Topic: Cormier vs. Cavalcante

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Idrownfish
Idrownfish
  • Predictions:  1,759  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,407
  • Post Score: 241

03.26.2014 | 9:57 PM ET

Prediction: Cormier  |  KO/TKO  |  Round 1

Knocking off the top contenders is as much the champion's job as it is the other contenders'. If I were Jones or Gustafsson I'd simply refuse to fight Cormier until he gets a top-5 win at LHW. That includes short-notice. Heck, Cormier has no top-5 wins at heavyweight either.

Glover getting a title shot is already completely absurd. He was repeatedly tagged by Ryan Bader, and it wasn't even the young, undefeated, "the next big thing at LHW" Ryan Bader. Cormier getting one is even worse. I know Cormier is skilled, and I know he has a chance against Jones, but that is not the point. He has to EARN his title shot. I have said this before, and I will say it again: beating the champion doesn't prove you are the best in your division. Earning your title shot and THEN beating the champion does.

* Edited at 03.26.2014, 11:17 PM ET *

"Let's just say if we fought again I wouldn't need to keep my hands up." - Luke Rockhold on Michael Bisping's punching power

Responses

MMAsamurai8
MMAsamurai8
  • Predictions:  1,206  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  152
  • Post Score: 50

03.26.2014 | 10:21 PM ET

glover maybe because he had been around so long before he came into the ufc because of the green card nonsense.

this cormier faijao fight isn't that great imo I think cormier should fight nogueira or rashad

but now that I think about it, after jones fights glover gustafsson is next so maybe cormier needs more lower level guys to keep some time before they give him the next shot.

not that feijao isn't sick himself. debut against thiago silva wasn't great but he could still make a run at the title

"Be water my freind"

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

03.26.2014 | 10:25 PM ET

If it was anyone other than Cormier, this would be a pretty good fight. He hasn't beaten anyone good at LHW and even the HW UFC wins are suspect. He's still riding high from that SF tourney. 

I think this is a good fight, but it's not title shot worthy.

Gus deserves the next shot anyway. This kinda puts Cormier on hold. Cormier needs a top 5 win or 2 top 10 wins IMO to get a title shot.

* Edited at 03.26.2014, 10:26 PM ET *

Timtek
Timtek
  • Predictions:  463  |  74.9%
  • Forum Posts:  48
  • Post Score: 165

03.26.2014 | 10:30 PM ET

"Heck, Cormier has no top-10 wins at heavyweight either."

Cormier defeated Bigfoot (4) who had just come off a huge win of Fedor (1). Then he beat up Barnett (5) and has beat every opponent since. Not really sure where you got your stats from. 

"I'm like a stepping razor don't you watch my size I'm dangerous. -P. Tosh"

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,473  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

03.26.2014 | 10:59 PM ET

Cormier has no top 10 wins at HW? What the actual ****. Roy Nelson, Mir, Barnett, and Bigfoot right after he beat the ******* HW GOAT.

"beating the champion doesn't prove you are the best in your division. Earning your title shot and THEN beating the champion does."

Beating the champ kind of means you earned your shot and being the champ of your division kind of does make you the best in it, but that's just like my opinion

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

03.26.2014 | 11:05 PM ET

Feijao is the LHW champion now? Congrats to him. I wasn't aware.

Edit: I don't understand the OP. Upset because Cormier isn't earning his title shot... He's fighting Feijao who's not even top 10 in the division. LHW is gonna be stacked up for a little while. Glover's getting his shot, after that I'm sure Gus will get another shot, and then maybe if DC has done enough a year or so from now he'll possibly be in line for the shot. Kinda jumping the gun on calling ******** for his title shot, seeing as how he's nowhere near it.

* Edited at 03.26.2014, 11:10 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 6 months, and 9 hours from now.
Idrownfish
Idrownfish

03.26.2014 | 11:11 PM ET

Oopsie. I meant top-5 heavyweight (I posted basically the same thing in another thread some minutes before making this one. It says top-5 HW there).

