Tapology Forums

What grinds your gears? (MMA)

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

03.12.2014 | 9:08 AM ET

This is a thread to voice your peeves, what you find ignorant, annoying or you just hate that can be attached to  the sport.

Ill name 3 that come to.mind immediately.

1. "Latinos are taking the sport over like boxing" " Blacks will dominate this sport like NBA and NFL" or "In 10 years every champ will be Russian". Sigh, if people only knew how stupid these beliefs are...

2. The **** erotic stigma attached to MMA, grappling and wrestling. Even in Jest, **** is getting old.

3. That theres three facets to MMA " wrestling, Jiu Jitsu and Kickboxing ". Dumb **** right there if that's all you can see or think people train or all that works...just come on. 

What are some of yours?

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

Responses Page 5

cal1
cal1
  • Predictions:  22,053  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,001
  • Post Score: 251

03.13.2014 | 3:49 PM ET

But I have to blame someone and I can't remember the judge's names!

"UFC 151 NEVER FORGET"

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

03.13.2014 | 3:56 PM ET

Cecil Peoples, and Adalaide Byrd. 

Who could have guessed that these two couldn't judge a fight correctly if their life depended on it. One of them probably can't see her own hand in front of her face by the looks of her glasses and the other's too busy throwing hadookens.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 3 weeks, 3 days, 3 hours, and 42 minutes from now.
jmcdowell
jmcdowell
  • Predictions:  1,448  |  63.7%
  • Forum Posts:  450
  • Post Score: 188

03.13.2014 | 4:10 PM ET

hahahahaha "hadookens"

"“I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious” - Lombardi"

cal1
cal1
  • Predictions:  22,053  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,001
  • Post Score: 251

03.13.2014 | 4:12 PM ET

I was watching some old Myles Jury fights a few months back and I think that is him in the infamous Cecil Peoples gif. 

"UFC 151 NEVER FORGET"

Nomad
Nomad

03.14.2014 | 9:48 AM ET

Dana Whites.prefight scrum grinded the **** out of my gears. A few tid bits of it.

1. Johny Hendricks vs Robbie Lawler won't.be no wrestling match they're going to take.eachothers heads off.

2. Anyone can get a shot at the title if they perform but Condit isn't promised anything upon a win.

3. Mexico.will dominate the lower weight.classes like it has in boxing since the beginning of time. 

4. A reporter states that banning trt isnt a solution to the problem,.simply a step forward no.stricter.more regular tests must be done. Dana literally has a fit and makes jokes at the guy laughing at him.

Seriously......The guy isn't my cup of tea...and I think infiltrating Thailand and Cambodia is beter than.the.Mexican idea if we.are talking 135,125 and possible 115. Muay Thai and Khmer pedigrees are way better than.boxing as they train trips, sweeps, kicks, knees, elbows, punches, clinching..and also.they martial artists, non just athletes like a boxer they also do a lot of spiritual training. Dana wants Mexico.because it means more.PPV potential, it is by far.non most apted for MMA, even in smaller weight classes and selling all these "mexican" AMERICANS.as Mexicans is a sham. Also Thailand has a strong boxing culture too they usually just stay amateur.because they get paid more winning medals than American.based promotions will pay them as champions.

Its clear Dana wants to focus on striking in MMA, he often talks it up and talks down the more grappling aspects. In the promos and highlight reels he hardly shows anything but punches. It's sickening and really bad for the sport to see things this way.

Condit clearly deserves the shot if he wins....He knocked out Rory, Kampmann and Kim. He beat Ellenberger and a lot of people thought he beat Hendricks. Beating Woodley is a serious feather for Condit because it shows if he can handle such a "wrestler" that Johnys plan to victory in a rematch isn't so simple. Everyone knows Johny will lose to Carlos in a 5 round fight anyways.

As for the testing....I mean, you might as wel legalize all PEDs year round until you're 3 weeks out so you can "pass the test" . Honestly you have to be committed to always playing catchup with the advances in performance enhancing drugs with your testing methods to.even catch cheaters....he literally doesn't even test.guys every fight even.....guys have claimed to be tested 4 of 11 fights and **** sometimes.

