Tapology Forums

Fights to make following UFC 171 Hendricks vs. Lawler

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

sreimuth
sreimuth
  • Predictions:  79,284  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4,245
  • Post Score: 262

03.16.2014 | 12:53 AM ET

Johny Hendricks vs. Tyron Woodley (I guess)
Robbie Lawler vs. Demain Maia
Carlos Condit vs. Jake Ellenberger/Tarec Saffedine loser
Myles Jury vs. Joe Lauzon
Diego Sanchez vs. Gray Maynard
Hector Lombard vs. Rory McDonald
Jake Shields vs. Josh Koscheck
Ovince St. Preux vs. Rafael Cavalcante
Nikita Krylov vs. Patrick Cummins
Kelvin Gastelum vs. Mike Pyle
Rick Story vs. Mike Pierce
Jessica Andrade vs. Sarah Kaufman/Shayna Bazler winner
Raquel Pennington vs. Aleksandra Albu
Dennis Bermudez vs. Hatsu Hioki
Jimmy Hettes vs. Jim Alers/Alan Omer loser
Alex Garcia vs. Sergio Moraes
Sean Spencer vs. Robert Whittaker
Frank Trevino vs. Vinc Pichel
Justin Scoggins vs. Vaughn Lee
Will Campuzano vs. Neil Seery
Sean Strickland vs. Claudio da Silva
Robert Whiteford vs. Noad Lahat/Godofredo Pepey winner

Cut list: Daniel Pineda, Bubba McDaniel, Renee Forte

* Edited at 03.16.2014, 1:54 AM ET *

"Under my tutelage, you will grow from boys to men. From men into gladiators. And from gladiators into Swansons.- Ron Swanson https://www.instagram.com/seanreimuth/ Follow me."

Responses Page 2

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

03.16.2014 | 3:26 PM ET

I actually think GSP vs Hendricks II will be next, Dana seems adamant about getting GSP back and GSP seems like he's really found his zen as of late but still has the hunger to compete. So I think everyone will need at least one more win before a shot Woodley, Brown, Rory, Lombard, Kim ect. So matchmaking and performance will be key. 

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

Nomad
Nomad

03.16.2014 | 3:26 PM ET

Also Diaz is getting tossed in a big fight with title implications this year....blee dat.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

Timtek
Timtek
  • Predictions:  463  |  74.9%
  • Forum Posts:  48
  • Post Score: 165

03.16.2014 | 3:32 PM ET

"Robbie Lawler Vs Matt Brown /Erick Silva Loser"

Gotta disagree with you there. Lawler is still a top five welterweight right along with GSP and Hendricks. Robbie should be fighting winners and working his way right back to a shot.  

"I'm like a stepping razor don't you watch my size I'm dangerous. -P. Tosh"

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero
  • Predictions:  5,066  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,396
  • Post Score: 240

03.16.2014 | 3:34 PM ET

Pretty relative argument to say that Woodley was winning the fight. If there was 60 seconds left in the fight, sure, argue away but we all know that Condit gets better and better the longer the fighter goes and Woodley gets worse and worse. He was already gassing when Carlos hurt his knee. That fight was Condit's for the taking.......alas.....it's a pointless argument.

Him being my favorite fighter, I just hope he gets back healthy as soon as possible. For however long, the sport is a much poorer one without Carlos Condit.

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

03.16.2014 | 3:55 PM ET

I'm not speculating on what might have happened if the fight had went on, I'm saying that at the time of the injury Woodley was ahead on the scorecards, totally relevant since it seems a few of you are quick to discard him beating Condit on account of the injury.

All we have to go by is what actually happened, Condit could've picked up steam and banked on Woodley gassing or Woodley could've got his second wind or kept taking Condit down and edging out a victory, fact is we don't know.

What we do know is that round 1 was Woodley's and he had already scored in round 2, then the injury (which wasn't a freak injury, it was cause by Woodley's TD and then kick).

Imo, a clear cut victory over the #2 contender, which makes Woodley the #2 contender. 

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Nomad
Nomad

03.16.2014 | 4:14 PM ET

It looked to.me Condit was  starting to take over before that double leg. That said you can knock.some one out  a takedown, break.ribs and you can certainly injure.someones knee...Woodley injured Condit, he won, he was the better man....Im bitter about it, Id confidently pick Condit in a rematch 3 or 5 rounds but there's no excuses. 

Woodley vs Rory next please.

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  20,914  |  71.6%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

03.16.2014 | 4:28 PM ET

@yossgold

Clear cut victory? Not a freak injury? Woodley was ahead and he looked good sure but it was still a 50/50 fight with Condits cardio and finishing rate and Woodleys bad gas tank.