Anyway, this fight is ridiculous. This is the UFC blatantly trying to keep Cormier's winning streak alive so he can fight ******* Ryan Bader or something like that and then get a title shot. I know Light Heavyweight is having problems as a division right now, but contenders shouldn't be fighting this kind of overmatched competition in order to set a title shot up.

* Edited at 03.26.2014, 11:16 PM ET *

"Let's just say if we fought again I wouldn't need to keep my hands up." - Luke Rockhold on Michael Bisping's punching power

Idrownfish
Idrownfish

03.26.2014 | 11:20 PM ET

Live2wrestle: beating the champion means you have beat the champion. Congratulations. It doesn't mean you have earned your title shot, it just means that in a particular night, due to your skills as a fighter, your luck and possibly a bad matchup you have beat the champion. The champion is the last test you have to pass in order to be the best, not the only one. 

In my opinion one of the worst things that can happen in MMA is an illegitimate contender beating the champion.

* Edited at 03.26.2014, 11:24 PM ET *

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

03.26.2014 | 11:29 PM ET

The Dong does not approve of this thread

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones

03.26.2014 | 11:40 PM ET

If you beat the champion how can anyone say you were an illegitimate contender? There have been multiple occasions of a guy coming in from another promotion, impressing in his first fight or two and getting a title shot. Anderson Silva came in, beat Chris Leben, and was given a title shot. Are you really going to try to say he wasn't a legitimate contender?
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 6 months, and 9 hours from now.
Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

03.26.2014 | 11:45 PM ET

this is not 

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones

03.26.2014 | 11:47 PM ET

It's not DC's fault Rashad got hurt like a week before they were supposed to fight. And like I said in my first post, LHW is booked up for a while. Jones and Glover are going to fight in late April, barring any injuries or medical suspensions either Jones will be fighting Gus come late summer early fall or Jones will be rematching Glover. There's no way in hell DC will have the option of sitting out for 6 months to a year and wait for a shot at the title. He'll have to win one more fight after this one to get into the picture, and it will more than likely have to be against someone like Rashad, Phil Davis, Hendo or another top 5 or borderline top 5 LHW. IFFFF DC drops to 205, beats Patrick Cummins, Feijao, and then gets a title shot..I'll agree with you that it was too early, but I highly doubt that's going to happen.
Idrownfish
Idrownfish

03.27.2014 | 12:11 AM ET

CthulhuJones: Well... Yes. Anderson Silva proved during his reign (hell, he did it several times) that he was the clear number 1 middleweight in the UFC, but at the time I would say his three-minute thrashing of Rich Franklin didn't prove it.

What I am trying to say is: is it fair that Hendricks has to beat Fitch, Koscheck, Kampmann, Condit and Pierce in order to earn his shot while Glover has to beat Ryan Bader and no one else? Imagine if Glover catches Jones with one of his incredibly powerful hooks: will he hold the belt for long? Will his reign be as meaningful as Hendricks' or Weidman's, two people that were labeled the future of their divisions and went out of their ways to get the toughest fights possible on the way to the belt?

Urijah Faber had to beat Menjivar, Jorgensen, Alcântara and McDonald in order to get his latest title shot. Would you be that surprised if he added Barao to that list? If Wineland caught Barao with something, would he be automatically better than Barao, McDonald and Faber?