I know Bills nuttier than squirrel **** but he's right voicing all his worries about the sport and UFC...If the UFC does ******** testing then Bellator and WSOF wil only do ******** testing too.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

jerry5
jerry5
  • Predictions:  1,893  |  56.2%
  • Forum Posts:  179
  • Post Score: 81

03.14.2014 | 10:38 AM ET

You can't realistically test every fighter every fight because the PED tests cost money and UFC's not going to take a hit like that (though if they did, it would come out of fighter pay.) I have to agree with the ban. And I agree people will always find a way to cheat (it's like that for everything in life.) Stricter punishments for those caught cheating will discourage many from cheating but not all.

If I was president of the UFC, I would emplace a 2 year ban from the UFC if you're caught cheating (NSAC I think has a 1 year ban, so the fighter will have a whole year to fight acclimated to non-TRT fighting (outside the UFC, 1 year outside Nevada) and once the ban is over they can come back or the UFC can terminate their contract.)

"The young grow old, our pain and toys get bigger"

Nomad
Nomad

03.14.2014 | 11:13 AM ET

Im not saying test every fighter everytime but they need to always find ways to test more strictly and always be advancing their tests. Also yes, of course they need to punish them more severely. The UFC doesn't care if you cheat just as long as you don't get caught....That's the truth, they give no ****s to cleaning up the sport. 

Like Rumble said " Maybe if we were paid like top MLB playerd we wouldn't have to use steroids" he was.mocking the UFC with that statement just very cleverly.

wilflet
wilflet
  • Predictions:  8,201  |  59.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,413
  • Post Score: 228

03.14.2014 | 12:56 PM ET

I think more out of competition testing would help. Like how they got Overeem at the press conference.
Commissions turning up at random press conferences, conventions, any media **** (or training camps if they are in the state) with the jurisdiction to say if youve got a licence to fight in this state (or a pending application) piss in this bucket or its not going to stay that way.
 Getting yourself to pass a test on fight night is one thing- but having to also do it in time for media stuff a week out, and a press conference early in your camp, and even if your not fighting on that card be clean for when your cornering your team mate who fights a few weeks before you, and make sure your clean when your booked to do a fan Q&A even though you dont have a fight booked.... that makes getting away with it much much harder.
They wouldnt have to turn up every time, just enough to make it a risk fighters factor in. doubt it will become common place because of money, but we can dream.

"Demons run when a good man goes to war."

Nomad
Nomad

03.14.2014 | 1:37 PM ET

Great post Wilflet, I don't even have much to ad other than I'd like then to be able to test year round aslong as you're under contract even. Of course don't test for drugs like cocaine or whatever but for PEDs only. It'd.be nice if they really started cracking down like crazy.

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner
  • Predictions:  9,964  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,398
  • Post Score: 283

03.18.2014 | 10:03 AM ET

ESPN's coverage on MMA. Seriously becomes a joke sometimes, due too lack of sustaince, delay of news, mis information (seriously they mix up which Nog brother is which all the time). And good god, the horrible puns of the title of the articles. Okmamotto is bad, espn should feel bad.

The british guy is good though I enjoy him speak on the topic.

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Bark Twain

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

03.18.2014 | 10:03 AM ET

Ariel Halwani

enough said

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Bark Twain

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

03.18.2014 | 10:09 AM ET

The fact that someone can like a fighter or the way he fights for his own reasons and be automatically labeled as a nut hugger.

jmcdowell
jmcdowell
  • Predictions:  1,448  |  63.7%
  • Forum Posts:  450
  • Post Score: 188

03.18.2014 | 12:07 PM ET

AMEN!

*side note, I am the BIGGEST Mark Hominick nuthugger*

"“I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious” - Lombardi"

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

03.18.2014 | 2:33 PM ET

mark hominick is sooooo bad.

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

nogfan
nogfan
  • Predictions:  15,253  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,269
  • Post Score: 199

03.18.2014 | 4:11 PM ET

I get really bothered with the UFC trying to still make a star out of Benson Henderson when they know that the fans don' like him.  That and putting Alexander Gustaffson on Fox Sports 2 cards, over promoting Ronda Rousey and barely talking about Mighty Mouse,  Chael Sonnen's pro wrestling ****,  The rushing of Kelvin Gastelum into the top 10, UFC rankings,  The fact Scott Jorgensen is 1-4 and stil in the top 15 at flyweight and isn't in risk of getting cut while they cut Okami for getting KO'd by Jacare who's a beast,  Tyson Griffin,  Akira Corassani,  and Edwin Figueroa being hyped as a good striker. 
CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