How is that not a freak injury? Woodley took Condit down because Carlos was turning it on, not because he wanted to hurt his knee. **** like that happens in 1 out of 10000 takedowns...definition of a freak injury.

Lombard beat Shields and Woodley didn't...

also this

vs

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

yossgold
yossgold

03.16.2014 | 4:33 PM ET

I think as long as Condit doesn't do some serious work on his TDD, guys like GSP, Hendricks, Woodley will always get the better of him (or at least have a damn good chance to) no matter how active his guard is, those guys can steer clear of most sub attempts.

Problem is, for Condit to get better TDD he basically needs to be less aggressive, which just isn't his style so we don't even know if that'll work for him either.

This might be an Oxymoron, but I think that even though Condit is the better (for lack of a more suitable word) fighter, Woodley would beat him more times than lose if they fought 10 times. Styles make matches and Tyrone is very strong exactly on Condit's glaring weakness, which may even be his only weakness, but it's a big one if we're talking about about that x-factor you need to go from #2 to #1 in the world.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

dielegende23
dielegende23

03.16.2014 | 4:51 PM ET

Well yeah Condit's wrestling is **** but many people think he still beat Hendricks. He beat Ellenberger and Dong too, guys that wanted to lay on him ya know?

GSP is obviously in a class for himself but Woodley isn't that good and I think Condit would be able to win most of the time...

But that isn't the point here is it?

I think Lombard deserves the title fight more, Shields had wins over Lawler, Condit and Woodley coming in to the Lombard fight, but he got wrecked, Woodley just got lucky.

Doesn't matter anyway, the UFC is prolly given it to Rory since money is the mosst important thing for Dana...

* Edited at 03.16.2014, 4:55 PM ET *

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

yossgold
yossgold

03.16.2014 | 4:57 PM ET

I agree with you on Lombard being the better pick, my whole Woodley thing was more to point out why he should be before Matt Brown than to argue him as the #1 contender. 

* Edited at 03.16.2014, 4:58 PM ET *

dielegende23
dielegende23

03.16.2014 | 5:03 PM ET

Oh OK didn't realize that. But like I said they will prolly make the Rory fight in Canada anyway. I don't think it was by accident that Rogan hyped Rory after the main event was over...

Idrownfish
Idrownfish
  • Predictions:  1,759  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,407
  • Post Score: 241

03.16.2014 | 5:46 PM ET

@yossgold 

Beating a fighter doesn't necessarily mean you are better than him.

"Let's just say if we fought again I wouldn't need to keep my hands up." - Luke Rockhold on Michael Bisping's punching power

ajjets10
ajjets10
  • Predictions:  957  |  58.1%
  • Forum Posts:  88
  • Post Score: -626

03.16.2014 | 6:04 PM ET

FFS people arguing condit turning it on before the injury, getting taken down at will is not turning it on. Maybe if he hurt his leg stuffing the takedown or something, but that clearly wasnt the case. He might have been doing better, but by no means was "turning it on". He was still losing the standup that round, and still couldnt stop the takedown.

stop making excuses for him, he got steamrolled last night, and playing but, what if,  or "he would have KO'd him in the third" game is just asinine.

He showed no signs of having anything that woodley was not prepared for.
Fendarr
Fendarr
  • Predictions:  1,564  |  60.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3
  • Post Score: 233

03.16.2014 | 6:27 PM ET

WW is really fun right now. Give Hendricks a break while contenders sort themselves out.

Lawler x Diaz II (good return for Nick, Robbie gets a chance to avenge his only KO loss and gets in discussion for a Johny rematch, big money fight)

Woodley x MacDonald (for the next title shot. Tyron lost to Shields two fights ago, his win over Carlos was impressive but he should get one more to really solidify himself as number one contender. Also, with another win Rory would be a nice challenge to Johny and they could do the whole "GSP's heir" thing.)

Lombard x [Brown x Silva] winner (This would make much more sense if Brown wins, which I'm assuming he will, as it can create another top contender for the division.)

Kampmann x Maia (both top 15 guys that need to get back on the winning track. It depends on when Kamp is planning to return but I think it would be a good fight)

Kim x [Saffiedine x Ellenberger] winner (see who breaks into the super stacked top 10)

Some other less important fights you could make:

Gastelum x Pyle; Pyle x Thompson; Gastelum x Koscheck; Gastelum x [Brown x Silva] loser; Thatch x Nelson;

Just some ideas.

