, imo.

Dude needs to grow up. 

Yeah, UFC pay sucks, but they're not the reason he's broke. They're definitely not the reason he owes the IRS money and with his pay over his UFC years with fight night bonuses (which he won't even get close to those amounts anywhere else) and using his popularity to generate more business (you think GSP's millions are from his fighting pay? Koscheck's cars?) he could've been pretty well off even if not a millionaire.

Stop blaming the world for you being a moron, Nate. Man up, get some dude on the payroll that knows how to manage money and use a successful and popular fighter's name to generate steady income and shut the **** up! Or, alternatively, don't sign a contract that you're gonna whine about ONE MONTH LATER!!!

* Edited at 04.09.2014, 10:22 AM ET *

cal1
cal1
  • Predictions:  22,053  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,001
  • Post Score: 251

04.09.2014 | 9:39 AM ET

LOL You clowns white knighting for Nate's 15k/15k contract and he makes 60k/60k STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSES MOUTH, I told you jokers to stop believing **** you read on every damn Mom & Pop mma website. 

"I can't tell you what my brother and Gil make, but I can tell you that they signed a contract for more than I get paid to headline and win a fight, and that's bullsh*t."

Nick and Gil got 6 figures just for SIGNING, that's pretty good money for, let's all admit it, a FRINGE and NICHE sport like MMA. I will slap the next person who ******* about fighter pay, go get your ******' shine boxes out for a better cause. 

"UFC 151 NEVER FORGET"

curtwag84
curtwag84
  • Predictions:  13,940  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,695
  • Post Score: 273

04.09.2014 | 9:52 AM ET

hes complaining about 60k/60k ?!?!!? thats special bus thinking right there. What's he want 100k/100k when hes not even top 5 anymore? The Diaz bros are complete tools. That whole Cesar Gracie camp is tools. I used to like Nate and Gilbert out of there but Nate has proven hes as dumb as his brother over the last 6 months. I guess Gilberts still cool I cant think of anything hes done to not like him but he needs to stay over at El Nino to train before some of the stupidity rubs off on him.

I almost felt bad about the 15k/15k rumors if they were true but now that they are proven false this is just crazy stupid.

"I'd like to take this chance, to appologize. To absolutely nobody. -Connor McGreGOAT"

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

04.09.2014 | 10:08 AM ET

Diaz is one of my favorite fighters but 60/60 seems actually pretty decent not sure why he thinks that is such a bad deal.

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

mmown
mmown
  • Predictions:  2,384  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  377
  • Post Score: 147

04.09.2014 | 10:37 AM ET

When is a Diaz brother not complaining?

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Trial Date Set for Former UFC Heavyweight Champion Cain Velasquez in Attempted Murder Case
  • Jits Magazine : PGF World Season 6: Day 3 Recap
  • MMAFighting.com : Shaq: Vitor Belfort knocked out person ‘talking crazy’ at bar
  • UFC.com : UFC UNFILTERED | Ariane Lipski, Austin Hubbard, UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez picks
  • MMA Junkie : Montana De La Rosa, Andrea Lee booked for UFC rematch in Louisville
  • MMA Mania : Cannonier Vs Imamov Headlines UFC Louisville
  • MMA Junkie : UFC's Tim Means doesn't expect to fight for long: 'I turned 40, I know my time is coming'
  • Bad Left Hook : Cieslak vs Chamberlain joins Billam-Smith vs Riakporhe 2 on June 15
  • Bad Left Hook : Michal Cieslak vs Isaac Chamberlain joins Billam-Smith vs Riakporhe 2 on June 15
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! BKFC ‘KnuckleMania 4’ Press Conference Video!
  • UFC.com : UFC Returns To Louisville For UFC Fight Night On June 8 At KFC Yum! Center
  • MMA Junkie : Tatiana Suarez campaigns for title shot vs. Zhang Weili at UFC 306: 'I get a submission 100 percent'
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302: Makhachev vs. Poirier adds key prospect bout
  • UFC.com : Gabriel Benitez: Still flying the flag
  • MMA Mania : A Special Message For Chinless Scumbags
  • UFC.com : Rhythm Is Gonna Get You: Why Timing Is Everything For Matheus Nicolau
  • MMA Junkie : Tatsuro Taira fills UFC 302 opening, fights Joshua Van
  • MMAFighting.com : Ronda Rousey blasts Joe Rogan, MMA media for turning on her: ‘They’re a bunch of assh*les’
  • Jits Magazine : BJJ Stars 12 Full Preview
  • MMA Junkie : Mike Malott books UFC return after upset loss to Neil Magny