03.18.2014 | 4:29 PM ET

Benson Henderson made a star out of himself with the whole winning of the title thing. Gustafsson got a fairly easy fight to keep the rematch with Jones alive and added some star power to an otherwise pretty lackluster card name wise. I agree with you about Rousey, enough of her already. Mighty Mouse gets plenty of attention and recognition. It seems like he's had a few title defenses on Fox/Fuel/Fox Sports cards. Chael Sonnen is God. Kelvin Gastelum has done nothing but impress and improve in every fight he's been in. Scott Jorgensen is a top 15 flyweight, he's skilled, exciting, and his last 4 losses have been to Zach Makovsky (Jorgensen's debut at 125) Urijah Faber, Eddie Wineland, and Renan Barao. Good luck to anyone who gets that murderer's row. I don't agree with the Okami cut, but in fairness he was expensive, and an extreme grinder/lay and prayer, As far as Griffin, Corassani, and Figueroa being good strikers, eh...Griffin and Corassani aren't technically bad, but seem to lack finishing ability at this point in their careers. Figueroa hits hard but lacks the technique needed and leaves himself open to counters.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 3 weeks, 3 days, 3 hours, and 42 minutes from now.
yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

03.19.2014 | 7:37 AM ET

I read: "words words words words words words words words words words Chael Sonnen is god words words words words words words words words words words words words "

I up voted you :)

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

mmawizzard
mmawizzard
  • Predictions:  49,352  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,206
  • Post Score: 147

05.26.2014 | 12:44 AM ET

Steve Mazzagatti

* Edited at 05.26.2014, 12:45 AM ET *

"Wizzard of Tapology"

Corey Wamsley
Corey Wamsley
  • Predictions:  9,873  |  62.3%
  • Forum Posts:  284
  • Post Score: 124

05.26.2014 | 2:05 PM ET

all the excuses from the Brazilian fighters and their coaches

"To win without risk is to triumph without glory"

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

05.26.2014 | 4:56 PM ET

Do fans not like Benson Henderson? I don't care for him for several reasons. But I feel that LW is filled with so many killers and better fighters than he that most people root for Pettis or Thomson rather than against Bendo.

* Edited at 05.26.2014, 4:56 PM ET *

Page 5

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : PGF World Season 6: Day 3 Recap
  • UFC.com : UFC UNFILTERED | Ariane Lipski, Austin Hubbard, UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez picks
  • MMA Junkie : Montana De La Rosa, Andrea Lee booked for UFC rematch in Louisville
  • MMA Mania : Cannonier Vs Imamov Headlines UFC Louisville
  • MMA Junkie : UFC's Tim Means doesn't expect to fight for long: 'I turned 40, I know my time is coming'
  • Bad Left Hook : Cieslak vs Chamberlain joins Billam-Smith vs Riakporhe 2 on June 15
  • Bad Left Hook : Michal Cieslak vs Isaac Chamberlain joins Billam-Smith vs Riakporhe 2 on June 15
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! BKFC ‘KnuckleMania 4’ Press Conference Video!
  • UFC.com : UFC Returns To Louisville For UFC Fight Night On June 8 At KFC Yum! Center
  • MMA Junkie : Tatiana Suarez campaigns for title shot vs. Zhang Weili at UFC 306: 'I get a submission 100 percent'
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302: Makhachev vs. Poirier adds key prospect bout
  • UFC.com : Gabriel Benitez: Still flying the flag
  • MMA Mania : A Special Message For Chinless Scumbags
  • UFC.com : Rhythm Is Gonna Get You: Why Timing Is Everything For Matheus Nicolau
  • MMA Junkie : Tatsuro Taira fills UFC 302 opening, fights Joshua Van
  • MMAFighting.com : Ronda Rousey blasts Joe Rogan, MMA media for turning on her: ‘They’re a bunch of assh*les’
  • Jits Magazine : BJJ Stars 12 Full Preview
  • MMA Junkie : Mike Malott books UFC return after upset loss to Neil Magny
  • MMAFighting.com : Between the Links: Ryan Garcia silences doubters, Dana White’s victory lap, UFC Vegas 91 vs. KnuckleMania
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch BTL live now