" It's only pain, it will not hurt you. - Bas Rutten"

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero
  • Predictions:  5,066  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,396
  • Post Score: 240

03.16.2014 | 6:35 PM ET

@ajjets10

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

ajjets10
ajjets10
  • Predictions:  957  |  58.1%
  • Forum Posts:  88
  • Post Score: -626

03.16.2014 | 6:42 PM ET

@jaffacakehero

full ******? Full ****** is making an argument about a guy slowing down when he exploded with a lightning fast double leg and then landed a vicious leg kick.

so sorry I am not gonna make excuses for your favorite fighter and act as if he was doing anything at that point besides losing.

If he was slowing down and condit was turning it on, Condit would have stuffed that takdown and dodged his punches. He failed to do any of that in that round.

* Edited at 03.16.2014, 6:46 PM ET *

unbeknownst
unbeknownst
  • Predictions:  5,020  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,679
  • Post Score: 208

03.16.2014 | 8:05 PM ET

People are trying to give Condit a pass. IDK, I really dislike Woodley but if Condit were a better mixed martial artist he would have better TDD and could of beat Woodley. But he has sloppy TDD which directly led to him blowing out his knee. I don't think I've ever seen Condit sprawl.

He's just not top tier. He definitely has a ceiling, and we've all seen it. I know it's a tough pill to swallow for a lot of you (that will lead you to down vote this post). But it's the reality of the situation, and those of you that don't see it are just living in denial. 

Condit might be fun sometimes to watch but he doesn't have anything for fighters that use their wrestling in their offense.   

"I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture, and kill them."

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

03.16.2014 | 8:16 PM ET

people thinking woodley's win last night was impressive is giving me tons of laughs.

Johny used his wrestling and what did that do for him, he could not keep Condit down.  Woodley took conduit down and was in trouble because of Condit's aggressive guard.  

I scored the first round last night for Woodley, but feel Condit was starting to takeover before injury.  

Despite what a couple people think here Condit is one of the Premier fighters walking the planet.

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

Idrownfish
Idrownfish
  • Predictions:  1,759  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,407
  • Post Score: 241

03.16.2014 | 8:17 PM ET

Condit has one of the best guards in the business and is extremely technical, fluid and creative with his striking. Woodley could do nothing on the ground (and was actively avoiding to do anything useful with his takedowns).

"Let's just say if we fought again I wouldn't need to keep my hands up." - Luke Rockhold on Michael Bisping's punching power

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

03.16.2014 | 8:18 PM ET

Condit stands way to upright and it makes it very simple especially for good wrestlers like Woodley to take him down. As a Condit fan it was frustrating to see that he had not looked better at defending a takedown. Condit has said before he doesn't mind getting taken down because he's very confident in his guard but it's not working against the high level guys he fights. 

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Ariane Lipski plots her 'best performance ever' against Karine Silva at UFC on ESPN 55
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This will be one of Canelo’s better performances’: Ellerbe expects showcase victory against Munguia
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight-week press conference live stream (6 p.m. ET)
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 press conference video at 6 p.m. ET
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Louisville lineup announced: Dominick Reyes vs. Dustin Jacoby, but no main event official
  • MMA Mania : Wanna Bet Someone Misses Weight? Now You Can!
  • MMA Junkie : Ronda Rousey thinks Joe Rogan, media turned on her after knockout losses: 'They're a bunch of assh*les'
  • MMAFighting.com : Curtis Blaydes: Tom Aspinall fight at UFC 304 makes sense, but I learned ‘don’t get my hopes up’
  • Middle Easy : Trial Date Set for Former UFC Heavyweight Champion Cain Velasquez in Attempted Murder Case
  • MMA Junkie : Israel Adesanya will always respect 'special fighter' Alex Pereira
  • Jits Magazine : PGF World Season 6: Day 3 Recap
  • MMAFighting.com : Shaq: Vitor Belfort knocked out person ‘talking crazy’ at bar
  • UFC.com : UFC UNFILTERED | Ariane Lipski, Austin Hubbard, UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez picks
  • MMA Junkie : Montana De La Rosa, Andrea Lee booked for UFC rematch in Louisville
  • MMA Mania : Cannonier Vs Imamov Headlines UFC Louisville
  • MMA Junkie : UFC's Tim Means doesn't expect to fight for long: 'I turned 40, I know my time is coming'
  • Bad Left Hook : Cieslak vs Chamberlain joins Billam-Smith vs Riakporhe 2 on June 15
  • Bad Left Hook : Michal Cieslak vs Isaac Chamberlain joins Billam-Smith vs Riakporhe 2 on June 15
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! BKFC ‘KnuckleMania 4’ Press Conference Video!
  • UFC.com : UFC Returns To Louisville For UFC Fight Night On June 8 At KFC Yum! Center