* Edited at 03.27.2014, 12:22 AM ET *

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones

03.27.2014 | 12:38 AM ET

There's waaaay more depth at 170, 185, and 135 than there is at 205. Guys like Koscheck, Fitch, Pierce, Alcantara, Menjivar, and Jorgensen and arguably even Martin Kampmann are all in that borderline top 10 area now. Same place Ryan Bader is in the LHW division. It sucks there's not more depth at LHW, but there's just not. I'd be pretty surprised if Faber was able to beat Barao. He's had his ass kicked by him for 6 rounds. If Wineland caught Barao with something he'd be champ, but he didn't catch Barao with anything. He ate a spinning back kick to the face. If Glover beats Jones his reign may last for a year or it may last one fight. There's no guarantee anyone is going to keep their belt and dominate their division. Weidman has had one title defense and Hendricks' has had none, so it's not like they've been the cream of the crop of their divisions long. These things tend to work themselves out in the cage.
Idrownfish
Idrownfish

03.28.2014 | 12:05 PM ET

Those guys are borderline top-10. And Hendricks had to consistently beat top-10/borderline top-10 opponents and then fight Condit for a chance to fight for the title.

Glover beat one borderline top-10 guy. One.

One of the first things we learn as predictors/bettors is that anything can happen, and that an individual fight means very little. By making your contender fight legit competition you pretty much guarantee he is going to be a legit champion when the time comes. Even if he loses in his first title defense.

* Edited at 03.28.2014, 12:08 PM ET *

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones

03.28.2014 | 12:57 PM ET

Glover also beat James Te Huna who most people had either in their top 10 or just outside of it at the time. Done with this conversation.
michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

03.28.2014 | 1:00 PM ET

now kiss.

"Frig off, bud"

xxTank0019xx
xxTank0019xx
  • Predictions:  6,155  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  2,364
  • Post Score: 169

03.28.2014 | 1:03 PM ET

"2012 GIF AV Grand Prix "FAH Q" Award winner!"

xxTank0019xx
xxTank0019xx

03.28.2014 | 1:06 PM ET

sorry @michigandolphin had to post that with that post.

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones

03.28.2014 | 1:08 PM ET

What's up with all the gay comments on here? You can't simply have a discussion about a topic without man on man physicality being brought up. Are the Tapology servers located just outside the closet, or what's the deal?
xxTank0019xx
xxTank0019xx

03.28.2014 | 1:09 PM ET

i have no idea what you two were talking about @cthulhujones.... probably should... 

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Kyoji Horiguchi, Sergio Pettis to rematch at Rizin 47 in June
  • MMAFighting.com : Sergio Pettis vs. Kyoji Horiguchi 2 announced for RIZIN 47 in June
  • MMAFighting.com : Gegard Mousasi lashes out at PFL over lack of communication, refusal to book him since buying Bellator
  • MMA Junkie : PFL heads to Mohegan Sun, Salt Lake City, Sioux Falls for second half of 2024 regular season
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Eventually he burns out’: Wilder only expects a strong first half from Zhang
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Eventually he burns out’: Deontay Wilder only expects a strong first half from Zhilei Zhang
  • MMA Mania : Jake Paul’s $10 Million Offer ‘Still Stands’ For MMA Debut
  • MMA Junkie : Jake Paul offers Jorge Masvidal, Nate Diaz $10 million for MMA fight
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Robert Whittaker not sold on Bo Nickal after UFC 300, says he has ‘work to do’ before fighting Top 10
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 live results (7 p.m. ET): Welterweights, featherweights in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : Masvidal ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, But First...
  • MMAFighting.com : Devin Haney vs. Ryan Garcia weigh-in video at 2 p.m. ET.
  • Jits Magazine : ADXC 4: Ffion Davies And Morgan Black Face Each Other In The Grappling Co-Main Event
  • Jits Magazine : Stacked Tournaments Confirmed For Midwest Finishers 18
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 Results: Koreshkov vs. Umalatov
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: ‘I Decide Who, When, And Where’
  • MMA Mania : Muhammad Goes Off On Edwards And ‘Fakest Team I’ve Ever Seen’
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia has skill set to compete with Devin Haney. Does he have mindset?
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway mocks Ilia Topuria’s demands for potential fight; Topuria responds
  • MMA Junkie : Henry Cejudo: Bo Nickal needs to hold his horses, 'maybe 10 fights away from possibly becoming UFC champion'